Forum › Yuri Is My Job! discussion

joined Mar 15, 2015

Yuri Is My Job is now available on Renta! It's a bit surprising that they're including a few relatively popular series like Whispering You A Love Song and If I Could Reach You, since until recently, their yuri selection was fairly niche.

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

60 chapters in and there isn't even a single pairing that works. What a waste of time.

last edited at Apr 30, 2023 2:59AM

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

Judging by the comments on this site, I don't think watayuri is going to dethrone MagiRevo in terms of "studio being passionate about yuri and pulling a huge power move, shuffling around the adaptation specifically so they can adapt farther and explicitly have them be in love and kiss" because I really truly doubt it's possible to shove a minimum of six volumes into one cour

joined Feb 11, 2022

Judging by the comments on this site, I don't think watayuri is going to dethrone MagiRevo in terms of "studio being passionate about yuri and pulling a huge power move, shuffling around the adaptation specifically so they can adapt farther and explicitly have them be in love and kiss"

A show like MagiRevo is much more appealing to the average male viewer's fantasy. Yuri is My Job! can't compete in that regard, and I honestly don't mind. I think its writing quality speaks for itself.

because I really truly doubt it's possible to shove a minimum of six volumes into one cour

It's definitely possible, but the studio opted for a super faithful adaptation, without rushing anything nor skipping scenes (at least so far), and I respect them for that, as I love the current pace (whether it's the right decision from a business point of view is another matter). The problem with not adapting up to Volume 6 is the lack of a proper payoff and the possibility of people believing the series is Yuri bait.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

Chapter 57
I have no idea what's going on anymore. We're reaching levels of melodrama I didn't think were possible. I'm just waiting for Geouido to twirl her mustache and reveal she is Yano long thought dead twin who is pregnant from having sex with Nene. This Kanoko subplot is killing some of my love of the series.

Soo%20nice
joined May 10, 2013

I like this drama, I wasn't expecting it

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Chapter 57
I have no idea what's going on anymore. We're reaching levels of melodrama I didn't think were possible. I'm just waiting for Geouido to twirl her mustache and reveal she is Yano long thought dead twin who is pregnant from having sex with Nene. This Kanoko subplot is killing some of my love of the series.

It feels a little contrived at this point but i don't think the whole deal about Goeidou is all that mysterious or complex. Barring any future reveals how it looks to me is that Goeidou is a hedonistic manipulator who gets a kick out of making ppl dance to her tune despite or exactly bc it goes contrary to their own feelings/wishes. And she seems to have pegged Sumika as her favorite target bc she's such a polar opposite to her "play hard, care less" attitude when it comes to "love"/relationships. That's why she keeps preying on the issues of ppl close to her like Nene or Kanoko.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

Chapter 57

It feels a little contrived at this point but i don't think the whole deal about Goeidou is all that mysterious or complex. Barring any future reveals how it looks to me is that Goeidou is a hedonistic manipulator who gets a kick out of making ppl dance to her tune despite or exactly bc it goes contrary to their own feelings/wishes. And she seems to have pegged Sumika as her favorite target bc she's such a polar opposite to her "play hard, care less" attitude when it comes to "love"/relationships. That's why she keeps preying on the issues of ppl close to her like Nene or Kanoko.

Oh I get it, I was being facetious about not knowing what's going on. I just hate this characterization as it feels like it's simplifying her character as just "the villain". I was hoping for more shading.

joined Jun 21, 2021

Chapter 57

Oh I get it, I was being facetious about not knowing what's going on. I just hate this characterization as it feels like it's simplifying her character as just "the villain". I was hoping for more shading.

oohhh okay, gotcha xD yeaa i get what you mean, it's a little caricature-esque. i also hope she'll get some more depth

joined Feb 11, 2022

I think this Arc had some of the best written chapters in the entire series, but to each their own. The manga shifted its tone lone ago by now, so no one should be surprised by all the drama.

Chapter 57: It was always pretty clear from her first appearance back in Volume 4 that Youko was/is a psychopath.These types of people like to play with people and their feelings. There isn't really much more to it. I just hope she stays well away from Yano and Hime.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

I think this Arc had some of the best written chapters in the entire series, but to each their own. The manga shifted its tone lone ago by now, so no one should be surprised by all the drama.

Chapter 57: It was always pretty clear from her first appearance back in Volume 4 that Youko was/is a psychopath.These types of people like to play with people and their feelings. There isn't really much more to it. I just hope she stays well away from Yano and Hime.

The Nene focused chapters were really good, I'm not saying all of this was terrible.

And there is a difference between drama and whatever this was.

joined Feb 11, 2022

Both Volume 12 (beautiful cover, as always) and an anthology of the series will be out this month. The manga went from 600000 copies in circulation for Volumes 1-11 to 1 million copies in circulation for Volumes 1-12. Great news.

joined Jun 21, 2021

Chapter 58: this was simultaneously the grossest and most vindicating chapter of the whole manga so far. damn that punch felt good

last edited at May 22, 2023 1:15AM

joined Nov 27, 2016

Chapter 58: bro this chapter got me pissed off. I already hated this fucking character but this was hard to get through. And why does the best character gotta suffer so much emotional damage. The worst part is I feel like evil black hair girl is just gonna start spewing crap again and get away with it. Here’s hoping Nene or Sumika won’t stand for it and will stand up to her but who knows.
if anyone’s got spoilers on the next chapters, please tell me Sumika gets a good ending

last edited at May 22, 2023 8:50AM

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

Chapter 59
If there's one thing I didn't expect from this for the first 50 chapters, it was a rape plotline. Ugh.

joined Jun 21, 2021

rarely does a character inspire as much hatred and disgust for them in me as fucking Goeidou. Oof.

joined Feb 11, 2022

Well, I have finally been able to read all the most recent chapters.

Chapter 58: I thought the ending of Chapter 57 was bait on Youko's part, but she really started to assault Kanoko, both physically and mentally. And damn, what a beautiful and satisfying last page that one was. Because it wasn't a simple slap, but a punch with a clenched fist. I love you, Sumika.

Chapter 59: What an absolute and complete psychopath Youko is. I don't like Kanoko, but I was sad to see her like that, with such a worrysome body language.

Chapter 60: Just like with the kiss between Yano and Hime back in Volume 6, this kiss caught me off guard. I have to say that I didn't like a bit how Kanoko tried to force Sumika afterwards to take off her clothes, but I understand that her state of mind was a complete mess due to many factors. I was afraid that they were actually going to have sex, something that in my opinion would have been a bad decision on the author's part, but luckily it ended in a wholesome tone. Thank God Sumika is always so mature.

Chapter 61: I really like how an event that happened six volumes ago (the kiss Yano gave to Hime) turned out to be so important to the whole current plot (which the former isn't even part of). The way things unfolded feel completely natural and believable to me: Kanoko starting to avoid Yano (more than usual) because she was angry that Hime continued to be her friend after the confession, Hime wrongly guessing that the reason was because Yano liked women, Kanoko denying it and saying that Yano was probably just doing it because it was a trend and that her love wasn't serious, Hime telling her about the kiss to convince her, Kanoko trying to tell Sumika about it, Sumika rejecting her, Kanoko contacting Youko, etc.

last edited at Jun 19, 2023 11:46PM

Untitled-compressed
joined Jun 5, 2023

Do anyone know the song in ep 9, when Hime and Kanoko on the rooftop, I couldn't find it anywhere, even in the original Soundtrack

joined Feb 11, 2022

Do anyone know the song in ep 9, when Hime and Kanoko on the rooftop, I couldn't find it anywhere, even in the original Soundtrack

Did you try asking on the Discord or in the subreddit?

Untitled-compressed
joined Jun 5, 2023

Did you try asking on the Discord or in the subreddit?

No. I just listened to the entire CD Original Soundtrack and didn't recognize any songs that resembled the music in that part

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

just binged the manga after the anime ended and man the amount of different emotions I got out of it is quite something, glad I finally manage to do so after years since it started.

but jeez now I am left with this stinging feeling on me, not only cause having to wait for new chapters after binging something always give me the whiplash...

but mostly cause I really really Really wish Sumika and Nene could be together in the end... like I don't dislike Kanoko and I would like to see how she would develop proper feelings for Sumika, and I am happy at the resolution they reach to amend their relationship and the importance of Nene finally confessing her feelings even if they couldn't be reciprocrated and moving foward now...

but I still feel like things could work out for them if they could reach a point where they could approach the idea at their own pace.

Also if Hime and Yano's relationship can go through a break up, then make up, then someone confessing and accepting that their feelings can't be reciprocrated and moving foward from this new point in their relationship to eventually probably getting together in the future (assuming they as the original main pairing do anyway) then dang it I am just going to hold on to my hope that Sumika and Nene's reltionship could take that turn in the future

Granted I don't know how often, if ever, we see in yuri manga a case where a reltionship the story establishes and gets a lot of focus doesn't end together and also have one of the character end up with someone else, so I know the chances are low orz

Also also I don't mean to dismiss what the story is trying to say or its themes ^^;; I just have lingering hopes that it could go that way and work within the story's themes

last edited at Jun 27, 2023 6:33PM

Untitled-compressed
joined Jun 5, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLtcAe9HgeU
Here, does anyone know the OST in this video?

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

Ch 63
If that ending means that Sumika is going to try to get over Kanoko I think I will cheer. But it's ambiguous enough that it's not clear it means anything yet.

joined Apr 16, 2022

Granted I don't know how often, if ever, we see in yuri manga a case where a reltionship the story establishes and gets a lot of focus doesn't end together and also have one of the character end up with someone else, so I know the chances are low orz

Also also I don't mean to dismiss what the story is trying to say or its themes ^^;; I just have lingering hopes that it could go that way and work within the story's themes

Sumika/Kanoko has received so much development and foreshadowing that it's extremely likely they'll get together at some point. The ending of chapter 63 doesn't change this, since it could also mean Sumika is letting go of her attachment to the idealized Kanoko of Liebe now that she's gotten closer to the real Kanoko. But that doesn't necessarily mean they'll stay together the entire way through; breakup arcs are not unheard of.

Speaking for myself, while I also prefer Sumika/Nene, recent chapters, specifically 63, has warmed me up to Sumika/Kanoko more. Sumika is a very kind and caring person who genuinely feels fulfilled by helping others, while Kanoko is a needy person who wants to be pampered. In that sense they actually fit together quite well.

joined Feb 11, 2022

Chapter 63: Beautiful chapter. Even though I don't like Kanoko, I have to admit that these last few chapters have made me sympathize a lot more with her and her issues. I'm not entirely sure how to interpret the last page, but it seems almost impossible to me that Kanoko and Sumika won't end up together after all the development they received in this Arc (which started 20 chapters ago). I still prefer the Sumika/Nene pairing though, so I wouldn't complain.

Too bad there's no new chapter this month. I'm really curious to know what's going to happen next. I really miss Yano and Hime, so being able to see them interact for at least couple of pages in Chapter 61.5 was nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLtcAe9HgeU
Here, does anyone know the OST in this video?

I tried to find it, but as you said in your previous message, it doesn't seem to be part of the official soundtrack. What a shame.

last edited at Aug 27, 2023 1:43PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.