Forum › The Story of Unforgettable Witch discussion

Screenshot%202022-05-05%20at%2020.52.05%20copy
joined Sep 23, 2021

While interesting, I don’t think our protagonist is particularly bright given her supposed age. For one it would be REALLY easy to determine which day was chosen. She just needs to keep a journal and mark down a number for each day. Which ever number is kept when the next day comes around is the day that was chosen.

Also, it would be actually pretty easy to prove what’s happening with the help of 1 other person. This person wouldn’t even have to know about her condition. Simply ask them to generate an word file with a ton of randomized words. The next day after the word file is generated she’ll ask to be told a specific number word in the sequence. Whenever a day is chosen she can reiterate all the words she learned from the days that weren’t chosen, proving she has information she couldn’t have.

the first idea is good, i think, but as for the second, how would anyone but her know what the correct strings of words from non-chosen days were in order to check?

Mina_run
joined Apr 16, 2018

While interesting, I don’t think our protagonist is particularly bright given her supposed age. For one it would be REALLY easy to determine which day was chosen. She just needs to keep a journal and mark down a number for each day. Which ever number is kept when the next day comes around is the day that was chosen.

Also, it would be actually pretty easy to prove what’s happening with the help of 1 other person. This person wouldn’t even have to know about her condition. Simply ask them to generate an word file with a ton of randomized words. The next day after the word file is generated she’ll ask to be told a specific number word in the sequence. Whenever a day is chosen she can reiterate all the words she learned from the days that weren’t chosen, proving she has information she couldn’t have.

the first idea is good, i think, but as for the second, how would anyone but her know what the correct strings of words from non-chosen days were in order to check?

The person who generated the list would know. They would generate the list a day before beginning the experiment so that it would remain fixed.

Sans%20titre-1
joined Dec 19, 2020

I really like the effort authors put in the consistency of the timeline. Time travel stuff can get pretty wacky when contradictions appear in the story, but this manga (light-novel) does a perfect job so far

Sans%20titre-1
joined Dec 19, 2020

The person who generated the list would know. They would generate the list a day before beginning the experiment so that it would remain fixed.

But what if every time she does that, the day that is finally selected is the 1st one (i.e. the only day when she has no prior info on the word list)? Then in canonical timeline, the other person would just hear from the MC that she doesn't know the word.

EDIT: Oh you actually meant doing it on 3 different days? Yeah indeed that would work, as long as there is two iterations of the second day. But although convincing, I don't think it's the most persuading proof for the other person lol

last edited at Oct 22, 2022 1:49AM

Ss%20(2022-10-15%20at%2007.19.30)
joined Aug 19, 2021

I just read the first two chapters (I totally forgot to read when the first one came out) and wow, I am so excited for this series. I have huge expectations.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

So the thing about all this is, I could enjoy the story if I could treat it like something along the lines of science fiction--like, what's happening to her is very weird, but it's kind of just a thing that happens. But there's something fundamentally . . . I don't know how to put this. It's internally consistent, but that internal consistency doesn't point to just some kind of supernatural phenomenon, it points to AGENCY. Like, it seems the story is definitely pointing to the notion that some kind of consciousness is involved.

But . . . OK, so suspending disbelief in some weird time loop thing is one thing. Suspending disbelief that some malign, incredibly powerful intelligence has decided to consistently, labour intensively mess with the life of a random toddler for years on end apparently just because . . . I can't do it. It just SCREAMS at me constantly that the story is entirely shaped around the desired effect. I lose connection to the very suffering I'm supposed to be empathizing with.

joined Mar 28, 2022

The first one is really nice, or for smt similar she could write a diary at the end of the day. That way she can mark down what she learned in that day, so the next day when she looks back she can figure what she's supposed to know and not know in the canonical timeline.

De00e7f3-5d55-4e3c-951c-ebac52dc90c4_1_102_o
joined Jul 14, 2021

this is really cool

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Hmm, if "random" events happen differently in each timeline, then it strongly points towards quantum nondeterminism affecting the macro scale. In particular, it would appear to refute superdeterminism (as well as hidden variables, but those are already covered by Bell inequality). What I am saying is that Ayaka could make a career in theoretical physics if she can just design an experiment that couples the quantum with the macro world.

last edited at Oct 23, 2022 8:35AM

Screenshot_3
joined Jun 24, 2021

instantly one of my favorites just from the premise itself

joined Mar 15, 2015

The first one sounds like a possibly good idea, but as for the second one, I'm curious as to how Ayaka would convince someone to accept her rather odd request without explaining her condition. Considering what happened when she tried explaining it to her mother, and that she doesn't have anyone who trusts her implicitly enough to listen to such a request, I'm not surprised that she gave up on the idea of people believing her. As such, I think judging her as not "particularly bright" based on this oversight is a bit harsh.

Personally, it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when viewers of fictional media who are able to watch the story dispassionately, with the benefit of time to digest what they've seen and knowledge of the consequences of characters' choices, second-guess decisions made by characters in the story, who may not know as much as the viewers do and/or may have emotional baggage that affects their decisions. It's personally more than a little odd that viewers who take all that effort to think of the things a character should have done seldom take the time or effort to see things from the character's perspective.

Incidentally, I have to wonder if fiction like Groundhog Day exists in this series' universe. For all Ayaka knows, not only are there no other people like her, but no one has even imagined the concept of a person who relives each day multiple times.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant; as I said, this is a pet peeve of mine.

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Even without lesbians, this is an extremely interesting premise! It's also rare that a story can properly convey the horror of something existential like this.

(Though my immediate lifehack thought is to keep a calendar book and write the letter of the day first thing in the morning so when the next day finally comes you can look back at the previous one and know instantly which worldline you're on...)

Hmm, if "random" events happen differently in each timeline, then it strongly points towards quantum nondeterminism affecting the macro scale. In particular, it would appear to refute superdeterminism (as well as hidden variables, but those are already covered by Bell inequality). What I am saying is that Ayaka could make a career in theoretical physics if she can just design an experiment that couples the quantum with the macro world.

Funnily enough, I just saw this the other day:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-universe-is-not-locally-real-and-the-physics-nobel-prize-winners-proved-it/

Also, https://www.sciencealert.com/quantum-entanglement-has-now-been-directly-observed-at-the-macroscopic-scale

last edited at Oct 27, 2022 12:10PM

ColdGoldLazarus
Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

Remembered and reread this, and I really hope we get more of it soon.

So the thing about all this is, I could enjoy the story if I could treat it like something along the lines of science fiction--like, what's happening to her is very weird, but it's kind of just a thing that happens. But there's something fundamentally . . . I don't know how to put this. It's internally consistent, but that internal consistency doesn't point to just some kind of supernatural phenomenon, it points to AGENCY. Like, it seems the story is definitely pointing to the notion that some kind of consciousness is involved.

But . . . OK, so suspending disbelief in some weird time loop thing is one thing. Suspending disbelief that some malign, incredibly powerful intelligence has decided to consistently, labour intensively mess with the life of a random toddler for years on end apparently just because . . . I can't do it. It just SCREAMS at me constantly that the story is entirely shaped around the desired effect. I lose connection to the very suffering I'm supposed to be empathizing with.

I'm not picking up the vibe that like, there is necessarily consciousness involved? Like, that's how she put it, but it came across to me as theorizing. Also, where did it say that it was like, picking the worst days for her specifically? Like, the general situation for her, of experiencing all of these versions of the same day and remembering them all, is definitely really bad on her, but like, the specific version that gets chosen seems to be random. Just that in the case of the cat, the last day was the one that went through, whereas the whole thing with the parents basically abandoning her probably repeated through the same events a few times, since this was like, a multi-day plan they had, not a one-off random decision constrained to a specific day.

last edited at May 22, 2023 7:01AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.