Forum › Lily Love discussion

Screenshot_568
joined Oct 18, 2014

OH MY GOD! I SAW THIS ON MY DEVIANTART AND IT WASNT TRANSLATED I CRIED. YOU DONT EVEN KNOW HOW HAPPY I AM!!!!

joined Nov 30, 2011

"Big Legs. Chubby."

(immediately shows both of those are false)

Self-image issues perhaps?

Pretty much my take on it.

in Thailand women shouldn't smoke. It's not good.

In the whole world everybody shouldn't smoke, actually. It's not good.

It's useful as an anxiolytic in psychiatric hospitals, though.

x2. I see younger kids here in the States smoking like a chimney and I ask them and they say they know but don't care.... O_0

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

women shouldn't smoke in thailand?? why?
i'm guessing this just plain old sexism and gender expected behavior still prominent in most asian country.

joined Feb 19, 2013

"Thailand women shouldn't smoke"
well I have a bad felling with this sentence kinda racist somehow and I'm Thai.
actually you should say "Normally Thai women not smoke" than that sentence.
It not like smoking is banned or people will treat you different or anything.
It just from the point of view that other women didn't do this thing which is considering as a bad thing ,people will have a strong felling (both good and bad) to the one who do it . anyway it the same for men but people will have a softer felling that all.

after read this I just found the raw version and I have a little different felling when I read the raw maybe it about the translation but i understand how difficult it would be. my English is not good either so I cheer you on. Keep going and serve us good work in the future SUSU.

"In Thailand, women should not smoke"

Me: Oh shit, Thailand?

Img_1342
joined Feb 5, 2013

Nice, a new one~ love the art toooo <3

Captura%20de%20tela%202023-05-17%20a%cc%80s%2001.22.32
joined Jan 19, 2015

i love the "yuri horoscope", it's always on point

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Well damn, such a promising beginning

joined Apr 12, 2014

Cute

joined Feb 10, 2015

This is one of the only times I feel glad that I'm a Thai. Gonna go read the Thai versions now!

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

As someone who hates smoking with a corrosive mortal hatred, my reactions to this chapter went like this:

Me: "Ugh, smoking...not sure I can care about this now. The stink of it all over her clothes, on her hands, in her hair...horrendously unhealthy, inconsiderate, waste of money...kissing someone with cigarette-mouth would have to be utterly disgusting..."
TL Note: "Thai women shouldn't smoke."
Me: "They can smoke if they damn well want to!"

...such conflicting feelings.

last edited at Feb 10, 2015 9:03AM

joined Nov 30, 2011

As someone who hates smoking with a corrosive mortal hatred, my reactions to this chapter went like this:

Me: "Ugh, smoking...not sure I can care about this now. The stink of it all over her her clothes, on her hands, in her hair...horrendously unhealthy, inconsiderate, waste of money...kissing someone with cigarette-mouth would have to be utterly disgusting..."
TL Note: "Thai women shouldn't smoke."
Me: "They can smoke if they damn well want to!"

...such conflicting feelings.

And this, people, is why Dynasty's community is so awesome!! ;)

We can smoke if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
'Cause your friends don't smoke and if they don't smoke
Well they're, no friends of mine!!

S-s-s-s-M-m-m-m-O-o-o-o-K-k-k-k-E-e-e-e

First_trip
joined Jan 17, 2015

As someone who despise smoking in public, I kinda want to live in THAILAND now.
And gosh I'm obssesed with horoscope, and she's an Aquarius lol i'm always a little bias when it comes to aquarius lol although I'm not an Aquarius =)) sorry for the rant
Kinda hope the tall girl is Gemini secretly shiping gemini and Aquarius
Look forward to more yuri lol

Ihaveseenthelight
joined May 28, 2013

It would be great if people could share the name of the yuri artists they are aware of from their country.
Seems like all the goodness come from Asia.

Waiting for the day Western artists will get into it.
(I barely like the European/American's way of drawing comics tho......)

They already have, more or less.

I'm from Philippines and we have the first commercially published GL, World Canvas by Godley Malabanan, written in Tagalog.

It has its own PV actually: http://youtu.be/huqxAjVvb9M

Woah, that looks cute as heck. Thanks for sharing!

Oh I'm glad you posted that. Read through Chapter 3 but didn't go back. It's really, really good.

Imagesn79yw9ay
joined Jan 27, 2012

Yuri is taking over the world! Maybe we should get something along the lines of a 'non-Japanese' or 'world yuri' or 'mawha' tag or something?

No comment, just wtf. Don't want to read this now.

Apparently it's the same in Russia, according to a Russian lady with whom i used to work.

Imagesn79yw9ay
joined Jan 27, 2012

God! I didn't expect to found my country manga here!
(Cause many people in Thailand prefer Yaoi more than Yuri, that's why it's hard to find mangas, novels or one-shots that have Yuri even thought there are many lesbians, Tom[A woman that love girls and dress like man/boy], Dy[Prefer both man and woman])
Better dig this manga. (=゚ω゚)ノ

You list lesbians, toms and dees seperately. Do you mean to say that toms and dees are not exactly lesbians, they are another sexual identity in Thailand, separate from lesbians?

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Yuri is taking over the world! Maybe we should get something along the lines of a 'non-Japanese' or 'world yuri' or 'mawha' tag or something?

No comment, just wtf. Don't want to read this now.

Apparently it's the same in Russia, according to a Russian lady with whom i used to work.

As far as I know, the percentage of smokers in Russia is huge - if I remember right, statistics show that about 30% of women and 50% of men smoke.

Last year we had a new law installed that forbids smoking in public places. Personally, as a non-smoker, I'd say about damn time. TBH, I don't mind it when people smoke...tobacco. As in, pipes and good stuff. But cigarettes give off that awful sticky smell that will stay in your clothes forever.

Still, I guess there is some gender discrimination there. While both male and female smoking is viewed negatively, female is more negative.
Still, isn't that true for many "sins" in most countries? While it's gender discrimination, I wouldn't say that it's "anti-female" - it goes against males just as much. Women are generally more shunned for any wrongdoings - but at the same time, men are almost expected to behave badly. "Ah, well he's a guy, of course he'd do this"...

last edited at Feb 11, 2015 12:55PM

106516%20(1)
joined Mar 20, 2014

This looks really gorgeous so as long as the story isn't actually gonna make my eyes bleed, I'm going to keep reading this. When I think about it the translation does seem a bit odd but it's been already said that it could be due to a lot of reasons. At first glance I didn't even notice except for the last sentence which might have sounded more impressive if there wasn't a definite article for some inexplicable reason. I'm not a native speaker and articles give me trouble but it sounds off. Correct me if I'm wrong though. Anyway, I still think we have a reason to be optimistic about this.

Ejej
joined Aug 24, 2014

Still, I guess there is some gender discrimination there. While both male and female smoking is viewed negatively, female is more negative.
Still, isn't that true for many "sins" in most countries? While it's gender discrimination, I wouldn't say that it's "anti-female" - it goes against males just as much. Women are generally more shunned for any wrongdoings - but at the same time, men are almost expected to behave badly. "Ah, well he's a guy, of course he'd do this"...

I wouldn't call it sexist: I have to agree with you there. I won't sugar coat it: when a guy sleeps around, we just say "boys will be boys" and that he's just being the stereotypical dumb guy, while if we see a girl sleeping around, she's a slut. It's bad on both parties -- one is being over generalized as always being dumb, while the other is classified as unpure and tainted. We just expect the guy to make a bad decision, smoking, simply because of unjust stereotypes, while we don't expect girls to because "Girls should treasure themselves".

Yurifaceapproved3%20copy
joined Sep 10, 2014

God! I didn't expect to found my country manga here!
(Cause many people in Thailand prefer Yaoi more than Yuri, that's why it's hard to find mangas, novels or one-shots that have Yuri even thought there are many lesbians, Tom[A woman that love girls and dress like man/boy], Dy[Prefer both man and woman])
Better dig this manga. (=゚ω゚)ノ

You list lesbians, toms and dees seperately. Do you mean to say that toms and dees are not exactly lesbians, they are another sexual identity in Thailand, separate from lesbians?

I think it's like our tomboys, butch, fem, ultra fem....

Yurifaceapproved3%20copy
joined Sep 10, 2014

http://beta.ookbeecomics.com/manga-and-comics/Lily-Love/detail-page/93?lang=th ;D raww

What is ookbeecomics?
Just a platform or more like a web publisher?

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

We can smoke if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
'Cause your friends don't smoke and if they don't smoke
Well they're, no friends of mine

You have no idea what you did. I'm weak to that song and its tune and it's going to play in my head until i fall asleep. :(

Tuna%20copy
joined Nov 7, 2014

Is it just imposible to make an ugly manga character? CAUSE I HAVE NEVER READ THIS LINE AND AGREED WITH IT.

Especially since real life definitely isn't as perfect yuri mangas in terms of looks lol.

(Nez Note Just a quick edit to make the quote a bit less obnoxious. Carry on, citizen.)

last edited at Feb 12, 2015 8:44PM

SpiderLilies2007
joined Jan 22, 2015

the translation was kinder suck when the smoke part appear. (ถ้าอยากให้ช่วยบอกได้เลย XD)
in the original was just......"wtf she smoke?" it doesnt sound off at all. the conversation went smooth in thai-version.
it could be the the english thing.

And about the smoking thing in Thailand.

There is a huge anti-smoking-movement in thailand. You will see a pic of a dead person(by cancer) on the cigarette when you try to buy a cigarette in thailand.

its the culture diffrent thing. people look bad at woman that smoke...in thailand(when you look back 20 years ago is a guy thing. you wont see woman smoke) but these days it change.....but still connected with bad stuff. ...girls who smoke are those who parties a lot ........bla bla bla that kind of thing.

guys are turn off. they would think that she didnt take care of her health.

And i read in page 3-or 4 "woman stop thinking to care about others-so they smoke".

let me explain this. If you travel to Japan or Korea..you will see some people covered their mouth with mask when they are ill right? It means they didnt want to spread their virus to other human. That person care about other person well being.

Its the same thing with smoke. You smoke next to a person.. ...or a baby. The smoke cursed more damage than the actually person who smoke itself. So pls understand this.. its not being sexist .

They are just looking bad at woman/men who smoke LOL they wouldnt tell you directy or stop you(but they would walk away from you if the smoke/smell disturb them).

And about the name thing.

Donut(that sweet dessert with a ring in the middle) is actually female NICK-name that often used in thailand...they always used weird Nickname. I am sure Donut real name is hella long in thai. Thai first name is really long. ..so they used Nickname to call each other ..than their original name. you wouldnt be able to spell it.

Mew said "your name sound delicious " refers to donut ..its supposed to be a joke. ..but foreign people wont get it XD

typical Nickname that are weird to western people "golf" "ball" "donut" "bell" "gung"(shrims-female nickname) "gob"(frog-male nickname) "bla"(fish-male and femal nickname)etc. its short but sound strange and funny for outsider.

but these are often used

oh and by the way....they should add "Pi-"(พี่-formal speech for those who are older than you- when you feel comfortable with- used for both genders- who are older than you) too....its like Senpei in japan or unnie in korean . ..at this case
Donut is younger than Mew. She call her Pi- all the time..when she talk with Mew.

last edited at Feb 12, 2015 9:45PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.