Forum › After School Re-Reincarnation! discussion

Mistress Trupin
joined Jul 24, 2018

The armor transforms into a sword, and a sword that transforms into a staff kind of like a switchaxe?
Ngl, I really like the weapons in this series

Yurinium_replenished
joined Jan 27, 2021

is Melua's suit a Kamen Rider reference?

I don't know how to send images but it looks very much like Brave's Level 1 suit

Sometime's other series (Hero-san and Former General-san) references Kamen Rider quite heavily, so it's no surprise that there's a KR-esque suit in this too and the eyes are drawn similarly, so it seems the general appearance here and in the other series is inspired by KR Ex-Aid.

I don't think Melua's suit specifically references KR Brave, though. It's more a result of them sharing a similar motif, in this case, a knight's armour.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Well, that’s one of the less racist portrayals of goblin I’ve seen. Still not super great tho.

Because . . . REAL goblins are much nicer than their portrayals in fiction? Whu?

Goggled Anon
Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Well, that’s one of the less racist portrayals of goblin I’ve seen. Still not super great tho.

Because . . . REAL goblins are much nicer than their portrayals in fiction? Whu?

I think it's more that a lot of fantasy races, or at least the characterizations applied to them, tend to be modelled after extremeley dated stereotypes of ancient civilizations (voodoo tribes and the like).

Roodypatooti
Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

This looks pretty racist if you ask me…
It’s not the worst I’ve seen but like, it’s pretty bad.

Goggled Anon
Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

This looks pretty racist if you ask me…
It’s not the worst I’ve seen but like, it’s pretty bad.

The goblin designs or the graffiti doodle? It just occured to me that we haven't really clarified whether we're arguing about "the goblin designs are racist" or "this is racist towards goblins". Cos design-wise they just seem to be the typical Japanese yankee type.

last edited at May 26, 2022 6:01PM

Roodypatooti
Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

Most of the goblins seem like parodies of various yankii types, yeah, but the one doing graffiti has Dreadlocks so, that seems specifically targeted at black people to me. combined with manga’s statement that goblins are soulless monsters who must be exterminated, and it’s starts to seem maybe a lil’bit racist?

I understand that the author probably didn’t intend for it to be and the design is probably based more on modern yankii emulating hiphop fashion, but put all together it doesn’t really look good.

last edited at May 26, 2022 7:23PM

Goggled Anon
Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Most of the goblins seem like parodies of various yankii types, yeah, but the one doing graffiti has Dreadlocks so, that seems specifically targeted at black people to me. combined with manga’s statement that goblins are soulless monsters who must be exterminated, and it’s starts to seem maybe a lil’bit racist?

Hmm, feels like a stretch to me. Maybe if all the goblins were rocking distinctly PoC-fashion that'd be dubious, but to me they just seem to be taking rebellious hairstyles from all across the board. Not to mention there's a fair few Asians who have worn dreadlocks, such as that "one thousand troops" guy from Konami decades ago. (Whether they should is another story I won't bother touching here.) And tbh, there's no point in getting overanalytical about bog-standard JRPG staples.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I think it's more that a lot of fantasy races, or at least the characterizations applied to them, tend to be modelled after extremeley dated stereotypes of ancient civilizations (voodoo tribes and the like).

Classic goblin depictions tend to involve early medieval technology (swords, axes and such, light to medium armour, metal helmets) combined with a social structure of territorial tribes smaller and less formal than nation-states. The main groups who fit that description would be Germanic and Celtic . . .

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

(Gamer)

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

What kind of sussy stuff is elf chan watching on her phone

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

oh no they're not the demon lord and the hero, their destiny it's to become gamers.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

What kind of sussy stuff is elf chan watching on her phone

I believe the gag here is she has no idea how to use a phone, hence all the typos.
(I too know the pain of a beginner trying to type Japanese text on a smartphone)

last edited at Jun 24, 2022 5:39PM

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Well, Melua certainly had an interesting reaction to Utaho questioning the nature of their amnesia. I wonder if she remembers more than she lets on. That last few pages certainly seem to hint at some differences in how they were discovered.

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

They like to share a bed, like true gal pals

Time%20to%20go%20home%20and%20shlick
joined Jan 18, 2016

That's a lot of new characters introduced so suddenly but they do all seem interesting and unique but I don't think I'll be able to remember them all, at least not for a while, so I might also just call them classmate person for the time being. The teacher seems pretty fun too...

Among them, we've also got what's pretty obviously an official couple already!

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

Bunny sensei

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Really cool to have a yuri pair already while the main one keeps developing and they're the chill x cool type too! on top of that, the cool one has what it seems to be a stalker too in the classroom hahha so not only we have a side couple but they have their own plot going on too.

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

Who names their lollipop sucking character "amemiya rero" we need to talk

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

Every single character's name is a pun.

Also not only the side couple, but it seems Elf is also dating the woman she was texting on the phone, so 2 couples in the same chapter. Needs Yuri tag asap.

LaPucelleOnGirls
La%20pucelle%2004
joined Apr 12, 2021

Wow, only a yuri manga will take seriously a handholding, i hope

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

LaPucelleOnGirls posted:

Wow, only a yuri manga will take seriously a handholding, i hope

There's handholding and then there's handholding

joined Jan 6, 2017

hmmm, I wonder if the Rero could refer to something... else

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

A little triggered because she said "the sun and a star" but okay.

I like vampire chan

LMAO with the bots

last edited at Aug 23, 2022 9:07PM

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

The last speech bubble on pg. 29 seems off and I can't tell if she's saying she's already solved the mystery or if she will solve it.

To reply you must either login or sign up.