Forum › A Monster Wants to Eat Me discussion

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

Dates are nice, but I really enjoyed the open interaction of monster girls at school, can't wait for more of that.

joined Apr 1, 2013

This is getting interesting now I can't wait for next chapter. I dont know if that omen at the end is another beach woman or something else.. also the fact the fox girl called shiori a Japanese type of mermaid which makes me wonder there are different class monsters maybe some inherit God or pure blood meaning they are much more resilient / stronger than average monsters. But it does feel like these monsters have a parallel world that co exists with the human world sort of like Spirited Away how the girl stumbles into that youkai spirit realm / bath house I think both worlds are connected or intertwined because I don't understand how these monsters exist.. unless each monster is meant to represent an actual demon / deity etc

joined Jan 14, 2020

Dang, translator! Checking up on train schedules. Even as a detail-oriented nerd myself, I'm in awe.

Japanese "mermaid", definitely not a cutie:

https://yokai.fandom.com/wiki/Ningyo

"The flesh of a ningyo is believed to grant eternal life and youth to those who eat it, and thus it is the subject of many folk tales. However, it carries with it a danger that most people are not willing to risk. Ningyo can place a powerful curse on humans who try to wound or capture them, and some legends tell of entire towns that were swallowed by earthquakes or tidal waves after a foolish fisherman brought home a ningyo in one of his catches."

...so what if Hinako eats Shiori? Maybe some blood, to avoid getting too vore-ish.

Gah1
joined May 25, 2015

NEWMONSTERNEWMONSTERNEWMONSTERNEWMONSTERNEWMONSTER!!!!!

joined Feb 22, 2018

Here's another kind of (giant) Japanese mermaid local to the waters near Ehime Prefecture (the setting of this manga): https://yokai.com/akugyo/

Other relevant sea yokai:
https://yokai.com/nureonago/
https://yokai.com/isoonna/
https://yokai.com/nureonna/
https://yokai.com/ushioni/

last edited at Feb 28, 2022 10:22PM

FreedomandJustice
joined Jun 16, 2020

Kinda looks like the nureonna based on that one scene, I don't think most of them will look too bad in this mangaka's art style.

I don’t like Shiori and I’m not sure why. I just feel like she has a few hidden agendas.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I cannot help but admire Hinako's earnest wish for death.

I can. Get a grip, girl. Your parents would want you to live. You've got a friend who would give her tails to help you live. You'll never forget your family, you'll always mourn them, but there's plenty worth living for and your family would want you to find it.

When you’re in the hole like she is, that’s only going to come off as platitudes, unfortunately. Convincing someone in that headspace of a nebulous “something” worth staying miserable for is a hard sell

Indeed. Having been in that hole I concur hearing "there's so much to live for" feels like an insult. It's like saying to a blind person "there's so many wonderful things to see in this world." We cannot see those things when in that state.

Never suggested I'd be able to convince her to change her mind. What I said was I don't ADMIRE her suicidal fixation.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

I don’t like Shiori and I’m not sure why. I just feel like she has a few hidden agendas.

Do you mean, hidden agendas, in addition to eating human flesh?

joined Aug 13, 2021

Not gonna lie chief I don't think she's really hiding them.

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

Never suggested I'd be able to convince her to change her mind. What I said was I don't ADMIRE her suicidal fixation.

Oh sure, I agree that it’s not admirable. I don’t think it’s anything other than just a part of her. Although I suspect it’s going to be depicted as purely part of trauma and something she can move on from.

I do think it would be neat if she never gets eaten because it turns out to be chronic depression and doesn’t get “better”. Stories where a depressed/suicidal person learns to live with those things as a part of them are pretty rare.

We see plenty of stories about depression as an ailment that’s overcome, but not too many about depression as a disability that just needs to be accepted and lived with.

Plus there’s a unique kind of despair that you get when everything’s going great, nothing bad’s happened, nothing triggers it, but you look up and you’re back in the hole. A real treat for the angst connoisseurs out there.

last edited at Mar 1, 2022 9:00AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

She's not talking about the sun.

And yeah, it was pretty clear from the start that there was nothing natural about that rain.

Do you mean, hidden agendas, in addition to eating human flesh?

Lmao yes in addition to mauling,killing and eating humans.

Not gonna lie chief I don't think she's really hiding them.

Lol I’m not referring to anything that she has clearly stated.

Ke_Zukulenzia
joined Jul 23, 2019

Monster girls at school is a trope that always gets me since I read Tokimeki Mononoke Jogakkou like 11 years ago.

Lol%20eiko
joined Mar 29, 2021

Hinako caught a double whammy this chapter. I don't remember is she has mentioned to Shiori the circumstances of her family's death but if so, definitely not the best idea to bring her to the ocean alongside happy families playing on the beach.

NamiBlueFeather
Riinu
joined Jun 10, 2019

I always appreciate the extra info on the locations in the story, with side-by-side pictures too. It’s nice learning the background

tragicheroine
X
joined Mar 20, 2020

I always appreciate the extra info on the locations in the story, with side-by-side pictures too. It’s nice learning the background

Agreed.

tragicheroine
X
joined Mar 20, 2020

Still, Miko and Shiori as a monsters having money and can buy anything is always bugged me. And just because they are God, can manipulate anything yada yada is not convincing enough for me to not say it as a plot hole.

Like, how can they manipulate all of that, but Miko can't manipulate people that ask her for help. She obviously can do that fast if she is a God. lol.

Anyway, always love cherry chokered side tails fox girl Miko in every chapter.
Hope author don't kill her just coz author is the real God in this series.

joined Jul 26, 2016

...people really need to make more of a difference between God and a god - all the more so in the highly shamanistic Japanese context where there's a kami just about under every rock.

joined Jan 14, 2020

"How does the spirit get money and identity papers" is an interesting question...

joined Jan 13, 2021

Teacher: Please state your reasons for applying to the aquarium committee.

Shiori: I find it immensely amusing to watch how people go to these silly little exhibits and gaze and coo and snap pictures of the poor captive creatures puttering about for their entertainment behind the glass, blissfully unaware that even as they securely ogle these pathetic prisoners from the sea, a being from unfathomable depths, as superior to them as they are to these dumb little fish, might be gazing upon them as well, and laughing at how they bob about in their puny land-cages, convinced of their longevity.

Teacher: What.

Shiori: I like it when the. the fishy puckers its lips. so cute.

joined Dec 17, 2021

"I never go to sleep": Shiori just keeps revealing more and more of her good points.

I like the setup for the original story, but think the official version is better because in the first chapter it focuses on Hinako's personality and her desire to die, which I think it's the more important aspect of this story.

I can interpret Hinako's interest in the ghost eating legend as her looking for a way to die, but I can only do that because I've already read the official version.

joined Apr 1, 2013

that extra story had me sooo on edge lmao like when Hinako mentioned ghost human eating and Shiori is like crap how did she know?! then says there is so such thing lol i swear i think she does secretly have human cravings too

Madoromicloseup
joined Mar 6, 2018

"Three questions for three people."
.....They only asked two...

To reply you must either login or sign up.