Forum › A Monster Wants to Eat Me discussion

joined Jan 13, 2021

My favourite types of WataHito chapters are ones that remind you how Hinako is more fucked up than the monsters who want to eat her. Kinda makes you wonder at an alternate interpretation of the title wherein Hinako, in her aberrant, ephemeral approach to life and love, is the 'monster' who wants to 'eat' Shiori by consuming her every thought, by becoming an existence into whom Shiori is utterly subsumed. If Shiori stops seeing Hinako as inferior, as short-lived prey, a mere dinner party's duration in her eternal life, then she gives Hinako power over herself. If she dreads Hinako dying, considering her presence as indispensable, wanting to delay her demise, then she'll be facing the only thing in the universe more mighty than even her titanic self- death, the absolute void, deeper even than the seas she calls home. Hinako, by becoming a creature of death, shall take up the position of the alien, of the other, and Shiori, in wanting to prevent this, shall become human, familiar in her tragedy. And if Hinako does die, and if Shiori cares enough to never forget her, to never get over it, then she'll have been 'eaten' by Hinako, a part of herself ripped off and swallowed into the abyss where Hinako has retreated, where she can never go unless she relinquishes her very nature. Regardless of how likely or unlikely this ending might be, if Shiori lets herself be infected by the fear of it, if she even entertains that possibility, it shall be the beginning of her consumption, the pain of teeth sinking into her immortal flesh. Personally, I can't wait.

Also, Hinako being a MikoShio shipper is beautiful and an opinion I wholeheartedly agree with. The homoeroticism of scales and tails cannot be understated. Congrats to Hinako on her graduation from 'monsterfucker' to 'person who wants the monsters to fuck each other'. Romcom night with Hinako is just an endless lineup of Alien vs Predator, Godzilla vs. Kong, Vampire vs. Werewolf type movies. My girl out here really putting the love into Lovecraft (if only she had more HP too).

joined May 28, 2021

Well. Just read through what we've got so far. I think the most likely reason for her scent is that her family is spiritually important/powerful in some way, and the inheritance passed to her when her parents (specifically, probably her mother) died. After all, "scent" is basically a metaphor here--only spirit beings can "smell" it; what they're "smelling" is spiritual potency of some sort, that can "feed" them in a way random meat cannot.

Or Hinako stinks and nobody around her ever told her about it.

joined Aug 29, 2019

My favourite types of WataHito chapters are ones that remind you how Hinako is more fucked up than the monsters who want to eat her. Kinda makes you wonder at an alternate interpretation of the title wherein Hinako, in her aberrant, ephemeral approach to life and love, is the 'monster' who wants to 'eat' Shiori by consuming her every thought, by becoming an existence into whom Shiori is utterly subsumed. If Shiori stops seeing Hinako as inferior, as short-lived prey, a mere dinner party's duration in her eternal life, then she gives Hinako power over herself. If she dreads Hinako dying, considering her presence as indispensable, wanting to delay her demise, then she'll be facing the only thing in the universe more mighty than even her titanic self- death, the absolute void, deeper even than the seas she calls home. Hinako, by becoming a creature of death, shall take up the position of the alien, of the other, and Shiori, in wanting to prevent this, shall become human, familiar in her tragedy. And if Hinako does die, and if Shiori cares enough to never forget her, to never get over it, then she'll have been 'eaten' by Hinako, a part of herself ripped off and swallowed into the abyss where Hinako has retreated, where she can never go unless she relinquishes her very nature. Regardless of how likely or unlikely this ending might be, if Shiori lets herself be infected by the fear of it, if she even entertains that possibility, it shall be the beginning of her consumption, the pain of teeth sinking into her immortal flesh. Personally, I can't wait.

On the one hand: Can I have some what you've been smoking?
On the other hand: Damn, that is a really cool interpretation and would be a really neat and, IMO, perfectly feasible subversion of the story so far :D

joined Dec 17, 2021

I cannot help but admire Hinako's earnest wish for death. Even if she loves Miko (as much as someone who doesn't have a desire to form meaningful relationships with other people does) now that she can rationalize Miko won't be too sad about her dying, she can die without feeling guilty when the time comes.

joined Aug 29, 2019

I cannot help but admire Hinako's earnest wish for death. Even if she loves Miko (as much as someone who doesn't have a desire to form meaningful relationships with other people does) now that she can rationalize Miko won't be too sad about her dying, she can die without feeling guilty when the time comes.

If you think about it that's throwing quite a wrench into Shiori's plan of making her want to live...

G
joined Jan 12, 2021

Ahhh such a short chapter... T__T still good though. I love the art & their expressions.

I’m just happy that she might actually get paired with Miko chan in the end. I love them as an item.

joined Dec 13, 2020

On the one hand: Can I have some what you've been smoking?
On the other hand: Damn, that is a really cool interpretation and would be a really neat and, IMO, perfectly feasible subversion of the story so far :D

They should turn it into a fanfic... no chance any of that is canonly happening.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I cannot help but admire Hinako's earnest wish for death.

I can. Get a grip, girl. Your parents would want you to live. You've got a friend who would give her tails to help you live. You'll never forget your family, you'll always mourn them, but there's plenty worth living for and your family would want you to find it.

joined Oct 6, 2020

Who's cutting onions damn it

Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

goddamn it,why am i always reading depressing manga when i know it will hurt me ಥ_ಥ

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

I can. Get a grip, girl. Your parents would want you to live. You've got a friend who would give her tails to help you live. You'll never forget your family, you'll always mourn them, but there's plenty worth living for and your family would want you to find it.

When you’re in the hole like she is, that’s only going to come off as platitudes, unfortunately. Convincing someone in that headspace of a nebulous “something” worth staying miserable for is a hard sell

joined Jan 14, 2020

My ship perked up when she compared Miko to the sun itself.

But then, "she found someone as long-lived as herself to keep her company". Reality to Hinako, you seem to have come unmoored...

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

My ship perked up when she compared Miko to the sun itself.

But then, "she found someone as long-lived as herself to keep her company". Reality to Hinako, you seem to have come unmoored...

Turns out Hinako has terminal shipping brain lol

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

When you’re in the hole like she is, that’s only going to come off as platitudes, unfortunately. Convincing someone in that headspace of a nebulous “something” worth staying miserable for is a hard sell

And yet that is exactly what proper psychotherapy does. If only such a thing existed in the magical land of Japan...

Loona%20avatar%20small
joined Oct 28, 2020

Indeed. Having been in that hole I concur hearing "there's so much to live for" feels like an insult. It's like saying to a blind person "there's so many wonderful things to see in this world." We cannot see those things when in that state.

joined Jul 26, 2016

And yet that is exactly what proper psychotherapy does. If only such a thing existed in the magical land of Japan...

From what I know of it mental healthcare there is pretty shite, contra physical. Apparently a common thing in Asia that. No doubt bound up with a whole mess of societal and cultural hang-ups.

Smol%20dankkonata
joined Oct 10, 2018

So her scent has increased in power since the accident huh. Some little part of me wants to theorize she's been dead the whole time or something and she's just some unrotting zombie

joined Aug 29, 2019

Yep, but it takes a lot of time, effort, dedication and usually a good social structure around the patient. And no-so-uncommonly psychotropic drugs.
I don't think Hinako has anyone who'd even be able to put her on that path. Shiori probably isn't versed in (contemporary) human culture enough to know that such a thing exists, and I'm not sure if Miko would actually be willing to do that. Other than that she seems to have no one.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

You're right, of course. But it kinda ruins story of the romance of Hinako with her death wish.

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

She really is a bit dum, dummy

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

I'm detecting some codependency lol. Just because the lights on the front of a train are bright doesn't mean you should maintain a close relationship.

joined Dec 17, 2021

Shori eating a bunch of food seems suspicious. I may be putting too much focus on it but it seems it's her way to sustain herself a little so she doesn't feel as hungry for Hinako, CLEARLY indicating her restrain is being eroded little by little.

And Miko's description of Japanese mermaids made me laugh, I want Hinako touching Shiori's horribly grotesque form.

I'm guessing there are more beach women ocoming? because of the hands you can see under the water. It'll be interesting if it was a different creature.

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

So, she isn't a mermaid?
She rivals a God, so she isn't a small yokai.

A dragon maybe?

joined Feb 22, 2018

Japanese "mermaid", definitely not a cutie:

https://yokai.fandom.com/wiki/Ningyo

last edited at Feb 28, 2022 7:53PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.