Forum › I Favor the Villainess discussion

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

I decided to give this a try, since the novel seems to be quite popular, but... idk

My biggest problem with this is actually the main couple themselves. I had read a review of the LN once, which said that it felt as though the protagonist's entire personality was liking Claire. At the time I thought the writer was exaggerating, yet 16 chapters in, we've barely seen anything more than a "thirsty lesbian" and a "tsundere". It was funny at first but it got old pretty fast.

I also got a bit irritated at how this whole isekai thing was used. Like, let's be real, you don't get good enough at chess to challenge a(n allegedly) very proficient and experienced player by playing the chess mini games in an otome game, of all things —that really made me roll my eyes.

It feels like there's way too much stuff packed into this, without getting enough time to really do anything with it. We got a written exam with a bet and then some fights with a new(?) bet and then chess and then some poker (and some cheating —I still dislike Yuu) and then a cultural festival of sorts and then night cooking...? It feels like everything comes and passes with little impact to the story.
(Also, why are the maids eating with the Claire? That's just weird)

There were some good moments though, like Rei's answer to "gender doesn't matter when it comes to love". That was refreshing, even if done in a rather unsubtle manner.
Or this one here —very telling of Claire's upbringing.
Plus, the art is nice with a good black-white-grey balance.

I'll probably stick around for a bit longer, 'cause I am kind of interested in seeing how the commoners' movement will play out and because, if I remember correctly from the review I was reading, there is a scene where they confront their classmates who looked down on homosexuality? Does that really happen...? I hope it does.

joined Jan 6, 2017

I decided to give this a try, since the novel seems to be quite popular, but... idk

My biggest problem with this is actually the main couple themselves. I had read a review of the LN once, which said that it felt as though the protagonist's entire personality was liking Claire. At the time I thought the writer was exaggerating, yet 16 chapters in, we've barely seen anything more than a "thirsty lesbian" and a "tsundere". It was funny at first but it got old pretty fast.

The review writer was definitely exaggerating. The novels do a bit of a better job at conveying Rei thanks to more internal monologue but we are also still at the start of the story (just started chapter 3). Chapter 4 is where Rei starts developing more, and more importantly is where we get our first look at the real Rei.

I also got a bit irritated at how this whole isekai thing was used. Like, let's be real, you don't get good enough at chess to challenge a(n allegedly) very proficient and experienced player by playing the chess mini games in an otome game, of all things —that really made me roll my eyes.

The AI she played in the minigame and the person she's playing in the isekai world are one and the same.

It feels like there's way too much stuff packed into this, without getting enough time to really do anything with it. We got a written exam with a bet and then some fights with a new(?) bet and then chess and then some poker (and some cheating —I still dislike Yuu) and then a cultural festival of sorts and then night cooking...? It feels like everything comes and passes with little impact to the story.

They have packed things a bit tight here and there compared to the novel, but I certainly don't think it's that bad
We've got: introductions to the setting and main characters. Introductions to the side characters (specifically Chess for Rodd to show he's a good leader, Poker for Yuu to show lying abilities, and harp playing for Sein to show his gift with the arts and insecurities).
Also, the exams were two different things. We had the first exam with liberal arts, etiquette, and magic, this was the first bet. And then we had the Order of Academy exam with a written portion and a practical fighting exam, 2nd bet.
Night time cooking gave us a bit of info on Rei's character which is important moving forwards
The cultural festival also gave us some insight on Claire which will be important moving forwards
Also, the manga has now covered the first two chapters of the novel which were both very basic setup for the characters and setting. Chapter three, which the manga just kicked off with 16, is where the story actually starts

(Also, why are the maids eating with the Claire? That's just weird)

Claire adores Lene so she'd break the rules with her every now and then. As for Rei, she's also a student at the academy and thus more than permitted to eat at the cafeteria.

there is a scene where they confront their classmates who looked down on homosexuality? Does that really happen...? I hope it does.

Don't remember that happening, but in chapter 6 Rei does confront a couple nuns in the spirit church who were being homophobic. Also Rei's backstory has a bit more stuff like that as well, kinda

last edited at Jan 3, 2022 8:57AM

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

The review writer was definitely exaggerating. The novels do a bit of a better job at conveying Rei thanks to more internal monologue but we are also still at the start of the story (just started chapter 3). Chapter 4 is where Rei starts developing more, and more importantly is where we get our first look at the real Rei.

Well, okay, but the first volume only has 3 chapters, right? So I can't imagine that we get that much development, unless the third one is significantly longer compared to the other two. (It was a review of the first volume)

The AI she played in the minigame and the person she's playing in the isekai world are one and the same.

Oh, I suppose that makes sense, I thought that she just played with random opponents, not the characters of the game themselves. Though, even if that were the case, it'd have to mean that Rodd isn't actually all that good at chess at all, otherwise she shouldn't have been able to rival him even in the minigames.

They have packed things a bit tight here and there compared to the novel, but I certainly don't think it's that bad
We've got: introductions to the setting and main characters. Introductions to the side characters (specifically Chess for Rodd to show he's a good leader, Poker for Yuu to show lying abilities, and harp playing for Sein to show his gift with the arts and insecurities).

I guess that's fair. Maybe it's my general tendency to prefer a smaller cast and more focused plot that makes this seem a bit all over the place.

(On a side note, did chess really show anything about Rodd? Other than how unpleasant he is. He hasn't even appeared that much, but I just can't bring myself to like him at all. The only prince I find likable so far is Prince Sein. Just why in the world was he the least popular?! I thought girls liked the beautiful types...)

Also, the exams were two different things.

Right. I did remember that they were separate exams, I just confused which was which (the result of binge-reading with little investment in the story, I suppose XD)

Claire adores Lene so she'd break the rules with her every now and then. As for Rei, she's also a student at the academy and thus more than permitted to eat at the cafeteria.

I was referring to the times when they're at home
...is what I was going to say, but then I realised that the scenes I had in mind probably took place in the school cafeteria and I just didn't understand it at the time. Oops

Actually... is this a boarding school? I just went back to chapter five and saw that Claire was sleeping in a bunk bed...? I never realised, I just thought that Rei lived at school 'cause she didn't have anywhere else to live lol
Just what have I been reading all this time?!

Don't remember that happening, but in chapter 6 Rei does confront a couple nuns in the spirit church who were being homophobic. Also Rei's backstory has a bit more stuff like that as well, kinda

Dammit, I wanted to see that... I guess I didn't remember this right, maybe he had actually referred to a conversation she had with her friends

joined Jan 6, 2017

Oh, I suppose that makes sense, I thought that she just played with random opponents, not the characters of the game themselves. Though, even if that were the case, it'd have to mean that Rodd isn't actually all that good at chess at all, otherwise she shouldn't have been able to rival him even in the minigames.

It's not mentioned in the manga, but in the novel she specifies that her gaming hobby included boardgames such as chess. So I presume she played it beyond just this

I guess that's fair. Maybe it's my general tendency to prefer a smaller cast and more focused plot that makes this seem a bit all over the place.

Definitely agree with you there, but it is what it is.

(On a side note, did chess really show anything about Rodd? Other than how unpleasant he is. He hasn't even appeared that much, but I just can't bring myself to like him at all. The only prince I find likable so far is Prince Sein. Just why in the world was he the least popular?! I thought girls liked the beautiful types...)

It also highlighted that Rei showing her strength (or in this case Rod noticing her hiding it) increased his favourability of her. So we also got to know that he likes people who are strong like he is.
In general though, Rod is the least important character, only really having one plot relevant scene around the end of volume 2.

Actually... is this a boarding school? I just went back to chapter five and saw that Claire was sleeping in a bunk bed...? I never realised, I just thought that Rei lived at school 'cause she didn't have anywhere else to live lol
Just what have I been reading all this time?!

Yes, in fact in the spin-off novel "She's So Cheeky For A Commoner" (Claire POV of the story) we find out she even has a roommate who almost made an appearance in chapter 15 (the wheelchair).

Dammit, I wanted to see that... I guess I didn't remember this right, maybe he had actually referred to a conversation she had with her friends

It could be referring to manga chapter 7? If it was only a review of Volume 1 then that's all I remember.

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

Damn that first colored and shaded page looks very nice. I realize it would make a lot more work for the illustrator, but how nice would it be to see the whole manga in this style.

Takasaki Reika
Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

now,how would they handle this situation,i wonder

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

Oh?? Based prince Yuu????

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

Class War arc begins

Animation%202%20(1)
joined Dec 4, 2020

I haven't seen anyone point this out, so:
I don't remember if the manga already talked about it, but most of the cast member are supposed to be 16. And Rei used to be a salarywoman before coming to this world.
So wouldn't that mean someone who's in her early to mid-20s has a crazy romantic obsession with someone that's only 16?

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I haven't seen anyone point this out, so:
I don't remember if the manga already talked about it, but most of the cast member are supposed to be 16. And Rei used to be a salarywoman before coming to this world.
So wouldn't that mean someone who's in her early to mid-20s has a crazy romantic obsession with someone that's only 16?

I don't think this really needs the spoiler tags, but eh, just in case...

I mean, this is the case with most isekai (and other reincarnation fantasy), better just not to think too hard about this. It gets even worse when you consider those who gained their memories at a much younger age, some even at birth. In any case, they're old enough to know what they're doing both in their world and in most saner parts of ours.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Honestly, I was surprised that some of the nobles even acknowledged that the common class both contributes taxes and that they could be educated. Seems like a pretty tame picture of aristocracy compared to real life; I would've assumed more of them to have Claire's attitude.

Oh, there have been a few nobles who sided with the French Revolution (see: Marquis de Lafayette, Count of Mirabeau), so it's not as unlikely as you think.

Even better example is Louis Philippe II, Duke of Orleans. Cousin of King Louis XVI and the highest ranking aristocrat in France after the members of the royal family, and also one of the wealthiest men in the country at the time of the Revolution.

Spent large sums of money on providing food and shelter for commoners who lost their homes; opened his palace to people of all classes to be admitted in, which the revolutionaries used as a safe haven to discuss political theory and future actions (because the royal police did not have the authority to enter the Duke's palace); was a Jacobin; was in favour of democracy, limiting the powers of the monarchy, and separation of Church and state; was opposed to institutions of feudalism and slavery; represented the Second Estate (the nobility) in the Estates-General but sided with the Third Estate (the commoners) in 1789; was one of the key figures of the early stages of the Revolution; renounced his titles; and in the end as a member of the National Convention even voted for the death of his cousin, the King.

Was arrested after his son (the future King Louis Philippe) betrayed the Revolution and was guillotined soon thereafter, even though there was no evidence he even knew of his son's intentions.

Also, is it just me, or did the tone of this series become somewhat darker with all this social conflict? It has been pretty light-hearted until now, but with the boiling anger presented amongst the commoners and the seriousness with which the issue is treated in the story, I can definitely see this going dark places... then again, this actually reminded me that the title of the game Rei got isekai'd into is literally "Revolution".

Compressjpg20220512_150101
joined Jan 22, 2022

Man things are escalating, and wtf? is that nun who I think she is? what do u mean plotline
sheesh
(I've read up to vol. 3 of the LN)

Tumblr_cee5b652f60d90ff709454b0003785ca_6809dc36_400-min
joined Sep 4, 2021

who is he again...?

Kyouko
joined Dec 30, 2017

who is he again...?

Lambert? Vice captain of the Order of the academy and I think Lene's brother

joined Jan 6, 2017

Man things are escalating, and wtf? is that nun who I think she is? what do u mean plotline
sheesh
(I've read up to vol. 3 of the LN)

Yeah, that nun is L.L. the L

Profile%20picture
joined Jan 23, 2018

This little section of the manga should be great, may have been my favorite part of the LN... except for Claire and Rei just getting married and living a happy domestic life

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

A hypnosis spell? Now we're talking!

More seriously, I wonder if this got an anime they would skip most of the early chapters to get to this plot fast? Probably cloverworks would do it.

LaPucelleOnGirls
La%20pucelle%2004
joined Apr 12, 2021

Knowing who is Lumbert, i just want to say, he should be completely eliminated

joined Jan 6, 2017

This little section of the manga should be great, may have been my favorite part of the LN... except for Claire and Rei just getting married and living a happy domestic life

Really? I found this part to be a bit meh.

My fave is definitely in chapter 5 (novels) when Claire meets Rei's parents but that's ways away

last edited at Jan 27, 2022 10:32AM

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Enough with the French Revolution. I demand more heat patting! Vive la yuri!

Pfp
joined Aug 12, 2017

I love how they put the commoners as the villains here, no interest in reading anymore. Don't know why the author decided to put his dog water politics into this, just disgusting.

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

who is he again...?

Lambert? Vice captain of the Order of the academy and I think Lene's brother

It's a bit surprising how I barely remember his existence (and only as Lene's brother, not as the vice captain), considering how recently I was reading this... lol

It was so hard to take the whole scene with the testimony seriously with that guy looking like that... What even is this?! He's supposed to have been burnt, right? Yet he has a bandage around his head as if he's got a dislocated jaw or something, his eyes are covered with bandages, but his hair is completely unscathed?! It was just so ridiculous I ended up laughing (every time they even mentioned him from then on...)

I kinda want to read the novel to see the continuation of the story faster, but at the same time I don't think I like this enough to invest that much time on it...

last edited at Jan 27, 2022 11:25AM

catsfootironclaw
Imagem_2021-10-09_150323
joined Oct 9, 2021

Never betray your class for pussy.

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

I love how they put the commoners as the villains here, no interest in reading anymore. Don't know why the author decided to put his dog water politics into this, just disgusting.

I don't think you're reading the same manga as everyone else

Yes_pfp
joined Oct 30, 2021

Really? I found this part to be a bit meh.

My fave is definitely in chapter 5 (novels) when Claire meets Rei's parents but that's ways away

I liked that part as well.

To reply you must either login or sign up.