Forum › Liberty discussion

joined Jun 6, 2021

five years from now I'll still get to visit this thread and read Blastaar's exquisitely written messages—explaining with subtle irony why Liberty is so terribly bad and how, after perusing chapter one hundred, they have confirmed once again that this manga is a torturous read and nobody should be subjected to it.

Chapter 100 is not scheduled to appear until 2048.

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

Truly I don't understand people's hate for this series. Liz needs an arc!

The author started her with unprocessed baggage that's festered into a driving bitterness that leads to her hitting rock bottom by her own actions. To me it's more meaningful that she actually did a cruel, unjustified thing because of the scars of her previous relationship.

It seems that some people have designated her a "bad person" who doesn't deserve redemption or happiness out of some sense of punitive justice. I think she's a product of her environment and her own anxiety about being vulnerable. This doesn't justify her behavior, but it means that she's capable of being better.

I want to see her get better by realizing that not everyone she opens up to is going to hurt or abandon her. She can still fuck up and deserve happiness! She has to learn to do better by being hurt and seeing the consequences of her actions hurting others.

Except Liz is trying to go back with Maki only because her first choice ended up being a asshole. This isn't character growth. This is just Liz being a selfish piece of crap. Had she really learned from her mistakes, she would have left Maki move on from all this crap. If she really cared about Maki, she would get the hell away from her.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Truly I don't understand people's hate for this series. Liz needs an arc!

The author started her with unprocessed baggage that's festered into a driving bitterness that leads to her hitting rock bottom by her own actions. To me it's more meaningful that she actually did a cruel, unjustified thing because of the scars of her previous relationship.

It seems that some people have designated her a "bad person" who doesn't deserve redemption or happiness out of some sense of punitive justice. I think she's a product of her environment and her own anxiety about being vulnerable. This doesn't justify her behavior, but it means that she's capable of being better.

I want to see her get better by realizing that not everyone she opens up to is going to hurt or abandon her. She can still fuck up and deserve happiness! She has to learn to do better by being hurt and seeing the consequences of her actions hurting others.

Except Liz is trying to go back with Maki only because her first choice ended up being a asshole. This isn't character growth. This is just Liz being a selfish piece of crap. Had she really learned from her mistakes, she would have left Maki move on from all this crap. If she really cared about Maki, she would get the hell away from her.

I feel like this series is one of those strange cases where the author somehow doesn't realize Liz is a self serving narcissistic asshole, even though it's incredibly obvious. Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels like her personality is going to be glossed over while she for some reason gets a supposed "happy ending" with Maki that she doesn't deserve.

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

If Maki tells Liz to leave her alone or that she wants to move on, then Liz doing so would show growth. Given that she didn't, I think Liz coming to her with an apology and accepting Maki's response is better than just vanishing without any communication.

As to Liz being selfish or not, I think that Liz deserves to be happy. That shouldn't infringe on Maki's own right to happiness, but I don't think Liz shooting her shot for a second chance is morally reprehensible.

Images
joined Apr 9, 2017

Hi, guys does anyone know any similar Manga to Liberty?

joined Jun 6, 2021

I feel like this series is one of those strange cases where the author somehow doesn't realize Liz is a self serving narcissistic asshole, even though it's incredibly obvious. Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels like her personality is going to be glossed over while she for some reason gets a supposed "happy ending" with Maki that she doesn't deserve.

As I wrote earlier:

I think that people who write stuff of this sort are themselves either unfaithful people trying further to normalize infidelity, or victims of infidelity trying to rationalize their continued attachments to their abusers.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

That certainly has been my read, as if we’re supposed to see her primarily as a victim. Personally, I much preferred this story when it was focused on Maki and her feelings as opposed to when Liz has been at the center, and I was quite disappointed when Maki became the doormat in the background.

Liz is a prime example of how a troubled character isn’t necessarily an interesting one.

I think that people who write stuff of this sort are themselves either unfaithful people trying further to normalize infidelity, or victims of infidelity trying to rationalize their continued attachments to their abusers.

I think that’s pretty much unknowable unless you were somehow able to do a full psychological workup on the writers themselves. Which you can’t do.

I suspect it’s more like those many writers attracted to “edgy” themes and characters who believe they’ve written an antihero character when they’ve just created an asshole,

last edited at Nov 27, 2021 10:05PM

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

That certainly has been my read, as if we’re supposed to see her primarily as a victim. Personally, I much preferred this story when it was focused on Maki and her feelings as opposed to when Liz has been at the center, and I was quite disappointed when Maki became the doormat in the background.

Liz is a prime example of how a troubled character isn’t necessarily an interesting one.

I think that’s pretty much unknowable unless you were somehow able to do a full psychological workup on the writers themselves. Which you can’t do.

I suspect it’s more like those many writers attracted to “edgy” themes and characters who believe they’ve written an antihero character when they’ve just created an asshole,

I agree. Liz feels like a forced center character that the author is trying too hard with, and wants her to be a primary victim who deserves the world. Which from my experiences of dealing with narcissistic people, they think they're the ultimate victim and they deserve the world dished out to them on a silver platter. While often overlooking that life is hard for everyone, and other parties involved with their life are also struggling in major ways.

If Maki tells Liz to leave her alone or that she wants to move on, then Liz doing so would show growth. Given that she didn't, I think Liz coming to her with an apology and accepting Maki's response is better than just vanishing without any communication.

As to Liz being selfish or not, I think that Liz deserves to be happy. That shouldn't infringe on Maki's own right to happiness, but I don't think Liz shooting her shot for a second chance is morally reprehensible.

I should say I don't think Liz deserves to be unhappy, but rather I just think Liz doesn't deserve the "happy ending" that I think the author is trying to force with her and Maki. Liz needs some help and to work on herself. I think after some personal growth Liz should start a relationship with someone new and find happiness. I believe Liz shouldn't rope Maki into her world, especially not in Liz's current state, and Maki deserves someone that treats her better than Liz does.

last edited at Nov 27, 2021 11:07PM

joined Jun 6, 2021

All knowledge at this level is a matter of whatever body of observations one has. For example, two of the various relevant questions are of how many confirming cases one encounters and of whether a counter-example is observed if at all.

It's extremely plausible that the author doesn't recognize that Liz's behavior is literally inexcusable, but the question is of how the author could fail to see as much. Issues of romance and of sexuality are the most psychologically pressing in our relationships with others (for obvious evolutionary reasons). One doesn't not see Liz for what she is without either being like Liz or being a person of the sort who are victimized by such people.

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

Of course it's morally reprehensible since she was the one who cheated on Maki to begin with, but now that her first choice is not an option, she wants to go back with Maki.... yeah, no, she should feel ashamed for even thinking about it after all she did.

It would be different if she left Sumire out of some self-realization that she did wrong and so on. But that's not what happened. She only tried going back with Maki when Sumire wasn't an option anymore.

last edited at Nov 27, 2021 11:49PM

Gah1
joined May 25, 2015

insert clown emote here
Really don't feel that bad for ya, Liz kekek

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021
  1. Liz was in shock that Sumire has a kid. Then she told Liz she was a single mother, then she told Liz she has married to the man. Then she told Liz that there really has no feeling between she and the husband. But what made Liza got angry was that Sumire said to her that as if two women can have babies, and lesbian relationship never last. This also implies that Liz should be her mistress.
  2. Essentially Sumire denies Liz' sexuality and orientation.
  3. Sumire knows that she is Liz' first love. That usually means the love cannot die easily. Sumire knows this, thus using this to manipulate Liz. Maki is no match. First Loves a lot of times are romantized and special, and also someone has a rebound. I am sure a lot of you know how it feels, including me. But what Sumire did finally kill whatever feeling Liz still has for her. Unlike most of you, I think it will take some times, for Maki to understand what is truly going on, and will eventually let Liz back to her life, maybe we will find out in 2041?
  4. Maki must have known something, so she tried to slap Sumire. Liz is the one who cheats on her. A person usually will slap the cheating partner, not the "rival". Maki knows full well that slapping Sumire can potentially have her get fired from her company.
  5. Maki has records of being dumped by others, not the other way around.

There are many more points, if you like NTR, go for it.

I must be in the vast minority, because this is one of my favorites. The drama is more like a Shoujo, not a Yuri. As someone who are used to read a lot of Shoujo (not just titles, but serials that has at least 20 tankoubon), this is a normal plot.
I own an entire set of Galette.
Finally Galette is a small Yuri doujin anthology. It is very rare to find the physical copies (I was lucky). Also, they only publish once every 4 months. So it is more like a labor of love for these mangaka. It is the only ongoing Yuri anthology that is not named Yurihime. That is why they ask you to donate to them, the more you donate, the more benefits you can get; Any donors cna get a physical copy, the top VIP gets not just a physical copy, but has the right to ask all the contributing mangakas to sign it for you. (too bad Takemiya Jin no longer submits her stuff there...) Covid does not help them...

last edited at Nov 28, 2021 1:26PM

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

Whoa, it's a good thing Liz has her plan B just waiting around for her.

joined Dec 21, 2016

And... the gender of the spouse? Was it mentioned?

On her blog, she simply said it was an Italian exchange student. On yahoo news it says it's a man, but that's just an assumption. We should wait for pictures (very low chance of that) or a confirmation written by Kitta Izumi to be sure.

Dusnkzfu8aeqg-g
joined Dec 19, 2018

I really hope Maki finds someone else. She deserves better

joined Aug 13, 2021

This manga keeps getting funnier and funnier as chapters go on its starting to seem like a tl parody and the fact it isnt makes it even more comedic.

joined Oct 2, 2021

funny how new chapter dropped a few hours after Izumi Kitta announced her marriage lol

Yeah lol I didn't even know it was her birthday. Imagine my face when I found she also got married with an Italian.

Does it matter?

joined Jun 6, 2021

Does it matter?

At the least, it would effect a generalized-Bayesian updating of probabilities associated with propositions relevant to understanding why she writes as she does.

Jpegnagasawa
joined Feb 19, 2014

I personally think Liz really needed that slap in the face before she can move on with life, whethere it's with Maki or not. Because until she got this disillusionment from her first love, she will forever hold Sumire in a pedestal no matter where she is in her life. Now that hopefully that's shattered, she can focus on whatever life she wants to live.
As for Maki, well, she's been allowing Liz to railroad her this entire time.. so..

joined Dec 21, 2016

funny how new chapter dropped a few hours after Izumi Kitta announced her marriage lol

Yeah lol I didn't even know it was her birthday. Imagine my face when I found she also got married with an Italian.

Does it matter?

Many people, including me, assumed she was in closet given she's writing a manga about a lesbian singer (whose name suspiciously resemble hers) who had to hide her sexuality for marketing reasons until paparazzi caught her kissing another girl. Personally I don't really care about her sexuality, I just assumed she's a closeted lesbian but I guess I was wrong.

Gyerin200
joined Sep 6, 2011

Hi, guys does anyone know any similar Manga to Liberty?

Octave

https://dynasty-scans.com/series/octave

Far better executed than this but it will also make your blood boil with rage.

Also Kimi Koi Limit from the same author.

https://dynasty-scans.com/series/kimi_koi_limit

Far better in every single way and shorter so the angst can't make a dent in your heart.

last edited at Nov 28, 2021 9:49AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Orestes posted:

Far better executed than this but it will also make your blood boil with rage.

Well it didn't mine. I guess it all, giggle, boils down to your opinion on certain plot point and I happen to think it was well executed and justified.

Agreed here—a divisive plot point that I too happen to think is fine.

Also Kimi Koi Limit from the same author.

Same Artist. Momo is doing only art here, there they do art and story and while it's not everyone cup of tea, they're definitely a way more competent writer. Also I heard good argument that maybe the reason Liberty was allowed to continue during covid was more, because Momo is doing art.

I wondered about that too. I also wondered if Momono Moto might not have written, or at least have had significant input into, the first few chapters (aka “the good part”). We at least know that sensei is adept at bringing the drama and the angst in a way that’s not preposterous.

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

Kitta Izumi 橘田いずみ official blog. Married an Italian while in London studying. Same Day as her birthday.
https://lineblog.me/kitta_izumi/
I am friends with Hitoshi for over 28 years, so I get the news probably slightly faster than the "public".

last edited at Nov 28, 2021 2:04PM

joined Jun 12, 2015

Kitta Izumi 橘田いずみ official blog. Married an Italian while in London studying. Same Day as her birthday.
https://lineblog.me/kitta_izumi/

Ha! So when will she announce it was a shotgun wedding :D

last edited at Nov 28, 2021 1:15PM

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

When I think of the author this is what I imagine how she must be like

To reply you must either login or sign up.