Forum › To Die In June discussion

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

Welp. This isn't going to end well.

Time to prep the Spec Ops. quotes again.

None of this would have happened if you'd just stopped. But on you marched, and for what?

joined Sep 6, 2018

A set up for the coup de grace... ready the box of tissues!

PTSD portrayal pretty good. It’s funny to see the loopy veteran girl still knows her stuff out on the sea despite her appearance of insanity. It’s almost like there are two sides to the girl: one side is cheerful and charming (so that she wouldn’t scare citizens away), the other side is chillingly realistic and in depression from her experiences.

Pretty freaky to see artist portray school girls playing with grenades given by garrisoned troops as a suicidal, scorched earth tactic. Damned depressing such things happened in WWII with Japanese forces out on the islands.

last edited at Jan 3, 2019 9:29PM

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Who are they fighting, the russians, the americans, or is it a totally fictitious war all together?

joined Sep 6, 2018

Who are they fighting, the russians, the americans, or is it a totally fictitious war all together?

No exact dates were given. Although the combat doctrine offered in this latest chapter is between WWI and WWII, the manga didn’t specifically state which side the MC is on; however, the issuance of grenades to the populace of the island(s) did occur with Japanese forces in tail-end of WWII fighting American navy and marines.

AFAIK, the manga is depicting a fictitious war in that setting of pre-computer assisted warfare, but story elements did come from history. I think it’s best for the manga to remain vague about which side she’s on and when.

Eetw4a5ueaiu2_t
joined Jun 1, 2017

oh no

This
joined Jan 17, 2017

War never changes

last edited at Mar 5, 2019 11:56PM

Pout2
joined Mar 7, 2017

i think its pretty clear she is Japanese and the enemies are the Americans, at least thats what i've gotten given what the story presents vs what i know of history.

joined Sep 6, 2018

So what just happened? She jumped ship to evacuate residents of the island or was she massacring them too? The ship was sunk too, right?

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

So what just happened? She jumped ship to evacuate residents of the island or was she massacring them too? The ship was sunk too, right?

Yeah she jumped the ship to evacuate them, but to protect them she had to kill one of the other girls (their enemy since they're all girls in the war) but I guess the island girls got traumatized because they saw her killing another girl, one similar to them. I thought the ship sunk at first but the page after that makes it seem like it didn't sink, but I don't know

EDIT: After reading it again I guess there was a rescue ship to help them, so the ship did sink but they're still alive

last edited at Mar 6, 2019 10:28AM

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

So did Minami die or was just left on the island?

last edited at Mar 6, 2019 12:05PM

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

Well that was confusing

732535__safe_anthro_vinyl%20scratch_octavia_dj%20pon-dash-3_octavia%20melody_artist-colon-theyoungreaper1
joined Mar 14, 2016

I'm assuming that's her spirit still on the island, she never took her bugle with her. Though I'm not sure who is saying they got left behind. Not gonna lie, not saying the art style is bad, but it's really hard to differentiate characters when everyone is in uniform and it's all done in sketch style. Was it the spirit of one of the girls she killed telling her she was left behind?

edit: Oh, I see. O-ne is one of the crew members on the ship. The captain is telling her Minami is gone, then Minami's spirit plays her bugle on the island. Unless her supernatural bird powers actually did fish her out of the water and scavenged her bugle from the wreck, but that would pretty much undermine the point of the story.

Welp. I did say to prep the Spec Ops quotes, didn't I?

The island should have died long ago. We were ordered to abandon these people. Instead, we chose damnation

last edited at Mar 6, 2019 9:19PM

A%20%20gallery_compress77
joined Jan 11, 2019

W2f

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

Can it be more depressing

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

So did Minami die or was just left on the island?

I think she died after she was left on the island, which is why O-nae said "She was raised by nature, so I'm sure she's returned to it by now."

Smol%20dankkonata
joined Oct 10, 2018

This looks like it should be good but it's too tough to follow. Either way I'm still left strangely depressed after I finish reading, whether I understand what happened or not. At least they nail that.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Very poetic. A really impressively beautiful translation.

Abbysmug
joined May 15, 2020

Tragic but beautiful. Personally I didn't have any trouble following the story, which just made it that much more painful.

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

And I coudn't follow most of it, which just made it that much more painful in more ways than one

To reply you must either login or sign up.