Forum › Useless Princesses discussion

Kaseyamada
joined Jun 28, 2019

Izumi has a current relationship with Kurokawa and Nanaki, so I understand her sticking her nose into things (however tactless); but the Miki appearance seems kind of random.

Miki witnessed the confession scene the other day. Then Fujishiro stopped going to school and stopped answering phone calls and Miki added two plus two and very reasonably got four: she realized Kurokawa's to blame cause she has somehow hurt Fujishiro. That made her angry cause she secretly has the gays for Fujishiro, and now she has come to (presumably) vent her anger on Kurokawa.

My_ankle_fell_off
joined Jan 8, 2020

She needa calm tf down, like girl it’s not that deep for u to be screaming like a maniac. I don’t even understand what she’s going on about cuz at this point it all just sounds dumb, so y’all ain’t on equal levels? Who gives a fuck

My_ankle_fell_off
joined Jan 8, 2020

She needa calm tf down, like girl it’s not that deep for u to be screaming like a maniac. I don’t even understand what she’s going on about cuz at this point it all just sounds dumb, so y’all ain’t on equal levels? Who gives a fuck

georgeoswalddannyson
joined Aug 21, 2019

yeesh. i enjoyed this in the beginning but it's just too much melodrama rn.

Rsz_file_000
joined May 20, 2019

I see a lot of people saying Kurokawa is acting like a normal teen or they understand how she feels

No, this is not normal it is not understandable

This is batshit insane, this is the exact same mentality that leads crazy fans to murder idols for not being "Pure" its fucking toxic, like not your usual Twitter BS actual toxic behaviour.

Her mentality is absolutely not normal and I agree that were this not a Shoujo manga setting where everything can be resolved by the power of love she would need serious professional help.

When I say how she’s acting is normal for someone her age I mean the whole getting getting overly emotional and screaming thing. It’s not over-the-top, it’s just how teenagers are. They’re prone to extreme, otherwise immature behavior because they’re still learning how to express themselves socially.

last edited at May 20, 2021 12:29AM

Steam-community-screenshot-dream-team-demon,-witch-
joined Nov 15, 2016

Actually getting posses reading this shit

joined Mar 15, 2021

This will sound quite random, but in the event that this manga were to ever be animated in some twist of fate, this interaction would either be really well done or really poorly, and that all depends on the art style that is used.
Kanade is the main villain against herself. Nanaki, on the other hand, I believe matched really well with the Izumi.
Oh well, I hope they can do something logical next chapter. they're supposed to be useless princesses not irrational princesses

Shinobu%20cain%202
joined Aug 19, 2015

This has been a long time coming so I'm not surprised at all. I'm not enjoying the flow though. It's the screaming faces I think. The exaggerated look feels so off even though the emotion itself is passable.

Obviously Kurokawa is mentally ill and that's why it seems so insane to a lot of us. But I don't think we should deny that it's possible to think this way irl. Certainly, I can see this happening to people suffering from PTSD. What's grating is just how it's presented in the chapters.

Like I don't exactly know how and I know it's always been leading up to this but I feel like there was something lacking in the lead up. But I guess ultimately, it's the weird scream faces that's ruining it for me.

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

We all knew she was gonna bust out the good ol' "Hot Topic ANGST Blast"

Stretch%20full
joined Jun 13, 2012

Le me at Chapter 34: "Miki's hot!".

67796623_2919817304757747_5022259989704605696_n
joined Jun 2, 2019

She def need to go to hospital

Hana
joined Jun 20, 2014

this is the most overly dramatic yuri manga of reactions...i ever read.
Miki aint taking this shit anymore, she going to set things straight with Kurokawa and giving her a piece of her mind for breaking poor Nanaki's mind.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Le me at Chapter 34: "Miki's hot!".

It's the furious scowl that does it UwU

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Yikes...this was such a stomach turning chapter. Also so many people are involved in this right now, so double yikes.
Kurokawa's inferiority complex doesn't make much sense tbh...I get it so some degree, but even after what happened she keeps repeating it over and over and just makes her look like the villain. I feel sorry for Fujishiro, as if Kurokawa doesn't deserve her after all.

Obviously Kurokawa is mentally ill and that's why it seems so insane to a lot of us. But I don't think we should deny that it's possible to think this way irl. Certainly, I can see this happening to people suffering from PTSD. What's grating is just how it's presented in the chapters.

Like I don't exactly know how and I know it's always been leading up to this but I feel like there was something lacking in the lead up. But I guess ultimately, it's the weird scream faces that's ruining it for me.

Exactly. I think it's not just a complex or lack of self confidence at this point, but mental illness. The author should have developed her character more around that if they wanted to make such a dramatic character arc. That part of Kurokawa only appeared very sparsely throughout the story and it just feels like it's only used when it's convenient for the author rather than a natural built up

last edited at May 20, 2021 1:20PM

Azuma Hazuki
Fbphoto
joined Feb 26, 2018

This is c-PTSD, and I know because I suffer from the exact same thing. Kurokawa's damage prevents her from even seeing herself as human. c-PTSD, among other things, destroys your ability to connect to other people, to trust that your very existence is even real let alone good or correct or "allowed." She needs a specialized therapist, and a lot of reading about how the limbic system works vis-a-vis the cortex and the brain stem...

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

My issue with this is the "justification" of her emotional trauma. A prettier girl took her role of princess back in kindergarten so she developed this extreme aversion to feeling like she deserves good things?

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

ch34, pg 1, "always ready to tell me the what that I want to hear..."

last edited at May 20, 2021 2:28PM

TheAlmightyUltimus
Hyper%20kabuto
joined Oct 30, 2018

As someone who also has a fairly big inferiority complex... gods I relate to Kurokawa a lot here. I'm sorry, but something as deep seated as that, something that's been with you since childhood, isn't something you're gonna be able to get over by just being friends(?) with a pretty girl for a few weeks(months? Forget how long it's been in manga), but something you honestly need proper professional help with. Remember why she didn't want them calling each other by their first names? Cause they're not equal. At least to Kurokawa they aren't.

Let me put this in perspective: you don't like yourself. People have put you down throughout your entire life to the point you're doing it yourself. Then you meet a person who you consider radiant. You put them on a pedestal, admiring them from afar. For you that's enough, that's all you think you're worthy of. You might become friends with them, talk to them, but they're still on that pedestal, still standing above you. But you understand that, you're okay with that. Then, all of a sudden (to you anyway) the person tries to pull you up, confessing that they love you. You can't comprehend it, you WON'T. To be able to love another you have to be on equal footing, to be able to look them in the eye. This person confessing to you implies that you're equal, but you know better. You're not equal, and you never will be. So you push them away, because you believe they're better than you, too good for you.

Sound familiar? I've a feeling this is the sorta thing Kurokawa is going through. And the kicker? Nanaki herself (though she regrets it now) helped enforce that mindset, Miki as well. So when Izumi tells an obviously stricken/depressed Kurokawa to consider NANAKI'S feelings before her own? And adding to the fact that to Kurokawa Izumi is above her, on equal footing with Nanaki? It's no wonder she snapped.

As painful as it's gonna be to see Miki chew out Kurokawa... I think she's gonna need it to be able to stand up and talk to Nanaki about things.

tl;dr I really feel and understand what Kurokawa's going through and really hope she can learn to love herself so she can love Nanaki and get some professional help cause god damn she needs and deserves it

LionTrainer1
50d13a199dce85e34f5bbb7ccb4f798c
joined Jan 4, 2021

I love how people in the beginning felt bad for Kurokawa and thought she deserved better and now people are feeling bad for Nanaki (honestly, who wouldn't? Poor girl not only got rejected but also got told that they never should've became friends) and annoyed at Kurokawa.

Also, it's sad to see Nanaki depressed. The girl was so confident and bitchy and now she just wants to give up and disappear :(

last edited at May 20, 2021 6:49PM

joined Dec 13, 2020

The best thing about school life manga: how the mcs will solve all their problems by themselves, no needing the help or intervention of any stupid smelly grown-up old fart.

The funniest thing about manga forums in Western countries: how everyone and their uncle will scream hysterically for a grown-up, any grown-up, teacher, copper, therapist, whatever, to come and solve the problems of these kids with a masterful display of adult authority!

It's the influence of American teen movies and American sitcoms. The Hays code is no more, but there are plenty of unwritten codes that the producers enforce savagely. "Grown-ups rule" is one of them.

Shinobu%20cain%202
joined Aug 19, 2015

My issue with this is the "justification" of her emotional trauma. A prettier girl took her role of princess back in kindergarten so she developed this extreme aversion to feeling like she deserves good things?

It is actually possible if it's reinforced. Kids are extremely impressionable and if they don't have the right support system to get them through, they might internalize the simplest things poorly. Trauma in childhood is nothing to scoff at and it's tragic really. But the problem is we never got to see it reinforced so yeah poor writing on that part. Like if the author spliced it bit by bit, this outburst would make more sense. Like I completely understand why Kurokawa is like this, I just don't think they fleshed it out right.

I know there's prolly limits though considering chapter length and what was expected from the serial maybe? I dunno but I'm still enjoying reading because I'm just augmenting it in my mind so I don't get bothered by the flow. I mean you kinda get a sense of the writing anyway in the first chapters so I'm not exactly surprised.

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

Yeah alright, I’m not even gonna lie, I didn’t expect this at all, Kurokawa’s inferiority complex is way more severe than I expected. I’m super curious on what Miki’s going to say in the next chapter, I hope it’ll be some genuine advice (even if its harsh) rather than just her shitting on her, since she’s seems to be interested in Fujishiro judging from everything we’ve seen so far

Le me at Chapter 34: "Miki's hot!"

Yes, Miki is hot in this chapter.

last edited at May 20, 2021 11:28PM

joined Mar 29, 2019

I read people complaining and I honestly don't know why they're complaining. People up in here with some semi-charmed kind of lives talking about how Kurokawa is unrelatable right now. I'm super jealous, no really.

No. LI-TER-ALL-Y. I'm jealous of you guys, must be nice being the one on the pedestal, looking down on all the commoners from your royal throne. Would you like some tea, mademoiselle? Want to use my hand as your tissue? Go ahead, us commoners can just clean it up later. ;)

Nah but really, some of us have had cursed lives. Kurokawa is completely relatable for me right now. I know it's kind of coming out of nowhere but you knew where this was leading. She's been bullied for having 'intellectual interests' this entire time. Even in childhood she was demeaned as worthless for being a nerdy glasses girl, or ugly--the author threw that in specifically and it's what started out this story. Did y'all forget?

You're surprised because the author saved it as a 'whammy' until this part specifically. This is honestly what the story was written for, you could say this is why this manga was produced, because of this idea; it's the crux of the story. A popular girl falls for a nerd who she berates earlier, and is clapped back with the emotional trauma of what deeds she, and others like her, have committed. These chapters are about mental subjugation and what societally excused social torture does to people. They are very important subjects and were always meant to be here.

I can imagined you're shocked by it, and that's the point. That's why we're here, you're the audience the author was considering. And in Japan it's awful, people have gone to considerable lengths to point out that bullying is a massive problem there.

But it's also a fairytale. Except it's inverted, rather than Cinderella falling for her prince, Cinderella is mortified by the prince's pursuit of her. Honestly this is the more realistic version of events. Cinderella was bullied by her three step-sisters and step-mother all her life. This is kind of like a postmodernist excision of a blunder-y fairy tale where life is lived happily ever after. All the dreams of childhood are replaced by the blunt psychological reality: this character was mentally damaged and you'll have to go to great lengths to repair her. In a way this is the final bridge Nanaki has to traverse. She has to pay the toll of her sins and the sins others have committed against this girl. Love is such a heavy item that it should be paid totally. That's the way it should always go: it's about feeling secure with the person you're with, being willing to loose one's cobwebs and come completely to their side without a thought of guilt in the world.

Nanaki may be shocked right now but either her or somebody will have to right the wrongs. That's the way I see it. And she's done so much to right those wrongs, however we're at the final point where the wrongs were so heavy they've left permanent damage. Somebody will have to do surgery at this point. The sins have been so internalized on Kurokawa's side that it's going to be difficult. Believe!

And I don't care who shows Kurokawa the logic of letting go, but hopefully someone else can at least jumpstart the healing/grieving process to let this girl get back to what she lost when she kept getting put into the 'useless/ugly' column.

last edited at May 21, 2021 5:21PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

In the end of day, what the point of complaining or criticizing something if there will be always someone who said it's realistic in some ways or they experience the same thing ? People are bitter here because it's justfucking drama piling up again and again and again, it's just have been that non-stop since the beginning and it show no stop and it's just annoying.
Also

No. LI-TER-ALL-Y. I'm jealous of you guys, must be nice being the one on the pedestal, looking down on all the commoners from your royal throne. Would you like some tea, mademoiselle? Want to use my hand as your tissue? Go ahead, us commoners can just clean it up later. ;)

Being sassy because others peoples don't experience what you have experienced doesn't really help the conversation. Worse, it make you look like condescendinglike you're better than the others because you've experience You know, it's not because didn't experience one side that they experience the others.I sugger you calm down your horses before attacking peopleswho are not agree with you.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

I do think this is pushing on the melodramatic side (too shouty) but it otherwise still feels plausible. Any issues I have with pacing are more about chapter length than the directness of the narrative; it doesn't feel like it's stuck in a rut.

last edited at May 21, 2021 7:36PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.