Forum › Useless Ponko discussion

joined Nov 21, 2018

There doesn't seem to be any rule saying that robots without owners cannot remain free, nor does there seem to be anyone tasked with rounding them up, so that's a nice point of divergence from other stories like this.

C6ecb18a42241236b33d8a43252bfaf1
joined Apr 30, 2020

I am just glad ex-soldier robot didn't die. Wholesomeness maintained. That said, that line of his "I.. have seen enough" definitely carries weight. At least he is happy where he is now and hopefully he meets the useless Ponko.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

There doesn't seem to be any rule saying that robots without owners cannot remain free, nor does there seem to be anyone tasked with rounding them up, so that's a nice point of divergence from other stories like this.

interesting thought.

we know that ponko was owned by a house keeping company of some kind, and they would rent her out to various places. she was a nurse for a while, and probably had many other jobs, but it has never really seemed like her intended purpose -- which is why she's seen as useless and clumsy. was she repurposed to be a house keeping robot after the war? we also know that ponko is set to be destroyed after this current job ends.

my theory is that there is some sort of government agency that is responsible for collecting and destroying humanoid robots, but rather than actively looking for them, they probably provide incentives to companies/people who own them to turn them in, or replace them. so eventually they will all be rounded up, or break down from lack of parts. we also know that humanoid robots are no longer produced, so i imagine there is some regulations in place preventing new parts/models from being made.

if the government is aware that humanoid robots can become sentient and/or disobey direct orders, it's surprising that they aren't more aggressively trying to destroy all of them. there has been a bunch of passing mentions of humanoid robots no longer being made because of all the problems that came along with them, so even the general population is aware that they have been deemed problematic or dangerous.

we still have so much to learn...

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

I wonder how many deaths Ponko has on her conscience...

Duke
joined Jul 29, 2017

He has seen things you wouldn't believe.
Mostly corn.

Integra%2010
joined Dec 4, 2019

When he gave her one of his eyes...this manga making me cry again.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

[52] this chapter was tough for me to edit, but it has some cute moments. especially when ponko gets all uguu from being thanked. also really cute how Gen tells her not to be stupid and share his umbrella. ponko does her best to be helpful, even tho she really is bad at it.

Cornonthekopp
D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

That joke was definitely pretty tasteless... Also I really wish they’d just stop it with Fuji jr as a character he’s kinda the worst

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

That joke was definitely pretty tasteless... Also I really wish they’d just stop it with Fuji jr as a character he’s kinda the worst

agreed.

t6e1mediumtank
joined Feb 9, 2021

That's supposed to be disturbing? Talk about being overly sensitive, geez. For a second I thought it was going to be something pretty bad since that was the first I've seen a warning like that on here

last edited at Apr 9, 2021 10:24PM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

t6e1mediumtank posted:

That's supposed to be disturbing? Talk about being overly sensitive, geez. For a second I thought it was going to be something pretty bad since that was the first I've seen a warning like that on here

Given that a harmless note drew your attention enough to comment, it seems you're the one being "overly sensitive" here. If you'd like to continue posting, I'd suggest figuring out how to engage without denigrating others. Thanks.

last edited at Apr 9, 2021 11:08PM

370f6e22d5477fb96887976c3c5039f4410b136d
joined Oct 19, 2020

Damn that gave me a start, 10/10 joke
Ponko is the cutest

C6ecb18a42241236b33d8a43252bfaf1
joined Apr 30, 2020

After seeing Ponko being uh useful for a bit, this chapter reminds us that the title needs to be accurate: TWO useless moments on the same day. I like the faces she made tho XD

Ewe
joined Jan 22, 2017

Huh, I expected worse. Like seeing Fuji jr. and his lolicon delusions...oh wait.

But eh, it's ok to make a note if people are spooked by such things.

t6e1mediumtank
joined Feb 9, 2021

t6e1mediumtank posted:

Given that a harmless note drew your attention enough to comment, it seems you're the one being "overly sensitive" here. If you'd like to continue posting, I'd suggest figuring out how to engage without denigrating others. Thanks.

Sure, think whatever floats your boat I guess

last edited at Apr 10, 2021 1:40AM

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Big agree. I'm surprised learning he's a creep didn't even kill Akane's crush on him. And the joke was definitely awful.

t6e1mediumtank posted:

Sure, think whatever floats your boat I guess

I hope you're aware that that's a staff member you're talking to with that tone.

last edited at Apr 10, 2021 3:05AM

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

That would've made for a nice moment in Otherside Picnic, here maybe not so much.

Munch
joined Mar 23, 2021

Really didn't think the joke was that bad, especially when Ponko doesn't even breath. We've seen her be decapitated multiple times

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

Really didn't think the joke was that bad, especially when Ponko doesn't even breath. We've seen her be decapitated multiple times

some people have a hard time seeing imagery like that, especially if they have seen it irl. regardless of the quality of the joke, I just wanted to make sure it did not trigger anyone's trauma.

joined Apr 10, 2021

some people have a hard time seeing imagery like that, especially if they have seen it irl. regardless of the quality of the joke, I just wanted to make sure it did not trigger anyone's trauma.

It's a bit of an odd thing, I think the warnings are the right idea due to some people having history with the subject, but since basically nothing else gets a warning I end up being spoiled by the warning. The only solution I can think of would be an opt out warning (though obviously that would have issues with being carried over to aggregators).

last edited at Apr 10, 2021 2:48PM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

deriliosn posted:

It's a bit of an odd thing, I think the warnings are the right idea due to some people having history with the subject, but since basically nothing else gets a warning I end up being spoiled by the warning. The only solution I can think of would be an opt out warning (though obviously that would have issues with being carried over to aggregators).

It's a worthy trade-off, and in the future I'd expect more warnings for other things, though it's not a fleshed out idea yet. By "opt out warning" I assume you mean something like a button in your profile to never see them?

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

Insensitive as I am, my only problem with the joke was wondering how her head stayed on this time.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

my personal suggestion would be a separate system of content warning tags similar to ao3. then you could turn them off to avoid being spoiled, or blacklist them if you want to avoid certain content. think like red tags listed after the main ones which could be toggled on and off. i would move things like rape, violence, abuse, etc into the CW tag category as well.

maybe there should be a thread about this specifically where people discuss different ideas? I've brought it up in a few threads before but there wasn't much traction. until a system like this is added i will continue to put warnings on chapters that i edit.

Integra%2010
joined Dec 4, 2019

Hmmm I didn’t find the joke that funny, but that’s just my comedy taste...

Thanks scanlators for the heads up, TW are always helpful and appreciated!

joined Nov 21, 2018

I actually did think the joke was funny, but I also get that other people's levels of sensitivity are gonna be different. Kudos to the translation team for helping people out.

To reply you must either login or sign up.