Forum › At That Place Where You Can See the Ocean discussion

Ak12-an94
joined Mar 10, 2018

Amazing. ♥

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Gotta agree with the last TL note- It was great, but I still want more :)

Yuuparu%20cuddle
joined Apr 7, 2013

I guess I'm the only one who, despite being happy they ended up together, am disappointed with the supernatural element of it. It's like the mangaka wanted to write a more conventional story about a yuri couple, and then copped out, because... they didn't want the girl to be a divorcee? They didn't want the couple to be so old? I dunno...

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

I must have been reading too many tragedies lately because I kept reading, fully expecting it to be revealed she actually died from the jump and that everything taking place in the retconned version was really just a dying what if. Pretty cute for what it had to show tho.

I was actually expecting them both jumping into the ocean in the end.

whitenight2013
Tumblr_inline_o3faqeqbgs1s9j5kz_400
joined Mar 10, 2018

Nice. I thought it was going to end up more angsty with the whole "failure means death" thing, but my expectations were exceeded.

Im%20gonna%20fucking%20cry%20koyuki
joined Nov 5, 2017

This art is lovely

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

Can she still beat him up? Please?

63515893-13a8-47bc-ac30-925c9c72c86e
joined Mar 1, 2018

quickly saves it into my Favorites

0025_2d6ec0da0f4bf2e38ab1a00396fa809b
joined Feb 7, 2013

One thing I love about manga is, everything is possible and we can choose to believe in what we comfortable with.

Ivan's%20words%20of%20wisdom
joined Jun 22, 2013

Sounds like they're gonna go beat up the husband-to-be together and then go full Thelma and Louise.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

I guess I'm the only one who, despite being happy they ended up together, am disappointed with the supernatural element of it. It's like the mangaka wanted to write a more conventional story about a yuri couple, and then copped out, because... they didn't want the girl to be a divorcee? They didn't want the couple to be so old? I dunno...

I don't think the author wanted to write a "conventional" story at all, and I also don't think the super natural element is a cop out either. The entire narrative of the story feels to be based around a "what if", what if you could go back in time and save the person you love before their abusive marriage even happened? What if you had the courage on the day of the wedding to stop it? To run away with the person you love, and never have them be in the abusive marriage for even a second? What if there was supernatural force from a supposed god that could make this wish come true?

That's why the entire narrative feels intentional to me, and doesn't feel lazy or like a cop out in my eyes. We already have several stories dealing with divorce, people moving on from their marriages and getting together with a better partner later in life, embracing their true sexuality, and those can be great. I just think this author wanted to do something different here, and at least as far as I know, a narrative like this is more uncommon. Where someone gets one chance to go back in time to stop a marriage from ever happening.

We also have a good amount of characters in Yuri that regret not being able to confess to their crush before the crush got married to a man. So that's another reason why I strongly believe the author specifically wanted to use time travel from the start, and as a central part of the story. The idea of going back in time to stop a marriage and running away with your beloved is extremely cathartic for many people for numerous reasons.

last edited at Mar 24, 2021 4:32PM

Dynasty9
joined Aug 21, 2016

ᵍʳᵉᵉᵈʸ ˡᶦᵗᵗˡᵉ ᵍᵒᵇˡᶦⁿ ʰᵉʳᵉ ᵃⁿᵈ ᴵ ʷᵃⁿᵗ ᵐᵒʳᵉ ᵗʸ

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

I'm just glad they're not dead. ^_^ I'm just going to option the movie rights and spam every studio in Hollywood until this gets made.

joined Sep 27, 2017

I'm just glad they're not dead. ^_^ I'm just going to option the movie rights and spam every studio in Hollywood until this gets made.

Put your money towards an Indie studio imo, for a short movie maybe? Big Hollywood studios often just butcher things unfortunately haha

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

This was 10 thousand times better than Pages in Search of a Bookmark, even though we all know that she's actually dead and this is probably her last dreaming before drowning #sorrynotsorry

joined Sep 27, 2017

This was 10 thousand times better than Pages in Search of a Bookmark, even though we all know that she's actually dead and this is probably her last dreaming before drowning #sorrynotsorry

When you say "we all know", I say speak for your self. I'll see this as a true happy story, and you can have + keep the depressing interpretation for your self because I certainly don't want it :P

joined Jan 8, 2016

I don't think the one-shot itself was that ominous, we've just been so trained by everything else that demands a dark twist. The manga itself was pretty straightforward, hey, there's this legend about this place, okay, I'll try it, okay, it worked, okay, the shitty husband actually very realistically would make her want to run away if she has the option. Yay.

%e2%80%8f%e2%80%8f3b41c630da1d5f54055c73f6c5e80f31%20-%20%d9%86%d8%b3%d8%ae%d8%a9
joined May 24, 2020

if it's only has more pages............................
It'll be really good if oneshots become extinct

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

I don't think the one-shot itself was that ominous, we've just been so trained by everything else that demands a dark twist. The manga itself was pretty straightforward, hey, there's this legend about this place, okay, I'll try it, okay, it worked, okay, the shitty husband actually very realistically would make her want to run away if she has the option. Yay.

i actually didn't think for a second she would actually drown lol

joined Sep 27, 2017

if it's only has more pages............................
It'll be really good if oneshots become extinct

I don't think one-shots will ever become extinct, they're short comics people make usually either for fun or so they can sell them, often made on creator's own free time. There's also one-shot collections, they will sometimes center around a theme, sometimes focus around a singular author, or showcase numerous authors, there's many ways to do one-shot collections and reasons for them to exist.

It's a bit like how you can make a really good short film, animated or live action. A short story can easy encapsulate a few ideas and key points a creator wishes to convey. Short stories also enable people to create things without having to dedicate a ton of time and resources to the project, unlike a full series or feature film. A larger project requires more time, funding, and often more people to help with the project. We're also talking about Japan here, where Comiket is a massive, massive, deal. A place for people to sell their original and parody doujins, SFW/Questionable/NSFW, often one-shots, or sometimes 2-3 issues. Short comics are an incredibly popular medium in Japan.

I understand wanting one-shots to be longer, and hoping that they get serialized into a full series, but I think this author did a great job conveying the narrative that they wanted to within the length of this short story.

last edited at Mar 25, 2021 12:16AM

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

This felt cheat-ish. As if we came in at the end of the story just in time for the happily ever after, without actually experiencing all of the drama and pain the characters went through to get there. Story is still good though.

joined Sep 27, 2017

This felt cheat-ish. As if we came in at the end of the story just in time for the happily ever after, without actually experiencing all of the drama and pain the characters went through to get there. Story is still good though.

Maybe the author just didn't want to focus on the pain. They used various context like the texts to quickly explain how crappy the husband is, and then the author was able to focus on the solution for the bigger part of this short story. So I don't think that's cheating, instead it's simply choosing what to focus the narrative on.

Plus based on the numerous manga we've seen on Dynasty with crappy husbands, I certainly don't mind sometimes skipping the 5-15 or so chapters of abuse.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Maybe the author just didn't want to focus on the pain. They used various context like the texts to quickly explain how crappy the husband is, and then the author was able to focus on the solution for the bigger part of this short story. So I don't think that's cheating, instead it's simply choosing what to focus the narrative on.

Plus based on the numerous manga we've seen on Dynasty with crappy husbands, I certainly don't mind sometimes skipping the 5-15 or so chapters of abuse.

I agree reading the 5-15 chapters, of watching the jerk husband/boyfriend abuse the love interest, while the hero can only sit there and watch, totally sucks. But It makes the ending that much sweeter. However, like I said, I still liked this story, I just don't think it had the emotional impact that it would have if we would have taken the whole journey with the characters.

joined Sep 27, 2017

I agree reading the 5-15 chapters, of watching the jerk husband/boyfriend abuse the love interest, while the hero can only sit there and watch, totally sucks. But It makes the ending that much sweeter. However, like I said, I still liked this story, I just don't think it had the emotional impact that it would have if we would have taken the whole journey with the characters.

Well that's entirely fair. A longer story with more time to flesh out the characters and story will pretty much always hit harder. I'm just glad we sometimes get the gist in a short and sweet manner like this haha

last edited at Mar 25, 2021 3:15AM

joined Oct 25, 2016

I was wondering near the end if both MCs decided to jump in the ocean that same night and both died and is living in yuri beach heaven. But this way is better.

To reply you must either login or sign up.