Forum › Opapagoto discussion

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Except a good comedy is made more so by good characters and premise, those things are lacking here.
Well actually the cast looks interesting.......mostly (plane girl im looking at you) but we have not really MET any of them yet, introductions were so short it really doesn't feel like there was a point.

That's true, most of the cast are placeholders where we assume characters will go when the author gets around to it.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Comedy is very subjective, what some people find hilarious, others don't (that's why I think is the hardest genre to write).

Yea, comedy in this case is not doing it for me, not a single giggle so far... Well, I did smile at that last bit where they thought father was dead.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Comedy is very subjective, what some people find hilarious, others don't (that's why I think is the hardest genre to write).

Yea, comedy in this case is not doing it for me, not a single giggle so far... Well, I did smile at that last bit where they thought father was dead.

That whole "treatment' scene was great, especially with "father" not understanding what was happening to her. Good, goofy stuff. And then the next day the inspectors or whatever remind me of the overarching premise I was sort of hoping the author had forgotten about.

joined Dec 3, 2014

I'm not really into the "fate" thing so while its true that at the start only paper plane girl 's affection is genuine, I don't really feel like rooting for her.

On the other hand, while its true that the mom just plays along with her role, it seems like she eventually did end up falling for MC and acknowledge her as the person she is (not who she is impersonating)

And so far, aside from the occasional blushing since the mom is too erotic, the main hasnt show any interest in neither of them.

So i would say their chance is 50/50 though. Would be nice if first girl doesnt win for once.

(Nez Note I assume that was a spoiler since it's not something that happens in this chapter, so i tagged it for you.)

last edited at Dec 3, 2014 12:39AM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

That whole "treatment' scene was great, especially with "father" not understanding what was happening to her. Good, goofy stuff. And then the next day the inspectors or whatever remind me of the overarching premise I was sort of hoping the author had forgotten about.

But that is what the manga is rooted onto, that is the plot, and it will probably be around all throughout... I also feel like it detracts from it quite badly.

last edited at Dec 3, 2014 12:49AM

Anime
joined Oct 20, 2014

Well, you just need to know them more anyways. I ship the father and the plane girl because I like it anyways, besides you guys can go ahead on shipping father x mother anyways. But I'm a Cliche idiot for liking plane girl x father.

Did you change your avatar?

joined Nov 11, 2010

As yuri goes, I don't believe the premise/setup necessarily has to be an obstacle considering we've already got the MC as an impersonator. If the girl who was originally supposed to be the 'father' returns at some point, and the family manages to persist/stay in one piece after that ordeal, then I think that would speak to the strengths of their relationships in reality (particularly with the mother).

I will say that I'm rooting for the Mother x Father pair myself. Additionally, I'm pretty fond of the whackiness of the art, which reminds me of Comprehensive Tovarisch. I'm with Nezchan in that the ending of ch. 3 was a downer, but everything else considered feel like the series is doing pretty fine as a whole (for now anyway. It's still early days yet.).

joined Dec 3, 2014

As yuri goes, I don't believe the premise/setup necessarily has to be an obstacle considering we've already got the MC as an impersonator. If the girl who was originally supposed to be the 'father' returns at some point, and the family manages to persist/stay in one piece after that ordeal, then I think that would speak to the strengths of their relationships in reality (particularly with the mother).

I will say that I'm rooting for the Mother x Father pair myself. Additionally, I'm pretty fond of the whackiness of the art, which reminds me of Comprehensive Tovarisch. I'm with Nezchan in that the ending of ch. 3 was a downer, but everything else considered feel like the series is doing pretty fine as a whole (for now anyway. It's still early days yet.).

True, i also enjoy the art of this series very much.

And sorry for the spoiler, I'm very new to thus forum thus I'm not really familiar with the tag function.

Mulan1
joined May 18, 2013

You can just say "it's all comics" about everything on the reader, so it's not worth discussing anything. Clearly that's ridiculous. You absolutely can discuss comedy, whether it works or is well written or whatever. The fact that you like it isn't justification for telling everyone else to be quiet about it.

For me at least, the premise actually gets in the way of the funny. It's treated too much as a blunt weapon, and dragging it in just when the character interaction is funny in its own right is the very picture of "not reading the mood".

Now you are just putting words in my mouth. I never said everyone to be quiet about their criticism. I saw too many negative things in this story so I put what I think about it.

I found the whole thing very endearing and hilarious because I started seeing a family and not a group of girls pretending to be one. They're a bunch of really great method actors.

What he/she said. ^^
Plus there are many other stories that focus on serious topics in this website and the discussion within them are...(you know) serious. This story is probably purely comedic with some plot and romance and not mean to offend anyone with its premise. Again, comedy isn't everyone's cup of tea and different people have different tastes.

P.S: I like cliche and classical ending. It will be nice if the paper plane girl is the end girl. However, I am up for a surprised pairing....(hopefully not the "eldest son")

last edited at Dec 3, 2014 3:43AM

Ejej
joined Aug 24, 2014

I'm pretty sure the story will end with papa with mama, and the paper airplane girl heart broken. But this is just my guess, maybe she won't end up with anyone.

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

I'm pretty sure the story will end with papa with mama, and the paper airplane girl heart broken. But this is just my guess, maybe she won't end up with anyone.

If this happen, I will be happy x)

joined Feb 15, 2013

How can she resist her wife advance.... Gah. This manga is so unrealistic!! No one can resist that girl in real world!!

Anyway j/k aside. Yeah Haruhi x Yukari (the wife) seems to be a good match. And if Ayumi (the paper plane girl) met Haruhi first, then Yukari is the one who met Haruhi last. In story development cliche, they should both have a fair chance. Really like Chikako as well. She's the best amongst the daughters. I think i just like kids who acting mature/ trying to be an older sister...

Edit: on another note, why you guys have to be so serious about school life settings? I means even in real life, high school het crush also could barely last. But i don't think anyone ever compliant about the settings. Starting fake or not, It'sfate that let Haruhi to meet her fated one!!

last edited at Dec 3, 2014 11:55AM

969153_636130159747876_1489078614_n
joined Apr 10, 2013

Mother is just so... so... so fucking adorable.

I want her as my wife, hot damn, she's cute and sexy at the same time.

Me%20toooo
joined Feb 9, 2014

Well, you just need to know them more anyways. I ship the father and the plane girl because I like it anyways, besides you guys can go ahead on shipping father x mother anyways. But I'm a Cliche idiot for liking plane girl x father.

Did you change your avatar?

yea

9f884eb4-9edd-4d0a-a5a6-a97e2125366d
joined May 7, 2014

Aw, man, it's hard to refrain from telling you guys what's really going to happen between Haruhi, Yukari, and Ayumi. But, I can guarantee a lot of you guys will be happy with the outcome. c;

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Aw, man, it's hard to refrain from telling you guys what's really going to happen between Haruhi, Yukari, and Ayumi. But, I can guarantee a lot of you guys will be happy with the outcome. c;

Personally I'd like to see the group of them rebel against the stupid system but I don't know how likely that is to happen. It'd be pretty cool though.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

please just tell me via spoilers so i can know whether i want to drop or not.

joined Jul 5, 2014

I wanna know, too >_>

9f884eb4-9edd-4d0a-a5a6-a97e2125366d
joined May 7, 2014

I wanna know, too >_>

Sigh
MOM X DAD OTP ALL THE WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY SOBS OH GOD
There.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less who "father" ends up with. I just want to see someone smash the stupid system and stick it to the ones who put them all there in the first place. That's what would make me happy.

Well, girl kisses would be nice too. But I want those in every series.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

I wanna know, too >_>

Sigh
There.

really? they really do the interesting thing and not plane girl? FUCK YEAH

joined Feb 15, 2013

Sigh
There.

Fck you.... knowing that now how can i wait until they translate all these chapters....

World.... please don't end before all the chapters are translated

(I'm just j/k btw)

last edited at Dec 7, 2014 3:46PM

joined Dec 3, 2014

So raw of the last chapter of Opapagoto is out and anyone wants to avoid spoiler can stop reading the lines below.

To be honest, I've always expected this manga to have an open end with no resolution between the mother and the daughter, and everything would be kept at status quo. After Haruhi left, the family would eventually find a way for her to come back, and that's it.

But in the end we got a solid yuri ending, with a full-blown victory for the Yukari and even a kiss. Yep, not a single thread of hope remained for Ayumi here. So kudos to the author for at least making a conclusive end.

Now to discuss about Yukari - Ayumi and their relationship with Haruhi. I think this is one of the compelling aspect of the story though (for me only maybe), yet also one of its weakest point

The thing is, even if I ship Yukari-Haruhi, I myself didn't really believe Yukari would win. This is because, as the way the story was presented, Ayumi was always the person closest to the role of the heroine. She was the first person to meet Haruhi , the first to like her, and the most important thing is, she was the only one in the family that we got to see inner dialogue, together with Haruhi. And as always, she would be the first one to act, the first one to reach out when things happen.

Such a contrast to Yukari. Ayumi is clearly everything she is not.

While Ayumi subconsciously rejected the system, Yukari was definitely the one who embraced it the most. She was so into the play that even she even got Haruhi freaked out. She is the last one who got introduced into the picture, and also the most composing and calculated one. In an arc, she would only appear at the end, and magically solve thing by "pulling some strings". You would expect a character like this to slowly fade into the background, as she realized the love of main heroine for MC, she would try to bring them together.

Ah, but the thing is, in this manga, Yukari fell for Haruhi. It's just one moment, and boom, all chance for Ayumi is like, gone. Because at the moment they become competitors, Ayumi has lost. The chemistry between Yukari and Haruhi is simply just one Ayumi and Haruhi doesn't have. Because from the start, Haruhi has never seen Ayumi more than a friend, and that's why even after a tearing confession, Haruhi can only kindly reject her when whoop, a kiss and Yukari completely swept Haruhi away.

Ayumi fails because instead of being the one defying fate (where she is being put as the daughter), she is actually riding on fate herself (the paper plane), while Yukari, who embraced it most, in the end turn it around for her favour. First love and fate, things like that don't always work out. And what taken Haruhi's heart, was not eagerness and perseverance from the crush of a young maiden, but instant infatuation from the moment she met Yukari and Yukari's love, though quiet, is burning with passion.

So why is it bad? Because in the end, Ayumi is just... there. All her dialogues, all her development, at the end, is for nothing, and she is pushed to the sideline. The story would be so much better if she IS the narrator, and at the end of the story, she would finally have st for herself to reflect and live on. This solution also justifies all the spotlight she got in the story. It can be like "At the Bottom of the Staircase to Adulthood", a story which i tremendously like and recommend. I wish the author would give her some closure in bonus chapter, because with how it ended now I just feel bad for her. It is puzzling to me why the author decided to give Ayumi so much screen time, when clearly he has chosen Yukari as the winner from the start.

End of my rant.

On a side note, the kiss between Yukari and Haruhi totally got me screaming like crazy. Oh boy!

last edited at Jan 2, 2015 1:54PM

Es1-3muwmamw-fl
joined Dec 20, 2014

^^^^^^↑↑↑^^^^^™

That is the most beautiful, heartfelt, touching and moving post I've ever read.

last edited at Jan 2, 2015 12:58PM

Icon_yasubee_01
joined Oct 31, 2013

Now I don't need to buy the next volume. rofl waffle.
Supposedly main heroine focus Ayumi got tossed aside with not even a bonus chapter to redeem her in some way eh? How unfortunate. I sorta expected a bonus chapter at least.

last edited at Jan 2, 2015 10:53PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.