Forum › tragic love film discussion

joined Apr 9, 2014

;/ typical

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

So is this getting a continuation or is this just a sad oneshot? either way this was just ok.
I mean its better than some oneshots but with jin my standards are raised so its just kinda meh compared to her other stuff.

last edited at Nov 25, 2014 10:49AM

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

uhhm, dunno how many times I've read this same story done by many different artists...

last edited at Nov 25, 2014 11:14AM

E8xkjfiweawhwl5
joined Sep 23, 2013

Takemiya did it again...

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

Boyfriend-san? ''So, like this and that happened''?

A + writing, would read again

last edited at Nov 25, 2014 11:16AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

uhhm, dunno how many times I've read this same story done by many different artists...

Kinda like saying "how many musicians I've heard to Unchained Rhythm". I think it's kinda nice to see artists show their take on an old standard.

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Kinda like saying "how many musicians I've heard to Unchained Rhythm". I think it's kinda nice to see artists show their take on an old standard.

Somehow it's just all too similar...
- Drinking
- Bitching about boyfriend
- "Would be nice if you were a guy"
- Safely falling asleep
- Having that repeatedly
- Keeping feelings secret
The only difference is that in some works it happens after each break-up, and in others it's about same boyfriend...

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

- Drinking
- Safely falling asleep
- Having that repeatedly
The only difference is that in some works it happens after each break-up, and in others it's about same boyfriend...

Oh, it's all familiar. But like cover versions of classic songs, it's not so much about the originality of the plot as the quality of the artist's performance on a familiar framework. And, well, Takemiya Jin does a pretty sweet rendition in this case.

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Yeah. I've never felt the argument of "I've seen/heard this before" ever holds true, because there is no such thing as original work in this world. At some point or another someone has made a very similar story to the one you are experiencing.

That being said, I don't know what kind of charge I want to put on this one. I don't know what the heck Jin is trying to do plot-wise with Sempai's last words before falling asleep and the fact that the movie ended up being a happy end.

It's completely true that we say unexpectedly wise words when we're drunk, but unfortunately we usually can't hear what we're saying. So I don't know to what extent to take Sempai's words about Hana being her boyfriend if she were a guy.

Completely true that we can and do have fights with the people we love, but I'm not sure to what extent Sempai's feelings are actually love if they're fighting this much. Seems like a common thing.

I loved Fragments of Love and a few other scattered works by this artist, but this one plops into the category of many of his/her other works. I'm just confused on how I want to feel about it.

...wow that was a long post.

Tmp_bh7jrkjcyaakw52-1123006053
joined Apr 15, 2011

- Drinking
- Safely falling asleep
- Having that repeatedly

true, but how is that any different from real life events? this is just Takamiya-san's take on a common theme.

so let me pose this question to those that find this oneshot banal (i.e. boring and unoriginal), how would you have framed the story/plot?

last edited at Nov 25, 2014 11:50AM

Love.live!.600.1492198
joined Sep 4, 2014

ouch, Takemiya. again and again :v

Tumblr_lhn2y5j5rz1qbc0x9
joined Jul 26, 2013

Sigh. This is how I feel every time I fall for a straight girl....

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

Maybe first, how about not taking the most raw elements story like those offer and actually give them something resembling a character:
Boyfriend-san? seriously, not even a name? Or should I call him Foil-san?
''This and that?'' What did he do? Did he upset you? Did he flirt with another girl? Or can I take it, that's what the Kouhai is actually experiencing and it's all from her perspective, which is why the script doesn't give two fucks and a corndog?

Maybe it's a little harsh but I will not root for Yuri if it's set-piece storytelling

Tmp_bh7jrkjcyaakw52-1123006053
joined Apr 15, 2011

two fucks and a corndog?

i've never heard it phrased quite that way... i like it. +1 for originality

:-D

ok, so it's boilerplate. i'm not making any excuses for Takamiya-sensei, but it does make me wonder how many stories a year these mangaka release, and of that number, how many fall into the boilerplate category (by that i mean, simplistic story written to fill a contractual obligation to a publication)? I am guessing a larger number than expected is boilerplate. but then again, maybe this is just the story she felt like releasing, and it just happens to be
boilerplate/boring/<add_your_favorite_adjective_describing_blah-ness>. who knows.

Images_(2)
joined Feb 10, 2013

..hmmm...I expected that kind of ending..sigh..

joined Oct 6, 2014

While it is a tired trope, this does happen quite a bit to queer people, especially ones without much of a queer community to belong to.

Images_(2)
joined Feb 10, 2013

..your right, it's true to life story but still it's lonely..(vov)

886f8d05.m
joined Mar 26, 2014

TAKEMIYA JIN!! I HAD HOPE!! WHY?! .... orz

Dynasty
joined Apr 18, 2013

Well, it's sad, but pretty realistic though. :D My first love (straight one, of course) told me her boyfriend is similar to me and that's the reason she likes him so much. :D And I love everything from Takemiya, so no complaints here.

Bayonettamachinekill
joined Apr 8, 2013

Jin don't put up with bitches stay with me..lets party like no tommorow hang out it gay bars throw wet toilet paper to het couples. Get so drunk we can't stand up ....party! Like no tommorow! I'M SICK of this traget incident the fluvk with women like this lets party and pretend they don't live in this planet.

Ba6830e9-5391-43ab-838d-9b1794f709e7
joined Jul 8, 2013

Takemiya has been rounding off those mantis heads lately. Looking much better.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Boyfriend-san? ''So, like this and that happened''?

A + writing, would read again

I'm not a particularly big fan of this one but I think picking on those two details is a bit eh. It might seem lazy but not bothering naming him just shows that his name is entirely irrelevant to the story. Same with that second part. It's implied it's something fairly small and that's all that's really relevant to the story. I think there are far more valid criticisms you could make of it such as some of the stuff others have pointed out.

Ejej
joined Aug 24, 2014

I admit, this is very cliche: but common let's face the facts, it's near impossible to write an original yuri, or an original MANGA IN GENERAL. Yuri writers tend to make the main character start off straight, have a beautiful maiden confess, then "Omigod meh hart wont stahp beetting....?!" However the beauty of these authors is that they all inculcate different implacations, which is why I love yuri so much.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

"Omigod meh hart wont stahp beetting....?!"

It hurts how true this is.

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Laaaaame.

To reply you must either login or sign up.