Forum › My Nightly Breath discussion

afkeroge Uploader
Nanayuu
Noca Scans
joined May 29, 2015

Moya is a new Pixiv artist. Support them here.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

So uh....if the body is there at the bottom of the lake for some reason, shouldn't she report it? Get her friend/girlfriend a more peaceful place to rest? This whole thing was really odd for a few reasons, but that stuck out like a sore thumb. Anyhow, thanks for the translation!

0ee2c60a-7956-404b-9118-b3d2a41bdeae
joined Dec 7, 2020

Ghost tag always makes me sad

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

So uh....if the body is there at the bottom of the lake for some reason, shouldn't she report it? Get her friend/girlfriend a more peaceful place to rest?

Maybe she doesn't because then she won't be able to meet the ghost anymore?

joined Sep 27, 2017

So uh....if the body is there at the bottom of the lake for some reason, shouldn't she report it? Get her friend/girlfriend a more peaceful place to rest?

Maybe she doesn't because then she won't be able to meet the ghost anymore?

In theory couldn't she meet the ghost in a Graveyard though? I just think it would be a bit less depressing than having her at the bottom of the lake, "where the sun doesn't reach".

Fb_img_1479131434796
joined Oct 6, 2014

I dont really understand this and it strikes me as pointless.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

In theory couldn't she meet the ghost in a Graveyard though? I just think it would be a bit less depressing than having her at the bottom of the lake, "where the sun doesn't reach".

^ Being bound to places of death thanks to emotional attachment is a significant theme in Japanese occult stories. I'm pretty sure the body's just a rotten pile of bones at this point, and what's actually binding the ghost in place is her attachment to her friend. Maybe she came to the lake because she felt lonely and depressed, and jumped in on a particularly bad day before coming back as a ghost because she didn't actually want to die and leave her friend behind. The whole 'before the darkness consumes me' part seems like a big flag for barely-repressed existential angst. I'm guessing the ghost will blink out of existence once her friend loses interest or hope, and the part about fading away naturally is a lie. By chasing her friend away, the ghost is simultaneously trying to stop her from also jumping in whilst also ensuring her own death.

Well, either that or we could go with the classic, "It's all a figment of the living girl's imagination" theory, and attribute any weirdness to psychological factors rather than paranormal biology (ectoplasmology?)

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Full moons only happen about once a month right? She must not be seeing her very often

Oops, she said bright moons, my mistake

last edited at Dec 22, 2020 6:00AM

A%20%20gallery_compress77
joined Jan 11, 2019

t_t

09001e59-3b14-4323-9cd6-041863821152
joined Jan 18, 2019

This was depressing

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This was depressing

There’s kind of a built-in governor for how cheerful yuri stories with the Ghost Tag can be.

Because, you know, at least one of the MCs is likely to be dead.

Download%20(11)
joined Jan 27, 2016

Man this ruined my day

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

Man I’ve never thought about how horrible a death drowning in a dark lake would be, learn to swim kids

last edited at Dec 22, 2020 9:04AM

DepressedFailure
90625025_2762116050503569_107751684255514624_n
joined Mar 22, 2019

Yeah, thanks for reinforcing my fear of deep bodies of water.

joined Jul 8, 2019

Re: "Why the body is still down there": Sadly, I can bear witness that sometimes, the bodies of drowning victims are never actually found, despite the best efforts of the rescuers, even if they know roughly where the victim drowned. Yes, even in lakes with no current. If the bottom is muddy enough, visibility can be zero and rescue divers can easily miss the body even right in front of them.

Man I’ve never thought about how horrible a death drowning in a dark lake would be, learn to swim kids

Far too many romantic writters (as in, actual XIX cent. Romanticism) idealised the death by drowning because the often decievingly peaceful appeareance of the (wound-less) bodies once found, when in reality it's quite the hard way to go. As sad as the tale is, it's surprisingly refreshing to see the mangaka avoided that trope and warned about it.

last edited at Dec 22, 2020 10:28AM

joined May 11, 2018

That's it? Ended before I could feel anything. Still a good read though

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

I dont really understand this and it strikes me as pointless.

Understanding is not a requisite of cooperation.

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

Far too many romantic writters (as in, actual XIX cent. Romanticism) idealised the death by drowning because the often decievingly peaceful appeareance of the (wound-less) bodies once found, when in reality it's quite the hard way to go. As sad as the tale is, it's surprisingly refreshing to see the mangaka avoided that trope and warned about it.

Its weird, always wondered why it was even romanticized in the first place, even now it still is romanticized by alot of people, slowly suffocating to death in the cold dark water while desperately trying to get out of there sounds like a really shitty way to go.

joined Sep 27, 2017

^ Being bound to places of death thanks to emotional attachment is a significant theme in Japanese occult stories. I'm pretty sure the body's just a rotten pile of bones at this point, and what's actually binding the ghost in place is her attachment to her friend. Maybe she came to the lake because she felt lonely and depressed, and jumped in on a particularly bad day before coming back as a ghost because she didn't actually want to die and leave her friend behind. The whole 'before the darkness consumes me' part seems like a big flag for barely-repressed existential angst. I'm guessing the ghost will blink out of existence once her friend loses interest or hope, and the part about fading away naturally is a lie. By chasing her friend away, the ghost is simultaneously trying to stop her from also jumping in whilst also ensuring her own death.

Well, either that or we could go with the classic, "It's all a figment of the living girl's imagination" theory, and attribute any weirdness to psychological factors rather than paranormal biology (ectoplasmology?)

Yeah you have a point about being bound to the place of death, still I'd prefer to make an exception to give her a better resting place.

Edit: Also @Erana: Unfortunately it makes a lot of sense that a lot of drowning cases involve bodies that are never found, I didn't really think about it because that's a very depressing thought.

last edited at Dec 22, 2020 10:56AM

Im%20gonna%20fucking%20cry%20koyuki
joined Nov 5, 2017

P A I N

This was depressing

There’s kind of a built-in governor for how cheerful yuri stories with the Ghost Tag can be.

Counterpoint: Kindred Spirits on the Roof.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This was depressing

Good call, although of course that would be Ghosts, plural.

But in the fair number of yuri stories about one live person and one dead person that I can remember, “bittersweet” is about the best they can do.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

This was depressing

To be fair, the scene in KSOTR where the ghosts ascend to heaven after having body possession sex was pretty depressing, even considering the hilarious absurdity of the situation.

Good call, although of course that would be Ghosts, plural.

But in the fair number of yuri stories about one live person and one dead person that I can remember, “bittersweet” is about the best they can do.

Exhibit B: The Death and Burial of Marisa Kirisame.

Nekopop%20avatar%20resized
joined Aug 12, 2020

When I see the Ghost tag, I'm clicking to get my soul-crushing thousand yard stare feels on, and this did not disappoint.

One of these days I want to see a one shot Ghost yuri expand to a full 10 chapter blow out of agony and regret. Something like Nagisa begins to suffer traumatic mental breakdowns from the pain of being a doomed spirit in front of Ako at all hours and begging for her company before she vanishes into nothing forever. Ako, driven to madness, commits suicide in front of her family and comes back as a ghost only to glimpse Nagisa fade into nothingness while screaming in desperate horror. Ako is left to wander alone for the rest of eternity.

To reply you must either login or sign up.