Forum › A Carrot, a Stick, and You discussion

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

Oh so thats what the title of The Whipping Girl refers too, learn something new every day

joined Dec 17, 2020

Cute~ :)

Ewe
joined Jan 22, 2017

Just friends, nothing more.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Did the translators understand the metaphor for carrot and stick? The chocolate and whip seems identical in effect, and there is no reason for either to have any balance? What balance? They didnt explain it very well in their notes.

Its refering to methods of persuation- of either donkey, or human in the german version.

Its saying which works best as a method of persuation- offering an incentive such as a carrot dangled in front of the donkey, offering chocolate to a human- or will you get better results if you beat the donkey with a stick, or whip the human, till they do what you want? Its not a choice you are giving them.

Or to put simply, the carrot or the stick? Is asking which works best, to reward success, or punish failiure?

That aside, I liked it :)

last edited at Dec 20, 2020 7:17AM

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

Did the translators understand the metaphor for carrot and stick? The chocolate and whip seems identical in effect, and there is no reason for either to have any balance? What balance? They didnt explain it very well in their notes.

Well I think the whole point of that translator note was that a carrot is a rather crap reward for people :P

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^Well, thats true lol- that makes sense why they explained it was talking about donkeys.. But they still didnt really explain the metaphor, unless they just assume they dont need to because everyone gets it. And also the balance comment still makes me think they didnt quite get it- the stick and carrot are not CHOICES offered.

last edited at Dec 21, 2020 8:01PM

Download
joined Aug 25, 2019

I just found this artist, and I'm already in love their artstlye and work.

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

No one understands metaphors about horses either, these days. Every time I see "free reign", or, even worse, "reign it in" (what do they even think that means?), it makes me want to punch someone. Another one of my Pet Hates™ revealed...

All of which is completely off topic, of course.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

This reminds me of one of the lines that goblin taskmaskers would say in an LOTR strategy game I played as a kid- "Where there's a whip, there's a way."

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

It's funny that she thought offering a position as a whipping boy (or girl) could be viewed as some kind of favor. I'm reminded of Boris Vian:

"Abou-Hassan, écout'moi
Je te nomme Grand Eunuque!"
Abou-Hassan le reluque
Et dit: "Je ne marche pas."

Integra%2010
joined Dec 4, 2019

This is my first time hearing the Japanese (German?) version before, I like it! I’m also loving this excellent dynamic between maid and mistress.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^Thats the point they were making right? that it pissed them off when they see 'free reign' or 'reign it in'- they are clearly their examples of how the sayings are often used wrong.

And they are. You will see them wrote reign as often as rein - and as they say, written as 'free reign' or 'reign it in' they make no sense- and do the people writing them like that not even realise ?

last edited at Dec 21, 2020 8:06AM

Pooooog103139
joined Nov 12, 2020

thought it was gonna be some s&m play, left with a fulfilled heart

Screenshot%202018-12-25%20at%2001.01.20
joined Jul 22, 2017

now THIS is the spicy maid x mistress content I like to see

"I already know you love me" I'M DEAD

last edited at Dec 21, 2020 10:21AM

joined Nov 27, 2017

or, even worse, "reign it in" (what do they even think that means?)

A shift in focus towards inward control of ones subordinates or faculties in order to shore up stability and prevent unnecessary risk. (rule inwardly) Neither eggcorn has ever seemed like a terrific stretch to me since reign and rein map to basically the same metaphors, (control/authority) and I fully expect reign to be the more generally accepted spelling for both eventually.

On the actual topic, (lol) I found this honestly way more endearing than expected. I'm generally kinda exhausted and bored of maid setups but the dynamic was pleasant and the absurdity was well managed and deployed. The story's not much, but it manages to be fun.

last edited at Dec 21, 2020 11:03AM

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

thought it was gonna be some s&m play, left with a fulfilled heart

Same, totally expected some kinky stuff, but it turned out to be really sweet.

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

No one understands metaphors about horses either, these days. Every time I see "free reign", or, even worse, "reign it in" (what do they even think that means?), it makes me want to punch someone. Another one of my Pet Hates™ revealed...

All of which is completely off topic, of course.

"Free reign"? "Reign it in"? I thought it was "free rain" and "rain it in"!

On a marginally more serious note, it's not impossible that those could become acceptable variations if they're used commonly enough. Except maybe in France. France is weird.
edit: damnit, Irrelevant beat me to the punch and their message was clearer as well. Whatever, I still got to do the bad joke.

last edited at Dec 22, 2020 5:13PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.