Forum › My Best Friend's Engagement was Annulled. I Need To Do My Best To Stop It! ...But I Was The Reason Behind It... discussion

Ponytailcatra
joined Jan 28, 2019

... shit, now I actually really want to see that. Like do a Handsome Girl and Sheltered Girl thing, where the prince is trying to disguise that she’s a woman because she doesn’t want to lose the villainess, but then she finds out the villainess is gay because she’s in love with the heroine so she reveals herself and they poly it up. Shit, maybe I’ll write something like that...

This would be genuinely brilliant. And the endgame plot twist would be that men died out 500 years ago, leaving the kingdom inhabited solely by lesbians trying to disguise their genders to blend in with the guys without realizing that the 'guys' were also all just confused gay girls. The truth is revealed when everyone gets drunk and spills the beans at a court orgy, and the next morning, they declare a public holiday to commemorate 500 years of uselessness while energetically making up for lost time. And that, kids, is how World Lesbian Day was created.

I will read the fck out of it

Ewe
joined Jan 22, 2017

Also nobody said that the prince has to have sex with them. Maybe it's just a platonic thing and at most they'll make an heir.

I don't mind bi ends too much if you write him as a pleasant guy. Sure, I prefer "pure" yuri, but a decent guy is still better than a shitty / annoying one.

joined May 18, 2020

jesus christ okay bye

joined Dec 13, 2020

I wonder what causes more discourse here. People mad that bisexuality and polyamory exist, or the cheating-themed stories we occasionally get.

I think it's more on the fact that we expected a yuri anthology to have yuri only stories (and from what I remember only one story actually explicitly fulfilled this). Like, I'm all for bisexuality and polyamory. I just don't want to consciously consume media about them because I'm mostly interested in monogamous wlw relationships. Seeing a story of this in a yuri anthology series feels like betrayal. It was my fault in the first place for not reading the tags I guess. smh

last edited at Dec 13, 2020 4:36AM

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

I wonder what causes more discourse here. People mad that bisexuality and polyamory exist, or the cheating-themed stories we occasionally get.

I think it's more on the fact that we expected a yuri anthology to have yuri only stories (and from what I remember only one story actually explicitly fulfilled this). Like, I'm all for bisexuality and polyamory. I just don't want to consciously consume media about them because I'm mostly interested in monogamous wlw relationships. Seeing a story of this in a yuri anthology series feels like betrayal. It was my fault in the first place for not reading the tags I guess. smh

Yes, this is exactly it. I didn't feel it much with this story but I've felt it with others since they were longer and flared up my emotions more. I've realized now that you don't have to express anger about it though, like some people are doing here. I think it's when expectations are crushed that you feel the most hurt.

joined Dec 13, 2020

I was really excited for this anthology but I think this addition to it ruins it. This story throws off the whole anthology. The anthology itself says it’s girlxgirl, so I don’t know why the authors made the relationship girlxgirlxguy. The authors could’ve easily made the prince a supporter of the relationship or if they wanted there to be a twist have him be into men! But instead they decided to have a disappointing and unnecessary poly relationship and make the story inconsistent with the rest of the anthology.

joined Dec 13, 2020

This is NOT a yuri-only anthology, and was never promoted as one. It includes yuri but it is not SOLELY yuri.

Actually, it was promoted as a yuri-only anthology...the anthology LITERALLY has yuri in the name and the description says, “An anthology featuring a variety of stories with girl x girl relationships, with a focus on Heroine x Villainess!”

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

Actually, it was promoted as a yuri-only anthology...the anthology LITERALLY has yuri in the name and the description says, “An anthology featuring a variety of stories with girl x girl relationships, with a focus on Heroine x Villainess!”

I feel the need to point out that yuri-centered is not the same as yuri-only. This is a very important distinction that needs to be made. The description above says nothing about it being yuri-only. All of the anger I've seen in this thread centered on this particular point seems like people making assumptions.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

This is NOT a yuri-only anthology, and was never promoted as one. It includes yuri but it is not SOLELY yuri.

Actually it has not Yuri in it as seen here

Untitled%20(3)
joined Jan 7, 2019

I personally don't hate the story, in fact I think it is quite a change of pace, except for one thing, THIS ANTHOLOGY IS CALLED "YURI VILLAINESS ANTHOLOGY" A YURI ANTHOLOGY!, aside from this one has het, it doesnt even have a yuri, it might be just me and my single digit braincell, but if I get it right, the heroine LOVES the prince, but CARES about the MC, loving and caring are 2 different thing, so I dunno, the story in itself is okay and all, just in a wrong place/anthology.

Zigv3uyqlg0hih2ixcp8saivs99g-ehejzp51vcc89w
joined Feb 8, 2018

I checked on Japanese amazon out of curiosity and people there are indeed criticising this anthology for not being yuri in general (and for this chapter as well). Also the description really puts emphasis on heroine x villainess here.

last edited at Dec 13, 2020 8:06AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Here it's the official raw from Pixiv and here it's the translation of the title "I'm a villain daughter, but I'm being captured by the heroine !? Anthology comics" See,no Yuri in the title. As for the tags, "#Abandoned Engagement (13) #Villain (33) #Saint (16) #Root (15) #Happy End (9) #Heroine (44) #Akiko (4)".
So yeah, no yuri here either. So by god, stop saying "bUt It'S yUrI"

joined Feb 8, 2018

Here it's the official raw from Pixiv and here it's the translation of the title "I'm a villain daughter, but I'm being captured by the heroine !? Anthology comics" See,no Yuri in the title. As for the tags, "#Abandoned Engagement (13) #Villain (33) #Saint (16) #Root (15) #Happy End (9) #Heroine (44) #Akiko (4)".

ok, no issue on my end, but why is it tagged as yuri literally everywhere then?

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Maybe because the request call it like that. I don't know really.

joined Feb 8, 2018

Maybe because the request call it like that. I don't know really.

Then you should kinda understand that some people will get angry, when they get ffm triangle in something that they expected to be a "yuri" story (whether it's good one or not, imho this one was meh). Especiallly when two heroines are just typical bffs not wanting to grow up ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

joined Dec 13, 2020

Actually it has not Yuri in it as seen here

Never said it was a yuri, I said it was promoted as one because the description put emphasis on there being girl x girl relationships.

joined Mar 5, 2016

a bit plain but the basic twist is funny. needed some more pages and more fleshing out.

joined Dec 13, 2020

I feel the need to point out that yuri-centered is not the same as yuri-only. This is a very important distinction that needs to be made. The description above says nothing about it being yuri-only. All of the anger I've seen in this thread centered on this particular point seems like people making assumptions.

When the anthology puts so much emphasis on there being girl x girl relationships and literally has yuri in its title, it’s only natural people would assume it be yuri-only. And I would like to ask the question, have yuri-only anthologies/mangas ever straight out said “this is yuri-only”??

last edited at Dec 13, 2020 8:40AM

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

I suppose the publishers needed to establish their 'twist' or 'take' on the extremely saturated otome isekai villainess genre and decided to go for the girl on girl angle. Besides, the use of the word 'capture' is very clearly tied to dating sim games and implies forming a relationship, which is generally monogamous owing to the 'route' structure of videogames, so both Japanese and Western readers would've obviously assumed that it was yuri even without any tags to that effect. As a similar example, a title like 'I'm the heroine, but I triggered the villainess' H-scene!' would lead people to imply that sex was had between the two, but you could technically shove a guy in there as well, since you never mentioned that the H-scene was yuri- people would just assume that the term 'villainess' H-scene' would render it one-on-one.

It's a bit manipulative, and honestly not that wise, since people are obviously going to be mad and salty about the content even if it isn't 'false advertising', per se. Regardless of the quality of the stories, they would've still gotten mildly better rep if they made it all yuri. I wonder what persuaded them to include the story- were they pressed for time? Was there not enough variety in terms of choices? Or did the author they commissioned abruptly decide to put in an FFM polycule far too late for the editors/publishers to suggest changes or dismiss their efforts? The whole thing's just odd. I might be more interested in the thought processes of the people making this thing than I am in the actual stories at this point.

last edited at Dec 13, 2020 8:48AM

Flag-001
joined Jan 30, 2018

Power move just marry everyone.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

When the anthology puts so much emphasis on there being girl x girl relationships and literally has yuri in its title, it’s only natural people would assume it be yuri-only. And I would like to ask the question, have yuri-only anthologies/mangas ever straight out said “this is yuri-only”??

Even with so much emphasis on yuri relationships and yuri in the title, I didn't once assume it to be yuri-only. It doesn't seem natural to do so at all as far as I'm concerned. To answer your question, I don't really know if anything is ever identified in that way, but I would hope that they wouldn't go the exclusionary route. I'd hope that most publishers of works by the LGBTQ+ community wouldn't use that sort of terminology even if the stories contained within were literally only yuri and nothing else. We want a community of inclusion, right? Besides, what benefit would people have knowing that there's only yuri and nothing else in it?

Img_20190130_105529
joined Jan 29, 2019

Need wtf tag here

Img_20190130_105529
joined Jan 29, 2019

Địt mẹ tác giả luôn ạ

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

Địt mẹ tác giả luôn ạ

Translates to: Fuck you author

This is unacceptable. Fuck you and your cowardice to not even put it in English so you'd be caught instantly.

last edited at Dec 13, 2020 1:23PM

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

^ Whoa...
I have to agree: even if they disliked the story, that's going a bit too far. ( ͡ಠ ʖ̯ ͡ಠ)

To reply you must either login or sign up.