Forum › Dynasty Cafe: A Home for Off-Topic Discussion where everyone's welcome! (ღˇ◡ˇ)~♥

joined Jul 26, 2016

So a while ago video essayist Lindsay Ellis made a video about the possibility of applying the "Death of the Author" literary theory to JK Rowling's work in wake of her increasingly public transphobia... Turns out she's been receiving comments and threats from people who, it seems, sincerely believe that "Death of the author" means "I think the author should die because I disagree with their politics". I know I shouldn't be surprised, but sometimes it just hits me that some people really are that stupid.

The people making those comments likely understand what it means, they are just commenting in bad faith

I wish I still had your level of optimism regarding my fellow man.

2SpiritCherokeePrincess
Carol%20grigg
joined Jun 20, 2020

Did anyone else notice that Dynasty had a Sexual harassment tag for only one day?

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

I re-downloaded FE H because I saw the free PTS Lysithea, good civ...wdym the three lords are also there? Irrelevant! She is wearing a unique gremory costume AND her signature dark spikes spell which objectively makes her the best character in the game!

Oh and new PoR chars! I asked for FE9 Jill since before the game came out and now they put her in the game lmao. Ilyana is 4* so I can keep rolling for her so she can eat my Mia.
Still probably not doing more than just log in and roll lol

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/33276159
Cardfight!!Vanguard Kourin x Misaki

joined Mar 5, 2016

So a while ago video essayist Lindsay Ellis made a video about the possibility of applying the "Death of the Author" literary theory to JK Rowling's work in wake of her increasingly public transphobia... Turns out she's been receiving comments and threats from people who, it seems, sincerely believe that "Death of the author" means "I think the author should die because I disagree with their politics". I know I shouldn't be surprised, but sometimes it just hits me that some people really are that stupid.

The people making those comments likely understand what it means, they are just commenting in bad faith

i'm not sure it's optimism, as such, to say that they aren't misunderstanding but are instead lying in order to harass a person who doesn't hate trans people.

joined Jul 26, 2016

i'm not sure it's optimism, as such, to say that they aren't misunderstanding but are instead lying in order to harass a person who doesn't hate trans people.

It's eminently optimistic to assume they're that clever and not just standard ignorant Internets morons.

joined Jan 21, 2015

^ I do think that some people pretended not to understand what literary theory is, but honestly, I'm still confident that most of those comments are from people who really believe "Death of the author" is a threat.

In other news, I still sometimes check the Tumblr of the author of Baggataway, a sports series I still think of fondly years after it ended (the translation is unfinished unfortunately). They still upload pics from their old series occasionally, so anyone who likes it should take a look! This is the latest one, incidentally these two are my favorite couple.

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

I still find myself astonished sometimes by the fact that The Shining/It were legitimately released as horrors and not "mildly creepy thrillers(?)/only 10 year olds will find this scary" movies. Even Anabelle: The Snoozefest was scarier than these movies. Hell, Dunkirk was scarier.

last edited at Sep 19, 2020 11:03AM

I still find myself astonished sometimes by the fact that The Shining/It were legitimately released as horrors and not "mildly creepy thrillers(?)/only 10 year olds will find this scary" movies. Even Anabelle: The Snoozefest was scarier than these movies. Hell, Dunkirk was scarier.

I, personally, find myself to be terrified by "The Shining". Not so much by "It", though. Seeing characters like Jack gradually losing their grip on reality and descent into madness is just plain scary.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

Stephen King adaptations tend to suffer when the budget needed to realistically portray what's in the book is less than the budget given to make the movie. Choice of directors and cast is also an issue. This is why The Shining, Carrie, and The Green Mile were great, and things like It and The Stand are so hokey. If a sufficient budget is ever given to make a true adaptation of something like Desolation, it could legitimately be horrifying.

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

While there is definitely no argument that The Shining is a very well made film with a great cast, for some reason it just never...got to me. I remember I was either laughing or being "???" when I watched it during one movie night in college. It didn't scare me the least, and when I came out of the hall, I felt like I just wasted approx 3 hrs of my life. In reviews and stuff it's always described as one of the best horror movies ever, but to me it felt more like a slow-paced psychological thriller with a few mindfuck scenarios. I felt like I got cheated. Thus, it became one of the worst horrors I ever watched in my life.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Someone's not into psychological horror apparently.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Pfft I thought Amelia would be the final Homo/Erolive content this week:
https://youtu.be/yrY_IF5_YzU @3:40 and check their stream for the full MC date. Lamy x Botan are also streaming but I'm too tired rn.

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/83708629
Azur lane Kako x Furutaka
Incest? We don't use that tag on ships...do we? Retrofit and NSFW

Nights%20of%20azure%20avatar
joined May 28, 2016

Great now the SSL certificate has expired again. Why do the site owners keep forgetting to renew it? :(

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Lol, curse this fucking problem, it feels weird to visit check in on the forums and have none of those I give a shit for and most of those I don't give a shit for not getting posts for many hours.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Great now the SSL certificate has expired again. Why do the site owners keep forgetting to renew it? :(

Relax your briefs, it'll be taken care of soon enough and we can all get back to our sweet sweet free yuri. ;)

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

Is....is it safe yet?

F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

I can access Dynasty again! Yay!!!!

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Rejoice!

Screen%20shot%202022-10-24%20at%208.03.03%20pm
joined Apr 25, 2017

Good to know I wasn't alone. Thought I had something wrong with Chrome.

But now, the yuri is back!

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Good to know it was resolved while I was asleep
Imagine my delighted surprise when I woke up this morning.

last edited at Sep 21, 2020 6:52AM

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Holy sofa! I slept around 30 hours in the past 2 days LOL! I still feel tired so I'll probably sleep 4-6 more.

Ugh I'm going to miss so many TeeTee collabs. I can watch the archives as usual, I guess? but Im kinda hungry for yuri rn.

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/64388894
Hanayamata Naru x Yaya

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Rye posted:

Holy sofa! I slept around 30 hours in the past 2 days LOL! I still feel tired so I'll probably sleep 4-6 more.

Ugh I'm going to miss so many TeeTee collabs. I can watch the archives as usual, I guess? but Im kinda hungry for yuri rn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrysB_XCo7w
37:55

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

^ yep! OkaKoro is love love -Korone on twitter lol
Other highlights include Amelia's: "I can't miss my girlfriends wife's stream" and Ina smelling her hair in the 3-way collab.
And here I thought Kiara would give us the most yuri content from the EN side.

https://youtu.be/LWxK5ZzBEt0
Here's a clip of the AquaMarineShionOkayu collab.

It feels like they are all trying to one up each others gayness/degeneracy.

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/73575922
Aikatsu stars Yuzu x Lily

Nights%20of%20azure%20avatar
joined May 28, 2016

Some (likely) scammer tried to call mom and get her to install what I think was ransomware. Thankfully I was there otherwise she'd likely end up with malware and a stolen credit card...

To reply you must either login or sign up.