Forum › So, Do You Want To Go Out, Or? discussion

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

If there wasn't the oneshot, I'd be thinking that somehow, the author would aim for them to solve their problems and stay a couple. But unfortunately, we already know that they can write the reverse.

So, the flags raised increasingly spell the doom of this relationship.

But then, at this point, I'm not sure it would be a bad end if they break up and find another more suitable partner. Because, they started to go out just because finding a partner is difficult for lesbians and they just happened to chance upon the other. But it doesn't mean they make the best couple ever, as exemplified by the recurrent miscommunication between the two.

So, maybe moving on from this relationship full of thorns is what would be best for both of them.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Yes, we know the author can write a story in which Saeko and Miwa break up, because they've already written that story. We know the author can write a story about them being friends with benefits after they break up, because the author has written that story too.

But this series is not an expanded version of the one-shot--it's an entirely different story.

We know that because the one-shot was about them breaking up not because they "had problems," but because they realized they were never really all that into each other in the first place, and when Saeko found somebody else they realized that neither one of them particularly felt like they had any emotional investment in the relationship. Breaking up was no big deal--it was hardly any deal at all.

That's not this story.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

So the fact that two out of three stories they wrote about Miwa and Saeko end up with them breaking up isn't a pattern we can rely on to predict the outcome of the third?

I want them to solve whatever is keeping them from being together forever after, but I don't think it's that kind of story this author writes about these two.

We'll just have to see who is vindicated in the end.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

We know that because the one-shot was about them breaking up not because they "had problems," [...] Breaking up was no big deal--it was hardly any deal at all.

Yes, that. I'll admit I have a bias too, a bias towards seeing them work out their issues, but I do still think this story is not the same as what they wrote before, so it could have a different ending.

So the fact that two out of three stories they wrote about Miwa and Saeko end up with them breaking up isn't a pattern we can rely on to predict the outcome of the third?

Those two stories are continuations of each other, so it's more like one story. They break up and then they stay friends with benefits after that.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I have no idea—I’m not in the prognostication business. Maybe they’ll break up, maybe they won’t.

There have been series that were overtly retellings or expansions of earlier one-shots or doujins. There have also been series that were grounded in the characters and/or settings of previous works that were really different than those earlier works in some ways and similar in others.

I’m saying this is one of the latter.

Phone
joined Oct 7, 2017

Anyone else getting kinda weirded out by the fact that these characters seem to think that the fact that they've had previous relationships is something to be ashamed of and/or something to hide from their partners

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Reading a yuri story, but I actually wouldn't mind if Tsuruta ends up with Miwa. Getting sick of Saeko shits. At least Tsuruta seems like a nice guy. He always got Miwa's back and get her off a tight spot. The dude genuinely cares for Miwa.

If he really cared for Miwa, he wouldn't be trying to cosy up to her and make things awkward by pursuing a crush on somebody who isn't into him, because she is GAAAAAAY.

He is -horny- for Miwa. There's a difference. And he's honestly -not- very respectable about how he deals with it, as others have pointed out. (and that's already been addressed pretty well.)

Saeko is also horny for Miwa, but I mean there it's mutual and they're in a relationship and she clearly worries about Miwa's feelings and opinion of her. She is -waaaaay- more sincere than Tsuruta.

"Pathetic", he can't help it if he likes someone. If this was a girl having a crush on a girl she knew was straight you all would be in tears cheering her on.

And yeah, I gotta call BS on this crap. here. I have seen numerous series on this site where a straight girl was leading on a lesbian, and the community here was FRUSTRATED AS HELL with it.

Nobody likes reading a story about a person pining after somebody that explicitly isn't going to return their feelings. That's depressing as hell. They'll cry out with pleas to give the girl a girlfriend, for her to find somebody else, for her to realize the situation is toxic and move on/get over it, but it is VERY RARE that I see anybody going "i dunno you guys i think they could work it out y'never know"

last edited at Jul 18, 2020 2:44AM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Anyone else getting kinda weirded out by the fact that these characters seem to think that the fact that they've had previous relationships is something to be ashamed of and/or something to hide from their partners

No..body is doing that, though? Her mom is talking about whether to share the details or bring up previous relationships unasked, not denying that any existed. And Miwa doesn't actually have any to share. I mean, she had a crush in high school:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/so_do_you_want_to_go_out_or_ch01#11

But she never went out with anyone before Saeko. What she's wrestling with is whether she should mention her former crush. And given she's apparently going to a reunion that will have that person at it, and that the recent plotline has focused heavily on Saeko's worries about jealousy, that's probably a serious collision course for the plot.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I have no idea—I’m not in the prognostication business. Maybe they’ll break up, maybe they won’t.

There have been series that were overtly retellings or expansions of earlier one-shots or doujins. There have also been series that were grounded in the characters and/or settings of previous works that were really different than those earlier works in some ways and similar in others.

I’m saying this is one of the latter.

I think it's fair to say it could be one of the latter, which is what your first sentence up there suggests. But we don't know yet.

Honestly, I think it's fair to consider the one-shot when reading this manga, just like it's fair to consider any short work when reading or watching a longer-form retelling. The author knows full well that many people will be familiar with the one-shot and that that's going to color their perception of the serialized version. It's part of the metatext of the series, just like any modern retelling of, say, Superman, or Romeo and Juliet, will also carry with it the expectations associated with those stories.

The author gets to make their own decision about whether to fulfill or subvert those expectations, and thus far, they seem to be playing it close to the chest. If they wanted to explicitly disregard those expectations, they could have dramatically changed something about the background of the characters. (Making them childhood friends, or changing their personalities around somehow, or even just drastically changing their bandmates) But they chose not to do any of that. They're pretty much the same people, they met in pretty much the same way, they have pretty much the same traits and interests and friends,

That means the author WANTS you to be looking at the one shot and going "Hnnngh, maybe??"

What we don't know is what kind of story the author wants to tell. Do they just want to share a more detailed look at these characters? Do they want to change the outcome and surprise us? Or is there some other intent entirely? Maybe the series ends four months into their relationship, leaving the canonicity of the one-shot as debatable. Or maybe it will run up to that scene and then things go differently at that point, for a dramatic twist. Or maybe it happens the same way, and then surprise, that isn't the end of the story.

The one thing I really doubt is that the author will end it the way it ends in the one-shot. I'd be pretty surprised.

I think the way the author is framing the whole thing, seems angled at recontextualizing the scene in the one-shot, so when the series keeps going after the breakup, the audience is going to realize "Oh, wait, that's not the end of it?" and then the internet will resound with the echo of a thousand squees.

last edited at Jul 18, 2020 3:32AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^ I’ve made the point as clearly as I am able—a break-up ending in this story cannot be the same break-up ending as in the one-shot—they are different stories.

This cannot be “a more detailed” look at the one-shot characters, unless the one-shot characters are lying to each other and to themselves about the nature of their relationship and their (lack of) feelings for each other.

EDIT: In Western comics terms, either this is an extreme retcon contradicting the original story (along the lines of "it turns out that the villain in the story wasn't really a villain but an undercover hero because blah blah blah,") or an "alternate universe" story: same basic character conceptions, same setting, different storyline.

last edited at Jul 18, 2020 12:02PM

joined Aug 29, 2019

same basic character conceptions, same setting, different storyline.

This. I think this story is precisely this. Take the same characters, expand heavily on their background, give them a different emotional reaction to each other, tell the corresponding story.

I have no idea how they'll end up. If they don't change, talk things over and open up to each other, the relationship will fail. If they enter another relationship that has an emotional core and origin and don't act differently, that will fail as well.

I'm curious about Miwa's first crush. I mean, odds are that she's straight and in a relationship, so that'll be a rough landing. Might be the push Miwa needs to get her act together.

Mom's advice not to be open with your partner about your past and keep spicy things secret from your partner does indeed work for her and her husband. Because the core of their relationship is not love, it's not born from emotion. It's a contract, an arranged marriage they've made their peace with. Love is not at the core there. They aren't close the way Miwa and Saeko want to be, and they've decided that that's okay for them. I can't see Saeko and Miwa going that route, so they'll either break up or finally fess up and own their past "sins". I can't think of anything they could be hiding that would upset the other to a worrying degree.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/so_do_you_want_to_go_out_or_ch20#13

Panel 1: "I wonder if this is one of those times..." - No, ab-so-f*cking-lutely not.

Panel 3: "If I'm going to hurt her by asking too many questions, then I don't want to dig too deep." - She's already (emotionally) hurting herself by not talking about it with the one person that's closest to her. Those emotional wounds are festering within her, so, in keeping with the metaphor, you'll have to dig all the way to the rotten core of the issue and excise it before she can properly heal.

Also I feel bad for Tsuruta. He can't really just outright "stop having a crush" on Miwa, but his insistence is so cringey, and it's become kinda creepy at this point.

last edited at Jul 18, 2020 10:23AM

ThatEcchiLolicon
joined May 1, 2020

Imagine Saeko answered "THE BASSIC ONE"
and started playing Seinfeld theme with a Bass that is on sale when Miwa asked her what kind of Bass she should buy
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/so_do_you_want_to_go_out_or_ch03#1

last edited at Jul 19, 2020 1:31AM

Wesaweverything
joined Jul 21, 2016

People here are giving Tsuruta too much credit, guy is just horny and wants to fuck the hottest babe in school. He acts nice and caring to her because he wants her to give him a chance, Rika even says his personality does a 180 when it comes to Miwa so who knows how nice and caring he normally is. Also thats exactly how and why Saeko got together with Miwa so I dont understand why it would somehow be better with Tsuruta, we cant know he would be the perfect boyfriend because relationship problems happen after the relationship starts afterall.

Anyway, about Tsurutas flirting, usually thats how it goes and there's nothing wrong with it but... 1. Miwa is already dating(and he knows this) 2. Miwa is a lesbian(and he knows this). So yeah, he needs to get over this crush lol.

last edited at Jul 20, 2020 3:26PM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Also thats exactly how and why Saeko got together with Miwa so I dont understand why it would somehow be better with Tsuruta, we cant know he would be the perfect boyfriend because relationship problems happen after the relationship starts afterall.

The grass always looks greener on the other side. And I also feel like his nice guy thing is just an act. Already highlighted some examples in my post above, but he is just not any better than Saeko.

Anyway, about Tsurutas flirting, usually thats how it goes and there's nothing wrong with it but... 1. Miwa is already dating(and he knows this) 2. Miwa is a lesbian(and he knows this). So yeah, he needs to get over this crush lol.

I'd like to at least think he's not actively trying to flirt, more of he gets caught up in his idealistic daydream and starts wanting to be nice to Miwa at every opportunity because that's how he feels. Which doesn't change how he's bullheadedly overstepping the boundaries of just being a friend.

I'm glad the next chapter will hopefully force a direct resolution of this so that plot point can get wrapped up. Then there'll only be dramatic, dark histories each of our MCs have to deal with!

joined Jul 16, 2020

This. If it was a straight girl it's all cheered on, I know this is a yuri community, just feel bad for the guy. If Miwa was bi I'd totally root for him than Saeko. The girl lacks communication and got major issue she's not working out.

Also I'm not denying Miwa is a lesbian, just to answer one of the post below, I just said I wouldn't mind, if by chance Miwa turned out to be bi (which won't happen).

Just because that guy acts all 'nice' towards his crush (which, let's be honest, just a lot of people do to get into their pants) doesn't automatically mean he is actually a nice person and/or a suitable partner for Miwa. You don't know how he's like in private when not trying to kiss his crush' ass. Also, personally I don't like stories where lesbians try to turn a straight girl gay, tho to be really honest, I rarely see this when it comes to girls love (also often ends up with them getting heartbroken and distancing themselves) and there actually are people who don't like that trope either and lastly, usually in these stories a lot of the time the 'straight' girl actually plays along, let's them kiss them, lets them be touchy feely with them and/or sleeps with them, multiple times even which only tells me that they weren't as straight as they thought they were since in these cases they reciprocated in some way. Miwa however, doesn't, at all. And therefore, there is no indication that she's bi.

last edited at Jul 21, 2020 10:31AM

Aand_this_one_too_by_shiniez
joined Jan 19, 2013

I love how real this Yuri Manga Comic is, Sakao is explains without knowing she is DemiSexual on a big level.

joined Apr 29, 2019

Loved this resolution, Tsuruta is a good guy afterall

70c3f8ab-421d-4a3a-a7dd-10f3027d0f65
joined Mar 2, 2020

Why did the tl team had to make Tsuruta less creepy? Isn’t that part of his character? It just seems that they decided to make him likeable so I don’t understand :(

Also, people here make it seem like he would be the perfect boyfriend when it seems that he has never been in a relationship, and would idolize miwa instead of seeing her as an equal. Dunno, I don’t think pining makes you immediately a better option of a partner

last edited at Jul 23, 2020 11:22AM

Img_8812564559060
joined Oct 6, 2015

Good. Back off like a decent person. Now, let's continue the lesbian drama lol

joined Aug 29, 2019

Why did the tl team had to make Tsuruta less creepy? Isn’t that part of his character? It just seems that they decided to make him likeable so I don’t understand :(

Also, people here make it seem like he would be the perfect boyfriend when it seems that he has never been in a relationship, and would idolize miwa instead of seeing her as an equal. Dunno, I don’t think pining makes you immediately a better option of a partner

What's the TL team got to do with it? (somewhat genuine question, I can't read Japanese)
The entire chapter was about giving insight to Tsuruta's behaviour, why he couldn't help himself and ended up behaving creepy. Being creepy wasn't the core of his character, but a consequence of it: He's new to romance, a bumbling fool whose brain was being scrambled by a silly and childish, if persistent, crush. Now, it seems, he's finally been made painfully aware of just how ridiculous he's being, which is why he'll apparently do some damage control now.
He's not a "good guy". He's a "guy", warts and all.

I also think we've been reading very different threads because I don't see a general consensus that Tsuruta'd be a good match for anyone. Quite the opposite.

last edited at Jul 23, 2020 11:39AM

joined Jun 12, 2019

Man, I don't think I'm really enjoying this series. It's definitely well written, and it feels very real, but it's a bit too real for me. I guess I prefer to read yuri manga to escape the struggles and angst of real-life romance, but this manga puts them on full display. Again, it's really well written, but I just don't have fun reading it.

I feel like that sometimes. I like it but at this point I’m just waiting for them to break up or something and I hate it.. but also I can’t stop reading it

joined Jun 12, 2019

Idk how I feel about this chapter or the guy

whitenight2013
Tumblr_inline_o3faqeqbgs1s9j5kz_400
joined Mar 10, 2018

I expected them to just keep playing off Tsuruta as a joke. I'm surprised and impressed they actually decided to have him work things out

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

Tsuruta's experience looks like a Lesbian disaster love-from-afar affair.

Fb_img_1596724226396
joined May 14, 2017

I feel you Tsuruta
I know what you feel when you love someone you can't have

To reply you must either login or sign up.