Forum › Re: Karen discussion

1523068069413s
joined Jun 2, 2017

I dont know who are they, but probably they will die soon

last edited at Apr 20, 2019 11:28PM

joined May 14, 2016

This is from the mobile game Magia Record https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magia_Record
Even though it is named madoka side story, the protagonists are others, the main story focus on other subject, and there are many new characters (yeah, since it a mobile game). So, I think we should make a new tag for this.

This
joined Jan 17, 2017

Still hoping for a Eng release of Magia Record

joined Apr 1, 2017

An English release was announced yesterday. Its coming out in the summer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4LR4Lj6HZM

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

Finally! I've been waiting for this

Renegadedynamo
Capture2
joined Sep 27, 2018

First: no one actually dies in this game except the ones who were already dead story wise, so you can rest easy.

What are the stakes to the story if every single character has plot armor?

last edited at Apr 21, 2019 11:03AM

This
joined Jan 17, 2017

I love you

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

pg 11, "those feeling" -> "those feelings"
pg 15, "these feeling" -> "these feelings" or "this feeling"
pg 22, "people hearts" -> "people's hearts"

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

The interesting part about Madoka Magica spinoffs is that, now that you know they will look a way to make it as tragic as possible, it instead ends up being hilarious. The storywriters spend so much time thinking of ways to make all the girls in the cast miserable, that the plot ends up developing as a parody of itself, impossible to take seriously anymore.
It's kind of like the puzzle bosses in a videogame, who are pretty neat when you first beat them in a blind run; but on a replay, once you know their gimmic, become trivial and annoying. yet still mandatory to go through them to beat the game. In the same way, the shock value of the original series has already wore off, but the franchise still tries to milk it for all that's left.

last edited at Apr 21, 2019 11:28PM

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

Hello. Just thought I'd sign up to drop this here: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Characters/MagiaRecordPuellaMagiMadokaMagicaSideStory
There are spoilers all over the place though, so tread carefully.

last edited at Apr 22, 2019 5:30AM

joined May 29, 2019

I don't like what Magia Record stands for but RikaRen are beautiful destiny and did absolutely nothing wrong.

joined May 29, 2019

Also it took me until just now to realize that the title was a pun on RikaRen

Shamimomo%20hug
joined Jan 23, 2016

I'm so glad there's at least one doujin for these two on here~

joined May 29, 2019

There's a lewd one somewhere but its currently untranslated. And there's another one but it's futa-on-futa because we can't have nice things.

At least I managed to roll Ren and Rika in EN Magireco

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I've been living ignorantly for almost 6 months now. That is now fixed.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Only now have I realized the title to this angsty work is supposed to be a pun. Now I can't stop laughing.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I figured out the title was a ship name pun, but it still didn't make any sense to me. Karen doesn't mean anything in this series, so seems random.

Some details I liked. I've been looking through the wiki's page on Ren, so immediately obvious the first panel was from the memoria "Awake, but the Dream Continues". Another memoria reference on page 18 to "This is the Fragrance of Love". The plot also mirrors how the "The Diary I Wrote With You" event went, like Rika searching out Ren to make up with her and Rika calling Ren while they're only separated by a door. Main difference is that this time Rika bursts inside, which is a nice inversion of what happens during the event. This author did their research and/or are a big RikaRen fan which I appreciate a lot! Because of the use of canon content, it has a strong alternate universe feel to it.

Which leads me to my next thoughts, namely that I did like the story a lot, it's heart-wrenching, but I'm torn on whether I can see this as being in-character for them. Rika's thought process is very canon; this is exactly how she thought after she first made her wish. But I wonder if she would really be this cruel to Ren. She did decide to take things into her own hands with her childhood friend, by breaking things off, for that girl's supposed best interests, so makes sense she could do the same with Ren. I think I like to see her as a kinder person than that though. Would like to think that she's grown since she made her wish, since her time with Ren.

Either way, this Rika seems like a valid possibility too, and it was a lovingly made story, so I can only give props to the author.

Misc. appreciations: Rika thinking that Ren had the capacity to commit suicide, so of course she could be decisive; the dedication to drawing Hinano's sleeves and even paying enough attention to detail to show them bunched up when her hands are exposed (pg 21); uniform attention to detail; and finally, what magical girl story wouldn't be complete with a hearty reminder to believe in miracles.

last edited at May 6, 2020 9:28PM

joined May 29, 2019

Which leads me to my next thoughts, namely that I did like the story a lot, it's heart-wrenching, but I'm torn on whether I can see this as being in-character for them. Rika's thought process is very canon; this is exactly how she thought after she first made her wish. But I wonder if she would really be this cruel to Ren. She did decide to take things into her own hands with her childhood friend, by breaking things off, for that girl's supposed best interests, so makes sense she could do the same with Ren. I think I like to see her as a kinder person than that though. Would like to think that she's grown since she made her wish, since her time with Ren.

I think the focus is more on Rika's own insecurity and self-loathing; she doesn't believe that someone could actually fall in love with her, and she's afraid of hurting Ren like she did her ex-girlfriend. So in her mind, even though its cruel to reject Ren's feelings, it would be crueler still to force Ren into a relationship with her through magic, so it's better if she breaks things off now and lets Ren hate her so that she can be free to fall in "true" love. Later story events have shown that Rika still kinda hates herself over her wish and she's never really gotten over it, though she's very good at hiding it.

Thankfully Hinano helped smack some sense into her dumb kouhai. RikaRen are beautiful destiny.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Later story events have shown that Rika still kinda hates herself over her wish and she's never really gotten over it, though she's very good at hiding it.

You might not see this a month later, but could I know what story events those are? The name of the event or chapter number without spoilers would be appreciated.

Reimu-pet-cirno
joined May 17, 2013

Presumably they mean chapter 8, Mitama 5. It isn't anywhere near that negative in my reading, though.

joined May 29, 2019

@riverFlowe, like Polycell stated, its in Chapter 8 in one of the last Mitama sections I believe. Its actually a very nice scene where Rika and Ren's relationship comes full circle.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Then that's not Rika still not being over it and hiding it. That's Rika learning that wish that she pretty much regretted and gave back costed her more than she thought and breaking because now not only she has to be a magical girl, but also she'll inevitably turn into a witch. While it's not like she liked it, overall fighting witches wasn't that bad, cos she met new friends because of it as well as her new love, but now it turned out she sacrificed her soul for pretty much nothing in return. Rather than not being over her wish, it was her losing her will to live this time and Ren comforting her, which was a nice role reversal and callback to Ren's episode story.

last edited at Jun 15, 2020 2:51AM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

If it's that scene, then that's actually the scene that made me think Rika wouldn't reject Ren so unerringly. I even read it before I knew anything about Rika and Ren, and the feeling it gave me was that they trusted each other and Rika would believe in her wish having a purpose because of Ren.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Yes.they even say so there, that because of that wish they found each other. That's pretty much canon.

last edited at Jun 15, 2020 7:35PM

joined Oct 25, 2010

A beautiful couple and a wonderful sweet story just for them! Ren loves Rika very much!

last edited at Jun 13, 2022 8:53PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.