Forum › It's a Detached Relationship. discussion

joined Mar 8, 2019

Everyone has their own struggles and sometimes things they can't get over. From kids to elders. Does that mean they're all on the same level and bare the same responsibility?

Of course they don’t but quantifying level of responsibility isn’t always so cut and dry. Sometimes there’s a whole lot of gray area to consider.

In the manga, Aya’s choices also make her responsible. She accepted despite knowing the risks and the probability that this will not end well between them.

And Sei of course carries weight as well. But there are questions stopping me from properly weighing the imbalance.

Has Sei entered into a previous arrangement like this with someone else? Has she purposely targeted another high school girl? Is she a serial predator or a woman who has just reached her wits end and is desperate for relief?

It’s the repetition of the wrongdoings that can tilt the balance of responsibility in this case.

Some people carry trauma that can never be healed but that does not excuse them to continually act selfishly and cruelly towards others.

last edited at Apr 26, 2020 5:42PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Everyone has their own struggles and sometimes things they can't get over. From kids to elders. Does that mean they're all on the same level and bare the same responsibility?

Of course they don’t but quantifying level of responsibility isn’t always so cut and dry.

Why, in fact, absent specific evidence from the text, does "quantifying responsibility" matter at all?

It's theoretically possible that we will learn that Sei is in fact a serial predator of students. But we have no concrete evidence that she is. (She may have hit on or been involved with a student before, but we have only the slightest of rumors to indicate that).

It's theoretically possible that Aya has undergone some earlier trauma that renders her less capable of making rational decisions than appears to be the case at present. But right now we have no reason to believe that.

So what are the intellectual or interpretive implications of deciding the precise percentages of "responsibility" for each character at this point?

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Responsibility comes with age, I don't mean it based on the possible outcomes here. It is about what we already know.
Your brain keeps developing until you reach 25. For example, even 21 and 24 makes a difference in the ability of how someone handles a situation.
It is not random that people get to (usually) vote at 18. The brain changes and reaches a certain level of maturity it doesn't previously have. It is based on facts.

Aya chose to mess with Sei too, but that doesn't mean they're equally responsible. People's behavior at 16 changes a lot compared to 24, despite Sei's inability to move on. That inability doesn't mean they're on the same level.
And as we can already see, it's Sei who has the upper hand between them. She is able to mess both with Aya and Haruki.

joined Mar 8, 2019

Why, in fact, absent specific evidence from the text, does "quantifying responsibility" matter at all?

It's theoretically possible that we will learn that Sei is in fact a serial predator of students. But we have no concrete evidence that she is. (She may have hit on or been involved with a student before, but we have only the slightest of rumors to indicate that).

It's theoretically possible that Aya has undergone some earlier trauma that renders her less capable of making rational decisions than appears to be the case at present. But right now we have no reason to believe that.

So what are the intellectual or interpretive implications of deciding the precise percentages of "responsibility" for each character at this point?

Are you asking because you’re annoyed and find the topic pointless or are you curious?

I’m focused on character development. Determining accountability helps me place blame so I can decide whether or not Sei is a redeemable character.

Is she a misguided victim of her past or has she evolved into a manipulative seductress preying on innocents to amuse her self?

It doesn’t matter at all to the over all story but I find it entertaining to talk about these kinds of things.

last edited at Apr 26, 2020 6:41PM

joined Mar 8, 2019

Aya chose to mess with Sei too, but that doesn't mean they're equally responsible. People's behavior at 16 changes a lot compared to 24, despite Sei's inability to move on. That inability doesn't mean they're on the same level.
And as we can already see, it's Sei who has the upper hand between them. She is able to mess both with Aya and Haruki.

And I agree she def has majority responsibility. I just want to know messed up Sei is and whether or not she can still be redeemed.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Are you asking because you’re annoyed and find the topic pointless or are you curious?

I’m focused on character development. Determining accountability helps me place blame so I can decide whether or not Sei is a redeemable character.

Is she a misguided victim of her past or has she evolved into a manipulative seductress preying on innocents to amuse her self?

No, I’m not annoyed—it’s just clear that answers to those questions at this point are pure speculation pending further evidence from the text itself.

So how does parsing out “responsibility” on the limited information we have now shed light on future developments in the story?

joined Mar 8, 2019

No, I’m not annoyed—it’s just clear that answers to those questions at this point are pure speculation pending further evidence from the text itself.

The bold caps threw me off.

I know it’s all speculative but that’s my jam.

So how does parsing out “responsibility” on the limited information we have now shed light on future developments in the story?

I don’t play the blame game to predict the story. I do it to keep me from bestowing judgment on a character until I’ve gathered all the data.

I try to see if I can predict the outcome based on the information that’s given.

F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

Responsibility comes with age, I don't mean it based on the possible outcomes here. It is about what we already know.
Your brain keeps developing until you reach 25. For example, even 21 and 24 makes a difference in the ability of how someone handles a situation.

Wow, I was always under the impression that the brain never stops developing. Now, I’m kind of anxious about eventually turning 25 one day.

joined Feb 23, 2016

I want Sei and Aya to be together God dammit.. i hope that she realizes that she started to think about Aya more ~

afkeroge Uploader
Nanayuu
Noca Scans
joined May 29, 2015

I want Sei and Aya to be together God dammit.. i hope that she realizes that she started to think about Aya more ~

Well :) Spoiler

Chapter: removed

Sei already misses Aya and is attached to her

If you're gonna link our translation, at least link to a site that doesn't steal uploads from Mangadex. It's shit like this that make me lose motivation. I only approve my translations to be uploaded to MD and Dynasty. I don't endorse any others.

last edited at Apr 27, 2020 2:54AM

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Edit: Uh I guess I might as well leave a proper link to find chapter 11: https://mangadex.org/title/42746/warikitta-kankei-desukara
That imagined scene of Aya at home waiting was so comforting to me, after how stiff and awkward Sei's talk with Yoru was. I'd definitely prefer to leave and go home to Aya instead too
Probably unpopular opinion: Seeing dysfunctional characters making nice gesture, aka Sei behaving like a normal person and doing nice things for Aya is gap moe.

last edited at Apr 27, 2020 2:05AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

That imagined scene of Aya at home waiting was so comforting to me, after how stiff and awkward Sei's talk with Yoru was. I'd definitely prefer to leave and go home to Aya instead too

Yeah but no, the problem is she don't solve anything with Yoru at all. She speak 5 minutes and chicken out. Say what you want about wanting to see Aya but that mean she is still not over Yoru because she can't even face her properly and 2 but that's my opinion, that she doesn't seem to understand Aya's view of the relation. I don't think Aya will be satisfie until the substitue play is dropped.

joined Sep 21, 2014

Yeah but no, the problem is she don't solve anything with Yoru at all. She speak 5 minutes and chicken out. Say what you want about wanting to see Aya but that mean she is still not over Yoru because she can't even face her properly and 2 but that's my opinion, that she doesn't seem to understand Aya's view of the relation. I don't think Aya will be satisfie until the substitue play is dropped.

Wait what does that have to do with anything I've said lmao
Sure but I never said any of that. Literally 0 commentary on their issues. Never said she was getting over Yoru, never said Sei understands what Aya truly wants from her. I just felt relieved to see her get away from such an uncomfortable interaction with Yoru. I didn't say that Sei wanting to see Aya was comforting to me, I said that the scene she imagined was comforting to me.
I'm not sure why you replied to me, I don't think that really has anything to do with what I said.

last edited at Apr 27, 2020 9:16AM

joined Mar 30, 2016

Am I the only one that enjoys messed up characters? Seeing how the character develops or reacts to situations is interesting to me lol.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I'd definitely prefer to leave and go home to Aya instead too

This, i know it's better for her but that's not how she gonna move their relation forward, dodging the Yoru's issue while only make it worse. She had to confront Yoru and get past it, as unconfortable as it is.Going with Aya will even be better, not only to reinforce her relation with Aya but also to prove Yoru that she wasn't just playing around.

last edited at Apr 27, 2020 10:04AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Am I the only one that enjoys messed up characters? Seeing how the character develops or reacts to situations is interesting to me lol.

Depends on how exactly they’re messed up and even more on what the author does with them, but yeah. That’s pretty much what “fiction” is.

joined Mar 30, 2016

Depends on how exactly they’re messed up and even more on what the author does with them, but yeah. That’s pretty much what “fiction” is.

I feel like when a character is messed up it’s harder to predict what they will do. I like the unpredictability from them. I agree with you though it takes a good author to actually write them.

joined Sep 21, 2014

I'd definitely prefer to leave and go home to Aya instead too

This, i know it's better for her but that's not how she gonna move their relation forward, dodging the Yoru's issue while only make it worse. She had to confront Yoru and get past it, as unconfortable as it is.Going with Aya will even be better, not only to reinforce her relation with Aya but also to prove Yoru that she wasn't just playing around.

I didn't mean it like that either, didn't say that it's better for her or not, or how what she does is gonna affect her as a person or their relationship, literally just stated that I couldn't deal with the tension and that I wanted to go home to a cute girl too
Does the fact that I find Aya cute prevent Sei from dealing with her inner demons somehow?

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

That's how i understand it personally.

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

It's why I'm here sips tea

810e327b-6cf7-4fe3-9815-7ba76536278f
joined Jun 22, 2019

Their toxic relationship must be making me a sick person because I ship Aya and Sei :O I want them to progress for some reason in a positive light. Is it just me? God don’t let it just be me. My Yuri Heart can’t take the toxicity but I digress.

I FEEL THE SAME!!

This looks like the end of first ARC & what happens next could change the series(hopefully) it's hard to say, but Sei was going through a self-destruction path, but now that she (hopefully for good) left Yoru behind, what's next ? it would be way too easy & kind of lame if she just say "Aya, I realize I really love you now... so let's be lovers for real!" it's not that easy in books or in real life.

I've seen the raw's chapter 12 from the looks of it Haruki seems to have redeemed herself & coming to terms with idea of Aya & Sei being a couple (as soon as they get over the drama they're having with themselves)

However there's one very probable source of upcoming drama & that's Mochida (the gyaru from the girls' school & has the hots for that math teacher guy). She knows Sei's secret, has had more than a passing interaction with Aya, & met Haruki. There's no way she isn't start going to some trouble just to get what she wants.

last edited at Apr 27, 2020 1:44PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

that's Mochida[...]There's no way she isn't start going to some trouble just to get what she wants.

Remember me why again ? Because as far as i remember, she know that the math teacher she has view on prefer Sei but it's not like Mochida didn't about Sei's relationship or Sei being a lesbian so why didn't she tell the teacher about it ? It's a serious question in case of.

last edited at Apr 27, 2020 2:20PM

Remember me why again ? Because as far as i remember, she know that the math teacher she has view on prefer Sei but it's not like Mochida didn't about Sei's relationship or Sei being a lesbian so why didn't she tell the teacher about it ? It's a serious question in case of.

The odds of him believing what she says is very low, cause he might think that it's just nonsense that she made up or she's lying.
For someone of her type it will be more fun to ruin the person's reputation by spreading around school in the process having the person getting fired & lose their job.

joined Mar 8, 2019

The odds of him believing what she says is very low, cause he might think that it's just nonsense that she made up or she's lying.

Agree that could be one of the reasons.

For someone of her type it will be more fun to ruin the person's reputation by spreading around school in the process having the person getting fired & lose their job.

I don't know if she's doing it because it's more fun. For her it's the only way to achieve her goal, which necessarily isn't to get Sei fired, but to have Math teacher.

Mochida can't tell him without proof so she's gathering evidence so he'll believe and stay away from her himself, which in her mind means he chose her.

Mochida's convinced that despite Sei being a lesbian, Sei is still using her charms to distract Math teacher and because of that, she can't ask Sei to stay away from him. She'd rather believe Sei is leading him on than face the fact that Math teacher simply isn't interested in her. She probably sees her self as the heroine trying to save her love from the clutches of the gross evil lesbian user...

Her amusement and Sei's firing are just byproducts.

To reply you must either login or sign up.