Forum › Even Though I Was Ready.. It Hurts discussion

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

I didn't get that kind of impression from the father when I saw the anime. I mean, see how maki talk about him using "papa" and how he let her believe in santa.
Personally I would have thought he is an affectionate father x)

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

I wonder why all the characters in anime and manga are always basically slaves to their parents. Do those authors even know how teenagers can react?

Different teens react erm.... dis-similarly. It can be generalized but ya know... different backgrounds and all that shit...

Of course but...when was the last time you saw an anime character actually stand up against her parents? It is extremely rare. Why? Easy drama.

To be fair, if you take anime and mangas as an example of the "typical japanese family", you end up with that :
-it's common for the childs to live by themselves, with never seeing or getting news from their parents.
-Said parents, if not absent, usually let their kids do as they please, without interfering much with their lives.
-Many parents will eagerly encourage their kids (mostly their sons) to have sex with some girl, or at least be perfectly fine with it.

And I'll stop there because I could keep going for a while. XD

No, seriously, families in manga & anime are rarely depicted in an accurate way, because many of them have teenagers as protagonist and having meddling parents in a non-comical way would get in the way of the story.

I mean, just imagine that in your typical anime : "Mom, dad, I need to go save the world !" "Did you do your homework ?" "But moooom, the world is in danger !" "yeah, yeah, you used that one last time already. Go back to your room and you better finish them properly this time !" worldsplosion!

That is why it is pointless to add real life comparison ;)

It is obvious why parents are often absent in manga. It would over complicate things. Nobody would want to read 10 chapters about the son discussing the things with his parents...

2015-01-21%2018.42.01
joined May 17, 2014

Anyone else feel like a MakixNico tag is missing?

Nosebleed Uploader
Nonorisa
Helvetica Scans
joined Sep 11, 2014

If you want some context on this story, I'm pretty sure this is set in the novels when Maki was being pressured by her family (mostly her father) to leave her current school (and u's) to go join a different school and follow after her father's footsteps to become a successful doctor.

This is canon content, it happens in the novels, this doujin is merely a different representation of the same situation (with some more violence added into it which obviously doesn't happen in the novels). Vice's stories seem to take a more dramatic prespective to the whole situation they're set in (There is another one with Rin I plan on translating that kind of goes the same way this one did). I know some of you might think it's a little excessive (though I personally don't think 1 slap equals such child abuse as some of you state) but I think it added a harsher tone to the story which is not a bad thing in my eyes.

Now as the person who translated it, I can assure you at no point in the manga there is any statement regarding the context it happens in nor what is going to happen in the future, so this is just my own rambling about it, but if you want to hear my personal take, I'm pretty sure Maki's father is planning to take her to a medical school, probably in another country, and he's also likely being transfered to a hospital there.
Hence why when Maki stays he tells her mom to "take care of her" while he's gone.

last edited at Sep 25, 2014 10:42AM

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Well, I feel that more than the slap in itself, it's the context in which it happens that rubs people the wrong way. I mean, Maki just get back home and get slapped across the face before she actually finished saying she's home and just because she enjoys dancing and singing with her friends.

I do think that some characters in anime and manga deserves some slapping, but there, it does set up the father as rather violent/abusing and it's understandable that people would take it this way. Still, taking it as an accurate depiction of a typical japanese family would be pushing too far, in my opinion. ^^

Anyone else feel like a MakixNico tag is missing?
Well, to me it's kind of like NanohaxFate or HomuraxMadoka : Of course it is, so putting a tag would be redundant. XD
Half-kidding. At least, it helps finding them quickly. But I guess it's too heavy on the drama and too light on the nicoxmaki, so this part got kind of lost in the slapfest.

Makiko
joined May 1, 2014

Ugh... At first I thought of what's happening to the cureent releases of LL djs... Especially when I began reading this... I was like "what the f*ck are you all hitting Maki-chan?!"... And yeah, although kinda obvious what the other members will do, still a bit off my chart in seeing one of my favorite characters being hurt and all... But still, it was a good(?) read, I guess?

Since it was become a topic here already about family stuffs... Now I'm a bit curious as to how does really the typical Japanese family behave... Uhn, animes/mangas portrayal are way off chart as to various things (especially to non-human humongous boobs, ass, etc.)...

joined May 24, 2014
Dd
joined Sep 22, 2013

I have no words. I liked it, yes! It wasn't the usual doujinshi... maybe because it's a drama. I think that if the anime were been a seinen, it would had some scenes like these. The art is something beautiful and Nico's face expressions are amazing. Added to my favourites ~

joined Feb 11, 2014

You also forgot: different culture, different (expected) family dynamics.

A cheap excuse. Japan is a bit different but it is not as cliche as in anime/manga.

And where in there did I say that it was excusable? Explaining why some people act in a distasteful manner is not the same as justifying or excusing it.

The fact is East Asian cultural values in general and Japanese cultural values in specific DO have different expectations for what some relationships, like family's, are like. Whether those expectations are moral or even reasonable is a different discussion.

last edited at Sep 25, 2014 7:06PM

10698506_356095501219916_3104907167461467085_n
joined Sep 21, 2013

This father reminds me of yuzuki's father a bit ( from kimi no iru matching)
And ya this was totolly unexpectited in love live doujins for me I never would of expected one like this I like it the ending :-)

( and yes this title makes you mind go into the gutty fairly easily too glade I ain't the only pervert who thought that swell :p )

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

So a Maki x Niko tag was added and I gave it a shot...meh still didn't like it I don't it was well written plus love live! is too sugary/cute to have this plot, is like putting k-on! chars in a mafia setting it's weird.

last edited at Sep 26, 2014 12:09AM

Images
joined Apr 4, 2012

A cheap excuse. Japan is a bit different but it is not as cliche as in anime/manga.

obviously you have no idea what asian families in asia are like including japan.

and this is why i live in the UK now away from my family.
I love japan and all but despise the acceptable "traditional" family values

yea i was raised in a really strict asian family. now my personality is all twisted.

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

Damn onion-ninjas... the ending was so full of warm-fuzzies.

joined Sep 19, 2014

Awww I had tears in my eyes at the end. What a great friends! That must be nice to have friends who can stand up for you

On another note, that title made me crack up.

I'm too perverted.

AHAHAH! I never thought about it like that! Can't get it out of my mind now T-T

joined Jan 11, 2014

The ending really pissed me off. Because Maki's parents.

Sdf%20(2)
joined Nov 16, 2013

Wow, really good facial expressions in this one. Very detailed.

joined Aug 11, 2014

and suddenly all that child abuse doesn't matter because the dad is cool with it

ugh...

You just HAD to be that guy...

Would've been me too pointing that out :p

And honestly, don't need to over-boost drama to such extent to provide a story like this.

To be fair all we saw was a bad slap. Calling it "all that child abuse" is a bit overboard. Not sufficient evidence to suggest as much since we got a glimpse into what could be the father's true wishes at the end (what the heck is with that comment: "you take good care of Maki, now"? Like is he leaving?).

But yes, I agree it was not as neatly trimmed and polished a story element as it should have been.

Given the degree of terror Maki regards her father with on several pages, and her deep-rooted sense of being a puppet with no place or purpose outside of what her father decides for her, I'd say that child abuse is a perfectly appropriate way to describe how she's been treated. Even if that was literally the only time he ever touched her, the effect he's had psychologically is a perfect picture of an abusive household, violence or no violence.

Casiee_hunter
joined Jul 8, 2014

I still don't get why someone would draw
Maki's dad like that???
It clearly shows how much Maki loves her dad in the anime and how much he loves her.
Maki's family is the most cutest thing that I have ever seen.
In season 2 Maki clearly calls her dad Papa which means Daddy (Or something like that)
and she still believes in Santa which tells us that he couldn't break his precious little daughters heart.
So he might have dressed as Santa all the time, Which is so cute.
So I really which someone could make a cute manga with her parents and not some violent one.

Sdfsd
joined May 21, 2013

That was hard to read.

joined May 2, 2014

i totally agree with that

obviously you have no idea what asian families in asia are like including japan.

its everywhere, and its not just asians. Its alot of parents from third world countries are. They just want their kids to be successful and have values. My parents are from middle east and strict ofc not child abuse lol , but everyone so far has turned out successful (doctors, lawyers).But, i wouldnt raise my kids to be this strict, its crazy.

last edited at Oct 2, 2014 5:41PM

Ushi-nooo
joined Aug 20, 2014

OH, THE DRAMAAA
That was intense. But I liked the ending.

On another note, that title made me crack up.

I'm too perverted.

So i was not alone :' ) ...Yay for perverts! (wait...)

Haha I feel you! I thought the same thing when I read the title. Then I realized that wasn't what this story was, and I felt a bit bad about myself XD but I'm not alone~

%e5%b0%8f%e8%88%94
joined May 22, 2013

Thought Muses killed Maki's father.

Ss%20(2015-04-13%20at%2009.21.14)
joined May 4, 2015

Domestic violence discarded like that for a happy ending? It's kinda cheap.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Domestic violence discarded like that for a happy ending? It's kinda cheap.

'Your just as clumsy as your daughter' SEE! He never intended to hit her, he just slipped. He's a good Dad really.

joined Jul 28, 2015

that slap... it's painful..

For ME. ;-;

To reply you must either login or sign up.