Forum › Mama Mama discussion

Toffee%20copy%202
joined Jan 2, 2014

well its possible that the she was on the process of divoricng her huband.....I CAN HOPE DAMN IT

palakangorange
Witch
joined Feb 24, 2013

Oh and their denial of Japan's many, many, MANY War Crimes.

That reminds of the case of "Comfort Women." Basically many women were abducted during Japanese war occupation, imprisoned to a "comfort station" where they were forced to "satisfy" the sexual "needs" of the Japanese soldiers. I used those wordings because I've personally attended a symposium about this, with the Lolas retelling their stories of horrible experiences during those times (Yes, they are grandmothers now and still no justice for them. The Japanese government has never officially apologized and reasoned that they were not the only country that did that, that it was a war necessity. My gawdness! See that?!)

joined Apr 26, 2014

I dont even know what to say .

joined Apr 26, 2014

I dont even know what to say .

Yuri_Is_My_Lyfe
X
joined Feb 8, 2014

Lol, well, that threw me and 143 other people for a twist. Eh, I still liked it.

joined Sep 3, 2013

The manga is a bit ironic in some way. Japanese scientists seem to be making the biggest strides towards methods of either same-sex reproduction or self-reproduction (as in, grow another you). And they really do need it, along with other eastern countries, because more and more people are choosing not to reproduce (busy with careers, love freedom, women don't want to end up slaves like their mothers, etc).

On the same coin, though, it does put life into perspective. We're always forcing more people into the world to take care of problems they had no hand in making,whether through natural birth or new scientific means. It's pretty sad.

Yuri_Is_My_Lyfe
X
joined Feb 8, 2014

The manga is a bit ironic in some way. Japanese scientists seem to be making the biggest strides towards methods of either same-sex reproduction or self-reproduction (as in, grow another you). And they really do need it, along with other eastern countries, because more and more people are choosing not to reproduce (busy with careers, love freedom, women don't want to end up slaves like their mothers, etc).

On the same coin, though, it does put life into perspective. We're always forcing more people into the world to take care of problems they had no hand in making,whether through natural birth or new scientific means. It's pretty sad.

Not to mention the fact that it's illegal for same sex couples to have children in Japan. And I thought the Eastern countries were even more over populated, so I don't see why it's needed.

Hinageshi_icon
joined Jul 20, 2013

Sigh. I makes you ask, "WHY couldn't this just be real!?" But that must've been the reaction Amano was going for. It's a beautiful picture of what could be...if the world were different.

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Good story, and I don't understand the whining. These two women have fallen in love and are making the best of their situation. It's not a perfect happiness, but happiness almost never is. The important thing is that they're together and sharing their lives as best they can.

The issue I take is one way or another they are cheating on their spouses, whether love is a factor in those relationships or not. It is true they are in love and making the most of the situation...but they continue to lead on their husbands and their kids and that in itself is not in any way okay.

Which in of itself is perhaps the point Amano was going for...as a sort of criticism of the concept of "marriage". Which I like and I think developing this point further deserves some attention and thought.

last edited at Aug 26, 2014 12:21PM

Blazing CobaltX
Aaaaaaaaaaaa2
joined May 16, 2012

Well that fucked me up.

Tumblr_mqsgcvuolq1s1l3cpo1_500
joined Jul 12, 2012

I wish it was a little longer....like where are BOTH of their husbands? Probably having gay sex with each other like the two wives LOL.

I actually really do wish that's the case. That way the straight relationship is a false, but I didn't see that with that one lady crying saying if that was of happiness. Meaning that they do have husbands but the relationship is just mutual and nothing special. They haven't said anything about the cheating situation due to the kids and them being house wives, which means that depend on their working husbands to bring food on the table.
Its sad to to see that they actually love each other, but they can't do anything about it...

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

I don't understand the complains and "oh my feelings" reactions. This is a pretty happy story about two women that found love despite the obstacles life throwed at them, hell, they even managed to turn a false marriage into a family for them (and just them). Unrealistic? yes, but if wanted realism I'd read the paper.

If anything, the husbands are whoever need some pity since their marriage is a lie (unless they're also gay or something I guess)

1599531_403762246435445_1409813519_o
joined Mar 14, 2014

Whoa mind blown

Ba6830e9-5391-43ab-838d-9b1794f709e7
joined Jul 8, 2013

The comments here are strange. People have universally decided that the two women are unhappy with their husbands. I got the impression they loved their children, they are happy, and the love they found with each other was added happiness. You are all presuming way too much about the part of their lives you aren't shown.

last edited at Sep 26, 2014 4:04PM

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

The comments here are strange. People have universally decided that the two women are unhappy with their husbands. I got the impression they loved their children, they are happy, and the love they found with each other was added happiness. You are all presuming way too much about the part of their lives you aren't shown.

The same could say about your interpretation though.

Commandershepard13
1071350_639308102760295_1399509523_o
joined Mar 24, 2014

Oh and their denial of Japan's many, many, MANY War Crimes.

That reminds of the case of "Comfort Women." Basically many women were abducted during Japanese war occupation, imprisoned to a "comfort station" where they were forced to "satisfy" the sexual "needs" of the Japanese soldiers. I used those wordings because I've personally attended a symposium about this, with the Lolas retelling their stories of horrible experiences during those times (Yes, they are grandmothers now and still no justice for them. The Japanese government has never officially apologized and reasoned that they were not the only country that did that, that it was a war necessity. My gawdness! See that?!)

Thats not even the half of it. Look up Unit 731. Lovely group those one.

joined Jul 8, 2013

The same could say about your interpretation though.

That's fine. But why, given that the only thing we see from them is that they are happy, do most people assume that they are dispairingly unhappy and practically human slaves to their husbands? So melodramatic.

It's a good thing one of them didn't have a bruise from bumping into a table or something; everyone would be absolutely certain that the husband came home and beat her to death each night. :P

last edited at Sep 27, 2014 7:01AM

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

That's fine. But why, given that the only thing we see from them is that they are happy, do most people assume that they are dispairingly unhappy and practically human slaves to their husbands? So melodramatic.

It's a good thing one of them didn't have a bruise from bumping into a table or something; everyone would be absolutely certain that the husband came home and beat her to death each night. :P

Simple, this is a reader specialized on the yuri genre therefore there's a bias towards het relationships. I'd guess that your interpretation is more accepted on other readers where yuri isn't the focus.

joined Nov 11, 2010

If the wives were perfectly happy in their lives with their husbands, one of them would not have been moved to tears while commenting "This is happiness, isn't it?" based on their mutual domestic intimacy. Not to mention the pervasive Japanese stereotype of sexless, emotionless marriages which is practically invoked automatically by any mention of the role/occupation, "housewife". You have to be truly clueless to not be able to see that this story is playing with the 'unsatisfying Japanese marriage' theme.

This isn't to say that saddling a seemingly wonderful, perfect picture of lesbian domestic bliss with that is particularly novel. Rather, the depiction of a fantasy of gay domestic happiness set in modern Japan was pretty hollow material in the first place. I don't particularly mean to make the case that the message of this piece was well-conceived or executed, but that's a different thing from not even grasping the message in the first place.

joined Jul 8, 2013

It doesn't require the rest of life to be unhappy for a moment of happiness to move someone to tears. It also doesn't require invoking a stereotype to see that the husbands are likely in some long-hour jobs that require traveling. You have to be truly clueless to not see that the facts you are taking for granted are merely the product of your own negative bias.

last edited at Sep 28, 2014 7:25AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

It doesn't require the rest of life to be unhappy for a moment of happiness to move someone to tears. It also doesn't require invoking a stereotype to see that the husbands are likely in some long-hour jobs that require traveling. You have to be truly clueless to not see that the facts you are taking for granted are merely the product of your own negative bias.

And you're in turn eliding the common story element (and indeed common perception in Japanese culture) that it's normal to have a marriage where the partners barely see each other or show affection, based on your own bias.

Hell, women being unhappy with that situation is one thing blamed for the famously low birth rate.

last edited at Sep 28, 2014 11:40AM

513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

...what's even going on in this thread?

I was told that since I was reading the afterword anyway, I might as well tell you all what is said, so:

It seems I wanted to draw housewives. Also, a flirtatious daily life. The one with white hair is a younger and somewhat of a gyaru, the one with tone hair is older and went to a nice school in the area. The husbands are probably nice in a normal way. During the summer they'll A futile situation is a futile situation, but personally I think it's a problematic relationship. If I were friends with those people, I wonder if I'd be able to say "You need to end this relationship"... I feel like I'd end up saying "You need to be careful...go on vacation and such. As two families!

A futile situation is a futile situation, but personally I think it's a problematic relationship. If I were friends with those people, I wonder if I'd be able to say "You need to end this relationship"... I feel like I'd end up saying "You need to be careful...

That was a quick translation; if you're lucky, NHFH will come out with something more thorough.

last edited at Mar 27, 2016 11:46AM

machigai kouhai Uploader
Wympw_yh
NHFH Scanlations
joined Sep 10, 2014

That was a quick translation; if you're lucky, NHFH will come out with something more thorough.

Unfortunately not any time soon, if ever. :(

E
joined Feb 8, 2014

I didn't see that coming :(

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

This reminds me of Wedding Bells Are Ringing in a way. I'll just assume it's a situation like that taken to a slightly more extreme point because I'm really not a big fan of cheating at all.

To reply you must either login or sign up.