Forum › 1 x ½ discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Akira practises the electroshock on ayako, we know very well that ayako will feel bad and will not feel the same thing as with her daughter... she will be able to compare the two kisses.
But by the way akira will have had a little bonus ^^

Another example (with Miyuki) of the “third-wheel character ships the MCs with performative lesbianism” trope: the (almost) kiss at the wedding got Ayako’s motor running, and now Akira’s getting her to put the car in gear.

By the way, I find “Hurry up and open your mouth, Asuka” line to be both funny and touching—a perfect example of Ayako’s off-kilter parenting style.

Akira a GOAT tbh

Greatest Of All Time?

Lmao well what other goat would they mean?

Mountain goat?

You've got me there..

joined May 4, 2013

By the way, I find “Hurry up and open your mouth, Asuka” line to be both funny and touching—a perfect example of Ayako’s off-kilter parenting style.

lmao, it's like how infants were mouthed by their mothers before the invention of baby food.

joined May 20, 2013

From an older post of mine:

The end of chapter 15 reminds me of 15Y+. (Coincidence with the numbers?) I really hope this prediction won't come true, either.

It ended up going in a similar direction... Things probably won't go that far in this series. Probably... If Ayako quickly recognizes the same difference that Asuka did in this chapter...

last edited at Mar 22, 2020 10:19AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

And there we go, after being unusually supportive the last time, Akira returns to her usual spot of threat number one. Might well be her way of showing Ayako the difference in her feelings, though, even if sneaking in some candy for herself. I guess we'll see the next time.

32104671_1715652908533240_2109611648586088448_n
joined Jul 30, 2015

Everyone loves Mom~

Screenshot_2018-10-31%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20fusoroi%20no%20renri%20ch13
joined Jul 1, 2014

Everyone loves Mom~

I mean, she is a natural beauty. I love Mom, too.

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

Akira is being the cupid, just wants to me ayako understand that kissing anyone doesn't feel the same that kissing the person you love

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

One must wonder if Asuka's Mom radar is still canon.

18e
joined Aug 16, 2017

good job

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I wrote this once before, but it didn't seem to post. Not sure this will be a popular take, but:

Until this point, I'd been pretty sure that Ayako was aware of Akira's feelings for her and was fencing them away, but she seems genuinely flat-footed here. From what we've been shown Akira's clearly been in love with Ayako for years. Akira picked up on that early, that's why she sees her as a rival/threat. I definitely feel like this is a last-ditch play to see if she has a shot, rather than just her "playing cupid".

I was a bit surprised by Akira's frankness and honesty on the incest issue. Regardless of where you actually fall on the issue itself, it would be pretty socially acceptable for her to play up the negative stigma around incest to push Ayako away from her rival, but even though it would definitely improve her chances, she doesn't do that. There's an actual principle there, and it's pretty admirable in that sense. It makes me like her even more than I already did, and kinda makes me sad that Akira x Ayako almost certainly is not the end point for this series.

I honestly ship them a lot more than the main couple. There's a troublesome power dynamic between Ayako and Asuka, even without the incest angle. Adult woman x small girl-child is seriously troublesome to begin with, the incest just makes it worse. There are legal and moral issues all over the place. We have statutory laws for a -reason-. It's at least somewhat better that Asuka is the aggressor, but that just makes it less bad, not okay..

Ayako and Akira could have a happy, healthy relationship and Asuka would get over her broken heart in time. But I'd be pretty surprised if this went that direction. But eh, I can enjoy a thing in fiction without being okay with it in real life.

Shithead
joined Oct 23, 2018

akira to ayako is just like what president is to asuka
also asuka in a ponytail was cute as fuck

joined Jul 26, 2016

Until this point, I'd been pretty sure that Ayako was aware of Akira's feelings for her and was fencing them away, but she seems genuinely flat-footed here.

Reckon that's more because she's (not unreasonably) currently entirely absorbed in her own worries and absolutely didn't expect Akira to spring that on her.

From what we've been shown Akira's clearly been in love with Ayako for years. Akira picked up on that early, that's why she sees her as a rival/threat. I definitely feel like this is a last-ditch play to see if she has a shot, rather than just her "playing cupid".

You mean Asuka in the second sentence, but anyway. Akira hasn't exactly kept her interest in Ayako a secret and the flirt-reject routine seems to be something of a long-running joke between the two of them. But recall, if you will, that Akira also studiously and consistently avoids making serious moves on her in-law due to as yet still unspecified feelings of guilt regarding Atsushi's death (whether that is plain old survivor's guilt or something more dramatic remains to be seen) which Ayako is aware of and, irrespective of her lack of reciprocal romantic interest, appears to consider quite unwarranted self-flagellation.

Which would be one more reason Akira's surprise power move catches her so off guard here, and a major reason why I think she's going for shock therapy rather than "last-ditch play" - there's been no sign that we've been shown of Akira suddenly ditching that emotional cross she's burdened herself with for the past one and half decades.

Fuuka%20small
joined Sep 9, 2017

I'm surprised that no one commented on Asuka having a habit of kissing sleeping Ayako on the lips since she was like... seven?

Bf8d3792-ce29-4734-b842-6f7d5e2364ed
joined Nov 22, 2019

Still waiting for that NSFW tag on MOM X Daughter action

joined Feb 14, 2019

I'm surprised that no one commented on Asuka having a habit of kissing sleeping Ayako on the lips since she was like... seven?

It's not really that remarkable, the boundaries between types of kisses are pretty arbitrary and culture specific... which kids largely ignore. Kissing on the lips is intimate but not that unusual between mother and young child... if she had still been breastfeeding at seven that might have raised some eyebrows (though it happens sometimes too, generally without incestuous subtext).

joined Feb 14, 2019

This trainwreck of a thread is a pretty solid counter argument to the "people can enjoy a bad thing in fiction without normalizing it in real life" argument. People will look at an extremely romanticized fictional portrayal of something and then turn around and act like it's at all representative of the reality of that situation. Also, good god stop comparing incest to LGBT relationships you absolute loons.

Others have defended the moral reasoning, but I think there is another thing that needs to be pointed out.

In general we haven't been comparing incest to LGBT activity directly, but have actually been comparing (irrational) prejudice against incest to (irrational) prejudice against LGBT behaviors - the prejudice is largely unfounded, so comparing it says very little about the comparison between the targeted behaviors.

There are common themes that can be found, but they are at the most fundamental level - about privacy and freedom of choice, and apply to a whole range of human interactions.

Finally with respect to normalisation, I can't speak for everyone, but I have a long standing interest in ethics, and a fondness for stories of forbidden love, secrets, unusual passions and love in unexpected places. I on the lookout for thoughtful, well written incest romance stories years before I ever found any (among other things, I'm not just interested in incest).

By looking at "best case" stories where incest isn't a problem, we can come to better understand what the real problems are with the bad cases... you may see incestuous sexual abuse, but surely the problem is incestuous sexual abuse.

Look at the BDSM community - you see discussions and deep understanding about consent there far beyond the norm - because they play on the edges, assumptions and generalisations aren't good enough - they have to deal with the reality.

1x1/2 is a rare jewel - not only does it take the issues seriously, it is well written with likable characters and a light self-deprecating humour that makes it a pleasure to read.

Img_4897
joined Oct 27, 2017

The reason I like 1x1/2 is because imo it doesn’t try to normalize the nature of a parent-child romance. The characters clearly know that this isn’t “normal”, and don’t really try and pretend that it is. But Asuka’s feelings can’t just change that easily, and Ayako is a good enough parent to treat the matter seriously and maturely, while also carrying her own personal baggage that she still has to sort out.

It’s incredibly engaging and I really want to see what the characters will do next.

Img_4897
joined Oct 27, 2017

The reason I like 1x1/2 is because imo it doesn’t try to normalize the nature of a parent-child romance. The characters clearly know that this isn’t “normal”, and don’t really try and pretend that it is. But Asuka’s feelings can’t just change that easily, and Ayako is a good enough parent to treat the matter seriously and maturely, while also carrying her own personal baggage that she still has to sort out.

It’s incredibly engaging and I really want to see what the characters will do next.

Dq96tyidseq-min%20(6)
joined Apr 29, 2019

Suddenly it seems to be coming to the end. welp

Anime-pictures.net_-_519241-700x1000-inuyasha-inuyasha%20(character)-inuyasha%20(human%20form)-sorolp-long%20hair-single
joined Mar 27, 2019

Asuka gonna find out about this kiss and try to get rid of Akira’s lips away by kissing her mom

Pfp
joined Aug 12, 2017

This manga is the best thing that's ongoing right now, change my mind

joined Mar 29, 2019

Hahahaha wtf I need more

joined Jun 25, 2017

Super quick translations!!! Thank you, thank you. ✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧

joined Jun 25, 2017

Also, am I the only one who has faith in Akira? And think she is kissing Ayako, so Ayako can realize she does like Asuka and it is romance. Like she's trying to prove a point? You see how Taiyaki never draws a blushing Ayako when Akira makes her move. Yet Ayako always always blushes with Asuka. Hopefully by the next chapter, Ayako knows for certain, that she too likes Asuka. Omg, can y'all imagine how cute it's going to be when they both acknowledge it?

( ◜‿◝ )♡

last edited at Mar 22, 2020 8:50PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.