Forum › A Kiss And A White Lily discussion

85af8296-a13b-494e-810e-ae41815d00fa
joined Jan 19, 2016

Wowwwwoww. I had put this off for such a long time because I wasn’t able to get into it when I first read it. But it was freaking amazing :o
Loved it ^

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

For those waiting, Canno is coming back this winter with a new series \o\ It will be in Dengeki Daioh this time (yes, the one that published YagaKimi).

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

For those waiting, Canno is coming back this winter with a new series \o\ It will be in Dengeki Daioh this time (yes, the one that published YagaKimi).

Nice.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Nice.

Here the tweet of Canno btw. Just for people to be warned, it will a love triangle yuri so if it's not your cup of tea you can avoid it.

joined Oct 22, 2018

Nice.

Here the tweet of Canno btw. Just for people to be warned, it will a love triangle yuri so if it's not your cup of tea you can avoid it.

Given the image... is this the smell of polyamory in the air? Guess we'll just wait and see...

last edited at Nov 1, 2019 11:32AM

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Well if it's anything like chapters 28-30 I'm not complaining.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

To translate the synopsis >

中学三年生の少女・真幸(まゆき)が、憧れの先輩・あきらと同じ学校に進学する為に、家庭教師の凛(りん)に勉強を教えてもらおうとするが、勉強以外のことも教わることになってしまう…といった感じのストーリーであるとの事。

Third year middle-schooler Mayuki wants to go to the same high school as her beloved senpai Akira, and hires a private tutor called Rin to that end, but she'll end up being taught more than just school stuff… It'll be a story in that vein.

I was kinda hoping for Canno to give us some purely adult yuri like some of her more recent doujins but, oh well. Old habits die hard I guess.

Well if it's anything like chapters 28-30 I'm not complaining.

Hopefully less rushed though.

last edited at Nov 1, 2019 1:02PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Third year middle-schooler Mayuki wants to go to the same high school as her beloved senpai Akira, and hires a private tutor called Rin to that end, but she'll end up being taught more than just school stuff… It'll be a story in that vein.

That sounds spicy. Now the question is how old that Rin is. Is she a high-schooler? A college student? I kinda doubt she is an adult lady, because then she wouldn't have been mentioned by first name or wear something that looks like a school uniform. If she was though that would be one of Canno's rare age gap stories.

last edited at Dec 19, 2019 2:23PM

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

I just finished my reread of this - it's definitely my favorite manga of all time (and also by far the best poly rep I've ever seen in manga). I'm bumping this thread to bring it to more people's attention possibly, and also just because I wanted to leave a comment.
(I don't think it's the "best" manga I've read, that's definitely Bloom Into You, but it's good enough, and it's by far my favorite)

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I just finished my reread of this - it's definitely my favorite manga of all time (and also by far the best poly rep I've ever seen in manga). I'm bumping this thread to bring it to more people's attention possibly, and also just because I wanted to leave a comment.
(I don't think it's the "best" manga I've read, that's definitely Bloom Into You, but it's good enough, and it's by far my favorite)

It's certainly unusual, and I would say highly successful, in its structure--there are lots of manga that are not unlike YagaKimi; it just does those things in a truly excellent way.

AnoKiss, though, tries something that I don't think I've ever seen in a limited-arc romance manga before--a central couple surrounded by a whole constellation of secondary relationships that take turns taking over the spotlight, so they aren't "sub-plots" but temporarily become main plots.

The whole thing is worth more than a single reading, for sure.

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

It's certainly unusual, and I would say highly successful, in its structure--there are lots of manga that are not unlike YagaKimi; it just does those things in a truly excellent way.

AnoKiss, though, tries something that I don't think I've ever seen in a limited-arc romance manga before--a central couple surrounded by a whole constellation of secondary relationships that take turns taking over the spotlight, so they aren't "sub-plots" but temporarily become main plots.

The whole thing is worth more than a single reading, for sure.

I think the way that Anokiss took all those separate relationships then thematically connected them back into the main relationship by having Shiramine talk to people about them to try and figure out her own is just... chef's kiss (though the fact that they didn't have Moe and Mizuki acknowledge they were more than friends is cowardice). I also would have liked to see like 1-2 more chapters of closure on Nagisa and Hikari (and an entire spinoff about Amane/Nina/Ryou, those 2-3 chapters are literally my favorite piece of any manga ever I'm so starved for cute polyamory - I still don't think it was rushed really, the things that needed to happen happened, concisely, but well done).

Also, I think Anokiss is more "normal" than Yagakimi, even though Yagakimi is a pretty standard story - the way emotions are explored through Yagakimi sets it apart from the norm more than the unusual nature of Anokiss's cornucopia of lesbians does. I think they're both interesting and wonderful separations from the standard, but I do think Yagakimi is more "different" from the standard recipe. It's ultimately a difference in presentation versus a difference in themes though. They're both so wonderful, I'd forgotten that Anokiss was like, actually good, as well as really really fun and enjoyable and wonderful. I had, in my head, reduced it to comfort food of a sort, not ultimately fulfilling or special or poignant just deeply satisfying and nice, but it is good, it really is deeper than I ever remember. It covers actual problems and weaknesses and emotions and just... god it's so good.

Sorry for suddenly ranting and losing all my coherence in this second paragraph I really love this manga and none of my friends read the same sorts of manga as me so I suddenly had the opening to express how I felt about it.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

and an entire spinoff about Amane/Nina/Ryou, those 2-3 chapters are literally my favorite piece of any manga ever I'm so starved for cute polyamory

I think you're the first one i saw who really liked the polyamory pair.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Sorry for suddenly ranting and losing all my coherence in this second paragraph I really love this manga and none of my friends read the same sorts of manga as me so I suddenly had the opening to express how I felt about it.

I’m glad you did. It’s a good thing to bring this to the attention of new readers who might otherwise have missed it.

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

and an entire spinoff about Amane/Nina/Ryou, those 2-3 chapters are literally my favorite piece of any manga ever I'm so starved for cute polyamory

I think you're the first one i saw who really liked the polyamory pair.

Idk why you wouldn't if you don't mind polyamory, there's nothing that out-there about that section. You have some legitimate concerns that people trying to figure themselves out in the world of polyamory go through all the time, myself included. But they talk things out explicitly and end up happy. I saw criticism for it in a few places on here, which is part of why that paragraph was rather defensive, but I really don't see why people are so down on it, I thought it was wonderful. Like yeah, there's a bit of stupid drama, but this is schoolgirl yuri so that's hardly specific to that.

joined Jul 26, 2016

the polyamory pair.

dat oxymoron tho

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

the polyamory pair.

dat oxymoron tho

3 = two pair.

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

the polyamory pair.

dat oxymoron tho

3 = two pair.

2 pair is 4 though. I'd argue if anything their relationship is 3 pairs - each of the permutations of the 3 of them.

joined Jul 26, 2016

the polyamory pair.

dat oxymoron tho

3 = two pair.

dat math

joined Oct 22, 2018

Great, now I have the urge to re-read this as well.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Oh hey, it got lively again all of a sudden. XD I wish I could read this series in physical volumes − that definitely enhanced my experience for YagaKimi, and I'm sure it would for this one too. Buuut instead we're getting fucking Netsuzou Trap in January. Yaaay?

Ayaka and Yurine's character arcs are really unappreciated in my opinion, it was definitely my favorite part of the experience (although they became a tad too dere-dere for my tastes at the very end). The way they learn about each other's insecurities and gradually start to support each other throughout the story is just so sweet.

That sounds spicy. Now the question is how old that Rin is. Is she a high-schooler? A college student? I kinda doubt she is an adult lady, because then she wouldn't have been mentioned by first name or wear something that looks like a school uniform. If she was though that would be one of Canno's rare age gap stories.

It wouldn't be that unusual for her. There's the Haine-Aika arc in AnoKiss (Haine's the 14 yo niece and Aika the 18 yo aunt), and of course that "Mushoku to JK" series in the Éclair anthologies − although in that case the love is rather one-sided.

By the way, Canno revealed on Twitter that her birthday is on Christmas! Her pal Kawauchi has her(?) birthday just 3 days earlier, on December 22. I already loved how the HKY girls seemed to be such good friends, but learning that even their birthdays are close kinda warms my heart. =)

Gotta translate that UNOs doujin when I have the time.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Buuut instead we're getting fucking Netsuzou Trap in January. Yaaay?

Thought it was suposs to be November.

I wish I could read this series in physical volumes

I mean, there is always the english version but yeah i wish we had more choices in french. Althought Octave just started getting published and Yoru To Umi is planned for 2020.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Thought it was suposs to be November.

January 30. And I'm not touching it with a 10ft pole.

Octave is really damn good though.

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

Um, I'm trying to download the series, and the download for chapter 4 seems to be broke. I'm getting a .rar file instead of a .zip file like all the other chapters, and it's called "[Vol.1] - 0004 - Secret of my Girl [English] by [MiamMiam-Team].rar" which is really not a chapter of this. Help?

Edit: Actually, I just realized Secret of the Girl is the name of the chapter - but still, it's a .rar file instead of a .zip, so I don't know what to do with it.

Edit2: Nevermind, I got it. the problem was my computer tried to open .rar files with my 3ds emulator instead of the unzipping application I have, everything's good now. Sorry for stupid questions!

last edited at Dec 23, 2019 9:57PM

Facepalm%20godzilla
joined Dec 15, 2016

The main problem here is not the manga's structure, but people not getting said structure. If you go in with the assumption it will follow the "main pair" as the central driving plot you just misunderstand the point. Shiramine and Kurosawa are the framing device that holds the narrative together, but ultimately it is a story that follows relationships at the academy.

I'd argue that not being able to follow the plot is not because I'm stupid but it's because the author didn't even try to make it clear. If for example there was a clear pattern like one chapter of a volume about the main couple and the rest of the chapters are about the other main couples or if the chapters about the other main couples would be side chapters like in comprehensive tovarish.
This doesn't read like one plot this story reads like a compilation of short stories with an excuse to link them together.
Also because of the huge focus on side characters the allegedly main couple didn't get enough development in my opinion.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

The main problem here is not the manga's structure, but people not getting said structure. If you go in with the assumption it will follow the "main pair" as the central driving plot you just misunderstand the point. Shiramine and Kurosawa are the framing device that holds the narrative together, but ultimately it is a story that follows relationships at the academy.

I'd argue that not being able to follow the plot is not because I'm stupid but it's because the author didn't even try to make it clear. If for example there was a clear pattern like one chapter of a volume about the main couple and the rest of the chapters are about the other main couples or if the chapters about the other main couples would be side chapters like in comprehensive tovarish.
This doesn't read like one plot this story reads like a compilation of short stories with an excuse to link them together.
Also because of the huge focus on side characters the allegedly main couple didn't get enough development in my opinion.

Oh my, never expected a response to that months later. Glad I wrote it then.

So first of all, it was not my intention to call anyone stupid. The structure is unusual and many people will inadvertently go in with set expectations of what a romance manga should be. Sometimes preconceived notions blind us to unexpected things. The structure of this manga is not at all confusing in my opinion, just unexpected. Many people don't get how it works or why it is done this way.

You sort of already got the structure you are asking for in your comment. Every volume tends to have one chapter that focuses on Shiramine and Kurosawa's relationship at the minimum. In fact that is the one ironclad rule in this manga. They are the connective tissue so that it does not feel like an anthology and the reader can tell that progress is being made and time advances. In many cases Shiramine and Kurosawa are actively involved in the other pairings plots, sometimes with a very minor role, sometimes with a larger role. Their presence never disappears completely.

I find it regrettable that you think the main pair did not get enough development, but I don't really think that can be objectively pinned down anyway. To me their arc is very fulfilling and believable. The final chapters and the slow build up to Shiramine's realization were very well done. I am truly confounded that some people called it rushed. Then again, other people called it a slow burn, so you can't really satisfy everyone either way.

To reply you must either login or sign up.