Forum › A Kiss And A White Lily discussion

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

@Blastaar: It's also why I think it's the kind of series that should be read volume by volume rather than chapter by chapter. It makes the structure and flow of the story crystal clear.

^ Seems like Chiharu and Izumi are pretty popular, eh. =]

Little preview for the bonus volume that will be released with volume 10, featuring all the bonus booklets of previous volumes and various illustrations:
https://twitter.com/_canno/status/1109056234357841920

…HOW CAN I BUY THIS.

last edited at Mar 22, 2019 8:22AM

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

The main problem here is not the manga's structure, but people not getting said structure. If you go in with the assumption it will follow the "main pair" as the central driving plot you just misunderstand the point. Shiramine and Kurosawa are the framing device that holds the narrative together, but ultimately it is a story that follows relationships at the academy.

My problem with the manga's structure is that the manga's structure is like this:

It's understandable for something appearing in monthly installments to be shaped like that but it's not very satisfying when you look at the whole thing.

last edited at Mar 22, 2019 8:53AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

The main problem here is not the manga's structure, but people not getting said structure. If you go in with the assumption it will follow the "main pair" as the central driving plot you just misunderstand the point. Shiramine and Kurosawa are the framing device that holds the narrative together, but ultimately it is a story that follows relationships at the academy.

My problem with the manga's structure is that the manga's structure is like this:

(https://theawesomer.com/photos/2018/11/2001_discovery_replica_1.jpg)

It's understandable for something appearing in monthly installments to be shaped like that but it's not very satisfying when you look at the whole thing.

If you expect your story to be a functional spaceship then I certainly agree with you.

Edit
joined Apr 30, 2016

Seeing this manga end leaves a tiny bit of sadness somewhere in my heart, but I guess all good things must come to an end. And this cute closing chapter was a good way to conclude what has been a wonderful 5 yrs journey. Next emotional farewell will probably be Yagakimi's end, but there's plenty of time before that hits, thankfully.

Btw,

Let's pick a movie with a lot of explosions, next time.

I see Moe is a Michael Bay fan, kek.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Btw,

Let's pick a movie with a lot of explosions, next time.

I see Moe is a Michael Bay fan, kek.

That page made me laugh so hard.
Though, sidenote, whenever I hear or read the word "kek" I always think of the Civ Battle Royale, or, more precisely, the Finland from that AI-only game (as the leader of Finland in it is Urho Kekkonen, and one of the nicknames the CBR community on Reddit gave him is "the Top Kek").

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Volume 10 is out! Aaand… no omake, sadly. TT___TT Then again, she released an entire bonus volume full of omake for the special edition, so…

The only notable change was this:

mag

volume

…which makes that page infinitely better. Everything's there.

Also, the back cover shows all the other girls. With Ai taking Kohagi's hand for some reason…?

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Also, the back cover shows all the other girls. With Ai taking Kohagi's hand for some reason…?

Spoilers perhaps?

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Speaking of Kohagi, that entire Kaoru triangle didn't really go anywhere, huh? I mean she never had a chance with Yurine, but her two friends seemed clearly into her.

Actually aside from the poly trio, there was no real love triangle in the entire manga. Maybe that was supposeed to be a subplot, but Canno decided against it.

last edited at Mar 24, 2019 10:28AM

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Yeah, it seems like Canno didn't really know what to do with Kohagi and Momiji… Maybe they were just meant to contrast Yurine's loneliness with Kaoru's sociability, and lead her to make more friends? I dunno.

Otherwise, there was the Chiharu-Maya-Izumi triangle, but I guess that doesn't really count…

Spoilers perhaps?

Or a dropped plotline, maybe. =O

sodachinumberone
joined Mar 27, 2019

This is peak manga right here.

Some of the plot lines were meh but most (especially Moe and Mizuki) were sooooooooooo cute

Jpeg_20190416_171921
joined May 10, 2018

A month late to the party, its nice to finally see our main pair have a conclusion. Despite it's flaws, this series still holds a pretty special place in my heart as the first yuri manga I've ever read.

Thanks Canno, and I hope to see more from you!

6d773abd5093e0f04807bae3fb796be4cee752bf
joined Mar 27, 2015

Well, really feels like an end of an era. Enjoyed this series a lot, although mostly when it didn't focus on the main couple, I was never sold on Yurine as a character and Ayaka needed a lot of that delicious development for me to get attached to her eventually. I'm a sucker for happy endings and glad that Canno gave basically everybody one, but at times it could feel a little unnatural and some arcs could have used more chapters. Still, a very enjoyable manga! Looking forward to rereading this in the future one day!

Final couple listing:
1. ChiharuxIzumi - Best couple by far, absolutely adored both of them, bakagenkis are the best!
2. MizukixMoe - A very enjoyable pairing, loved every page with them.
3. ItsukixSawa - Their chapters were always a lot of fun, gave me a great deal of laughs.
4. AikaxHaine - Delicious double forbidden love, what's not to like?
5. AyakaxYurine - Main couple, got the most development, just never really liked them as characters all that much.
6. YukinaxTowako - Really felt for Towako, but other than that, not a whole lot to write home about.
7. AsukaxMikaze - Very late into the franchise, drama heavy and then a quick happy ending. Little to really look back on fondly.
8. NagisaxHikari - Didn't care about their conflict to be honest.
9. Amane, Ryou & Nina - The weakest romance in my opinion. I'm down with polyamory, but I don't think this particular threeway relationship was developed to the extent that it should have been.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

While I loved ChihaIzu, it bothers me that their hook-up was only detailed in a Drama CD that only a few hardcore fans probably bothered to buy. But then again, it would have required several more chapters, and they already have the most focus chapters after the main couple… tough balance.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Canno just released her first post-AnoKiss manga with her circle Hyper Kettle Yesterday (Kawauchi and Nega have theirs too)… and I have no idea how I can get my hands on it. TTvTT

From the preview, the protag is a 30-year-old woman with a severe hangover.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Canno just released her first post-AnoKiss manga with her circle Hyper Kettle Yesterday (Kawauchi and Nega have theirs too)… and I have no idea how I can get my hands on it. TTvTT

From the preview, the protag is a 30-year-old woman with a severe hangover.

Oho~
I'm always looking forward to more Canno. And its seems she graduated from the high school setting alongside the AnoKIss cast to get to a more adult series. Double nice.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

To be fair, her one-shots have often been adult-focused lately, like the one with the witch or the Mushoku to JK series.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I'm very interested if this isn't a one shot... nothing wrong with one shots, I just need.... Moooooreee

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

It's most likely a one-shot, unless they intend to create an HKY Cinematic Universe or something.

joined Mar 29, 2019

I hope this gets an anime adaptation.

joined Sep 6, 2018

With all the digressions into side characters, I don’t think so... there’s very little character arc with these interconnected stand alone volumes.

I think there’s plenty of material and lots of demand to support sequel stories following most popular pairs going into college and adult life.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Yeah, I doubt this series can work in anime, at least not without significant alterations.

On another note, I'm currently translating the one-shot (well, three-shot to be exact) I mentionned earlier.

It's light on actual yuri but an interesting read nonetheless.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I don't see how this manga would be hard to turn into an anime. Episodic arcs are perfectly fit for the medium. 1-2 episodes for every side pair with occasional focus on the main pair. It's been done before.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Or drop most of the side couple arcs entirely and focus on just a few.

Is there an anthology coming up?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Lyendith posted:

Yeah, I doubt this series can work in anime, at least not without significant alterations.

On another note, I'm currently translating the one-shot (well, three-shot to be exact) I mentionned earlier.

It's light on actual yuri but an interesting read nonetheless.

I don't know the others two but I'm interested in Canno's more adult focused work!

Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

This is going down as one of my all-time favorite manga. I swear, they aren't lying about the "kiss" in the title; the kiss scenes always make me have a heart attack from sugar overload. Canno's art is amazing, the characters are varied and interesting, and, while it's not perfect, this manga told a bunch of different love stories really well.

To reply you must either login or sign up.