Forum › SHY discussion

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Did everyone forget that the third hero they have with them is a medical expert? It's safe to assume that Spirits is probably going to be just fine.

Edit: Oh, Koveras said the same basic thing I did between the time I loaded the thread and the time I posted, lol.

last edited at Nov 8, 2019 2:24AM

Alien%209%20kumi
joined Feb 28, 2019

F for Pepesha

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

Oooof.... Right in the Spirits.... nothing a stiff drink can't fix, she is Russian after all (I'm still shook tho, Pepesha is best girl)

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

b) how refreshing Pepesha's positive representation of Russians is in this manga. I don't mind being cast as the bad guys, but being always typecast as them is tiresome.

She's still presented as a drunkard...

As if the only thing Russians drink is 80% ABV Vodka.

joined Apr 1, 2013

the comments here are amazing as always haha its a pleasure to read
Yes i think pesha will be fine they do have a medic on standby also feed her some Vodka sure she will be in high spirits okay ill stop the puns..
I hope Shy receives a new experience here with her flame powers?
that new 'evil' person seems to resemble Stigma a whole lot with that faded face markings etc
could she? be his sister ? since they confirmed they dont wear a Corrupted Ring and it seems like a hero has been manipulated obviously by stigma but it looks uncanny how they have that faded face marking that Stigma has but i dont know if its there because they got manipulated? either way im loving the new person FIGHTO Shy kick her a** Girl Powar

last edited at Nov 8, 2019 7:00AM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Koveras posted:

how refreshing Pepesha's positive representation of Russians is in this manga.

I knew that Russians are always drunk!

Don't worry I'm from Slavic country myself, so I can make drinking jokes

Alice Cheshire posted:

Did everyone forget that the third hero they have with them is a medical expert? It's safe to assume that Spirits is probably going to be just fine.

Edit: Oh, Koveras said the same basic thing I did between the time I loaded the thread and the time I posted, lol.

Yea, pretty much. Heroes getting wounded is pretty par for the course, but I doubt they'll kill her off like that. I was confused why people are acting as if they confirmed she's dead already too. They still might, but chances for this are very slim and they're more likely just increasing the stakes and making situation more serious.

last edited at Nov 8, 2019 8:27AM

Pero01
joined Apr 1, 2014

F for Pepesha

+1

Lil-Dumpster-Rat
2020-10-01%20(2)
joined Jul 27, 2019

F for Pepesha

+1

+1

last edited at Nov 8, 2019 11:02AM

Lil-Dumpster-Rat
2020-10-01%20(2)
joined Jul 27, 2019

why do people always kill off best girls? ;-;

last edited at Nov 8, 2019 11:04AM

joined Jul 26, 2016

I mean that's just Truth In Television. o3o

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

b) how refreshing Pepesha's positive representation of Russians is in this manga. I don't mind being cast as the bad guys, but being always typecast as them is tiresome.

As if the only thing Russians drink is 80% ABV Vodka.

Giving characters of certain nationality a stereotypical flaw (after all, alcoholism IS a massive problem in Russia, and has been historically) is a lesser sin in my book than unquestioningly typecasting them as villains. A good-hearted mentor figure is still sympathetic, even with an obvious character flaw. Besides, national stereotypes are not limited to Russia in this manga, given how the UK is being represented by a pessimistic, cynical jerk. :-)

last edited at Nov 8, 2019 12:00PM

joined Feb 22, 2018

EDIT: Also, as a Russian speaker, I've been wanting to remark on a) how nonsensical the names like "Pepesha" and "Tsiveta".

The mangaka is either an FPS player or a history nerd. Pepesha is a nickname for PPSh-41 submachine gun.

Genbuakicon
joined Jun 27, 2015

I'm not making any assumptions just because it's superheroes, I got burned bad last time I did that reading Gamma (a damn fine read either way, don't get me wrong).

That being said, I enjoy jovial russian characters like Pepesha and I hope she bounces back. And I kind of get how Koveras feels, it's like having an American character who's always cramming burgers in their mouth but it just makes their boobs big instead of actually being obese. Like, it's the stereotype but at least it's just being playful with it instead of making it a grotesque caricature.

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

I want to join you guys by complaining about the fact that the Chinese hero is once again portrayed as a effemine Kung-fu fighter, but I just don't have the heart.

I like cute characters and Meng Long is hella cute.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Hollows posted:

effemine Kung-fu fighter

To be fair, he sucks at Kung-fu.

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Hollows posted:

effemine Kung-fu fighter

To be fair, he sucks at Kung-fu.

Well, we'll hopefully see in the next chapter how much of that is true and how much of that is just his inner self doubt.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

EDIT: Also, as a Russian speaker, I've been wanting to remark on a) how nonsensical the names like "Pepesha" and "Tsiveta".

The mangaka is either an FPS player or a history nerd. Pepesha is a nickname for PPSh-41 submachine gun.

Nice catch. I don't think, however, that any normal parent would name their daughter after a gun, even in Russia. :D (And "Pepesha" does seem to be her birth name, since her superhero name is "Spirits"...)

I'm not making any assumptions just because it's superheroes, I got burned bad last time I did that reading Gamma (a damn fine read either way, don't get me wrong).

Gamma has a completely different tone and mood IMO -- it's more idealistic than Shy in some aspects and much less so in others. Of course, we don't know how Shy will play out, but the way I am reading it rn is that it's the "if we stick to our morals to the very end, things will turn out alright in the end" kind of idealism, whereas Gamma was more like "the needs of the many..." from the very beginning.

last edited at Nov 11, 2019 2:49AM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Koveras posted:

Nice catch. I don't think, however, that any normal parent would name their daughter after a gun, even in Russia. :D (And "Pepesha" does seem to be her birth name, since her superhero name is "Spirits"...)

True, but there's difference between parents naming their children and artists coming up with the names. Names often mean something or are somehow relevant to the character. Names as puns or references to something are very common too. So I wouldn't hold artists to the same standard as normal parents. After all they have imaginary people inside their heads.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Also nicknames are a thing. That one certainly sounds like such.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Also nicknames are a thing. That one certainly sounds like such.

To me, "Pepesha Andreanof" sounds more like an attempt at a proper-sounding full Russian name than a nickname, just like Stardust's (who is an actual artist in-story) civil identity of "David Jones" and Shy's "Teru Momijiyama" (which, as far as I can tell, is a relatively normal Japanese name). All I am saying, it seems more like a lack of research on common Russian names and naming conventions on the writer's part (especially compared to their knowledge of Japanese and English names), than any particular artistic choice.

But again, I will take a heroic, awkwardly-named Russian character in a manga over a perfectly researched, villainous one any day. :-)

PS: Pepesha's surname seems to be a cognate of "Andrey" (Russian for Andrew), but the proper spelling would be something along the lines of "Andreyeva" (the spelling of most Russian surnames is gendered, with the endings "-ov", "-ev", and "-of(f)" indicating masculine forms, while female forms typically end with "-ova" or "-eva", with some particularities).

last edited at Nov 12, 2019 11:52AM

23131889_285323998648077_5029786755005305904_n
joined Jan 11, 2019

Spirits's not dead.
I feel so relieved.

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

The villains have such weird designs. Shy's design is also pretty weird when I think about it. Spirits and Meng Long look pretty good though.

last edited at Nov 14, 2019 1:57PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

Spirits's not dead.
I feel so relieved.

I am shocked, shocked to find her basically unharmed!

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

lol that portal feels like Bleach rip-off

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

Spirits's not dead.
I feel so relieved.

I am shocked, shocked to find her basically unharmed!

Your plot armor, sir.

To reply you must either login or sign up.