Forum › The Demon Girl Next Door discussion

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

it’s gonna be shutting down soon-ish

Wait... does that mean this is getting axed, or that mangarock would no longer exist, or at the very least not recieve further chapters of any manga?

joined Jun 5, 2018

Actually, just wondering (I dont want spoilers), can someone who has read the manga tell me whether or not the series slips down to the dramatic side of things or stay light hearted like is the order a rabbit, with some hints on a darker past?

Oh, and by the way, thanks to whoever scanlates this!

I'm still gonna spoiler wrap it. The series stays very much a gag comedy. Punchlines will await around every corner. That said, the plot advances very steadily for a long time yet, and there will be some dramatic moments. Things will get filled out in terms of character's pasts.

Thanks. So you can read japanese? Or is there any way to read this manga besides on Dynasty?

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

or that mangarock would no longer exist, or at the very least not recieve further chapters of any manga?

First one. Mangarock is gonna be shutdown.

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

Actually, just wondering (I dont want spoilers), can someone who has read the manga tell me whether or not the series slips down to the dramatic side of things or stay light hearted like is the order a rabbit, with some hints on a darker past?

Oh, and by the way, thanks to whoever scanlates this!

I'm still gonna spoiler wrap it. The series stays very much a gag comedy. Punchlines will await around every corner. That said, the plot advances very steadily for a long time yet, and there will be some dramatic moments. Things will get filled out in terms of character's pasts.

Thanks. So you can read japanese? Or is there any way to read this manga besides on Dynasty?

I can read Japanese. I have one physical volume but I bought the rest online via Pixiv manga.

joined Oct 22, 2018

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_demon_girl_next_door_ch03

Panel 3, last sentence

Did they reference fucking Brazil V Germany?

last edited at Sep 18, 2019 3:13PM

joined Oct 22, 2018

bad imitation of a sleepy voice: Yaaaay. I'm finally in the double digit chapters!

joined Oct 22, 2018

We're reaching gay levels that shouldn't even be possible for a subtext story!

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Chapter 17 24 is out elsewhere, for those who can't wait. Though it's lagging behind the anime still.

last edited at Sep 30, 2019 4:39AM

joined Sep 7, 2018

I'm reading it in mangakakalot ^w^)/

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

And now the translation has officially passed the ending of the anime. We are in new territory now everyone!
If only those chapters would be on Dynasty or something. The last chapter was so gay it almost broke my subtext-o-meter.

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

If they aren't gonna upload the chapters to this site might as well use this thread to post official art:

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

BugDevil posted:

And now the translation has officially passed the ending of the anime. We are in new territory now everyone!
If only those chapters would be on Dynasty or something. The last chapter was so gay it almost broke my subtext-o-meter.

Angelic Momo stories

joined Oct 22, 2018

@Komi028
That's an extremely gay piece of official art if I've ever seen one.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

If they aren't gonna upload the chapters to this site might as well use this thread to post official art:

(https://i.imgur.com/cBbbO54.jpg)

Momo just leaning back, looking at Shamiko as if to say, "Please, continue."

last edited at Oct 8, 2019 5:47AM

joined Sep 7, 2018

The last chapter of volumen 3 was soooo gay sooo beautiful (❁´◡`❁)*✲゚*

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Is there a problem with uploading the rest of the chapters ?

last edited at Oct 17, 2019 2:15PM

Fed08a2d-cf33-4ef5-858f-73c0f1a0dc40
joined Feb 10, 2018

Is there a problem with uploading the rest of the chapters ?

I don't know either ┐( ˘~˘)┌

But I would certainly love to read the comments about the progression in the manga (。•́︿•̀。)

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I guess someone has to bite the bullet and make upload requests, even though its being translated by 2 different groups and some anons. That's annoying to untangle. Just go to Mangadex if you want to read and comment on it.

last edited at Oct 26, 2019 11:53AM

joined May 17, 2019

I just gonna leave this here, and leaving slowly.

Scene from the chapter 64 (SPOILER)
http://is2.4chan.org/u/1571936765817.png

last edited at Oct 26, 2019 2:36PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

^ It will be nice to precise what chapter it is even if it's a spoiler, even if i read MD, it's still a spoiler.

last edited at Oct 26, 2019 2:09PM

joined May 17, 2019

^ It will be nice to precise what chapter it is even if it's a spoiler, even if i read MD, it's still a spoiler.

I covered it in black to indicate that it was a spoiler, but I guess it should have been more clearer about it, sorry. editing it now.

last edited at Oct 26, 2019 2:55PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I just gonna leave this here, and leaving slowly.

Scene from the chapter 64 (SPOILER)
http://is2.4chan.org/u/1571936765817.png

I have seen it a billion times by now, but it never gets old. I didn't know it was from chapter 64 though.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

"If Lilith had said it there Shamiko would have plausible deniability ("She just misinterpreted" "Ancestor is just trying to cheer me up" etc.)."
I never deny that it was a possibility. "This event COULD trigger a chain reaction that would end with Shamiko realizing her crush" (maybe I should have use "might" instead of "could" to make it more clear?). However, that Shamiko could have doubted of Lillith does not change the fact that she could also have believed in her (remember how much she admires and respects her, to the extent that she always listens and does what Lillth tells her), both scenarios are feasibles. However, as Lillith was never able to tell Shamiko, we can only theorize what would have happened, not assure it. I Mentioned this scene just to give an example of a scenario where Shamiko could have realized about her crush for something done by other character than Momo, in order to prove my point "I am not saying that Momo don't can be the one that causes the triggering event, but it could also be any other character close enought to Shamiko.". And I insist. Anri, I am watching you

You sort of misunderstand Shamiko's mindset here. It has nothing to do with how much she trusts Lilith. She has corrected Lilith countless times and seen her being wrong, so it's not the first time by a long shot.
The actual reason Shamiko will go for denial is that she inherently does not want to acknowledge those feelings. She sees Momo so far above her that she cannot possibly believe she loves her. You may have noticed that every time someone compliments Shamiko she is utterly shocked and doesn't know how to deal with it. Shamiko has lived at home and been sick for most of her life. She is socially inept and seems to have a slight inferiority complex due to her past. All her boasting and bragging definitely is just hot air and she knows it. Whenever Momo is actually nice to her she suspects something or is disturbed by it.
So inevitably Shamiko does not believe she will receive affection unless it is spelled out to her. She is pretty dumb after all and makes mistakes all the time (like when she thought Momo was gonna crush Seiko instead of questioning her).

It won't be Anri.

"If it doesn't come from Momo's own mouth there is always a way to twist it around."
Even if it came from Momo's mouth, Shamiko could still give it a crooked twist, you know?, She is a proud tsundere after all. She will always find an excuse or a twist until she has been completly cornered and she don't have more options than to face her own feelings (although I admit that it is easier that she be cornered by something said or done by Momo).

Now you're just making it easier for me. The point is that if Momo was very direct and didn't backtrack after a confession, even Shamiko cannot deny it. At the very least Momo's feelings. Her own are still something she'd have to discover, but unlike everything else, this is an unshakable trigger.

"Honestly I'm not sure whether it would be better if Momo became her dependant first"
Only by curiosity, why did you bring is topic to the table? Something I said before made you think I was mentioning it indirectly? or, You Just wanted to mention it?

I mentioned it because it was connected to the topic... Thought that was fairly obvious.

last edited at Nov 20, 2019 11:19AM

joined May 17, 2019

You sort of misunderstand Shamiko's mindset here. It has nothing to do with how much she trusts Lilith. She has corrected Lilith countless times and seen her being wrong, so it's not the first time by a long shot.
The actual reason Shamiko will go for denial is that she inherently does not want to acknowledge those feelings. She sees Momo so far above her that she cannot possibly believe she loves her. You may have noticed that every time someone compliments Shamiko she is utterly shocked and doesn't know how to deal with it. Shamiko has lived at home and been sick for most of her life. She is socially inept and seems to have a slight inferiority complex due to her past. All her boasting and bragging definitely is just hot air and she knows it. Whenever Momo is actually nice to her she suspects something or is disturbed by it.
So inevitably Shamiko does not believe she will receive affection unless it is spelled out to her. She is pretty dumb after all and makes mistakes all the time (like when she thought Momo was gonna crush Seiko instead of questioning her).

I agree with most of the things you say here, but I disagree in certain parts.

She has corrected Lilith countless times and seen her being wrong, so it's not the first time by a long shot

There is a big difference between those occasions and the scenario raised by me that you are not taking into account. At those other times, as you say Lillith was wrong, but at that time in volume 3, Lillith was right. What she said was true, she could prove it to Shamiko and beyond that, her statement would make Momo's memories , whose meaning Shamiko don't could understand initially, suddenly made sense to her. All that accumulation of factors would force her to face the truth, no matter how dense she is.

The actual reason Shamiko will go for denial is that she inherently does not want to acknowledge those feelings.

It's not that she doesn't want to acknowledge her crush, she's just not aware of it. I know there were many occasions in the past when Shamiko refused to be honest about how she really felt, but that was because she was too embarrassed to tell the truth, not because she wanted deny to herself that what she felt was the truth (like with the purchase of the phone).

She sees Momo so far above her that she cannot possibly believe she loves her.

At what moment was something said or implied in the manga that indicates that Shamiko sees Momo as someone "far away from her"? If you told me he sees her as someone stronger or someone more capable, Ok. But someone far away in the sense that they can't be seen as equals, I don't think so. If this were the case, Shamiko would not consider Momo her rival and don't challenge her with victory in mind as a real possibility. Shamiko has not shown any discomfort caused by feeling away from Momo. The only problem she has shown regarding her relationship with Momo is not knowing more about Momo and her past.

You may have noticed that every time someone compliments Shamiko she is utterly shocked and doesn't know how to deal with it. Shamiko has lived at home and been sick for most of her life. She is socially inept and seems to have a slight inferiority complex due to her past. All her boasting and bragging definitely is just hot air and she knows it. Whenever Momo is actually nice to her she suspects something or is disturbed by it.

I agree with the analysis you did about Shamiko almost completely, but stating "So inevitably Shamiko does not believe she will receive affection unless it is spelled out to her" seems like an exaggeration to me. She never has expressed some belief that she is someone unworthy of receiving affection or that people need a reason to love her.

"Whenever Momo is actually nice to her she suspects something or is disturbed by it"

First. Shamiko gets angry when Momo is kind to her because she thinks Momo is underestimated her. People with a complex of inferiodity (and I say this by experience) have a very delicate ego. It's like a paradox, they don't think they have a lot of value as person, but they still don't want to recognize that self-imposed "truth." Therefore, they adopt arrogant or proud behavior patterns in an attempt to create an illusion of "being someone big" to help themselves to confront the idea of ​​"being someone small" (I don't know if I am explaining it well). That's why they get angry when they are underestimated, they take it as a confirmation that they have no value and that act destroys their mask of "superiority". That is what happens with Shamiko.

Second. Shamiko doubts when Momo is good to her because she still considers Momo her rival, and thinks Momo sees her as the same way. Also, remember all the times that Momo manipulated her (https://mangadex.org/chapter/698530/7) or made fun of her (https://mangadex.org/chapter/716474/15) at the beginning of MM. Is reasonable that Shamiko doubt Momo's intentions in the present when you look how she behaved in the past, especially when Momo is never opened with Shamiko about her fellings.

None of those Shamiko behaviors are driven by any belief that she cannot be loved.

It won't be Anri.

I wouldn't discard it so fast. Jokes aside, I will not say that she will definitely be the one to do something, I will not even say that there is evidence to suggest it, but it does not seem impossible to me. Thanks to her Momo and Shamiko were able to meet formally. She also is aware of their feelings, and it was thanks to her that both had a date in an elegant restaurant in the most recent chapters. (I'm not treating this as a evidence, I just mention it to point out that, in some way, Anri has already become involved in the progress of Shamiko and Momo's relationship, and that she could do it again in the future)

The point is that if Momo was very direct and didn't backtrack after a confession, even Shamiko cannot deny it. At the very least Momo's feelings. Her own are still something she'd have to discover, but unlike everything else, this is an unshakable trigger.

Wait. when you said something "from Momo's own mouth" did you mean a confession? Sorry. As you didn't specified, I thought you were referring to anything say by Momo in general (even something indirect) but if you were referring to a confession or something as direct as one, I agree with you. In fact I wrote this part "until she has been completly cornered and she don't have more options than to face her own feelings (although I admit that it is easier that she be cornered by something said or done by Momo)." keeping in mind something like that.

I mentioned it because it was connected to the topic... Thought that was fairly obvious.

Honestly... I don't see the connection. We are discussing the possibility that some character other than Momo make Shamiko aware about her feelings, right? (Although, I think we have lost a bit the topic) I do not understand how that relates to the possible effects it would have on the relationship of Shamiko and Momo that Momo became the vassal of Shamiko. (I have my opinions about it, but it is a talk I don't want to have). And beyond that... I don't understand the purpose of mentioning it. It does not deny any of my statements, it does not corroborate any statement of yours that has been denied by me ... I simply do not understand what is the usefulness of bringing it to the table. (Well, I guess if we could understand the visions of the world that the other possesses we would not have these conversations to begin XD).

WOW. Only the two of us can convert something as Simple as "Subject1: I think Momo has to act and do something extreme for Shamiko to realize her feelings because she is the only one who can make her realize" "Subject2: I don't think that necessarily have to be her, there are another characters that can cause an extreme event that makes Shamiko realize it" In a long debate with comments of more than 6000 letters XD... How is that we always get things to end like this?

last edited at Nov 21, 2019 2:16AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

She has corrected Lilith countless times and seen her being wrong, so it's not the first time by a long shot

There is a big difference between those occasions and the scenario raised by me that you are not taking into account. At those other times, as you say Lillith was wrong, but at that time in volume 3, Lillith was right. What she said was true, she could prove it to Shamiko and beyond that, her statement would make Momo's memories , whose meaning Shamiko don't could understand initially, suddenly made sense to her. All that accumulation of factors would force her to face the truth, no matter how dense she is.

There is no difference. Lilith is merely making a guess which she can't support with anything but her own subjective experiences. Nothing Shamiko has seen, including Momo's memories, is nearly definitive enough to not be easily waved off. This is low level denial that barely even requires effort.

The actual reason Shamiko will go for denial is that she inherently does not want to acknowledge those feelings.

It's not that she doesn't want to acknowledge her crush, she's just not aware of it. I know there were many occasions in the past when Shamiko refused to be honest about how she really felt, but that was because she was too embarrassed to tell the truth, not because she wanted deny to herself that what she felt was the truth (like with the purchase of the phone).

No. Shamiko has very often been close to realizing that she likes Momo or at the very least sees her as a close friend, but actively denied it rapidly and come up with an excuse. This behaviour shows that she most definitely doesn't want to acknowledge how she really sees Momo. It may be embarrassment or any other reason, but Shamiko's active denial of things she should have figured out by now is a clear sign she avoids thinking about it on purpose.

She sees Momo so far above her that she cannot possibly believe she loves her.

At what moment was something said or implied in the manga that indicates that Shamiko sees Momo as someone "far away from her"? If you told me he sees her as someone stronger or someone more capable, Ok. But someone far away in the sense that they can't be seen as equals, I don't think so. If this were the case, Shamiko would not consider Momo her rival and don't challenge her with victory in mind as a real possibility. Shamiko has not shown any discomfort caused by feeling away from Momo. The only problem she has shown regarding her relationship with Momo is not knowing more about Momo and her past.

And since when did Shamiko ever seriously think she could win against Momo, let alone be above her? Momo is better than her at almost everything except cooking. Shamiko always treats Momo as a goal that she wants to reach, but is unable to. Her infatuation is also very clearly build on a lot of admiration, like with an idol. Shamiko often thinks Momo is only around her or stays with her because she has a goal connected to her, like Sakura. There is most definitely a subtle display of Shamiko feeling disconnected from Momo as someone who is just above her and doesn't need her. The reason she so desperately wants to be acknowledged by and impress Momo is clearly to gain her attention from below. "Look, I can do this, please notice me" etc.
The entire deal about making Momo her vassal is her desperate attempt to make Momo closer to her, so that they can be on eye-level. The whole stuff about becoming her boss is just hot air for that goal. All those "benefits" she offers Momo for becoming part of her family is basically proof enough that she doesn't actually ever see herself as the actual master, but rather a subordinate.

I agree with the analysis you did about Shamiko almost completely, but stating "So inevitably Shamiko does not believe she will receive affection unless it is spelled out to her" seems like an exaggeration to me. She never has expressed some belief that she is someone unworthy of receiving affection or that people need a reason to love her.

This is not something the character needs to express, as it's rooted deep in the subconscious and is mostly displayed in actions. Ever notice how often Shamiko falls into a state of self-derisiveness and giving in to her weakness? How she berates herself or acts like she will be beat up without retaliation? When something good happens to her, she always is suspicious of it etc. Her deep need to be useful is just another facette of that insecurity.

First. Shamiko gets angry when Momo is kind to her because she thinks Momo is underestimated her. People with a complex of inferiodity (and I say this by experience) have a very delicate ego.

This entire paragraph just straight up supports my side of the argument.

None of those Shamiko behaviors are driven by any belief that she cannot be loved.

Inherently Shamiko shies away from priase and affection from anyone except her immediate family. Not just Momo. She doesn't honestly believe that she is actually any good when people tell her she is. It will be no different with love.

It won't be Anri.

I wouldn't discard it so fast. Jokes aside, I will not say that she will definitely be the one to do something, I will not even say that there is evidence to suggest it, but it does not seem impossible to me. Thanks to her Momo and Shamiko were able to meet formally. She also is aware of their feelings, and it was thanks to her that both had a date in an elegant restaurant in the most recent chapters. (I'm not treating this as a evidence, I just mention it to point out that, in some way, Anri has already become involved in the progress of Shamiko and Momo's relationship, and that she could do it again in the future)

Anri, while perceptive and pushy, cannot substitute for someone involved. Even if she told Shamiko about Momo's feelings or tried to poke Shamiko until she thinks about her own, it would simply not have much effect. I refer back to what I said before. The only surefire way to start to domino chain is for Momo to confess. Everything becomes less potent the farther away you go from that definitive trigger. A third party telling her, or even just nudging her will not work. It has to be a far more drastic method.

Honestly... I don't see the connection.
I do not understand how that relates to the possible effects it would have on the relationship of Shamiko and Momo that Momo became the vassal of Shamiko.

Simply put (as I already did in the original comment if you would deign to actually read it completely), if Momo became Shamiko's vassel right now, Shamiko would lose her entire basis for denial. The "rivals & "enemies" aspect of their relationship would completely fade away at a moment's notice.
Then what? This was her number one way of coping with her feelings of denial. Does this not mean Shamiko will be forced to think about her feelings more? Or will she simply flee into the "mistress and vassal" excuse next?
The idea that Shamiko has to realize her feelings before Momo becomes her vassal is important to me, because it will mean that they face their feelings on eye-level. Shamiko herself must shed her "enemies" shield. Realize that she doesn't just want Momo because she would be a great vassal, but because she wants Momo herself to be with her. If Momo became her vassal before that point, it might even be detrimental to the possibility of them confessing to each other.

last edited at Nov 21, 2019 12:09PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.