Forum › Bloom Into You discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Plot aside (new conflict can always be introduced), has anyone actually thought about Nakatani-sensei's side of things here? Writers generally need muse and a point to their stories to be interested in the work. Nakatani told the story she wanted to tell and explored all relevant paths (Sayaka being a bonus), so there is no reason to force herself to write more. It is entirely possible to do, but goes against the author's goals, therefore it's wrong.

If she handed the universe to someone else to do a spin-off in, it would work, but the writing quality cannot be upheld.

I think those basic points have already been made here in some detail:

• As informed appreciators of what the author has accomplished here, we understand that it is right and just that the story end, soon, entirely on her own terms.

• As greedy consumer monkeys, we’ve found something that arouses our pleasure centers and all we can think about is about pressing the food bar for more, more, more, in perpetuity.

I go back and forth. lol

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

• As informed appreciators of what the author has accomplished here, we understand that it is right and just that the story end, soon, entirely on her own terms.

• As greedy consumer monkeys, we’ve found something that arouses our pleasure centers and all we can think about is about pressing the food bar for more, more, more, in perpetuity.

I go back and forth. lol

Well I haven't seen the writer's side brought up yet. Only that the quality would decrease if she kept pushing on. I have more sympathy with the author than the audience most of the time, so that might be my personal issue. A story's integrity usually trumps my desire for more (unecessary sequels always make me groan when they are announced, even if they turn out good).

But the monkey in me always gets riled up when things go the "wrong" way, so I ain't any better.

last edited at Sep 4, 2019 10:33AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I go back and forth. lol

Well I haven't seen the writer's side brought up yet.

I think the (barely) subtext of what a number of people have said—certainly me, and some of those whom you’ve quoted—has been, “There’s no reason to think that the author who has done this (YagaKimi as we have it) would have any inclination to do that (SOL, spin-offs, sequels, etc.)”.

It’s clear that some mangaka, and their readers, fall in love with their characters and storyworlds and get invested in keeping the party going by whatever means— to a certain extent that’s what’s happened with Citrus, and arguably WDTFS? —but that’s so not this author and series that it’s not even funny.

As with any extremely well-executed major work of art—oh, hell, let’s just go ahead and say “masterpiece”—there’s the big “what do you do for an encore?” question looming. It’s no wonder such artists often dive into something totally different, enter into sometimes surprising collaborations, revert to earlier, perhaps unfinished or unpublished, work, or do pretty much anything that will disabuse the audience of expecting *Masterpiece Redux: The Reduxxing.”

(I just hope it’s not back to the Touhou doujins for Nakatani-sensei, because I can’t make heads or tails of that stuff.)

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

All I can rely on is what the translations give me. None of them said what you said. I don't know the Japanese context either. Perhaps that word is commonly used for sleepovers, I don't know.

The word does commonly translate to "sleepover," but it doesn't have to be at anyone's house specifically. Yuu doesn't specify when or where this "sleepover" would happen (which was why for KS translation, we avoided using "at your place.") If Touko and Yuu weren't minors, this "sleepover" could've been at a hotel in Jap context. Japanese is more contextual than English, so Yuu asking for a "sleepover" without specifying the time or location then follows with "what I want to say is... in other words..." heavily implies she is definitely asking for more than a "sleepover." So basically, Yuu is indirectly asking to spend a night with Touko where they can take things further. Even among English-speaking readers, most people seem to have caught the idea, but maybe cuz everyone's mind is wired to think lewd (but they have reasons to, the buildups to Yuu asking for a "sleepover" were steering them to that direction.)

Anyway, I'm just here to clarify what Yuu said in Japanese context, so everyone can move on from discussing the literal English meaning.

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

I go back and forth. lol

Well I haven't seen the writer's side brought up yet. Only that the quality would decrease if she kept pushing on. I have more sympathy with the author than the audience most of the time, so that might be my personal issue. A story's integrity usually trumps my desire for more (unecessary sequels always make me groan when they are announced, even if they turn out good).

But the monkey in me always gets riled up when things go the "wrong" way, so I ain't any better.

I agree, please no continuation of YagaKimi. I want to remember it as a great series. All continuations screw up the original story sooner or later :-((( I cry in the corner every time a new chapter of WDTFS comes out and don’t want to do the same with this one.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I think people really underestimated the weight of what they're asking for. Majority of manga is written with idea of continuing it indefinitely, as long as it's popular, and as soon it isn't, it gets axed. Stories that are written with clear goal in mind and aren't meant to be constantly drag out, are very few and far between. People really should appreciate the fact that Nakatani isn't force to continue it, just because it's popular and is able to finish it on her own terms. Too often that's the downfall of great mangas, that weren't allowed to end, and over time their quality went down significantly, until they were axed and weren't able to end on satisfying note.

matsuri_wins posted:

All continuations screw up the original story sooner or later :-(((

cough Motto Hanjuku Joshi cough

last edited at Sep 4, 2019 12:51PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I agree, please no continuation of YagaKimi. I want to remember it as a great series. All continuations screw up the original story sooner or later :-((( I cry in the corner every time a new chapter of WDTFS comes out and don’t want to do the same with this one.

I am often surprised that some forced sequels turn out good and have been wrong countless times due to that, but it is always safer to end it on a high note instead of gambling for the miraculous masterpiece sequel/prequel. It's even rarer in very self-contained narratives like YagaKimi.

I never thought WDTFS was any good to begin with anyway

I think people really underestimated the weight of what they're asking for. Majority of manga is written with idea of continuing it indefinitely, as long as it's popular, and as soon it isn't, it gets axed. Stories that are written with clear goal in mind and aren't meant to be constantly drag out, are very few and far between. People really should appreciate the fact that Nakatani isn't force to continue it, just because it's popular and is able to finish it at her own term. Too often that's the downfall of great mangas, that weren't allowed to end, and over time their quality went down significantly, until they were axed and weren't able to end on satisfying note.

This.
The manga industry was never focused on telling good stories, but rather milking every property to the last drop. I can really not fathom why anyone wants to become a mangaka. Bad pay, bad treatment and forced to sell your integrity for the sake of stretching things beyond reasonable limits. Nobody ever gives the big ones the credit they deserve for being able to churn out high quality stuff for decades on a weekly basis.

A clear planned out plot from beginning to end that does not get meddled with is a rare blessing. Especially in the hands of a great writer.

last edited at Sep 4, 2019 12:55PM

joined Aug 29, 2019

I meant from a literary point of view. The first few volumes built up a number of conflicts that shaped the plot. Things like Touko hiding her true self behind a mask and acting like her sister, or Yuu thinking she's incapable of falling in love then falling for someone she can't confess her feelings to, not to mention the love triangle with Sayaka's feelings.

All of that is already resolved in the story. There aren't many remaining issues to address for the main couple (though some side characters still have unresolved plot points).

So, as far as storytelling goes, the main plot is over. Anything that happens now is relatively minor compared to the overarching concept of YagaKimi (and I think that includes everything after the confession scene in the student council room). And I don't think an author of the caliber of Nakatani-sensei would drag a story on just for the fluff.

(Also, everyone please do stop with the passive agressive replies. It doesn't make you look smart or superior, just >conceited.)

You are absolutely correct. The main "conflicts" Nakatani built her story around are resolved. As such, the narrative of Bloom into You is finished and concluded. Anything more would have to be an entirely new story with the same characters, which can be perfectly fine if the author feels like doing it (and not just for monetary gain) and can deliver good quality, at least well above fanfiction level.

Think spin-offs or late continuations. They can be great, but often aren't, especially when the prime motivation is making more money and telling a story is just a vessel.

If Nakatani had an inner urge to eventually write new stories about Touko and Yuu, I'm sure they'd be nice stories. If she properly set another clear goalpost for a new story arc instead of just plodding along ad infinium, she might end up creating another marvelous piece of art.

If she doesn't feel like expanding on Touko and Yuu, that's gonna be fine as well. She's given us way more than we could reasonably have expected already.

Also lol @Matsuri-wins' posts.

Edit:

I am often surprised that some forced sequels turn out good and have been wrong countless times due to that, but it is >always safer to end it on a high note instead of gambling for the miraculous masterpiece sequel/prequel. It's even rarer >in very self-contained narratives like YagaKimi.

Yeah, I've seen excellent sequels to completed stories, but continuing a masterpiece in a manner worthy of the original is difficult. Drawing another parallel to the novel series I mentioned, the Black Jewels, the author has written seven continuations and spin-offs to her original trilogy, and only the (currently) final one, published eleven years after the trilogy originally concluded, was of the same quality, and not throughout as well. (Gosh darnit, just found out that she's still not quitting despite providing the absolutely perfect ending to her story already. Probably should have left it there).

last edited at Sep 4, 2019 1:01PM

joined Sep 4, 2019

Im shaking right now, I half expected that thing to happen. I just didnt expect Yuu to be the top like, what? Its like a lost cinnamon roll taking advantage of a shy dog. But still I'm inlove with unexpected endings.

joined Aug 29, 2019

Has anyone made the pun yet that we had another true climax during what should be denouement after the story's already culminated?

If not, here you go.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Ladies and gentleladies, keep it on topic please. People have been banned for less.

Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

Honestly this is one of the only series I've read where I feel like I'll be satisfied with the ending, and i won't be craving for more chapters/content because the story is just so well constructed and rounded. I feel like I can find solice and peace with the ending, everything was just so neatly arranged and handled... This really makes you 'feel' like an ending. What good story telling can do, damn.
Why we were ever blessed with Nakatani, I don't know. But thank you Godoka for blessing us.
Hopefully Nakatani will bless us with more yuri in the future.

last edited at Sep 4, 2019 9:45PM

Bun
joined Jul 5, 2018

omfg they actually did the deed. i think im gonna cry in happiness now

joined Aug 29, 2019

OK ok ok

One more silly joke.

Touko and Yuu have just come out to the Koito family. Rei walks up to Touko and says:

• "So, you're my sister's lesbian girlfriend, huh?"
  • "Um, yeah, thanks for accepting me."
  • "Well, you do Yuu, I guess."
  • "Did you just..."

And thus Touko, Yuu and her parents stood there, dumbstruck, mouths agape.

last edited at Sep 5, 2019 8:28AM

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

^ Pls make more.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^ Pls make more.

Or stop. Stop also works.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Like I said, I am very saddened that the 4s translation didn't keep the horrible Yuu puns. The version I read first had at least 3 of those in one chapter. It was terribly terrific.

last edited at Sep 5, 2019 9:55AM

Popte_pop_54
joined Jun 25, 2019

Long have we waited

joined Aug 29, 2019

Like I said, I am very saddened that the 4s translation didn't keep the horrible Yuu puns. The version I read first had at >least 3 of those in one chapter. It was terribly terrific.

Honestly I've not been enjoying them in the manga proper. As gags in the community, sure, but I was always a bit put-off by them in the manga, and unsure whether it was some Japanese convention they tried to emulate in the English version or just a silly pun.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Honestly I've not been enjoying them in the manga proper. As gags in the community, sure, but I was always a bit put-off by them in the manga, and unsure whether it was some Japanese convention they tried to emulate in the English version or just a silly pun.

How could you deny the cringy brilliance of this?

This is what Nakatani would have wanted.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

^ Pls make more.

Why was it you of all people that decided to rain down on my parade?

joined Aug 29, 2019

^ Pls make more.

I don't think Blastaar's being quite serious.

@BD
yeah, that one didn't survive in my personal edit, but I was seriously considering whether I should keep it.

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

When addressing another person they have a close relationship with or have respect for, Japanese people often use the other person's name or honorific (like "senpai" or "sensei") instead of using equivalents of "you" (kimi, anata, omae, or what have you). Touko addresses Yuu as Yuu on a regular basis & did literally say "Yuu and I" in Japanese 侑と私. Yuu's name just happens to make it punny. I won't deny that we intentionally left her name in some sentences just because. But the "Yuu and I" one would have been translated the same even if Yuu's name was different just to keep the sentiment of what Touko said in highlighting them as individuals even when they are a couple.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Oh I'm quite aware that it was supposed to be that way in that sentence. Which is why Nakatani would have loved the irony that it is also a pun.

But in a Western context you don't speak of people in third person in such a stilted way in all other cases... like this one.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^ Pls make more.

I don't think Blastaar's being quite serious.

@BD
yeah, that one didn't survive in my personal edit, but I was seriously considering whether I should keep it.

It was actually aimed more at Zormau’s parade, BV, but we’re all free agents here, so pun away until the authorities step in. lol

Cringe-y puns are always a “Yes, but actually no” deal for me, complicated in this case by the bizarre Japanese treatment/non-treatment of personal pronouns.

English being a rather blunt instrument in many respects, “you” puns are somewhat uncommon but essentially straightforward, since we use personal pronouns all the time. In Japanese, like everything else: it’s . . . complicated.

https://people.umass.edu/partee/MGU_2009/papers/Ponamareva.pdf

So in translations of YagaKimi, such puns amount to, “If Japanese used personal pronouns in such situations, which they generally don’t, Yuu’s name would be a homonym for the personal pronoun if they were speaking English, which they aren’t.”

But then, my favorite Korean singer/actress is IU, so go figure.

To reply you must either login or sign up.