Forum › Bloom Into You discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Yuu isn't sporty, she used to play a sport, so I wasn't thinking of her as such. (I mean, she's STUCO now, that's definitely firmly in the nerd clique. ;p )

Bowling is a sport.

That's a pretty hard reach for the original point.

No, you’re seriously going to argue the point that Yuu doesn’t count as a “sporty” girl in the context of this series?

Except for some inferences about her home life and the fact that she reads manga and listens to pop music, that’s pretty much all we do know about Yuu’s past before the series begins—that she was a dedicated member of the softball team who was considered a reliable senpai by her juniors. We see her go unwind at a batting cage with Maki, and she’s a pretty decent bowler. (She’s a little short to be outstanding in the relay races, but she does okay there too.)

Or is this just about mincing words?

last edited at Aug 31, 2019 9:33PM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

No, you’re seriously going to argue the point that Yuu doesn’t count as a “sporty” girl in the context of this series?

Except for some inferences about her home life and the fact that she reads manga and listens to pop music, that’s pretty much all we do know about Yuu’s past before the series begins—that she was a dedicated member of the softball team who was considered a reliable senpai by her juniors. We see her go unwind at a batting cage with Maki, and she’s a pretty decent bowler. (She’s a little short to be outstanding in the relay races, but she does okay there too.)

Or is this just about mincing words?

I mean the original point you were making is that I was stereotyping sporty girls as lesbians, and my counter argument is that I was suggesting that she was just one of a few "sporty" girls, most of whom are definitely straight. I don't know how serious you were being, but I kinda resent the implication a little.

With Yuu, the only point I was actually making is that when you said "sporty", she didn't immediately come to mind for me. It's about how I personally use the term. She's an avid reader who works in a bookstore, and she's in stuco as well. She's also a jellyfish geek. She's physically active, sure, but she engages in a variety of activities. Sports isn't her "thing" like it is for Serizawa, Natsuki, and Akari. If you want to call that sporty, okay, sure, but that's a pretty broad term, then.

If I was going to describe Yuu, the term that comes to mind for me is something more like "well-rounded".

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

Guys, you need to tone down on the passive-aggressive stuff. It's just a manga.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I mean the original point you were making is that I was stereotyping sporty girls as lesbians, and my counter argument is that I was suggesting that she was just one of a few "sporty" girls, most of whom are definitely straight.

As the punchline, “I’ll come in again” was intended to indicate in no uncertain terms, I was making a joke about short-haired sporty girls, of which I recalled two: Natsuki and Yuu, the former of whom has the classic visual design of a yuri-manga tomboy lesbian and the latter of whom is depicted having sex with a woman.

Akari’s hair is, at most, medium-length, and I completely forgot about the existence of Serizawa, since she exists only for a couple of pages in one of Akari’s flashbacks, outdone only by Yuu’s would-be male suitor as the character with the least presence in the series.

And thanks for your interest, cecile, but we’ll handle our passive-aggressiveness ourselves. lol

last edited at Sep 1, 2019 6:42AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

And thanks for your interest, cecile, but we’ll handle our passive-aggressiveness ourselves. lol

Careful, some people get banned for that. Although it's on a lottery basis, so your chances are random.

S-l225
joined Jun 28, 2016

outdone only by Yuu’s would-be male suitor as the character with the least presence in the series.

Actually I would disagree with that statement, his presence and his actions are in fact what kicked this whole story off and is responsible for were we are now.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

outdone only by Yuu’s would-be male suitor as the character with the least presence in the series.

Actually I would disagree with that statement, his presence and his actions are in fact what kicked this whole story off and is responsible for were we are now.

That’s not at all what I mean by “presence.”

Such questions as “Who is he as a person? What is he like? What happened to him?”, etc. couldn’t be of any less relevance or salience to the story going forward—he has absolutely nothing to do with the story except as a mechanical device to kick things off.

That’s as opposed to, say, Touko’s sister, Mio, who’s not even alive but whose personality (both perceived and real) has everything to do with the story for most of the series.

Of course, if Rejected-kun shows up for a curtain call next chapter, that would make a difference. But I strongly suspect not.

EDIT: On reflection, though, if he did show up, that would truly cement Nakatani-sensei’s status as the Queen of the Callbacks.

last edited at Sep 1, 2019 8:46AM

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Of course, if Rejected-kun shows up for a curtain call next chapter, that would make a difference. But I strongly suspect not.

Spoilers:

Rejected-kun will be third only to Maki and Sayaka in discovering Yuu and Touko's relationship.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

That would be quite ironic. Maybe he even shows up with a new girlfriend that he could make float. Sort of the opposite of what happened when Sayaka met her old crush.

joined Oct 22, 2018

That would be quite ironic. Maybe he even shows up with a new girlfriend that he could make float. Sort of the opposite of what happened when Sayaka met her old crush.

sarcastic voice: Great... Now you made me ship Rejected-kun with Meanie-senpai.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

He doesn't deserve that punishment. His only crime was not being Touko. Which of course could be seen as a rather huge problem, depending on who you ask.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

He doesn't deserve that punishment. His only crime was not being Touko. Which of course could be seen as a rather huge problem, depending on who you ask.

Seriously:

“Dude, there’s a bar—and you’re never getting over it.”

But good taste in girls, anyway . . .

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Touko became pretty amazing once she got over herself.

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

BTW one of those "series in a nutshell" videos. So funny! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ8a-8YeTxY

joined Oct 22, 2018

BTW one of those "series in a nutshell" videos. So funny! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ8a-8YeTxY

My my... Who do I see made a comment to that video 8 months ago?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Touko became pretty amazing once she got over herself.

Touko was a pretty great person all along. She was smart, helpful, and reliable, everyone liked and depended on her, and unlike some other “hypercompetent sempai with a hidden side,” her public persona wasn’t really a fake—it just felt fake to her.

It’s true that her main suckitude was as a lover, which is the “got over herself” part you mention. But as flawed yuri protagonists go, she was always a pretty benign version.

joined Aug 29, 2019

Due to how Nakatani constructed the characters and narrative I can't really hold any character's flaws against them. Sure, all central characters have flaws that they could and should overcome, but we're shown exactly why these flaws are there, how they came to be.

Yes, Touko was being very selfish in her "love" initially, because that was what she felt she needed, because she felt that it was all she deserved. To me, her self-loathing was her major flaw, and she could not have overcome that one by herself. She needed someone like Yuu, who got to know her hidden side and accepted that. She would never have shown this side to someone who she honestly thought cared enough to pass judgement over her. Her self-esteem is still rather low, I'd say, considering her factual abilities and competence.

The side she showed the world was not, however, lovable by itself. Likeable, sure, but I don't think you can earnestly love someone who seems flawless. You can have a crush on someone like that, sure, but loving means knowing full-well a person's flaws, and then embracing the flaws you can and then negotiating those you can't.

Having a crush is not love. Love begins when the crush is over. Yuu never had a crush on Touko, but over time got to love her. Touko had a crush on Yuu, for rather awkward reasons, but got over that, too, and eventually embraced all of her.

last edited at Sep 1, 2019 3:26PM

joined Nov 5, 2017

Any last chapter predictions? I have no idea since we don't know how many pages it will have yet. The only thing I am fairly certain is that we will see some pages about their future life, living together and enjoying domestic life like they wished for.

joined Jan 6, 2017

Any last chapter predictions? I have no idea since we don't know how many pages it will have yet. The only thing I am fairly certain is that we will see some pages about their future life, living together and enjoying domestic life like they wished for.

The way the story has been going makes me think that the series is going to end more with a sort of "we'll see what the future holds for us", instead of us actually seeing it.
I really hope it's going to have their families (or at the very least Rei) finding out about their relationships. I'm also hoping for some closure with the other characters (Sayaka, Koyomi, Akari, etc).

joined Aug 29, 2019

The way the story has been going makes me think that the series is going to end more with a sort of "we'll see what the future holds for us", instead of us actually seeing it.
I really hope it's going to have their families (or at the very least Rei) finding out about their relationships. I'm also hoping for some closure with the other characters (Sayaka, Koyomi, Akari, etc).

I agree. We've seen plenty of "this would be a nice future" scenes, but I don't think we'll see a "this is what the future actually held for us".

If we don't get some sort of coming out to friends and/or family I will be extremely surprised, and a bit disappointed, to be honest. Considering the way things have been developing in this story from the get-go, I'm sure it'll happen.

Other than that, I there's really nothing I need from the conclusion anymore.

joined Oct 22, 2018

We (especially BugDevil and I) need to see how Midori and Manaka are going.

joined Aug 29, 2019

That's certainly on the "nice to have" list, but that list also contains a few other potential and realized couples.

Edit/Addendum: Also I wouldn't mind seeing how Touko, Sayaka and to an extent also the others ended up academically by the end of the school year. Did Sayaka come out on top at least there?

last edited at Sep 1, 2019 5:17PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Edit/Addendum: Also I wouldn't mind seeing how Touko, Sayaka and to an extent also the others ended up academically by the end of the school year. Did Sayaka come out on top at least there?

Someone mentioned that there’s another person who is always third, so it would be funny to see them win in the end.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Speak for yourself. The innate brilliance and truth of Midori x Manaka needs no verification for me.

Someone mentioned that there’s another person who is always third, so it would be funny to see them win in the end.

If we consider the charts (which are still not on this site because the volume 7 extra has not been added), Maki is pretty close to Touko and Sayaka academically. If he was in the same year he could totally be third place.

last edited at Sep 1, 2019 7:15PM

Rsz_1screenshot_2021-08-18_at_11-24-04_the_idolmaster_cinderella_girls_fr%c3%a9d%c3%a9rica_miyamoto_shiki_ichinose_%e3%83%ac%e3%82%a4%e3%82%b8%e3%83%bc%e3%83%ac%e3%82%a4%e3%82%b8%e3%83%bc_-_pixiv
joined Apr 25, 2018

They did it.

To reply you must either login or sign up.