Forum › I'll Cheer On My Yuri Onee-chan discussion

Ab03237b-ac0d-4030-8288-8032dc7528e5
joined May 12, 2015

after lil bro succeeds:
"I did it! theyre best friends. I keep hearing weird sounds from sis's room when she comes over, but im sure its fine."

LMAO

joined Apr 16, 2018

Really hope it doesn't stay too fluffy. I would like there to be actual yuri and not just overly touchy friends

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

Mio kun is gonna be a lady killer in the future. But for oneechan and friend ganbatte!

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Yuri often ignores the existence of males for no good reason. It takes away from the world if it exists in a vacuum. The segregation of the genders due to a fear of competition is problematic in its own way. Some, if not most of the best and most grounded Yuri stories are not afraid to involve male characters.

Anyway, Mio is a good boy and this is quite the nice plot. Isn't Mio a girl's name though? Onee-chan's blushing and overheating can be attributed to extreme shyness, but transfer sutdent girl certainly seems very proactive about pursuing her. That look she had when she saw Onee-chan smile was very enarmored.

To be honest I always played with the idea of writing a similar story myself. A story about a boy trying to be a wingman for two girls who for the life of them can't get together due to circumstances (either because they are both tsunderes or because they are denser than a black hole). Making that character a little brother is actually quite smooth and natural (especially because he is not even aware of the romantic context).

last edited at Apr 23, 2019 2:58PM

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

A elementary school boy taking care of his big sister!? That is freaking amazing! It's very gender equality forward for a manga. Give me more! Oh and the yuri romance looks cute, too.
I don't think a elementary school boy counts as a "male" character. Sure he's a boy, but it's not like he's going to be a serious romantic rival for the girls.

For the record: I like male characters in yuri stories. If there are no boys, in the mix, I get the feeling the girls are just playing love games. That the girls will one day discover guys, and the yuri romance I spent X chapters rooting for will fall apart.
Edit: I feel, the, way over used, All girl school setting is often used as a way of assuring the reader "Don't worry, these girls aren't really gay. They are just discovering love, for the first time. With no men around, they have no choice, but to fall in love with each other. Once they graduate, they will find a man and have a proper relationship.

last edited at Apr 23, 2019 3:20PM

Fb_img_1527421130856
joined Jun 18, 2015

A yuri with a male MC?
Weird flex but ok

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I don't think a elementary school boy counts as a "male" character. Sure he's a boy, but it's not like he's going to be a serious romantic rival for the girls.

Male and female characters are not defined by their availability for romantic interest. That's one twisted view. Male side-characters with literally zero interest or "danger" of becoming rivals are still male characters.

For the record: I like male characters in yuri stories. If there are no boys, in the mix, I get the feeling the girls are just playing love games. That the girls will one day discover guys, and the yuri romance I spent X chapters rooting for will fall apart.

That is just as reproachable as erasing males. It implies girls cant develope true feelings unless they are challenged by male presence... As if the natural order is for them to fall head over heels for a boy the moment he exists. And then there are bisexuals.

Really John, I know you mean well, but your phrasing always is so unfortunate...

last edited at Apr 23, 2019 3:24PM

joined Jan 26, 2019

Well, I assume the writer is not one of the writers who would do that, but there are definitely some creepy manga out there where a child as a serious romantic rival would be the case.

last edited at Apr 23, 2019 3:13PM

joined May 24, 2014

Looks like shizuku has a COUPLE good reasons to befriend her

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

I'd love to see more stories where the romance is shown through the pov of a "side" character. It's an interesting angle.

joined Sep 1, 2017

Male and female characters are not defined by their availability for romantic interest. That's one twisted view. Male side-characters with literally zero interest or "danger" of becoming rivals are still male characters.

Damit you know what I meant here! The word male is in quotes for a reason damnit! As I tell my nitpicy friends, all the time: Don't listen to what I say, listen to what I mean.

That is just as reproachable as erasing males. It implies girls cant develope true feelings unless they are challenged by male presence... As if the natural order is for them to fall head over heels for a boy the moment he exists. And then there are bisexuals.

That not my issue, it's the yuri manga, and animes writer's issue. They are the ones that often treat homosexuality as an "innocent mistake of youth". Edit: The writer's are the ones belittling lesbian relationships If it wasn't for yuri I would have never heard of the concept of "Love games", so put the blame where it belongs.

Really John, I know you mean well, but your phrasing always is so unfortunate...

last edited at Apr 23, 2019 4:31PM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Oh no this is cuteeeeeeee!!!!! I seriously don't mind male characters if they're handled well, just like this lil brother.

Every shy, repressed lesbian in the world needs a little brother like Mio.

I am getting gay vibes from the little bro....(I know he's 10 but...)

I know he's like a little housewife, doing all the cooking and the chores and everything... but I didn't get any gay vibes from him.

However, I did get a SHIPLOAD of gay vibes from the two other boys, his classmates. Those two are so totally "Gay For Mio" they're probably going to explode if Mio doesn't start paying more attention to them -- instead of thinking about oneechan all the time.

joined Sep 1, 2017

Well, I assume the writer is not one of the writers who would do that, but there are definitely some creepy manga out there where a child as a serious romantic rival would be the case.

Yeah, but this doesn't seem like that kind of manga.

Images
joined Apr 13, 2018

This is pretty good so far!!
Cute yuri couple and a non-creepy wingman brother OwO

F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

this is so cute. I'm looking forward to the next chapter!

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

This is a story were i felt the brother isn't just there to annoy the yuri couple, but its actually helpful to the story since the sister is a borderline mute.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Damit you know what I meant here! The word male is in quotes for a reason damnit! As I tell my nitpicy friends, all the time: Don't listen to what I say, listen to what I mean.

Eh...? Sorry, I don't read hearts, only text.

That not my issue, it's the yuri manga, and animes writer's issue. They are the ones that often treat homosexuality as an "innocent mistake of youth".

That's a super outdated thing. Yuri authors haven't done that trope for decades. That kind of outcome is the exception by now and rightfully treated as blasphemy. Yuri-bait might as well receive the death penality around here...
Basically, don't make such hasty assumptions about all-girls school settings. These days they just get used, because there is no competition and its easier to write.

Yeah but i've seen that in Japan sometimes they use the word "Yuri" even if there isn't any kind of romantic feeling involved (Subtext/Shoujo Ai)

[Obligatory reminder that "Shoujo Ai" does not exist]

last edited at Apr 23, 2019 3:58PM

Midnightgunner
Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

Whoa... People, calm down... This is just the first chapter.... Let's wait till the fourth or fifty chapter to turn this into a warzone.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Honne posted:

This chapter was only subtext (friendship with a lot of skinship) but it is tagged as Yuri. Is it going to develop into some kind of romantic relationship?

Probably? I mean, it's in the title.

Yeah but i've seen that in Japan sometimes they use the word "Yuri" even if there isn't any kind of romantic feeling involved (Subtext/Shoujo Ai)

Asking if this is yuri is like asking if they managed to get married or if someone dies ... like, let's just wait and see, alright? unless there's 5 volumes of RAW chapters ( and there isn't, there's only one in japan and here) and you want to get spoiled, is useless to ask right now.

last edited at Apr 23, 2019 4:18PM

Gyerin200
joined Sep 6, 2011

Do you even realize how utterly victimizing and stupid this whole "I don't like males in my yuri" look? Then some of you go and try to elaborate on it making it even worse.

No wonder yuri is a third rate genre when its readers think half the population should be banned from taking any relevant role in it.

joined Sep 1, 2017

Eh...? Sorry, I don't read hearts, only text.

That not my issue, it's the yuri manga, and animes writer's issue. They are the ones that often treat homosexuality as an "innocent mistake of youth".

That's a super outdated thing. Yuri authors haven't done that trope for decades. That kind of outcome is the exception by now and rightfully treated as blasphemy. Yuri-bait might as well receive the death penality around here...

Really!? I've only discovered yuri, in the last decade or so, and I've ran into it the concept a lot.

Basically, don't make such hasty assumptions about all-girls school settings. These days they just get used, because there is no competition and its easier to write.

I don't assumme anything, about all-girl school settings, other than they are way over used. Some of my most favorite yuri stories took place in all-girl schools. Of course there were boys too, they're presence made the stories feel real.
And what do you mean, by "there is no competition."?

[Obligatory reminder that "Shoujo Ai" does not exist]

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Looks fun! When Still Sick ch1 appeared I thought it could be a yuri story with a non-lesbian protagonist. This isn't quite what I was hoping for at that time but there's not much competition in this category.

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

Not a fan of the little bro. I wish he was more down to earth.

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

I like having male characters in my yuri it gives it a more realistic vibe to the story than some mystic fairy world where guys don't exist. In fact, ideally I'd like to see multiple relationships represented apart from the yuri one. I find it a slightly annoying when literally every single girl is paired off with another girl. That's why I appreciate yuri stories like Bloom Into You and Candy.

Images
joined Dec 15, 2016

The absolute wingman

To reply you must either login or sign up.