Forum › Secret Closet discussion

Artworks-000165609848-75gqpp-t500x500
joined Aug 1, 2015

very wholesome.

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

so very cute!! This is my kind of stuff.

joined Oct 27, 2018

Ugh, another manga about how tomboys secretly long to be girly and are being forced into it by peer pressure or some nonsense.

Heimyfr
joined Aug 18, 2015

Ugh, another manga about how tomboys secretly long to be girly and are being forced into it by peer pressure or some nonsense.

I got some cute panties for you~~~~

Shipping Account
Fb_img_1534347820826
joined Oct 2, 2018

Tomboys are underrated :v

joined Oct 3, 2016

She's seducing her to the cute side. Yesss, my child. Add another one to our ranks.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

I generally make an exception for this trope in the very specific context of masculine girls in all-girls schools being pigeonholed into the role of surrogate boy because I can empathize with it as a trans woman. I think "tomgirls secretly all want to be feminine" and "girls with naturally masculine features can be self-conscious about expressing their femininity because beauty standards and gender roles are vicious" are two superficially similar concepts but ultimately very different ones.

joined Jul 31, 2013

It's pretty easy to be empathetic to this character, and you'd have to try pretty hard to find her depiction intolerant or whatever.

joined Oct 27, 2018

I generally make an exception for this trope in the very specific context of masculine girls in all-girls schools being pigeonholed into the role of surrogate boy because I can empathize with it as a trans woman. I think "tomgirls secretly all want to be feminine" and "girls with naturally masculine features can be self-conscious about expressing their femininity because beauty standards and gender roles are vicious" are two superficially similar concepts but ultimately very different ones.

Funnily enough, my distaste for it also comes from empathizing as a trans woman. After being told my whole life that my femininity wasn't real or valid, I tend to get annoyed when the same is implied about others, although it's vice versa in this case.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I don't think the author is saying "all tomboys secretly long to be super girlish and cutesy" just "this tomboy secretly longs to be super girlish and cutesy".

joined Oct 27, 2018

It's pretty easy to be empathetic to this character, and you'd have to try pretty hard to find her depiction intolerant or whatever.

This is a common misconception when it comes to criticism. Criticizing your own reading of a work isn't necessarily condemning the work as a whole, or making any sort of statement about the authors intent. I'm sure that if I bought this criticism to the mangaka, they would say that wasn't their intention at all and that they think tomboys are perfectly valid.

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

I don't think the author is saying "all tomboys secretly long to be super girlish and cutesy" just "this tomboy secretly longs to be super girlish and cutesy".

Maybe this auther isn't saying it, but the trope is basically everywhere in both yuri and het stuff, like it's impossible for a girl to genuinely want to be a tomboy/butch.

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

Lol.. I love that instead of acting like jelly bitches they let her into the fanclub.

20210421_115600
joined Aug 7, 2013

aaaahhhh that was so pure???

Ab03237b-ac0d-4030-8288-8032dc7528e5
joined May 12, 2015

Maybe this auther isn't saying it, but the trope is basically everywhere in both yuri and het stuff, like it's impossible for a girl to genuinely want to be a tomboy/butch.

yea, been in this role before as "the handsome girl" in all girls school, and I do like it when girls called me handsome :P
like it exist in real life a genuine tomboy/butch

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

Yoshii-san.

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Before I read the work I was like: "Secret closet? Oh boy..."

I really expected this to go in another direction.

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

The fangirls were a bit narrow-minded, but good people in the end. Pretty refreshing, honestly. I bet they'd come around to the Cute Side eventually (especially if they saw Yoshii dressed up in-person).

Screenshot_277
joined Aug 31, 2017

what a great way to ruin a beautiful tomboy girl... sad, kinda cute through.
but tomboys can be cute too! and they do not need get feminized for it

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

For some reason I always love these kinds of tomboy stories like 'Your Cuteness' and 'A Crow With A Glistening Trinket In Her Jet-Black Feathers'

That's my fucking jam

joined Feb 17, 2019

I could predict everything that was going to happen before I even read the damn thing. I think I've seen this same structure 100 damn times.

Edit: I still like it. It's well written and the girls are cute.

last edited at Apr 18, 2019 9:34PM

Phone
joined Oct 7, 2017

I can't stand the comments on this website, just enjoy the cute girls who enjoy cute girls

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

I very much understand the internal "ugh" some may have for stories like this, but I liked this one, and I do think something like yuri manga has pretty decent representation across the spectrum of tomboyish behaviour. I'm a real sucker for some of these lines about kabedon, or, "Would you be my friend?" It's like a gut-punch, too cute!

Firefly Fanatic
9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

so cute, so wholesome.... dynasty needs more of things like this

joined Oct 27, 2018

I can't stand the comments on this website, just enjoy the cute girls who enjoy cute girls

Sometimes you will encounter ppl who engage with media differently from you, and that's okay. If you prefer to just take the surface level story and enjoy it for what it is cool, others like to maybe over think things a little, also cool. Both approaches are valid, neither is inherently better or worse.

To reply you must either login or sign up.