Forum › Marshmallow Heart discussion

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Blech, count me disappointed. I didn't expect Chitose, of all people, to feel the need to establish bisexual "harlot" Meiling. Oh well.

last edited at Jul 23, 2014 2:49PM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Blech, count me disappointed. I didn't expect Chitose, of all people, to feel the need to establish bisexual "harlot" Meiling. Oh well.

Yea.. was that... really necessary?

Well, nice read anyways.

Chibi_blademan
joined Jul 23, 2013

Dafuq? Did Meiling bang a corpse or did she have sex with him THEN kill him? Either way, I think the story could've done without that part in general.

Yuuparu%20cuddle
joined Apr 7, 2013

It's used to reinforce the fact that Meiling is a youkai, and that she's afraid of going too far with Sakuya. I don't see why one panel has to derail 30 pages of romantic yuri.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Yeah, the story was perfect and that panel stablished clearly that it was ONCE that Meiling slipped and since then she never allowed her instincts to go wild again. You guys are really overreacting.

Great art, great characterization and filled to the brim with love. 10/10

Am I the only one who was expecting a final page with Remi and the rest peeking at them? :P

Lifecharacter
Canaan2
joined May 9, 2013

If they wanted to show the "instincts" of a youkai, they could have shown, you know, murder and eating instead of sex. I mean, she talks about her stomach being empty, not some sexual need that she needs to sate with some random man.

Also a bit irritating that to show this nebulous "instinct" they show her having sex with a man. It either makes her bisexual for no other reason than that single panel/line (where you could thin that arm and change the wording and lose none of the meaning that's actually important), or saying that instincts translates to heterosexuality, even for gay people.

last edited at Jul 23, 2014 7:36PM

joined Jan 8, 2014

Am I the only one who was expecting a final page with Remi and the rest peeking at them? :P

LOL, I totally expected to see peeking also!...

I really love the story in this! some peoples past is a burden and overcoming it takes ages...I think the story told that very well! ~wonderful story, great art! ^_^ <3

(thanks to uploaders and translators!)

Toffee%20copy%202
joined Jan 2, 2014

okay I get why that parts there but I'm with zanpakutoman its just unpleasent seeing meiling do that in fact I think that page was rather vile

Ymir-and-christa-lenz-historia-reiss-shingeki-no-kyojin-kittyluv57-38197762-736-429
joined May 19, 2014

Page 20 didn't really bother me, I mean why would it be bad for her to experience sex with a man? She isn't human; she's a youkai. Maybe sex for youkais are different compared to humans and maybe she wasn't into girls until she met Sakuya which makes it more romantic.

Art felt like namori's, which was great. The story's pace was fine too.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Page 20 didn't really bother me, I mean why would it be bad for her to experience sex with a man? She isn't human; she's a youkai. Maybe sex for youkais are different compared to humans and maybe she wasn't into girls until she met Sakuya which makes it more romantic.

Art felt like namori's, which was great. The story's pace was fine too.

This.

Besides everyone is overthinking this but even then is not the only explanation, who's to say that Meiling choose a man because she didn't wanted to hurt a woman?. Men are the expendable gender on media after all.

Canaan2
joined May 9, 2013

Besides everyone is overthinking this but even then is not the only explanation, who's to say that Meiling choose a man because she didn't wanted to hurt a woman?. Men are the expendable gender on media after all.

We're overthinking it by thinking about an apparently gay character having sex with a man for little actual reason, but you're not overthinking it by getting meta about men being expendable?

Yeah, you can try and think up as many reasons why she might have had to have sex with a man for some reason, but they don't really matter since her having sex with a man had pretty much nothing to do with the actual point of her emotional baggage. The point seemed to be that she once lost control of herself and killed someone, not that she had sex with someone, so the actual art seems pointless since it adds nothing.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I wonder if in the author's mind at least, Meiling focuses more on species than gender? So to her what's important is loving humans and not wanting to kill them (again). She still loves Sakuya and the fact that she's female isn't really an issue. Which would make her bi in the sexual sense, but that may not be the point.

If we're talking meta though, I doubt the author really thought it through as much as we are.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

We're overthinking it by thinking about an apparently gay character having sex with a man for little actual reason, but you're not overthinking it by getting meta about men being expendable?

Yeah, you can try and think up as many reasons why she might have had to have sex with a man for some reason, but they don't really matter since her having sex with a man had pretty much nothing to do with the actual point of her emotional baggage. The point seemed to be that she once lost control of herself and killed someone, not that she had sex with someone, so the actual art seems pointless since it adds nothing.

Yeah because I doubt the author thought about all the implications of the panel he drew to convey a small part of his/her story, is also hard to determine if Meiling is actually gay or not since the narration seems to imply she has only gotten involved with Sakuya, for all we know it could be a special case between them. The men bit is something I've come to accept as common on the media.

Who's to say what are the eating habits of a Youkai like Meiling, hell, we don't even know for sure what kind of youkai she is so anything is fair game.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

I came here for the het on page 20

Tumblr_mqsgcvuolq1s1l3cpo1_500
joined Jul 12, 2012

I cringed a little when I saw the tag 'het', but I saw the reason for it. This isn't one of those ongoing, mindless sex doujins, it actually has it's story to it. I see that many of you are having trouble figuring out the reason why Meiling had sex with a guy? My answer would be that because Meiling is a youkai and since she did claimed that she went wild, it would be that her youkai instincts acted up so much that it literally was out of her control to stop her youkai needs. And maybe those needs were for human attention and that it was easier to reel in human males after offering her body, which makes it easy to kill them in private. What guy would not accept a hot girl offering sex? And with that she satisfied her needs sexually and the need to kill. And it makes sense why she kills human males. Human are powerless creatures, easy kills for youkais. And males because they're an easy catch for female youkais.
You guys complicate your minds too much on this. Anything based on instincts is obviously no self control on what you do, so hers were those. She explained already. She didn't do it just because she didn't care or felt like it, it all falls down to no self control. Once she realized it, she started to self retrain her youkai instincts because she never wanted to hurt anymore humans, like Sakuya. When Sakuya touched her, Meiling rejected her because she didn't wanted her instincts to go out of control. BOOM!✴

Anime-anime-boy-black-and-white-boy-favim.com-1570867
joined May 7, 2014

Just Wonderful. I love it.

Untitled2
joined Dec 24, 2013

The reaction to a little het is hilariously similar to those reactions to a little homosexuality on TV. "I don't want 'em gays in on mah tv. Think o' thuh children" -southernUSaccent-

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

The reaction to a little het is hilariously similar to those reactions to a little homosexuality on TV. "I don't want 'em gays in on mah tv. Think o' thuh children" -southernUSaccent-

Won't SOMEBODY think of the DYKES!!

Yuuparu%20cuddle
joined Apr 7, 2013

Miko Translations translated this differently, and it gives Meiling a different backstory altogether: http://mikotranslations.wordpress.com/2014/08/07/release-6-marshmallow-heart-touhou-project/#comments
Miko said this version, here on Dynasty Reader, is incorrect. Could one of the mods check it out, and maybe upload the Miko version? (I personally like that one better...)

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Oh, must've been dreaming when I uploaded the new version. Miko was indeed correct, and that version is better, so thanks for the reminder.

0d9c1f8da5c68f44be466e7fdf34f353
joined Jan 13, 2015

Since Meiling explains every last thing about why she slept with men (btw it wasn´t just one) and why she doesn´t want Sakuya to touch her breasts I recommend everyone who doesn´t get it to actually READ it and not just look at the pictures.

__minamoto_chikaru_strawberry_panic_drawn_by_takashina_asahi__abe92d9e0ddce264552d5caa2b8929cc
joined May 13, 2018

Lmao you people act like you can't be bi lol

To reply you must either login or sign up.