It’s like poetry.

Thanks for that PTSD flashback.

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

SAYAKAAAAAAAAA
cries

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I know no one would be silly enough to enlarge that one panel to try to read what Touko was texting to Yuu, but it’s not readable anyway.

Oops . . .um, I’m guessing.

joined Nov 5, 2017

Another fansub translated this chapter, if anyone is interested in a second reading: https://mangadex.org/chapter/529371
It's interesting to see some differences in wording.

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

Another fansub translated this chapter, if anyone is interested in a second reading: https://mangadex.org/chapter/529371

this one is MUCH better

67351033_10220293459155029_8283322322757091328_n
joined Jul 22, 2015

Fuck I knew I was smart to wait to read a proper scanlation. Truly this manga plays gaymes with my heart. But I am so on team Yuu x Touko, and now it seems so is the author.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

this one is MUCH better

I just compared them and agree (almost) entirely. In particular, I thought in the boat scene the key word being “trust” rather than “faith” was much better (“faith” isn’t wrong, but the religious connotation is a little much).

I must admit that I kinda liked the other one for Sayaka’s response to the Yuu-love reveal: “Ah, it’s vexing.” “Frustrating” is perfectly fine; I just happen to like “vexing” as a word.:)

Did you see anything as a major change in meaning?

joined Nov 5, 2017

this one is MUCH better

I just compared them and agree (almost) entirely. In particular, I thought in the boat scene the key word being “trust” rather than “faith” was much better (“faith” isn’t wrong, but the religious connotation is a little much).

I must admit that I kinda liked the other one for Sayaka’s response to the Yuu-love reveal: “Ah, it’s vexing.” “Frustrating” is perfectly fine; I just happen to like “vexing” as a word.:)

Did you see anything as a major change in meaning?

I agree it's pretty much the same (even with different words, they both manage to convey the same meaning).
Except in one line, where kusoshop did a more accurate translation:
"If it's Sayaka, then we can be together" (kuso fansub).
"I feel at ease with you" (4s)
I read the raw and Touko said the first sentence. I don't know why 4s changed it. Not a huge mistake, but considering the image of Touko and Sayaka holding hands, Touko was saying she could see herself dating Sayaka, but "can't and won't choose her" because she chose Yuu, the one she loves.

last edited at Feb 2, 2019 8:47PM

Large
joined Nov 25, 2018

Yuu, no Yuu...love, no love...she find out something so hard by a confession from her best friend? hmmm, i dunno know...i feel that Touko is blind...i really want that she choose Sayaka but well...i preferred that she choose someone less...you know, crazy...(i don't know what word use) But really...i feel this couple so disbalance and i'll be honest...i preffered that Yuu stay along than be with Touko hundred times more...i hate this ToukoxYuu couple but the development is really good...i just want Sayaka found someone less toxic and dumb than Touko is

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

I'll clarify the choice of faith over trust. The original word in Japanese (信頼) can mean both. But in the context of what Sayaka was literally saying "that you would remain the you that I love. It's an expression of faith/trust, I think," what she meant was that she could only hope that Touko would still remain being the person she loves even if she was to change. What Sayaka was hoping for is a lot more arbitrary since in the context of what she was saying, Touko could change for better or for worse and that's kinda out of both of their controls. In that light, we thought that faith conveys that idea better than trust. But yeah, it just comes down to preference and phrasing.

last edited at Feb 2, 2019 9:16PM

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

I think I prefer the 4s version. Granted I don't know Japanese and so can't compare them to the raws, but 4s's version felt more natural versus some of the kuso version felt like it was translated literally so it was awkward sounding.

I also didn't like how kuso translated Sayaka's explanation as "I suppose I can only have faith that you would continue being the person I love" feels a bit vague and kinda conflicting. Like it threw me off because I read it with the meaning of "I hope the person I love doesnt change" lmao.

With 4s's trans (even though I do think some of the wording is a bit convoluted) I think it's clearer how Sayaka is talking about the qualities of the person you love and is what you hope will stay the same even if the person changes.

Edit: okay rereading them again (and blastaar's comment below) I can now see what Sayaka means by "being the person I love" as in "being the person she is still in love with regardless of the changes" and not "being the person who I first fell in love with". I think I still prefer 4s'version, but I understand kuso's version more now.

Man language is complicated.

last edited at Feb 2, 2019 9:46PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I'll clarify the choice of faith over trust. The original word in Japanese (信頼) can mean both. But in the context of what Sayaka was literally saying "that you would remain the you that I love. It's an expression of faith/trust, I think," what she meant was that she could only hope that Touko would still remain being the person she loves even if she was to change. What Sayaka was hoping for is a lot more arbitrary since in the context of what she was saying, Touko could change for better or for worse and that's kinda out of both of their controls. In that light, we thought that faith conveys that idea better than trust. But yeah, it just comes down to preference and phrasing.

You’ll have this when there’s so much overlap in the denotation, and the sense works either way. For me, as I said, “faith” is used so extensively in religious contexts that it carries a bit of weight in a divergent direction that “trust” doesn’t.

In any case, Sayaka’s telling Touko the main thing she has long needed to hear (I’ve been shouting it from the rooftops at Touko like forever, but would Miss Princess listen to me? Noooo—but let Sayaka say it and suddenly she sees the light): people are inevitably going to change, but loving someone means that you anticipate (trust/have faith) that those changes won’t fundamentally change your feelings.

(I am on record in this very forum saying that a person may change in such a way that you like them even better than before. You can look it up.)

And if I should discover that my beloved partner is actually a serial killer, I can tell you right now: we’re done.

Probably. Unless there were good reasons. I’ll listen, at least. Because that’s love.

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

I always say this, I prefer 4s transalation even from the official translation released. Though I thank Kusoshop from translating it fast that helped our thirst to the updated chapter. I saw the raw chapters and read some of it, Kusoshop indeed translated it literally at some point, and couldn’t avoid that some parts turned vague. 4s seems has a way of translating where readers can easy to understand and feel natural. Like in how I prefer Sayaka’s “frustrating” over the word “vexing”. I don’t know, it’s as if it’s more familiar word to those who aren’t really in to English. And “trust” over “faith” though if you translated it literally from Japanese, both are correct. Though, if were talking about a person and supposedly relationship, trust is more appropriate.

All in all, I appreciate both as a reader.

last edited at Feb 2, 2019 9:56PM

joined Nov 5, 2017

For sure , lol. A friend told me that reading yagakimi in English feels very different from reading it in Japanese. Because translations in English (and this language in general) are much more "in your face" compared to Japanese which is more ambiguous and less direct.
Reading something in its native language will always be the best experience but I think Yagakimi especially benefits from this. Because there are so many word choices that draw interesting parallels between chapters and characters, like Yuu and Sayaka's "zurui" (unfair) or Yuu saying "wakaranai" (i don't know/understand) several times in chapters 1 and 35. Not to mention all the Japanese nuances that get lost in translation too...
Will try to reread the whole thing in Japanese one day, paying more attention to the word choices lol

last edited at Feb 2, 2019 9:58PM

Itwouldbe-yuriscans
joined Oct 30, 2018

Boy was this chapter a hell of a ride! Now I can't wait for the next!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

For sure , lol. A friend told me that reading yagakimi in English feels very different from reading it in Japanese. Because translations in English (and this language in general) are much more "in your face" compared to Japanese which is more ambiguous and less direct.
Reading something in its native language will always be the best experience but I think Yagakimi especially benefits from this. Because there are so many word choices that draw interesting parallels between chapters and characters, like Yuu and Sayaka's "zurui" (unfair) or Yuu saying "wakaranai" (i don't know/understand) several times in chapters 1 and 35. Not to mention all the Japanese nuances that get lost in translation too...
Will try to reread the whole thing in Japanese one day, paying more attention to the word choices lol

It’s axiomatic among people I know who are in the translation business (poetry, not manga, but the basic principles are the same) that a translation is always a new work of art, parallel to but by definition not the same as the original.

And it’s far from just the lexical level—English can be made ambiguous and oblique, but the cultural meaning of being ambiguous is (as I understand it) quite different than it is in Japan. Even what seems to be a fairly straightforward concept like “fairness” will resonate differently between a senpai and a kouhai compared to a US high-school junior and a sophomore.

All of which is to say, thanks to all the translators—I’m very grateful for your hard work. (Revised from, “Your hard work is appreciated.”) lol

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Reading something in its native language will always be the best experience but I think Yagakimi especially benefits from this. Because there are so many word choices that draw interesting parallels between chapters and characters.

Yeah, it makes TL a bit difficult when you really want to convey some of the nuances & intentions in the word choices that Nakatani made but also have to make it proper English somehow lol

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Awesome, Sayaka deserves better than to be with someone who is in love with someone else! Touko finally grew a pair and will answer Yuu's feelings? She better cos that's what I want to see even if in real life none of these relationships are really what I'd call healthy and nurturing.

Oh. My. God

Gg
joined Jul 13, 2018

I think I prefer 4s's version.

For example, in page 10 (66), Sayaka was giving a "theory" whether Touko would have still loved her if her appearance had changed.

Kuso's version had "my face was disfigured"
4s used "totally changed how I look"

I swear, Kuso's choice of word sounds creepy as hell.

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

I'M SO GLAD SHE TOOK IT WELL SAYAKA YOU HAVE ALL MY LOVE AND APPRECIATION.

That said, I never once wanted her to win out over Yuu. Like... even given how much I like Yuu. It just wouldn't make sense for the story to go that way. I like Sayaka a lot, and I really want her to be happy. (And it looks like she'll be able to, even after being rejected, so that's awesome,) but at no point, not even during the heartfelt confession last chapter, have I wanted her to end up with Touko. Touko and Sayaka's relationship is really cute and wholesome. But I see their love being its best as a platonic sorta deal. Touko and Yuu have a much more intimate relationship, and while there are things Sayaka gets to know about Touko that Yuu doesn't, vise versa is also true, and Touko x Yuu has always felt more romantic to me. That and like... as a romance story that wouldn't make any sense either. Like to spend the entire manga building Touko and Yuu's relationship, only for Touko to choose the side girl last minute, and end the story there. That'd be kinda disappointing.

Touko/Yuu was always endgame, the story couldn't end any other way. Nakatani Nio could have gone Aoi Hana about this and chosen to drag it out by having Touko accept Sayaka's proposal and date for some more chapters (until she finally realizes her feelings for Yuu). It would have stretched the story by a couple more volumes. I'm glad she didn't, though, the story feels a lot more real this way.

Gg
joined Jul 13, 2018

Can someone explain the "arbitrary faith" (kuso) and the "arrogance" (4s) in page 13?
I just don't get it.

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Can someone explain the "arbitrary faith" (kuso) and the "arrogance" (4s) in page 13?
I just don't get it.

勝手な信頼 だけどね ---> Well, it's just a selfish trust/faith.
Sayaka is acknowledging the selfishness/bizarreness of her trust/faith. As in her hoping that the person she loves can still remain the one she loves even through changes might just be a selfish wish on her part.

joined Sep 6, 2018

How many translators are working on this manga? And how many proof readers are working on this too? (Translation is great, I’m wondering how many people it takes for this level of quality work)

Edit: although I can’t read Japanese, it’s fun to see remarks over discrepancies between two translations of the same chapter by different translators. It’s almost like debating the nuances between two versions of the Bible (such as the NIV and KJV). I’m not interested in the debate in either cases, yet I’m happy to see fans talking about it like scholars chatting about their favorite poetry translated by others of some writer overseas. That’s a good sign the manga is really good, when fans are debating over which translation version should become “canon” in another language.

This manga is very rich in symbolism of its images. I think this work will eventually get a live action version somewhere.

last edited at Feb 3, 2019 1:48AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.