Forum › Bloom Into You discussion

joined Oct 22, 2018

Episode 10 was cute, but… the "Riko trying to kiss Miyako while she's on the phone" scene was funnier in the manga. That's all I have to say.

True.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Touko's YESSSSSS face in the tanzaku scene.

last edited at Dec 8, 2018 3:08PM

joined Oct 22, 2018

So, unfortunately, YagaKimi getting 4th will be difficult, and 3rd even harder. 2nd and 1st? Unfortunately, damn near impossible.

On an off-topic note, I have a question that's been bugging me for 8 hours, so can we, at any of y'all's earliest convenience tomorrow, head to Dynasty Cafe, so I could actually ask it?

joined Oct 22, 2018

A lot of people don't seem to realize that it's impossible not to include politics (in the wider sense, i.e. not restricted to everyday democratic process or lawmaking) in art. Even if an artist sets out to create something with the explicit goal of not taking a poltical side, that is also by itself a political side. Yuri in general is a genre that has always been heavily charged with politics since for starters it depicts something that many people still consider to be unnatural, immoral or unsavory. If it's impossible to create art that isn't political, then this is true about yuri even moreso.

On the on-topic side, I'm very late to the party; I just watched episode 9. Tensions were felt on unexpected levels. It still amazes me that Bloom into You has become a TV series, and a good one at that.

You're only at episode 9? Well, at least you're far ahead of my younger brother...

joined Oct 11, 2018

A lot of people don't seem to realize that it's impossible not to include politics (in the wider sense, i.e. not restricted to everyday democratic process or lawmaking) in art. Even if an artist sets out to create something with the explicit goal of not taking a poltical side, that is also by itself a political side. Yuri in general is a genre that has always been heavily charged with politics since for starters it depicts something that many people still consider to be unnatural, immoral or unsavory. If it's impossible to create art that isn't political, then this is true about yuri even moreso.

On the on-topic side, I'm very late to the party; I just watched episode 9. Tensions were felt on unexpected levels. It still amazes me that Bloom into You has become a TV series, and a good one at that.

You're only at episode 9? Well, at least you're far ahead of my younger brother...

Where are you guys getting the episodes? I can only find episode 2 and not even from a legit source. Please, I need my yuri fix.

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

Where are you guys getting the episodes? I can only find episode 2 and not even from a legit source. Please, I need my yuri fix.

For people not having HiDive or VRV, they either watching it in illegal sites or downloading. There are plenty of it in internet, just google it. Or they just dl it in Horriblesubs that ripping the subs or Asenshi who’re making their own subs. Though I really wish Yagakimi should be in CR, if only they got the license. It’s more easy for me.

last edited at Dec 8, 2018 7:28PM

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

For people not having HiDive or VRV, they either watching it in illegal sites or downloading. There are plenty of it in internet, just google it. Or they just dl it in Horriblesubs that ripping the subs or Asenshi who’re making their own subs. Though I really wish Yagakimi should be in CR, if only they got the license. It’s more easy for me.

Trying to watch anime online legally is kind of a shitshow nowadays with the fragmentation in streaming services. It's basically become cable 2.0 now that you have to buy an increasing number of subscriptions if there's more than a couple of shows you want to watch. For everybody who just refuses to stream illegally or torrent, I guess it's better than nothing, but right now there's no easy "one $10/month subscription for every anime ever" magic bullet.

Meanwhile, I've been waiting for the honorifics patch for the Asenshi release every week.

last edited at Dec 8, 2018 7:50PM

joined Jan 6, 2017

Trying to watch anime online legally is kind of a shitshow nowadays with the fragmentation in streaming services. It's basically become cable 2.0 now that you have to buy an increasing number of subscriptions if there's more than a couple of shows you want to watch. For everybody who just refuses to stream illegally or torrent, I guess it's better than nothing, but right now there's no easy "one $10/month subscription for every anime ever" magic bullet.

This is why you should buy the bluray (and other merch) to support the official product and stream it illegally. Same for manga (I buy the Japanese volumes and read the translations online)

last edited at Dec 8, 2018 8:01PM

joined Oct 11, 2018

This is why you should buy the bluray (and other merch) to support the official product and stream it illegally. Same for manga (I buy the Japanese volumes and read the translations online)

That's what I like to do for videogames I'm ROMing, I've never really considered doing the same with anime though. I think I'll do that after I can find a reliable source for all the episodes.

AS A SIDE NOTE, can we just talk about how beautiful the animation is? The little bit (2 episodes lol) I've seen has excellent cinematography and color direction. The symbolism added to the story is so refreshing and it really exemplifies animation as an art. It's not pretentious, like most artsy anime out there, it's meaningful within its own right. Every symbol presented by the animation is relevant, color direction is very deliberate, and all around it's better than I expected it to be. Like, holy shit this yuri manga I found online while browsing (yes, I browse yuri in my free time all the time) is turning into one of the most beautiful anime I have seen. And that's not to say it looks high budget, I see a lot of scenes that are clearly there to save on money, it looks to me like they spend their animation budget on the emotional scenes to make it hit even harder. I respect what this team has done so much and I'm only two episodes in!

Untitled-1
joined Oct 28, 2018

A lot of people don't seem to realize that it's impossible not to include politics (in the wider sense, i.e. not restricted to everyday democratic process or lawmaking) in art. Even if an artist sets out to create something with the explicit goal of not taking a political side, that is also by itself a political side. Yuri, in general, is a genre that has always been heavily charged with politics since for starters it depicts something that many people still consider to be unnatural, immoral or unsavoury. If it's impossible to create art that isn't political, then this is true about Yuri even more.

I was referring more to authorial intent. I agree that Nakatani has to make some comment on LGBT in order to write the story she wants but, reading the interview EvilDevil posted, I can only come to the conclusion Nakatani was writing it with 'what would be most interesting' rather than 'how can I best represent a particular orientation' in mind.

This means that she is not making a deliberate statement and that trying to guess Yuu's orientation is futile considering neither Nakatani or Yuu are aware of it.

joined Oct 11, 2018

This one in particular though seems somewhat detached from the common political statements often explicitly stated by yuri manga. In many yuri manga, I would dare go so far to say most, the issue of them both being girls is not only a theme, but a conflict as well, as in Japan, same sex marriage is still not legal and only a slight majority of the citizens of Japan are in support of such couples. It makes sense, is understandable, and honestly is one of the things I love about yuri manga. And yes, Bloom Into You briefly mentions the, "we're both girls," situation in a line by Yuu, and the nature of this simply being a yuri manga in general might give a political message, but it's not really a major conflict in the story so far. That's what feels different about Bloom Into You. It's this beautiful craft of character development that seems to detach itself from the political ideals the readers may have. Politics in this brilliant work of art is included, but only incidentally and I think that there is an important distinction between incidental and intended political messages.

joined Oct 27, 2018

I can only come to the conclusion Nakatani was writing it with 'what would be most interesting' rather than 'how can I best represent a particular orientation' in mind.

Nobody was arguing otherwise

This means that she is not making a deliberate statement and that trying to guess Yuu's orientation is futile considering neither Nakatani or Yuu are aware of it.

How do you know Nakatani isn't aware of it? Are you a mind reader?

last edited at Dec 9, 2018 6:17AM

Untitled-1
joined Oct 28, 2018

I can only come to the conclusion Nakatani was writing it with 'what would be most interesting' rather than 'how can I best represent a particular orientation' in mind.

Nobody was arguing otherwise

How do you know Nakatani isn't aware of it? Are you a mind reader?

'Aware' is the wrong word, 'particularly concerned' is better.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Imma let you all keep butting heads, but I just have to share this. I'm not sure if this was posted here before, but you can never post this kind of masterpiece too often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1UO5OE9FaQ

Probably the best YagaKimi MMV I ever saw. Of course using an Aimer song elevates it 10 times over. I don't even know where all the colored pages come from, but seeing the manga in full color is astonishing.

This more than anything until now drives home how much I need a conclusion for this conflict that makes both of them happy...

Untitled-1
joined Oct 28, 2018

Imma let you all keep butting heads, but I just have to share this. I'm not sure if this was posted here before, but you can never post this kind of masterpiece too often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1UO5OE9FaQ

Probably the best YagaKimi MMV I ever saw. Of course, using an Aimer song elevates it 10 times over. I don't even know where all the coloured pages come from, but seeing the manga in full colour is astonishing.

This more than anything until now drives home how much I need a conclusion for this conflict that makes both of them happy...

In case you didn't read it, this is from an interview

Nakatani: It could be said that YagaKimi is approaching the climax, or the last arc. To follow along until the end... eh, is it okay to say something that makes it sound like "it's about to end"? (laugh).

Anyways the serialization in Dengeki Daioh is heading towards the climax. Those who have read up to volume 6 may be worried and thinking "is it going to be alright?" but I believe that I'll be able to show everyone what they want to see, so please follow along!

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Nakatani: It could be said that YagaKimi is approaching the climax, or the last arc. To follow along until the end... eh, is it okay to say something that makes it sound like "it's about to end"? (laugh).

Anyways the serialization in Dengeki Daioh is heading towards the climax. Those who have read up to volume 6 may be worried and thinking "is it going to be alright?" but I believe that I'll be able to show everyone what they want to see, so please follow along!

Er... alright. Thanks? I don't doubt it will end well. I never once even considered this would end badly. Pretty sure one of my very first posts in this thread was that everyone can quote me on that until the end of the manga.

What I meant is that I really can't wait to see this resolved (rather than just hoping that it does at all). That video just really drove home how much I yearn for that. Sorry if that was misleading.

last edited at Dec 9, 2018 8:07AM

joined Oct 27, 2018

This could mean anything from a few months to over a year.

Untitled-1
joined Oct 28, 2018

Nakatani: It could be said that YagaKimi is approaching the climax or the last arc. To follow along until the end... eh, is it okay to say something that makes it sound like "it's about to end"? (laugh).

Er... alright. Thanks? I don't doubt it will end well. I never once even considered this would end badly. Pretty sure one of my very first posts in this thread was that everyone can quote me on that until the end of the manga.

What I meant is that I really can't wait to see this resolved (rather than just hoping that it does at all). That video just really drove home how much I yearn for that. Sorry if that was misleading.

Oh, OK. Don't worry about it.
Edit:
Although in that case, the end won't come for another 11 - 15 months by my estimates. (Nakatani being 80% done, so that would be two more volumes, and the shortest volume being 7 chapters with the longest being 9)

last edited at Dec 9, 2018 8:30AM

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

https://docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/e/2PACX-1vQX6hyTn5qMpgEDM8l23HyiSrpV1qtAyXGPrRvQOJDHvHeWiUbCvECQ8KhJeCi81Q3-ziwuOXT1zzbY/pub

That's a pretty interesting interview! Especially regarding the role of an editor in a manga like this… That little detail about the legs was brilliant!

Also, someone who recommends Blue Giant cannot be a bad person. :þ

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Edit:
Although in that case, the end won't come for another 11 - 15 months by my estimates. (Nakatani being 80% done, so that would be two more volumes, and the shortest volume being 7 chapters with the longest being 9)

Let's not think about that and just enjoy the nice music video, shall we~?

joined Oct 22, 2018

Edit:

Let's not think about that and just enjoy the nice music video, shall we~?

Eh. I don't usually watch AMVs and MMVs, but sure. I'll give it a try.

joined Oct 22, 2018

Thank you @BugDevil, this is the first time in a long while that something beside my own yawning has made me feel my tears in my eyes.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Thank you @BugDevil, this is the first time in a long while that something beside my own yawning has made me feel my tears in my eyes.

I don't make recommendations like that lightly. This one was legitimately amazing. The editing in particular was stunning. It even was the English translation. Aimer can never go wrong either.

Which does beg the question though: Is there some kind of art book with manga panels colored in? I mean it was pretty much pages from the entire manga professionally colorized. Is there a colored print? Was it fans like with the Jojo works?
I'd love to read it.

EDIT: Nevermind... the uploader colored them all on their own. Holy. Shit. Welp... Talent like that will run in open doors.

last edited at Dec 9, 2018 11:21AM

joined Oct 22, 2018

I don't make recommendations like that lightly. This one was legitimately amazing. The editing in particular was stunning. It even was the English translation. Aimer can never go wrong either.

Which does beg the question though: Is there some kind of art book with manga panels colored in? I mean it was pretty much pages from the entire manga professionally colorized. Is there a colored print? Was it fans like with the Jojo works?
I'd love to read it.

EDIT: Nevermind... the uploader colored them all on their own. Holy. Shit. Welp... Talent like that will run in open doors.

Wait, I always thought all people are talented only for certain things... I, for one, find myself as talented of thinking up storylines for mapping series. If anyone wants me to spoil some of these, hit me up at Dynasty Cafe.

To reply you must either login or sign up.