Forum › Bloom Into You discussion

joined Sep 6, 2018

What I enjoyed about this chapter is noticing the difference in how relationships start between two people according to their age. When they’re young, they have to think it all through like inventing the wheel for the first time. As they get older, as seen in this chapter, they’ve been through the rodeo a couple of times and they know where/when to cut the chafe and begin working on building relationships. Even when the friendship has progressed to the point of love, the effort needed to maintain the relationship never wavers, as in the final scene with one partner saying the relationship is still in experimental mode after all those years together.

What’s important to me is deducing that when the two MC’s finally become a couple, their lives will not be lived happily ever after, but a labor of love nonetheless as seen with the adult couple dealing with keeping their relationship quiet and the never ending doubt over the other’s commitment to their relationship.

This adult couple represents the MC’s future and it will be a tough patch to hoe.

Untitled-1
joined Oct 28, 2018

There is an annual award in Japan, ranking the best show of a certain year. In this 523 big ranking, you can vote for up to 3 tv series and 3 anime movies, that came out between the 10/15/17 to the 10/13/18.

Bloom Into You is in that poll, ready to be voted for. So let's do it! Let's help rise the series in the best ones from this year! The title in Japanese for Bloom is: やがて君になる,

Here is the link! https://best100.animefestival.jp/

To vote, you need a Twitter account.

joined Oct 27, 2018

There is an annual award in Japan, ranking the best show of a certain year. In this 523 big ranking, you can vote for up to 3 tv series and 3 anime movies, that came out between the 10/15/17 to the 10/13/18.

Bloom Into You is in that poll, ready to be voted for. So let's do it! Let's help rise the series in the best ones from this year! The title in Japanese for Bloom is: やがて君になる,

Y'know voting in that poll has shown me just how great a year this has been for Yuri. This may actually be the best year Yuri has ever had.

4dcd5e922a6b20d034126d7ff75583f91490791092_large
joined Jan 18, 2016

Y'know voting in that poll has shown me just how great a year this has been for Yuri. This may actually be the best year Yuri has ever had.

agreed! there hasnt been much yuri going around in the past, and we would be blessed if there was even subtle yuri subtext in some anime. however here we are, 2018, yuri there, yuri here, yuri everywhere! lmao

Sshot-8
joined Oct 25, 2011

Well, I tried to make a Twitter account but the moment I did it was instantly locked and Twitter demanded I fill in a captcha and give them my phone number. Like, you want my bank details while you're at it?

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

agreed! there hasnt been much yuri going around in the past, and we would be blessed if there was even subtle yuri subtext in some anime. however here we are, 2018, yuri there, yuri here, yuri everywhere! lmao

It's basically the yuri rennaissance, starting around the time Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid came out.
Aside from anime adaptations, a lot of yuri manga get licensed these days as well. It's really great~

PS: So am I seeing this right, YagaKimi is 6th place? Wow.
Although I find that a vote like that is always biased to more current shows because of emotional investment.

last edited at Dec 5, 2018 10:43AM

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Although I find that a vote like that is always biased to more current shows because of emotional investment.

I think there's some truth to that but considering the top 10, that doesn't seem like a major problem here. The only bias is fujos are too stronk lmao

1. Banana Fish
  2. idolish7
  3. DoriFest! R
  4. SoraYori
  5. Osomatsu-san S2
  6. YagaKimi
  7. Houseki no Kuni
  8. AOT 3
  9. Yowapedal Glory Line
  10. Hataraku Saibou
Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I think there's some truth to that but considering the top 10, that doesn't seem like a major problem here. The only bias is fujos are too stronk lmao

1. Banana Fish
  2. idolish7
  3. DoriFest! R
  4. SoraYori
  5. Osomatsu-san S2
  6. YagaKimi
  7. Houseki no Kuni
  8. AOT 3
  9. Yowapedal Glory Line
  10. Hataraku Saibou

You'd probably not see it in the top spots (those fans are dedicated), but in the middle section. Still a pretty interesting line-up. We got everything from Romance, to sports, to Shounen anime here. AOT 4 will probably be top 3 in next years list tho.

YagaKimi already made a big impact, but I suppose that's natural considering the manga was already popular.

last edited at Dec 5, 2018 1:09PM

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

1. Banana Fish
  2. idolish7
  3. DoriFest! R
  4. SoraYori
  5. Osomatsu-san S2
  6. YagaKimi
  7. Houseki no Kuni
  8. AOT 3
  9. Yowapedal Glory Line
  10. Hataraku Saibou

Just missing the top 10 at #11 is Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight

2017-06-09-10-36-16-
joined Mar 29, 2017

Well, I tried to make a Twitter account but the moment I did it was instantly locked and Twitter demanded I fill in a captcha and give them my phone number. Like, you want my bank details while you're at it?

Thats so that they can send you an automated text if you forget your password or your account is activated in a spot where you aren't normaly. By design your phone number is just a number you can get information thru it but its like your name but thats about the extent unless your carrier just hands that info out. Also it makes things more secure because now they can go thru your carrier rather then an email and email servers are kinda shit. Also your email leads to your ip adress and that leads into your actual adress. Oh shit this isnt a tech fourm..... tits.

Jpeg_20190416_171921
joined May 10, 2018

Just missing the top 10 at #11 is Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight

Oh shoot really? Dang it, so close, but glad it made its way close to the top 10 at least

Unknown%20(3)
joined Jan 3, 2014

Ahhhhh, I finally watched the anime and caught up to the manga. Honestly Nakatani's way of presenting a story has to be the best thing I've ever read in yuri. There's always a level of ambiguity to it that leads the reader to a conclusion instead of outright stating it. It's what makes her characters feel so real. The understated way she draws them and how she chooses to have them express themselves is also realistic. I can really see these characters being real people.

Also the entire drama between Touko, Yuu, and Sayaka is something that's actually done really well. I suppose it's a love triangle but the way it's done actually does them justice. I think one of the reasons I like it so much is because none of them are the antagonist. Everyone has a story and their own reasons for doing things. This extends to the rest of the cast too. Each person has their own thing and they feel like real people. It makes me like everyone instead of just liking the leads.

Also another thing, I didn't think I could relate so hard to Yuu, but she really feels like she's asexual. It's nice to have someone I can relate to, but my favorite character ended up being Sayaka. I feel like she's what I've wanted to see a lesbian character portrayed as, and her struggle to accept herself is also something I can relate too. I just relate to them so much, and it's nice because I don't tend to feel like that for other yuri manga. This has gotten kinda rambly, but I just really love this manga. It just feels so....well written and real.

Also another thing, I didn't think I could relate so hard to Yuu, but she really feels like she's asexual.

I see multiple people stating that she's asexual.
To me the only character who really seems to be asexual is Maki-kun. Huh...
Then again I don't know shit about asexuality. D:

Kachinsky
joined Oct 12, 2016

Bloom into you in a nutshell:
https://youtu.be/wJ8a-8YeTxY

joined Oct 27, 2018

Episode 10 is going to cover three chapters (17, 18, & 19). I don't think this is going to last more than one episode. I'm guessing that episodes 11(20 & 21) and 12 (22 & 23) will each be two episodes, and the finale is going to be just chapter 24 so they have room to make it more like a proper finale. That's just my guess of course.

joined Oct 3, 2014

Also another thing, I didn't think I could relate so hard to Yuu, but she really feels like she's asexual.

Just be careful to not conflate asexuality with aromanticism. With the bit of character intro for Maki, he could be read as both. But Yuu seems to have developed romantic feelings so we can cross one out. Or perhaps she is only Touko-romantic, who knows.

Episode 10 is going to cover three chapters (17, 18, & 19). I don't think this is going to last more than one episode. I'm guessing that episodes 11(20 & 21) and 12 (22 & 23) will each be two episodes, and the finale is going to be just chapter 24 so they have room to make it more like a proper finale. That's just my guess of course.

The anime has been confirmed to have 13 episodes, not 12 episodes.

Unknown%20(3)
joined Jan 3, 2014

Just be careful to not conflate asexuality with aromanticism. With the bit of character intro for Maki, he could be read as both. But Yuu seems to have developed romantic feelings so we can cross one out. Or perhaps she is only Touko-romantic, who knows.

I mean, I read Yuu as ace lesbian and Maki as aroace. Yuu is pretty much me except I do more gay shit which is why I also relate to Sayaka.

joined Oct 27, 2018

What's up with the empty post Shawn?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Shawn’s posts with quotes always look like that. The bottom is usually new content, though.

last edited at Dec 6, 2018 11:58PM

Untitled-1
joined Oct 28, 2018

About labelling Yuu: considering a few interviews from Nakatani I'd assume she was just trying to create a character that hasn't felt love before, which is a common trope, and subvert it slightly by having the character stay out of love initially (unlike manga I've read with this trope).

When trying to do so, her editor found similar real-life stories of people who haven't fallen in love for inspiration. I'd imagine Yuu reads aro/ace because Nakatani used an aro/ace person as a base.

How much Nakatani is even aware of the terms is debatable, however, considering she makes no attempt to actually make comments on sexuality and LGBTQ+ issues beyond what directly applies to the characters (which is mostly just good writing), I don't think Nakatani has a label for her.

In short, there's both little meaning in categorising the orientation of a fictional character (who's confused about that anyway) using what evidence we have and considering Nakatani herself doesn't seem concerned with this we'll never get a confirmation.

I believe Nakatani just wanted to write a story about two girls falling in love in a way that hasn't been explored before and has done a brilliant job of it. In order to do that she just subverts a lot of tropes in a way that could be considered a comment on that situation but, I can't find any evidence of her being LGBT conscious.

P.S. i think labelling is fairly narrow-minded anyway as it's literally just an easy way to fit someone into preconceived ideas without a full exploration of the person. But, that's also the limiting nature of words.

joined Oct 27, 2018

About labelling Yuu: considering a few interviews from Nakatani I'd assume she was just trying to create a character that hasn't felt love before, which is a common trope, and subvert it slightly by having the character stay out of love initially (unlike manga I've read with this trope).

When trying to do so, her editor found similar real-life stories of people who haven't fallen in love for inspiration. I'd imagine Yuu reads aro/ace because Nakatani used an aro/ace person as a base.

How much Nakatani is even aware of the terms is debatable, however, considering she makes no attempt to actually make comments on sexuality and LGBTQ+ issues beyond what directly applies to the characters (which is mostly just good writing), I don't think Nakatani has a label for her.

In short, there's both little meaning in categorising the orientation of a fictional character (who's confused about that anyway) using what evidence we have and considering Nakatani herself doesn't seem concerned with this we'll never get a confirmation.

I believe Nakatani just wanted to write a story about two girls falling in love in a way that hasn't been explored before and has done a brilliant job of it. In order to do that she just subverts a lot of tropes in a way that could be considered a comment on that situation but, I can't find any evidence of her being LGBT conscious.

P.S. i think labelling is fairly narrow-minded anyway as it's literally just an easy way to fit someone into preconceived ideas without a full exploration of the person. But, that's also the limiting nature of words.

You can't find any evidence of her being lgbt conscious? What about Sayaka, just all of Sayaka? Not to mention Maki. Plus, she had said in interviews that she reads a lot of the yuri, and chances are she's read at least some of the more explicitly LGBT works. Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with labels. For many LGBT ppl they are a crucial part of understanding oneself. So long as you don't force them on others they can be great.

Shawn’s posts with quotes always look like that. The bottom is usually new content, though.

Is this better?

Untitled-1
joined Oct 28, 2018

You can't find any evidence of her being LGBT conscious? What about Sayaka, just all of Sayaka? Not to mention Maki. Plus, she had said in interviews that she reads a lot of the yuri, and chances are she's read at least some of the more explicitly LGBT works. Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with labels. For many LGBT ppl, they are a crucial part of understanding oneself. So long as you don't force them on others they can be great.

That's just good character writing, though. Sayaka is attracted to girls so there is, of course, going to be the issue of how that's not 'normally' the case - it just makes sense. It may be just my attitude to representation in media causing a bias though: if they are a good character, then it's probably good representation. I just think a lot of the characters and situations are simply grounded in reality instead of trying to make a statement about LGBT in general.

About the labelling, I meant forcing it was what I don't like - you can decide what to label yourself but, not someone else. A lot of people are saying 'Yuu acts like this, so she must be this' without considering how human emotions are more complicated than that and we don't have the full picture.

Something like Wandering Son is what I'd call a definitive statement (though I'm still in the middle of watching it). Generally Nakatani leaves feeling too vague for me to register it as a statement and not just grounded writing.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Look, the plain fact is that there is no evidence for Yuu being aromantic or asexual. Especially not after the more recent chapters. You can believe what you want, but the opposite is always more likely and at least aromanticism is debunked.

This is first and foremost a story about misconceptions about love, not representation of anything specific.

Is this better?

Do you see these arrows ">" when you quote someone?
Don't write next to them or that text will be part of the quote.

To reply you must either login or sign up.