Forum › Anime season

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

The JoJo5 memes are killing me.
I'm loving it so far, but the "taste of a liar scene" was a bit too fast imo. I kinda like the old ps2 version a bit more.

It's kinda hard to watch Hugtto PreCure with all the crossovers. I think I'll leave it for until I watch the older shows. That ship is really cute.

Insert AiFre generic fanboy comment here
But seriously, Love me Tear are by far the best senpai characters in the series. Also, Pride may be even better than Believe it, which is crazy.

joined Feb 15, 2013

Read a manga recently called Nemuru Baka, but couldn’t find a general manga discussion thread, so just want to write something here to vent frustration.

It was released in 2006, which is ancient in term of acceptance of yuri in mainstream. Hence the story ending was frustrating as heck. Hope to God that we will not go back to that dark age again.

But in summary, it started as a SoL of a pair of college dorm mate kouhai - senpai. The senpai kept claiming that she has no interest in guys, but only in her music career. Toward the end, the senpai moved out to pursue her music career. Timeskip 1 year later, the senpai had a huge debut, invite the kouhai to watch her live, and then suddenly throw half of her career out of the window, singing the song that the kouhai inspired her to compose (called Nemuru Baka - Sleeping idiot), before running away from stage.

And the author just to twist the knife a bit deeper, having the ending of the kouhai sorta referring to the senpai as her ex.

That was the sort of things us yuri fan have to deal with just 10 years ago. So think of ourselves lucky that nowadays director does not avoid happy subtext ending like a plague anymore,

last edited at Nov 7, 2018 6:58PM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

risingstar3110 posted:

Read a manga recently called Nemuru Baka, but couldn’t find a general manga discussion thread

The power of google.

last edited at Nov 8, 2018 9:22AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

That was a really nice Double Decker episode... The twists were good too

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

Uzamaid!! Finally a proper and literal Shoujo Ai anime!!! Real Shoujo Ai!

joined Dec 16, 2013

Uzamaid episode 6 quality go downhill rip.
Studio finally realize they make lolicon anime that not going to sell much.
This waves of lolicon Yuri / shoujo Ai probably Kanna Fault.

joined Dec 16, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_KDbDQeofY

Wataten looking great remind me of that weird angels drop anime.
also lets called one-loli/lolicon yuri Shoujo Ai! that will be funny.

last edited at Nov 15, 2018 3:22AM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Started watching Zombieland. This shit is hilarious! I'm laughing entire time.

--itou-chika-and-matsuoka-miu-ichigo-mashimaro-drawn-by-shinjiro--sample
joined Jan 1, 2014

Oh god, I dont think I hate a character this season, no this year, as much as that class S bitch in bloom into you.

In the running for most hated character of the '10s.

Started watching Zombieland. This shit is hilarious! I'm laughing entire time.

Just wait till the drama kicks in full gear.
Not ment as criticism.

last edited at Nov 24, 2018 7:42AM

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/BrandenHarned/status/1066215291942653952

so apparently crunchyroll done a goof.
I'm just gonna go end myself rn I don't know why I thought I would actually get any representation and have it not be lies like always

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Rosenakahara posted:

I'm just gonna go end myself rn I don't know why I thought I would actually get any representation and have it not be lies like always

Wow, I can see Lily being trans, but it not being explicitly stated, but wow, changing translation to fit your interpretation, that is just bs. I thought it only affected their dub and not sub. I don't go out of my way to find CR subs, but nowadays most sites simply use their translation. Damn now it made me want to be more aware of it and avoid their translations...

EDIT/ Wait, but then what about facial hair scene and her dying of mental shock? How does this fit into her not being trans?

last edited at Nov 24, 2018 8:42AM

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

Rosenakahara posted:

Wow, I can see Lily being trans, but it not being explicitly stated, but wow, changing translation to fit your interpretation, that is just bs. I thought it only affected their dub and not sub. I don't go out of my way to find CR subs, but nowadays most sites simply use their translation. Damn now it made me want to be more aware of it and avoid their translations...

On second thought maybe not, going through this guys tweets they're very clearly "anti SJW" and I found a different interpretation that heavily supports lily being actually trans.
https://twitter.com/tropicalesque/status/1066133526146367488?s=09

Maybe CR just changed it so it was more obvious to non japanese audiences?

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Rosenakahara posted:

Rosenakahara posted:

On second thought maybe not, going through this guys tweets they're very clearly "anti SJW" and I found a different interpretation that heavily supports lily being actually trans.

Yea, now that I think about it, her being trans didn't really clash with presentation of the anime. I wasn't paying that much attention to jps dialogue, but it didn't feel like translation was off. And stuff like being forever young and never change or her dying of mental shock from growing facial hair, just doesn't fit to "I simply dislike my name". I'd need to rewatch this episode and actually pay attention what characters are saying, but it really didn't seem off for Lily to be trans.

last edited at Nov 24, 2018 8:48AM

joined Mar 5, 2016

so that's the viewpoint based on second-hand information of one person who is angry about "western progressives", which i'm going to take with a fistful of salt.

edit: yeah it's not like anime reactionaries are above lying to stir things up.

last edited at Nov 24, 2018 8:48AM

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

Rosenakahara posted:

Rosenakahara posted:

Yea, now that I think about it, her being trans didn't really clash with presentation of the anime. I wasn't paying that much attention to jps dialogue, but it didn't feel like translation was off. And stuff like being forever young and never change or her dying of mental shock from growing facial hair, just doesn't fit to "I simply dislike my name". I'd need to rewatch this episode and actually pay attention what characters are saying, but it really didn't seem off for Lily to be trans.

Yeah, I was watching the episode as I was reading the thread I just linked, if you remove Lily being trans from the equation much of this episode and also the credits wouldn't really make much of any sense.
If Lily was just a regular anime trap the name in the credits would have been Masao-kun

joined Jan 6, 2017

The Japanese dialogue does seem to indicate Lily being trans (I'm not very good at Japanese, so don't quote me on that). In many other languages it's harder to express being trans, since many languages don't focus as much on gender.
In Japanese your name and 1st person singular pronoun are the biggest clues. Since Lily uses Lily as her name, and uses "Lily" as a pronoun, it already indicates her being trans.

last edited at Nov 24, 2018 9:02AM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Rosenakahara posted:

If Lily was just a regular anime trap the name in the credits would have been Masao-kun

Idk, I think they would credit trap character by name they are using, but it is irrelevant anyway.

Ok so I checked again. She complains father only cares about Lily that appears on TV and not real her. She was throwing a fit that she grown leg hair and it was recorded on TV. When father said it was just sign of her growing up, she said she will never grown up. Father says "you can't look like that forever". She says she can and doesn't want to look like father. Died from mental shock, because she saw black facial hair, which we can clearly see as well. Saki laughs when hearing she died because of mustache. When asked what happens now, she replies that "From now on Lily will be Lily. Zombie don't grow up after all. There is nothing to be scared off anymore." When asking manager if he know, he asks "What? Does that mean Masao can't be anymore in their female idol group then?" Then they droll over her talk how cute she is and how they never noticed despite spending so much time next to each other. Saki speaks in dialect, so catching her is a bit harder, but if I got it right, she says something like "Who cares? Whatever she has something attached or not." CR went with junk, which is pretty fitting here imo. And they again talk how they're zombie and will never change so "Lily is Lily. We're never going to change."

So yea. Upon reflection CR translation was spot on and it really just feel like some transphobic person throwing a fit, because they didn't like having trans character in their animu.

last edited at Nov 24, 2018 11:46AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

So the deal was that even thought the word itself was never used, it fits the character so is all good either way, right? I can understand both sides of the arguments but I do agree that is pretty stupid to complain like that and call it an insult to the creator when is obviously something that bothers him in a personal level.

I understand why she refers to herself in third person all the time, they wanted to keep it secret if she used atashi or boku... But I should've seen it coming, when you see a character trying extra hard to appear moe, is probably cross-dressing.

Also yeah I cried too! this anime is the surprise of the season... Nice bird

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

So the deal was that even thought the word itself was never used, it fits the character so is all good either way, right? I can understand both sides of the arguments but I do agree that is pretty stupid to complain like that and call it an insult to the creator when is obviously something that bothers him in a personal level.

I understand why she refers to herself in third person all the time, they wanted to keep it secret if she used atashi or boku... But I should've seen it coming, when you see a character trying extra hard to appear moe, is probably cross-dressing.

Well, she can't say the word itself because that word does not exist in the Japanese language, they don't have any word for transgender at all.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Serenata posted:

To be frank, Lily being trans is pretty blatant in this episode, whatever word trans is used or anyone specifically spells it out. I would hesitate to even say it was only subtlety suggested. And translation was 100% correct, so it was all in the text, so that person claiming it wasn't and CR was twisting the meaning to something else, was a complete lie to support their stand. Also like person from twitter that Rosenakahara linked said, word transgender doesn't even exist in japan in the first place and isn't something commonly used, so them not using it isn't trying to keep things ambiguous. Sure, Lily never said "I want to be a girl", but considering everything else she said (and dying from shock of growing facial hair), can you really say otherwise?

Well, she could simply use watashi, but it would probably be still seen as more girly. And talking about yourself in third person is not that weird. For teenagers it would look as if they try to appear cuter and maybe a bit pretentious, but it is very common thing for kids to do, especially girls. Also I noticed it is also pretty common with trans characters, as a way to constantly affirm their new name and put focus on it, so people will use it. Also she wasn't really trying to act more moe, she acts like very energetic kid, which is not weird for her age as well as she is using a very feminine and childish way of talking. To me it appears more as just her natural personality.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Rosenakahara posted:

Well, she can't say the word itself because that word does not exist in the Japanese language, they don't have any word for transgender at all.

It won't take long https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-10-28/modern-teen-japanese-dictionary-explains-latest-slang-adds-gender-inclusive-language/.138485

Untitled
joined May 8, 2013

It's people like that that make me so frustrated. Anytime a show has a character that's not straight it's part of "an agenda" or "shoehorned in." This episode was really bittersweet and her situation was not "in your face" or pushing an agenda. Hell...how many kids go through situations like this (maybe not death by facial hair) and it gets brushed under the rug or used as a joke in shows. This show (which is a comedy) actually took the situation and treated it fairly seriously. And how did the characters in the show react....her gender ultimately didn't matter. Lily was Lily. Reading through the garbage people have been spewing about the She-ra reboot and now this episode makes me want to bang my head on the desk repeatedly.

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

About the person claiming that CR translated it wrong:
https://twitter.com/Xythar/status/1066356199199662085

You can question if Lily was written as trans or a crossdresser. But you can't deny she was born as a boy. This was RT by the official account:
https://twitter.com/ShugoAbc/status/1065634430541156353
It says she's a "male". A "chara male", which seems to be a slang to her kind of character.
I think we need to consider the culture of the place where the twitter was written here. I do believe she was written as a trans, but most people in Japan probably don't get it.

Anyway, Lily being trans is up to debate. Lily being born as a boy is fact.

And again, just to show how that was obvious in japanese, too:
https://twitter.com/VankyVank/status/1065660258205360129
"She was a boy?"
"No, she is an "otokonoko"".
It actually makes more sense in Japanese, but okay.

last edited at Nov 24, 2018 2:15PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I thought they would use the term otokonoko over there, anyway... If she wants to be called Lily and act like a girl, then Lily it is.

"This is my friend's account" Oh my God... Just turn off your phone or make your account private, take a break instead or making things worse.

last edited at Nov 24, 2018 4:36PM

joined Dec 16, 2013

what mistranslations? seriously what!

To reply you must either login or sign up.