Forum › Cycling Under a Starlit Sky discussion

joined Jan 30, 2013

Yes! More Otsu Hiyori!
(I haven't even read it yet.)

last edited at Apr 1, 2013 7:11AM

Yayoi
joined Jan 31, 2013

I just love everything by Otsu Hiyori:D another one going into my favorite list!

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Same here, I love Otsu Hiyori's stuff. Also happy this is one of their happy-ending ones, the bittersweet ones are good but I like these sorts better.

palakangorange
Witch
joined Feb 24, 2013

great job Yuri Girl 1001! this story is just so perfect for me - bicycle and stars, cute.

joined Nov 11, 2010

Holy crap! You have no idea how long I've been waiting to read this one. I love Otsu Hiyori, and Your Cuteness is a freakin' awesome yuri collection. Whenever I looked at the table of contents page and saw this story it always left me dying to be able to read it.

The story itself also doesn't disappoint. I wonder why Lilicious skipped it way back when. The characters in this one are totally hnnnngh-worthy...man Otsu Hiyori is great.

Many thanks to Fly by Yuri for doing this! Dunno how long this one-person scanlation group will last, but I'll gladly look forward to anything else released by them.

Kocchi
joined Mar 23, 2013

wah i want more D: they're cute :3

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Omg, I thought it was another joke. Glad that it isn't! Been a while since there was something new from Otsu Hiyori.

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013

D'awwww!

230px-ray_the_animation
joined Feb 2, 2013

me too...

i'd like to read more of hiyori, i love this author drawing and storytelling

yuri girl 1001 is great! next project is by hakamada mera, an other of my favorites

last edited at Apr 1, 2013 2:04PM

Al%c5%afskd
joined Jul 4, 2012

Mangas from Hiyori are trully great.
I don't like when main characters have familiar names. I keep forgeting who's who..

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

Thank you all for the wonderful comments, though of course 99% of the credit goes to Otsu Hiyori.

Just letting you know, after having received some feedback on this, I will probably be doing some revisions and re-posting in a week or two. This was my first effort after all. There should only be minor changes.

last edited at Apr 1, 2013 5:20PM

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

Holy crap! You have no idea how long I've been waiting to read this one. I love Otsu Hiyori, and Your Cuteness is a freakin' awesome yuri collection. Whenever I looked at the table of contents page and saw this story it always left me dying to be able to read it.

The story itself also doesn't disappoint. I wonder why Lilicious skipped it way back when. The characters in this one are totally hnnnngh-worthy...man Otsu Hiyori is great.

And that is exactly why I chose this for Fly by Yuri's first project.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

I'm really glad that Otsu Hiyori was chosen. Definitely one of my favorite collections. I thought it was well done for a first scanlation, and my greedy eyes didn't have any issues with how it read.

Also, Makoto's bike helmet is cute.

joined Apr 2, 2013

Just letting you know, after having received some feedback on this, I will probably be doing some revisions and re-posting in a week or two. This was my first effort after all. There should only be minor changes.

Honestly this needs more than just minor changes. Pretty much every sentence needs to be reworded. The English is stilted and odd, losing a lot of meaning.
Since what you posted here looks perfectly fine I'm guessing you just tried to translate too literally, which is pretty common when people start out. Might be good to have someone else look over the script before editing, or just make an effort to avoid such things.

Kocchi
joined Mar 23, 2013

Thank you all for the wonderful comments, though of course 99% of the credit goes to Otsu Hiyori.

• you've done a nice job, keep up the good work. and thankies a lot for this :D thumbs up
St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Realy enjoyed this 1 - thanks:) Otsu Hiyori is one of my favourites - maple love might be my fav one-shot.

joined Mar 25, 2013

I love Otsu Hiyori, and I understand that this is your first one, but some of the sentences confused me.I understood them but I had to think them through.As orzz said the sentences need to be reworded other than that great job and I'm hoping we'll get to see some more of Otsu Hiyori from you :]

Maple_love
joined Feb 18, 2013

<3

Whome2
joined Apr 2, 2013

Hey there. I really did enjoy this story. I'm kinda in the same boat as everyone else when it comes to stuff by Otsu Hiyori (gotta love all the stories). I'm also and editor-- well, former editor. I've turned into freelance editor after I quit being part of a scanlation group ages ago and mostly only edit when a new work interests me and a translator friend of mine.

In any case, I've been editing for a really long time (since '08, I think?) and came here to congratulate you on entering the scary but really rewarding world of scanlation. Orzz is pretty accurate when saying that you should rework a few sentences, though I can't comment too much on the translation aspect of it (I only go as far as proofreading/QC when it comes to translations and even then I freely admit I'm pretty bad at spotting things when they sound funny).

Speaking in terms of editing... not to sound too critical or anything, but almost all the text needs to be redone. The words are too large and pretty much struggle to fit inside the bubble. Not only is that not too easy on the eyes, but some of the smaller text (like the first page 2nd panel text "that color is...") just doesn't fit too well because of the large text to bubble ratio. Again, I don't want to come off as an overcritical jerk telling you that you did everything wrong. In the same vein, this is your very first project so a lot of these small mistakes (funny sounding sentences, unpolished editing) can be forgiven. Especially considering that you did a VERY good job (the redrawing was amazing, for example) despite it being your first edit/translation. Heck you were a lot better than me when I first started out.

In any case, I'm going to stop writing a gigantic novel to you. You did a great job and I really enjoyed the story and I do eagerly await your next project (although not your very next one since I'm not the biggest fan of Hakameda Mera... [don't throw rocks at me guys, pls!]). I mostly created this account and posted to the forums (I rarely use the Dynasty Forums. I like to just mooch off their reader to read pretty yuri manga.) to spread my cheers and see if you had an email or something I could keep in contact with you with. I know you don't really want any help, so I just wanted to let you know that if you have any questions or whatever you had someone to ask.

tl;dr you amaze me, yo. Can i have your #?

(sorry that i wrote a full length novel, guys ;A;)

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

I love Otsu Hiyori, and I understand that this is your first one, but some of the sentences confused me.I understood them but I had to think them through.As orzz said the sentences need to be reworded other than that great job and I'm hoping we'll get to see some more of Otsu Hiyori from you :]

Everything else I have by Otsu Hiyori is already posted on this site. I will see if I can find something new next time I order from Japan.

I appreciate the feedback from Orzz and Yoori. I have received quit a bit of feedback, so here is exactly what is planned on the revision:
Use new, more appropriate fonts. Reduce the text size to approximately what is commonly used. Re-write where needed to make the language smoother and more understandable (I did translate very literally, I'm too used to Japanese). Add punctuation where it is omitted. Edit the wordless bubbles that I skipped. Replace repetitive name use with pronouns and smoother language. Drop the romanji "baka," I'm told it is in poor taste. And last and most time consuming, clean the images further. I may cut this one short to get it back faster.

I thank Yoori for the editing praise, but it took time effort and learning to get to that point, and I have a ways to go yet. For instance, the two page spread was pretty bad on my first redraw. Then, after I had done more and learned more, I went back and redraw it again from the begining. Then still later, I redraw again starting from the second redraw, and of course continued to make small changes for a while. What is posted here is effectively already the forth or fifth revision.

last edited at Apr 3, 2013 8:33AM

joined Nov 11, 2010

I appreciate the feedback from Orzz and Yoori. I have received quit a bit of feedback, so here is exactly what is planned on the revision:
...Re-write where needed to make the language smoother and more understandable (I did translate very literally, I'm too used to Japanese).

Haha, it's pretty funny, because I didn't have any trouble understanding/even notice that there was anything awkward about the translation on my first reading, maybe because I'm too used to Japanese too. It just made total sense to me. So I just wanted to say that, although you've received a lot of constructive criticism and there is definitely a lot of room to improve, you've already done a lot to deserve appreciation with what you've put out so far.

Whome2
joined Apr 2, 2013

Haha, it's pretty funny, because I didn't have any trouble understanding/even notice that there was anything awkward about the translation on my first reading, maybe because I'm too used to Japanese too. It just made total sense to me. So I just wanted to say that, although you've received a lot of constructive criticism and there is definitely a lot of room to improve, you've already done a lot to deserve appreciation with what you've put out so far.

Well, no. The translation isn't so bad that I can't understand anything at all. While you can tell the translation definitely leans more on the Japanese structure and meaning, I've seen far worse (not to call anyone out, but CGrascal is a serious offender when it comes to terrible literal translations). It isn't so literal that if there needs to be a new revision uploaded RIGHT NOW. It's sorta like... "Hey yeah, that makes perfect sense but that's not how you would normally say it".

Like the first page, for example. "Won't you be late if you don't run?" Makes perfect sense and it's totally fine, but you would normally hear people say something like "Won't you be late if you don't hurry?". Means pretty much the same thing but it just kinda flows out of the mouth more smoothly. And maybe "astronautical observation" to "star gazing". Either is fine, but the latter is better. In fact the only line that really bothered me was on page 3 (the left side of the two page spread) where Momo talks about Mako's math troubles. That was the only line that had me re-read it again to understand it. All this being said, I'm also stupid and don't deal directly with the translating portion when I work on stuff so feel free to ignore everything I said if you disagree.

I thank Yoori for the editing praise, but it took time effort and learning to get to that point, and I have a ways to go yet. For instance, the two page spread was pretty bad on my first redraw. Then, after I had done more and learned more, I went back and redraw it again from the begining. Then still later, I redraw again starting from the second redraw, and of course continued to make small changes for a while. What is posted here is effectively already the forth or fifth revision.

I praise you for the fact that though you have a long way to go, you're already quite far ahead. I've worked with people who've edited many many doujins/manga and they couldn't even do the simpler redraws (textures) let alone do what you've done so yeah I give praise where praise is due. Heck, you're arguably better than me. If there's any knowledge that I want to pass on to newer editors, it's that redrawing is something you will never get right on your first time. There is always something that needs to be redone. Maybe that line you redrew is 1px thicker than the other lines. Maybe that screentone is a tad darker than the others. Maybe you didn't align the dots in a pattern perfectly. A typical redraw (actual redraw of hair/fingers/body/etc.) takes at least 3 layers for me and I'm constantly going back before I send it out as acceptable. In fact, one of the biggest reasons I love going freelance is that I can take as much time with getting the editing just perfect whereas when I worked in a scanlation group, I was getting pressured to turn in subpar edits in under a week due to time constraints. There really isn't a single perfect way to redraw and it's one of the big things I've noticed every editor be different on. Everyone has their own method of redrawing and the fact that you take the time to go back and check on it shows that you care a lot about your work and that's a good thing.It's very normal that I open up the same .psd file at least 3 times to tweak something. My translator has to actually repeatedly convince me that a page looks good before I relent.

So yeah, no worries that you look over your stuff over and over. That's normal. I don't think a single editor ever finishes up a page once and calls it perfect. For fonts, it's really personal presence mixed with how the text in the RAW looks. When in doubt, you can never go wrong with Wild Words though I would much rather see you use other fonts. But it looks like I got gently turned down on getting any contact information :P

Page-11
Dynasty Scans
joined Feb 14, 2011

I was totally going to write my own 12 paragraphs on this, but you guys already covered it.
Less work for me! Yay!

Troid Uploader
Wheels150
Payapaya Scans
joined Jan 28, 2013

Reminded me of Uso Kurata's Present, but then, the "selfishly wishing something ill on a love interest" theme is a bit overdone in general. Cute, though.

this is a scanlation group with just one member
we are not recruiting
we

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

Yeah, sorry for the Royal, I mean group president, we. I am ashamed.

Well anyway, putting that aside, though I'm still nitpicking my fonts, the work looks to go faster than I thought. The revision should be turned in by tomorrow, or at the latest Saturday. And yes, when I looked closer, I had overlooked several font changes, so that will be fixed also.

To reply you must either login or sign up.