Forum › A Love Letter for the Marching Puppy discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It should come with a disclaimer. Don't try this at home, kids.

Yeah, it remains to be seen whether there’s a really good way to address that “The Majority of Awesome Romantic Leads in World Fiction Would Be Psychopathic Stalkers, Delusional Obsessives, Serial Sexual Assailants, and A Whole Panoply of Other Assorted Miscreants If They Tried That Shit in Real Life” problem.

We can start with Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Sorry--I wasn't being clear. Comics don't move, so they don't have slow motion--they just break a given event into more panels. So the last panel on page 146 and the first one on 147 could be seen as near-simultaneous, and the bottom two on 147 definitely are. I'm not going to claim that the scene adheres to strict real-world time, but throw in some extreme foreshortening to get the slowly approaching boar into the same panels as the characters, and the plausibility meter barely budges.

Again, if you don't like how it was done, cheers. And you're right that boars/feral swine are no joke--they're very, very fast. I'd just assume that as it got closer the boar got a good look at how cute the girls are and let them off the hook.

Let's just say that the "internal chronology" here flatly does no add up. The boar starts out like under ten meters away and is already moving by the time Inu about-faces and starts going up the tree; teh Wiki tells me those critters can clock 40 km/h and near as I'm aware have excellent acceleration characteristics so, yeah. (They can apparently also leap as high as a good one and half meters...)
By the time she actually got up to the tree and had time to turn around Kagami should already be getting gored - or, if she actually kept watching the boar like a sensible person and managed to dodge, the boar would be smashing headfirst into the tree...

Either way my actual gripe with the whole episode is that it's basically completely unnecessary on top of being handled so haphazardly.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Either way my actual gripe with the whole episode is that it's basically completely unnecessary on top of being handled so haphazardly.

LOL. Since you didn't buy my "Indou and Kagami are too cute to gore" theory, let's try:

• Boar-san wasn't really going for them all-out--it was just fucking with them to see the funny expressions they'd make.

• Boars always look more enraged than they actually are because of RBF (Resting Boar Face).

• The boar was distracted at the last second by the snake.

(But Indou and Kagami really are too cute to gore.)

joined Jul 26, 2016

Necessary reminder that boars are, like, half blind, man. "-- its eyesight is comparatively weak, lacking colour vision and being unable to recognise a standing human 10–15 metres away" to brazenly copypasta from Wiki. :/

Funfact: the buggers eat snakes and have evolved similar venom resistance as the more famous "snake eaters" (mongooses, honey badgers, hedgehogs...). Gay Chinese comics making me learn new stuff again.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Necessary reminder that boars are, like, half blind, man. "-- its eyesight is comparatively weak, lacking colour vision and being unable to recognise a standing human 10–15 metres away" to brazenly copypasta from Wiki. :/

Funfact: the buggers eat snakes and have evolved similar venom resistance as the more famous "snake eaters" (mongooses, honey badgers, hedgehogs...). Gay Chinese comics making me learn new stuff again.

See, see? The boar was like, “Woman screaming, gettin’ on my nerves. I’m going for it—wait, snake! Fuck snakes! Snake, you dead! Now, where them other things go . . .?”

WilhelmvonVladisnoff
joined May 4, 2018

This is so sweet. Why are girls in Uniforms so cute. Are there any others like it? Does anyone know if this is completed in the jp version?

joined Jul 26, 2016

See, see? The boar was like, “Woman screaming, gettin’ on my nerves. I’m going for it—wait, snake! Fuck snakes! Snake, you dead! Now, where them other things go . . .?”

Not pictured: gruesome crunching sounds as the boar happily munches on the hapless snake

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

This is so sweet. Why are girls in Uniforms so cute. Are there any others like it? Does anyone know if this is completed in the jp version?

Cute girls in non-school uniforms? I’d recommend Sound of the Sky (So Ra No Wo To). It’s about 5 girls in the army and they look really cute in their uniforms. There isn’t explicit yuri, like in this manga, but there is strong subtext. The manga is only 2 volumes, but the anime is great

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Is a surprise kiss really a bad thing? Hmm...

What, you trying to start a 25-page debate over whether grabbing and kissing a girl without first asking for permission is ok or not?

It depends on many things -- context, circumstance, your relationship with her, the things said at the time, all that happens before and after the kiss. Most of all, what's on her mind about it.

In the end, she judges it. It's her decision whether it's ok or not.

joined Oct 8, 2018

I just started in chapter 1. Did Oobasan just raped her in the public bath? Or has my imagination gone wild???? I wish there are more details on the public bath!!!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I just started in chapter 1. Did Oobasan just raped her in the public bath? Or has my imagination gone wild???? I wish there are more details on the public bath!!!

There’s something weird in the translation, I believe. I saw a second translation that implied Ooba that was saying something like, “Let me do your hair,” rather than “Let me touch you [in your delectable young XXXX and your budding XXXXs!”]

joined Dec 28, 2016

It should come with a disclaimer. Don't try this at home, kids.

I find it interesting the drastic shift media/social perception has taken in the last 10-odd years or so where unwanted one-time kisses went from innocent to utterly sinister. It's like whiplash things changed so fast and people even act as if it's always been this way.

last edited at Oct 17, 2018 2:51AM

Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

There’s something weird in the translation, I believe. I saw a second translation that implied Ooba that was saying something like, “Let me do your hair,” rather than “Let me touch you [in your delectable young XXXX and your budding XXXXs!”]

Makes more sense that she meant she was going to fix Indou's hair rather than assault her, but then why did Indou react by saying, "Not there!"?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Makes more sense that she meant she was going to fix Indou's hair rather than assault her, but then why did Indou react by saying, "Not there!"?

The other translation says,

Ooba: “Please let me tease you!!”

Indou: “Huh? Eh?”

“W-what’s going . . “

“Wait”

“T-That place is.”

So I take it “tease” could have something to do with hair, and Indou’s response is intentionally a bit of a double entendre. Then two pages later Indou mentions Ooba and getting her hair trimmed.

Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

I get it now. "Tease" makes it into a pun where at first it seems like she felt her up, before you learn a few pages later that she actually just combed her hair. Assuming she didn't do both.

joined Jun 5, 2018

I like military girl xD More~

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I get it now. "Tease" makes it into a pun where at first it seems like she felt her up, before you learn a few pages later that she actually just combed her hair. Assuming she didn't do both.

I suspect that Ooba might not be entirely disinclined toward some “maiden” action, but she’s too much of a Big Sis to be rash (not to mention assaultive) about it with a total newbie.

But that Cadet Academy certainly has got some thirsty sempai.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Sounds about right if the usual running gags about the military over here are to be believed, tbh. :d

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

By the way, does anyone happen to know where the term "thirsty" comes from as describing sexual desire? Is it specific to Dynasty? To yuri manga slang? To manga/anime generally? I get what it means, just curious about its origins.

Googling "thirsty lesbians" is, um, not especially . . .useful in regard to my specific, um, research question. At the moment.

Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

^2000's American slang for wanting sex.

last edited at Oct 17, 2018 12:34PM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

It depends on many things -- context, circumstance, your relationship with her, the things said at the time, all that happens before and after the kiss. Most of all, what's on her mind about it.

In the end, she judges it. It's her decision whether it's ok or not.

In that case, it's the same as it has been for centuries and millenia. You take a risk, and either she likes it and the risk pays off or she doesn't like it and you're in trouble.

In Kagami's case, she prolly screwed up. Because...

Remember how in Marimite an older girl would make a younger girl her "petite soeur" and protect her and dote on her? Well, this military school has a similar tradition: a sempai can make a kohai her "maiden" and enjoy a privileged relationship with her. And in chapters 6 and 7 we find that...

A very confused Shinobu is trying to understand why she was kissed by Kagami. She hears about the "maiden" tradition and thinks that, hey, that must be the explanation: Kagami has taken her as a maiden, and that's the reason for the display of affection! She goes to Kagami hoping to confirm it... and Kagami says NO, she doesn't want Shinobu as a maiden. But, but, but... why the kiss, then? And Kagami replies that it was because she damn felt like it -- when she wants to kiss someone, she just does it, and doesn't accept any responsibility for it. >_<

joined Oct 8, 2018

The other translation says,

Ooba: “Please let me tease you!!”

Indou: “Huh? Eh?”

“W-what’s going . . “

“Wait”

“T-That place is.”

So I take it “tease” could have something to do with hair, and Indou’s response is intentionally a bit of a double entendre. Then two pages later Indou mentions Ooba and getting her hair trimmed.

Hmmmm..... my imagination was still in the gutter.... But based on how Indou reacted when she see Ooba again, it doesn’t seems like she did anything obscene to her yet....

last edited at Oct 18, 2018 6:11AM

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

A gesture of affection by someone you like, and who likes you, shouldn't be a target for vilification. The whole notion is just plain wrong.

A healthy reaction would be something like this (by someone who was surprise-kissed a lot):

Hyewon%20blush-1%2041
joined Dec 15, 2013

Remember how in Marimite an older girl would make a younger girl her "petite soeur" and protect her and dote on her? Well, this military school has a similar tradition: a sempai can make a kohai her "maiden" and enjoy a privileged relationship with her. And in chapters 6 and 7 we find that...

A very confused Shinobu is trying to understand why she was kissed by Kagami. She hears about the "maiden" tradition and thinks that, hey, that must be the explanation: Kagami has taken her as a maiden, and that's the reason for the display of affection! She goes to Kagami hoping to confirm it... and Kagami says NO, she doesn't want Shinobu as a maiden. But, but, but... why the kiss, then? And Kagami replies that it was because she damn felt like it -- when she wants to kiss someone, she just does it, and doesn't accept any responsibility for it. >_<

I should not have read that spoiler... but I wonder if Kagami just hates the idea of the maiden thing or if she just isn't honest about her own feelings? She does say she won't let anyone else have Shinobu, and I just don't get the feeling that she kissed Shinobu just because she felt like it, there's gotta be something more. Ooba's reaction to Kagami tutoring Shinobu is quite telling about how this is clearly unusual behaviour for Kagami, too. As a hopeless yuri optimist I guess I'll just keep hoping...

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

I should not have read that spoiler... but I wonder if Kagami just hates the idea of the maiden thing or if she just isn't honest about her own feelings? She does say she won't let anyone else have Shinobu, and I just don't get the feeling that she kissed Shinobu just because she felt like it, there's gotta be something more. Ooba's reaction to Kagami tutoring Shinobu is quite telling about how this is clearly unusual behaviour for Kagami, too. As a hopeless yuri optimist I guess I'll just keep hoping...

I think that's just Kagami being tsuntsun. ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°) This sort of thing, doing something that reveals you have feelings for someone (because you were nice, affectionate, etc.) and then falsely claiming that you had a selfish motive, or that you acted at random and without caring, is 100% typical tsundere behavior!

last edited at Oct 20, 2018 12:57PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.