Forum › Killing Me! discussion

joined Mar 15, 2017

It wasn't axed. In that print the magazine makes it clear it was the author's decision to end the manga. The author herself apologizes below. So it has nothing to do with sales or reception. I think the manga was actually well received.

Now why the author choose to cancel it, we might never know.

It is still correct to say it was axed. And it's not impossible the author's decision relates to sales.

last edited at Jul 27, 2018 9:48AM

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

It wasn't axed. In that print the magazine makes it clear it was the author's decision to end the manga. The author herself apologizes below. So it has nothing to do with sales or reception. I think the manga was actually well received.

Now why the author choose to cancel it, we might never know.

It is still corrected to say it was axed. And it's not impossible the author's decision relates to sales.

Volume one is still on sale. It would be stupid to cancel it because of that. A lot of manga only gets popular after some few number of volumes. I would guess the author found another opportunity where she can earn more/something she likes more and decided to pursue that instead. She does end with "might we meet again", what suggest she'll keep doing manga and I wouldn't be surprised if she's already working on something else.

Anyway, axed would imply the magazine forced her to cancel. If it was her own choice, she had enough room to at least finish a second volume and give it a proper end. Maybe it was circumstances beyond her control, like diseases or something, what's understandable. But if she shows up with a new story soon after this, I wouldn't trust her again.

joined Mar 15, 2017

Volume one is still on sale. It would be stupid to cancel it because of that. A lot of manga only gets popular after some few number of volumes.

Decisions being taken to cancel a series on the initial sales of the 1st volume is how the industry operates for most series.

Anyway, axed would imply the magazine forced her to cancel.

It's maybe natural to develop the idea it carries that implication, but that's not really right.

If it was her own choice, she had enough room to at least finish a second volume and give it a proper end.

Even if an publisher offered that chance, and they normally do, I can imagine a mangaka might decide not to continue a series if their royalties don't make it worth it, or even financially affordable, so that's one plausible way a series could end like this.

last edited at Jul 27, 2018 10:09AM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Who knows? Could be anything. Maybe she saw the writing on the wall. Maybe there were creative differences between the magazine and her. Maybe there was some private issues. Maybe she'd rather draw some random harem crap that'll make her rich. Maybe ...

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

Decisions being taken to cancel a series on the initial sales of the 1st volume is how the industry operates for most series.

In a big magazine, maybe. But for smaller magazines like Cune, that's not really standard. Even MTK rarely will cancel a series with only one volume out.
And anyway, the series looked fairly popular, giving how much it was being promoted and how much it was being talked about online.

Even if an publisher offered that chance, and they normally do, I can imagine a mangaka might decide not to continue a series if their royalties don't make it worth it, or even financially affordable, so that's one plausible way a series could end like this.

That's not a good idea, because she risks losing trust and no one will buy her next works. Even if she's not doing that good sales-wise, if she still wants to keep working as mangaka, It's best to at least see the story to the end. We rarely see mangas being cancelled by the author themselves. Usually they're put on hiatus (sometimes eternal hiatus, like CLAMP titles). So this is not really that common.

joined Mar 15, 2017

In a big magazine, maybe. But for smaller magazines like Cune, that's not really standard.

Letting series continue is even more of a burden on smaller magazines.

Even MTK rarely will cancel a series with only one volume out.

When the first volume comes out they absolutely do look at sales to decide whether it will end at 2, maybe 3. They will even potentially cancel series at 1 volume based on reader feedback. What's rare is a manga ending suddenly without a final chapter that goes in the final volume.

That's not a good idea, because she risks losing trust and no one will buy her next works.

Whether it's a good decision or not really depends on stuff like the balance of their financial situation. It's not something an armchair expert like you can tell.

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

In a big magazine, maybe. But for smaller magazines like Cune, that's not really standard.

Letting series continue is even more of a burden on smaller magazines.

Even MTK rarely will cancel a series with only one volume out.

When the first volume comes out they absolutely do look at sales to decide whether it will end at 2, maybe 3. They will even potentially cancel series at 1 volume based on reader feedback. What's rare is a manga ending suddenly without a final chapter that goes in the final volume.

That's not a good idea, because she risks losing trust and no one will buy her next works.

Whether it's a good decision or not really depends on stuff like the balance of their financial situation. It's not something an armchair expert like you can tell.

I'm not sure why you're bothered by it. Point is that an author cancel a series is never a good idea for them. Only situation I could see it being a good decision is if Cune doesn't allow hiatus, what yeah, we can't know if that's the case, although I never heard of a magazine doing that. But if it's just about the author current situation, a hiatus would make more sense. Konohana's author did that. Namori is doing it with YrYr. Even Prism, that we know will never be back is officially "on hiatus". It makes sense, as it's really hard to a mangaka to be published, to begin with.

So yeah, regardless of her current situation (what let's be honest, most people who bought her manga doesn't care at all), cancelling it suddenly without any explanation isn't good professionally speaking. I'm not even saying that she shouldn't. But that's how it is.

joined Mar 15, 2017

I'm not sure why you're bothered by it.

You mean, why am I not leaving your bad take unchallenged and correcting you when you post things that aren't true?

joined Jun 12, 2015

Cune once cancelled a yuri series, but that was justified by health problems of the artist. And even if it didn't reach enough content for one volume, Cune still published what they had (around 50 pages) digitaly. This manga was Fujieda Miyabi's Colorful End Contents.

last edited at Jul 27, 2018 11:30AM

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

Cune once cancelled a yuri series, but that was justified by health problems of the artist. And even if it didn't reach enough content for one volume, Cune still published what they had (around 50 pages) digitaly. This manga was Fujieda Miyabi's Colorful End Contents.

Yeah, what was weird about this case is how sudden it happened, without any explanation. The mangaka's last tweet was just last week and it was a Killing Me drawing. The manga was popular and most fans are surprised and wondering if something happened with the author now.
Most comments about it between japanese readers is just confusion.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

If people love it in Japan too and there was no explanation it has to be some personal problem with the author, I hope she is well. But really, not even a Hiatus? then there was no hope to continue.

Girl%20with%20a%20black%20cat%20avatar
joined Dec 27, 2015

Yeah, what was weird about this case is how sudden it happened, without any explanation. The mangaka's last tweet was just last week and it was a Killing Me drawing. The manga was popular and most fans are surprised and wondering if something happened with the author now.
Most comments about it between japanese readers is just confusion.

Well, anyway, I’m sad to see it end this way. It was cute and fun and had a creative storyline.
Thank you for explaining what happened. It helps to know these things so your not sitting there wondering why isn’t there another chapter.

joined May 23, 2015

I've read cune since the very first volume and have seen a lot of series in it get cancelled. They all just suddenly publish a final chapter or vanish silently.

Taking a full page to announce a series won't continue, with a statement about it being the author's decision, is not something I've seen done in the magazine's run. It's pretty naive to claim it got axed.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

I'm so sad. I was really looking forward to this series :(

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

I was really liking it, shame it got cancelled. :(

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

OMG, I'm devastated I just learned this series got cancelled, I CANNOT BELIEVE IT, how come?

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

I guess this series really live up to the title, YOU'RE KILLING ME, for both us readers (angst-wise) and author, literally [deep sigh]
oh well

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

I can't believe it was cancelled... I was really enjoying the tsun tsun and art style...
Guess I will wait for the next author's series.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

What a shocking news! damn. i was looking forward to this manga the most. it was so promising. no author would suddenly cancel their series and ruin their reputation unless something really really bad happens to them. i mean, if it is a financial problem they could put it on hiatus! even if the magazine refuses they could move to another one i'm sure there are other magazines willing to publish this manga since it's fairly popular and has it's own fans. i really hope the author is doing fine and hopefully some miracle happens that will allow them to continue their work.

last edited at Aug 23, 2018 1:53PM

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

What a shocking news! damn. i was looking forward to this manga the most. it was so promising. no author would suddenly cancel their series and ruin their reputation unless something really really bad happens to them. i mean, if it is a financial problem they could put it on hiatus! even if the magazine refuses they could move to another one i'm sure there are other magazines willing to publish this manga since it's fairly popular and has it's own fans. i really hope the author is doing fine and hopefully some miracle happens that will allow them to continue their work.

it was health issues on author's side

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

it was health issues on author's side

I hope It's nothing too serious, I was thinking it could be something like that... It was a big surprise indeed. After Ssamba I kinda traumatized, now I'm always looking for the best to the authors, like If I could support them in any way.

Also, I was checking their twitter and didn't find any news, the last tweet was this one:

last edited at Aug 24, 2018 4:39PM

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

The twit where she said it's for health it's this. She said that she wanted to drawn again, but in a while, so I don't knowwhat happened to her. I remember that Natsuki Takaya put Fruist Basket in hiatus a whole year for a health problem, so I don't know how bad it's her...

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

RIP

1523068069413s
joined Jun 2, 2017

Chapter 11 on November 12??

https://comic-walker.com/contents/detail/KDCW_MF06200112010000_68/
次回更新予定 : 2018/11/12 = Next update scheduled: 2018/11/12

Z3
joined Aug 20, 2016

Chapter 11 on November 12??

https://comic-walker.com/contents/detail/KDCW_MF06200112010000_68/
次回更新予定 : 2018/11/12 = Next update scheduled: 2018/11/12

I thought its cancelled???

To reply you must either login or sign up.