Forum › Citrus discussion

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Well, this is gonna end in like 2-3 chapters. Timeskip and resolution after dealing with all tasks. Lame.

Given that you just wrote that ending in your head, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself.

joined Jun 12, 2015

Well, this is gonna end in like 2-3 chapters. Timeskip and resolution after dealing with all tasks. Lame.

Given that you just wrote that ending in your head, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself.

Will see.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Predictive lamenting—it’s like opiates only way better. (Evidently.)

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Predictive lamenting—it’s like opiates only way better. (Evidently.)

What hath science wrought?

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I think this chapter is ridiculous. How come their parents just accept the fact that their daughter dating her own step sister.

Because they're caring and understanding parents, and they've been pretty liberal (even bohemian at times) for the entire comic? And because a stepsister isn't a blood relation, so it isn't incest, and there's nothing wrong with being gay, and you can't help who you fall in love with anyway. I'd probably move them to separate bedrooms, but I wouldn't have a problem with it if it were a kid of mine.

Honestly, the common trope here is the parents find out and react badly, but that wouldn't have made sense at all given the way they comport themselves. I'm exceptionally refreshed to see GOOD parents in a Yuri story for once.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Yuzu is way too selfish on this one. She came out of the closet and forced Mei to do so. This isn't something you do for someone. This is a personal choice and even though it went very well, she shouldn't have done that.

Plus, she is forcing this relationship. Mei chose another path, and Yuzu doesn't respect that. Love doesn't justify all means. Let's imagine Mei is coming back to Yuzu, I don't think she will be thrilled AT ALL that Yuzu say all of those things.

The fact that everyone is supportive is great but I really don't like how it happened. This is either poorly written or it will backfire at Yuzu (and even though Mei had been hard on her, she would deserve it this time).

Agree with this.

We don't actually know what Yuzu said, though. She could easily have admitted her feelings and attraction to Mei without stating that Mei likes her back. I doubt it, but it's possible. Of course, there is the fact also that she's a kid and doesn't know a damn thing about gay culture, so it's likely she doesn't even know that she "came out", or that outing Mei is bad. But Mei isn't any less selfish. She made all of these decisions without even talking to Yuzu about them, and left her feeling desperate, broken, lonely, and helpless as a result.

But you expect that when kids are stepping into their first romance. They're young and stupid. They aren't supposed to be role models.

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

I think this chapter is ridiculous. How come their parents just accept the fact that their daughter dating her own step sister.

I mean, you could apply the same logic to any other story out there. How come no one bats an eye to how much of a shit parent Goku is? Because its a manga about super powerful aliens. Same thing in Citrus, its a manga about fake incest where the parents barely said anything at all or made an appearance.

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/citrus_ch39#31

I took a look at the raw for the page, and what Matsuri says on panel 3 is (more or less):

"You kept insisting that you weren't interested in anyone,
but just as I thought, it was Yuzu-chan, wasn't it..."

Just a small detail, I guess.

Wow, seriously? Damn. I don't understand, how come the translation doesn't show that? I always complain Saburouta is vague, but maybe it's the translations after all. I mean that basically settles the matter. So sad for Harumin :-(

I don’t ever read Citrus raws, so I’m not sure how the translation has been for the other chapters, but the line above specifically mentions “Yuzu-chan”, so I don’t even know how it came out so vague in the end product ( ̄▽ ̄)

So folks in Reddit are commenting something interesting.

Tthat we cannot be sure about whether Harumin likes Yuzu or not, because Matsuri didn't even hear the whole thing and it was vague anyway (as evidenced by Nene wanting to go closer so they could hear the whole convo).

But what DID for sure happen is that Matsuri jumped to the conclusion Harumin does likes Yuzu, and now might think Yuzu has already or is in the process of accepting Harumin's feelings. So she now sees Yuzu as a rival, which is why she mentioned that Yuzu is already "raising the flag of victory" (remember she sees love as a game). And she is plotting revenge, either because: (1) she thinks if Yuzu and Harumin are together, and so she is free to have revenge on Mei as a venting target for her frustration at not getting Harumin, or (2) because she thinks by pushing Mei and Yuzu to be together again, she can have a chance with Harumin.

My opinion as HaruminxMatsuri shipper: the plot twist here is that Harumin's face was sad because she likes Matsuri but due to her "on the fence" personality is not going to be out about it like Yuzu. It was a face of "damn, I don't have the guts to be this brave". Matsuri will try to nuke everything, end up getting a confession from Harumin and save YuzuMei inadvertently in the process :P

If this wasn't Citrus of all things, I'd be inclined to agree with you, LOL... But remember that Matsuri is some kind of super keen, ultra-observant hyper-genius. Ever since she was introduced, she has always been seemingly aware of everything going on beneath the surface, even if just vaguely. Most likely, she's always known that Harumi had (or has) romantic feelings for Yuzu. Nene wanted to get closer because she ISN'T an ultra-observant hyper-genius like Matsuri is, and ISN'T aware of anything that's going on. Hell, she most likely isn't even aware that something could be going on between Yuzu and Mei, even though the rest of her friends might've had an inkling about it.

Frankly, Matsuri sees everything like a game, due to her being an avid gamer, LOL. Matsuri is 99% already aware of the talk that Yuzu had with Harumi. The only way to get Harumi to make that kind of pained expression is by finding out that her love will never come true, and the only way to make that happen is if Yuzu told Harumi about Mei, which is exactly what happened. "Raising the flag of victory" is most likely referring to Yuzu, who now looks more confident in her ability to find Mei after confiding in Harumi. Basically, Yuzu's celebrating prematurely, as if she had already won the battle (to bring Mei back) just by talking it out with her best friend. Because of this newfound confidence instilled in Yuzu, Matsuri wonders what Yuzu's next move will be.

About Matsuri's "revenge" though... My guess is that Matsuri can hardly wait for Yuzu to bring Mei back so she can get her "revenge" (probably just a prank). I think this is her mischievous and subtle way of believing that Yuzu has the power to do so. This is probably her way of silently encouraging Yuzu's plan from the shadows. ("Bring her back so I can toy with her!" kind of scenario, maybe?)

last edited at Jun 19, 2018 7:08PM

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Yeah I totally agree with you that what you describe is the likely scenario, as Matsuri has been like a Seer or Oracle from day 1 lol

It would only be what I said if there was a final plot twist in the series. Also because in chapter 37, Harumin tells Matsuri the following: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/citrus_ch37#6. I think someone on Reddit mentioned in the raw she says something like "you are not always right".

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

Yeah I totally agree with you that what you describe is the likely scenario, as Matsuri has been like a Seer or Oracle from day 1 lol

It would only be what I said if there was a final plot twist in the series. Also because in chapter 37, Harumin tells Matsuri the following: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/citrus_ch37#6. I think someone on Reddit mentioned in the raw she says something like "you are not always right".

That's such a minor scene, I don't believe it implies anything about Matsuri's perceptiveness. Also, if we are to assume that Matsuri has feelings for Harumin (and as a Harumi x Matsuri shipper, I sure hope so), she most likely has observed Harumin's behavior the most out of anybody and knows her best out of the rest of the cast members. I'm definitely willing to bet that she knew what the talk between Yuzu and Harumin was about in the latest chapter.

Also, here's what I would've translated the last two panels of page 5, and the first two of page 6 to (not much different than what's been released though, lol):

Matsuri: Personally, I thought he genuinely wanted to get along with me...
Matsuri: So, you know...

Harumi: Well... Everybody's different, and they all have their own ways of thinking.
Harumi: Besides, that's just your opinion, isn't it?

She doesn't say anything like "you are not always right."

joined Jun 18, 2018

Yuzu is way too selfish on this one. She came out of the closet and forced Mei to do so. This isn't something you do for someone. This is a personal choice and even though it went very well, she shouldn't have done that.

Plus, she is forcing this relationship. Mei chose another path, and Yuzu doesn't respect that. Love doesn't justify all means. Let's imagine Mei is coming back to Yuzu, I don't think she will be thrilled AT ALL that Yuzu say all of those things.

The fact that everyone is supportive is great but I really don't like how it happened. This is either poorly written or it will backfire at Yuzu (and even though Mei had been hard on her, she would deserve it this time).

Agree with this.

We don't actually know what Yuzu said, though. She could easily have admitted her feelings and attraction to Mei without stating that Mei likes her back. I doubt it, but it's possible. Of course, there is the fact also that she's a kid and doesn't know a damn thing about gay culture, so it's likely she doesn't even know that she "came out", or that outing Mei is bad. But Mei isn't any less selfish. She made all of these decisions without even talking to Yuzu about them, and left her feeling desperate, broken, lonely, and helpless as a result.

But you expect that when kids are stepping into their first romance. They're young and stupid. They aren't supposed to be role models.

Sounds like a toxic relationship. :(

Anyway, I love Citrus, I still do, even though it left me frustrated at times. I've watched the anime before reading the manga. I just wish that Mei would be the one who takes the initiative to go after Yuzu this time, instead of Yuzu always going after her.

I just wonder, with so many of you here not being satisfied with the storyline now, is there anyway that we can reach out to Saburouta and tell her our opinions? Like via Twitter or something? If this is a TV show, she would get burnt on Twitter! LOL.

Picsart_05-15-11.56.08%20(2)
joined Jun 17, 2018

I love Citrus but I do wish the author will make more chapters more that can make our hearts beat just like one of the first chapters before

joined Aug 29, 2015

With how Shou and Ume was portrayed in Citrus, did anyone really expected them to disown Yuzu after coming out to them?

Anyway, I don't know how to interpret Harumin's expression when Yuzu told her that she loves Mei as a lover. She somewhat looked disappointed for a second then she instantly changed to her usual self. I know I'm overthinking things but I hope it's a hint that Harumin isn't straight at all. Saburo Uta should really create a spin-off with Harumin as the lead.

last edited at Jun 19, 2018 11:23PM

joined Feb 18, 2018

That's such a minor scene, I don't believe it implies anything about Matsuri's perceptiveness. Also, if we are to assume that Matsuri has feelings for Harumin (and as a Harumi x Matsuri shipper, I sure hope so), she most likely has observed Harumin's behavior the most out of anybody and knows her best out of the rest of the cast members. I'm definitely willing to bet that she knew what the talk between Yuzu and Harumin was about in the latest chapter.

Also, here's what I would've translated the last two panels of page 5, and the first two of page 6 to (not much different than what's been released though, lol):

Harumi: Well... Everybody's different, and they all have their own ways of thinking.

Sighs. Well I don't know what to say, both my ships sunk in the same chapter damn it LOL HaruYuzu and HaruMatsu never gonna be a reality at this rate (if Harumin doesn't like Matsuri already, there is no way she will develop feelings for her by the end of the story in any satisfactory way). Guess I am here now only to see Mei get bitchslapped hard by Matsuri then, because she has turned into such a boring emo character that I also want revenge. I mean at least this one thing Saburouta has to give us.

Like, am I the only one who literally could not give a sh*t if Mei and Yuzu end up together? I don't know why, in the beginning of the story I really cared but after Mei's letter it was like a cold shower I never recovered from.

last edited at Jun 19, 2018 10:52PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I just wonder, with so many of you here not being satisfied with the storyline now, is there anyway that we can reach out to Saburouta and tell her our opinions? Like via Twitter or something? If this is a TV show, she would get burnt on Twitter! LOL.

"Hi, I'm from another country and I'm reading a pirated copy of your work for free. I just wanna tell you what you're doing wrong..."

Sounds like a great idea, that.

joined Aug 29, 2015

matsuri_wins

I don't know why a lot of people hates Mei when it's clear that she didn't choose to marry some random dude because she wanted it, but because she felt like it was the right thing to do. it's as simple as that.

But I felt sorry for Mei because "plot twist" their parents and friends doesn't care at all if Yuzu and her are dating or even get married to each other. as for her grandfather, who cares about him lol

last edited at Jun 19, 2018 11:38PM

joined Feb 18, 2018

matsuri_wins

I don't know why a lot of people hates Mei when it's clear that she didn't choose to marry some random dude because she wanted it, but because she felt like it was the right thing to do. it's as simple as that.

lol wut, that seems like the same thing to me. She had 2 options, and she picked the one she preferred given the circumstances. Like I would say her choices show exactly the type of person she is, for good or bad. Besides that's not exactly the reason why I have come to dislike her, she was my favourite character in the series till the end of the election arc. The thing is, she at first seemed like a cold collected person with a dark past, "cold yet bold" as Yuzu mentions in the anime. But slowly and surely she was turned into a duty-drone/damsel-in-distress type who can't even break up with her girlfriend in person. Too lame for my tastes.

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

Sighs. Well I don't know what to say, both my ships sunk in the same chapter damn it LOL HaruYuzu and HaruMatsu never gonna be a reality at this rate (if Harumin doesn't like Matsuri already, there is no way she will develop feelings for her by the end of the story in any satisfactory way). Guess I am here now only to see Mei get bitchslapped hard by Matsuri then, because she has turned into such a boring emo character that I also want revenge. I mean at least this one thing Saburouta has to give us.

Like, am I the only one who literally could not give a sh*t if Mei and Yuzu end up together? I don't know why, in the beginning of the story I really cared but after Mei's letter it was like a cold shower I never recovered from.

I'm still holding out for Harumi x Matsuri! I get this feeling we're going to get a time skip after Mei comes back or a time skip just so Mei can come back, and by then, hopefully Harumi will have fallen in love with Matsuri, LOL... Just typing that out made me a little sad. ;_;

joined Aug 29, 2015

matsuri_wins

Thats how Mei's character works, She thinks that she can save Yuzu from all the family drama, if she obeys her grandfather, the same way how Matsuri thought that sexually harrassing Mei will force her to leave Yuzu.

I mean, you know, each character in Citrus has their own way of showing their affection with the person they like.

Just look at Yuzu, Mei, Matsuri and Himeko. They pretty much act their feelings without even considering what the other person might think because they felt like it was the right thing to do, well until someone slapped some sense into them. Isn't this the reason why Harumin is so precious, it's because she's the most sensible character in this manga

last edited at Jun 20, 2018 12:10AM

joined Feb 18, 2018

matsuri_wins

Thats how Mei's character works, She thinks that she can save Yuzu from all the family drama, if she obeys her grandfather, the same way how Matsuri thought that sexually harrassing Mei will force her to leave Yuzu.

I mean, you know, each character in Citrus has their own way of showing their affection with the person they like.

Just look at Yuzu, Mei, Matsuri and Himeko. They pretty much act out their feelings while thinking it was the right thing to do, without even considering what the other person might think, well until someone slapped some sense into them. Isn't this the reason why Harumin is so precious, it's because she's the most sensible character in this manga

Well sure, I'm not saying she doesn't have good intentions. Hell is, after all, full of people with good intentions :P I'm just saying she was cool before and has become lame af (in my humble opinion).

Also in any realistic scenario the YuzuMei relationship would be considered too one-sided and toxic. Like if I was Yuzu's friend I would be silently hoping she runs for the hills no matter if Mei loves her or not. Even if they got together again, there would be a huge backlash later in terms of Yuzu no longer trusting Mei, it's just too much baggage now. Doomed to fail, I can't support them being together anymore.

last edited at Jun 20, 2018 12:16AM

joined Aug 29, 2015

matsuri_wins

I think it's called character development and not because she became lame LOL

Technically, Mei hadn't broken Yuzu's trust. Yuzu knows that Mei did it for their family and not because she was being selfish. it's the reason why Yuzu didn't hold a grudge against Mei and it's going to be the reason why she's gonna come after her for the upteenth time to tell her that everyone is cool with them being gay and all, and that she was prolonging the drama for no reason LOL

I hope gramps has something up his sleeve to stir some sh*t up because I want heavy drama with even just, a tiny bit of logical sense into it. I'm not gonna ask for some hyper-realistic scenario. I just want it to be entertaining. #makecitrusgreatagain

last edited at Jun 20, 2018 12:33AM

joined Feb 18, 2018

matsuri_wins

I think it's called character development and not because she became lame LOL

If it's character development I don't know, but I see it as a negative development regardless since this type of damsel in distress and extremely dutiful behaviour is unattractive to me.

Technically, Mei hadn't broken Yuzu's trust. Yuzu knows Mei did it for their family and not because she was being selfish. it's the reason why Yuzu didn't hold a grudge against Mei and it's going to be the reason why she's gonna come after her.

Yuzu has always been unnervingly dumb, but she used to be quite bold as well and turning lamer and lamer as the story goes on. Again I used to like her through the story but since she started taking forever to have sex with Mei, I cannot. She literally took so long to have sex with her own gf that the girl ran off to marry someone else, despite the fact they lived together and slept on the same bed everyday LOL

In the end, Matsuri and Harumin are the only interesting people left. Maybe Shiraho, but unfortunately she is too much of a side character to matter.

last edited at Jun 20, 2018 12:36AM

joined Aug 29, 2015

matsuri_wins

To be fair, Mei thinks that Yuzu is the damsel in distress in their situation and she was the one saving her.

Mei has always been a very responsible person even when she was still the emotionless and cold-hearted girl back in the first four arc. so, I don't really know what's your problem with her being an exceptional "family-oriented" person up until now.

As for Yuzu, I don't know about you but I don't want Citrus to be another smut yuri manga which is like the trend right now (yuri manhwa) geez, it doesn't have to go that low to get more readers.

last edited at Jun 20, 2018 7:02AM

19243370_189319978264256_7134889760776107126_o
joined Dec 26, 2014

page 31 of chapter 39 will be replaced later tonight on dynasty, Thank you for the heads up on the translation on panel 3

joined Feb 18, 2018

matsuri_wins

To be fair, Mei thinks that Yuzu is the damsel in distress in their situation and she was the one saving her.

Huh, no. Mei is not saving Yuzu here, she makes it clear in the letter her reason for leaving is upholding her duties. Which is as good a reason as any by the way, but don't try to make the girl a hero now when she isn't one.

Mei has always been a very responsible person even when she was still the emotionless and cold-hearted girl back in the first four arc. so, I don't really know what's your problem with her being an exceptional "family-oriented" person up until now.

She is not family-oriented, she is rule-bound which is very different. If she was family-oriented she would try talking more to her family members, rather than isolating herself. Also she is just not person-oriented in general, because she seems to have no friends, including apparently not giving a real crap about Momokino unless instructed to do so by Yuzu. Again I am sure that appeals to some people, just not to me. When that was counter-balanced by being bold in other areas, I was still OK with it.

As for Yuzu, I don't know about you but I don't want Citrus to be another smut yuri manga which is like the trend right now (yuri manhwa) geez, it doesn't have to go that low to get more readers.

I'm not talking about showing any smut, just because a sex scene is implied to happen it doesn't mean it needs to be shown. But yeah, it's kinda impossible that 2 people who are dating for months and sleep together on the same bed aren't going to do anything ever except blush at each other.

last edited at Jun 20, 2018 8:34AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.