Forum › Citrus discussion

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Anyone else get more and more pissed off at the father each chapter for dropping all the responsibility in Mei's lap?

Judging by the previous discussion on Shou in this thread, quite a few people, I would imagine. Myself included.

joined Dec 13, 2013

“idk what to do anymore”

WELL yuzu
you can idk move on from the girl that doesnt care abt you! youre a teen, there’s plenty fish in the sea cmon you can do it

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

She gonna tell momma about it, and momma is gonna say go for it gurl

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

WELL yuzu
you can idk move on from the girl that doesnt care abt you! youre a teen, there’s plenty fish in the sea cmon you can do it

Leave that to reality! I want their impossible love to become possible.

joined Sep 11, 2014

Two sisters in love with each other

One of them is getting married

I've heard that Yuzu and Mei will have a happy end, but please for the love of Madokami don't let it be a Happy End.

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

No chance ... the Happy end is paved. Author's words, Yuri Hime flagship series yadda yadda yadda ... ;)

Edit: well, this answer debunks itself since I hadn't the reference.

Indeed, it won't be like "Happy End", I think many hints point toward a really good ending, it has been talked above.

last edited at May 21, 2018 12:24PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

No chance ... the Happy end is paved. Author's words, Yuri Hime flagship series yadda yadda yadda ... ;)

I think the capitalized Happy End was a reference to:

https://dynasty-scans.com/series/happy_end

Which surely earns its Bad End tag.

Img_20180410_195021
joined Apr 20, 2018

OHHHHH SHIIIIT IS SHE GOING TO TELL HER MOM ABOUT HER RELATIONSHIP WITH MEI OHHH MAN CANT WAIT FOR NEW CHAPTER

Lomographic Colored Past
74ec91ae-b46c-44be-9b5e-7c40e1fb423d
joined Dec 29, 2016

Yuzu is coming out to her mom! #20gayteen

I wish in the next chapter it will be Mei's whole chapter or better Yuzu/Mei chapter, it's a long wait but it's worth it.

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

I think the capitalized Happy End was a reference to:

https://dynasty-scans.com/series/happy_end

Which surely earns its Bad End tag.

Ah my bad. didn't catch that. Thank you for the reference. What a terrible ending ... I understand the tag. Traumatizing.

last edited at May 21, 2018 12:22PM

Sayako
joined Mar 1, 2013

What are the chances next time they see each other Mei will be pregnant?

KatzeDerNacht
08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

@AozTkM

I don't have a great knowledge, probably less than some posters here. But, I am surprised how some readers here misread Yuzu's character since she has a very serious way to name her love for Mei. When she said I love you to Mei, she used "Suki Da yo" in chapters 16 and 33. The romantic way to express love between two lovers.

In chapter 36, the Japanese title has 愛してる, Ai shiteru. Here, it's serious business, you never say that except when you're very seriously involved and picture yourself in a kind of love that is forever.

So, Yuzu's Japanese way to express her love increases in seriousness, it's not a teenage crush in the wording.

Mei never uses suki, she's abstract in her letter, she uses omoi ("my feeling for you" but Mei always uses a deflected way to express things, she's not direct), the noun to talk about the feeling but never explicitly talk about the feeling of love directed toward Yuzu. "I was allowed to honestly love you" she just uses a word about honest feelings, feeling honestly (without restraint).

Interesting, she mentions the way she thought she was allowed ... the same word than in chapter 38 when Sara talks about it ("i am not allowed to ask anything", so what can be seen as a redundant conversation points toward something in Mei's mind). The sentence " I fell for you to a point in no return" has でいっぱい. Here again, the love word isn't here, it's more "to be full of someone".

In fact, the author is very subtle and the wording she uses for each character is very enlightening and show a real degree of mastery. Much more than people here give her account. She has a bigger picture in her writing than we can think. She also uses many echoes, some words resonate from one chapter to another one separated sometimes by a volume. And indeed, characters' complexity is lost in translation.

Talking about context, you are right. In fact, there is a great number of speeches, in the manga, that can have different interpretations.

Last but not least, let's take the grandfather's words in volume 1.

Japanese: それから芽衣お前もしばらくの間は自分の意思で行動しなさい
(You can do as you please/forget about me for a short while, for some time)
English translation by Yuri Project: You should do what you want to do and not worry about me"
Official one: it's time for you and you alone to decide how to live your life

But しばらくの間 means for a short while. That's why the author left a note saying reading in retrospect the manga allowed to see new things. I don't think it was just an awkward way to explain things people missed because Japanese perfectly understood the "for a short time" implication of the grandfather's words.

And here, many readers just thought the grandfather forgot about his promise when he never said to Mei she could do what she wanted forever. And Mei knew about that ... so it can shade a new light on some previous volumes. How a simple word ("for a short time"), forgotten cause it seemed, some years ago, a detail, is important with what happened in volume 9.

To conclude, I think the manga is subtler than we can say without of course making it a masterpiece in the writing and the plot department, there are flaws.

But, it's clear, as good as translations are, this subtlety is lost because, as you said, there are so many different ways to express something in Japanese for which English has only one or two words.

It's always interesting to try to have the original meaning in mind and dig a little to see beyond appearance.

@sadhomu82 : in the chapter, the team translated Sara's sentence about a "citrus event". She uses ゅずぽっちのイべントに当たって so it's related to Yuzubocchi's event. (ゅずぽっち). I guess the correction was made.

I read every single word, absolutely brilliant,it does sheds light on aspects, I personally hadn't quite grasped and makes me rethink about the whole thing in a whole new light, oh how I wish I could properly read Japanese, but this comment, is so good, thank you random Internet person!!!

joined Feb 25, 2018

What are the chances next time they see each other Mei will be pregnant?

Zero. I don't even know why some readers are expecting het in Citrus. This arc needs to end already.

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

@Bolsilludo

Zero ... Even if the arrangement isn't stopped before Mei changes her mind in front of the aisle or Yuzu crashes the wedding (i really don't believe the author will use these plot devices, just joking), there are no chances that Udagawa is dating Mei before the wedding.
The fiancés don't date before an arranged marriage (Himeko doesn't date her fiancé either) so ... And there won't be het in Yuri Hime. At this pace, I wonder if we'll see Mei before the final chapter of this volume.

Haha, I so disagree; there are plenty of "bigger"/denser/multi-syllabic (beautiful, IMO) words many people are unfamiliar with (or simply scorn) that don't fare well as typical, casual dialogue--especially for 16yo students. Context is everything!

Indeed, I wanted to pinpoint something different and in fact, this sentence just came wrong. I should have erased it. More something like English translation sometimes simplifies Japanese when you have a large panel of English words to maintain the original text's deepness. But yeah, context, teenagers characters ... not easy.

Another thing about the dub/translation.
Here: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/citrus_ch08#11

The translation talks about "boobs" but in fact, there is double-meaning, almost a pun from Harumi. The word 乳 ("chichi") refers to breasts (milk) but it can also be written with ちち meaning "chichi", the breasts but also the word father.
When Harumi asks Yuzu if she's worried about "chichi", breasts, Yuzu answer "yes but not quite", she was thinking about "chichi" as Mei's father.

This scene is totally out of the blue (probably some people thought Saburouta was drunk) if the double meaning of the word is unknown. Funny, the English dub doesn't do the link, but the French one makes the pun. ("Paire" = pair "père" = father). Probably cause the joke was hard to do in English while trying to maintain a fluent translation.

last edited at May 21, 2018 1:12PM

joined Jun 30, 2016

GREAT! It seems Yuzu once again is going to be the one to go beyond and try to solve the problem! i wonder if Mei will do fucking something this time around? I really hope she does for the sake of her character development, because at this point, ts getting really tiring that Yuzu is always the one to seek her out.

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

Yuzu could be a device to empower Mei. Mei needs to believe she is allowed to choose what she wants. She’s prisoner of the rules and feel forced to follow them even if she doesn’t want to. Yuzu could be the one who triggers her belief in having the right to think about herself and to gain her free will, to be her destiny’s captain. So 50-50,Yuzu could push and place in front of Mei the options and Mei could be the one who will decide freely.

The previous chapters are a set up for this kind of progression. Being allowed, being forced to... are recurrent in Mei’s speech. So something will be probably done about it. Mei’s state of mind is the one of someone who doesn’t allow herself the right to make choices ... so she needs someone who pushes the good button.

She cannot choose out of the blue to make choices, cause it’s not how her mind works. Years of being aloof. It is pretty logical when we see how she functions since the begining, sticking to the notebook for example. I don’t see how the author would totally deprive Mei of some active role after all this set up and the way she built her character. Patience.

last edited at May 21, 2018 3:15PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Patience.

I’m with you on this. Even my initial remarks about the pacing were more about the readerly whiplash going from the usual languid speed of the storytelling to the sudden time-jump (conspicuously NOT depicting one of the story’s most important set of events) and then back to normal again than it was a complaint that things aren’t happening fast enough.

And I for one have been holding off on moral judgments, if any, about which characters are the ‘bad’ ones and which ones are ‘good’ until we see how the whole thing shakes out.

Now, if this were my circle of friends or other real people in my life, I’m sure I’d have strong opinions about, for example, just how pissed at the dad or grandfather I should be at this point, or whose precise failings are to blame for all this emotional turmoil. But I’m pretty sure they’re not real people.

(Except about the rapey teacher/fiancé—he’s just an asshole either way.)

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

Yuzu goes too much out of her way
Mei doesn't deserve Yuzu
etc.

What is love?

(Baby don't hurt me...)

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

The drama CD of volume 4 and 9 were indeed written by Saburouta. She also was present during the recording with the VA from what i gathered from some of’her tweets.

For the anime, i watched the english and french subs. I should try the dub too for all episodes.

last edited at May 21, 2018 4:27PM

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

the author is sleek.After the recent chapters I don't think there is anyone who doesn't wish for Yuzu's happiness. And the mangaka made it clear that Mei is her happiness, so... this is either going to be beyond shitty or pretty well made drama. Compared to some other parts of the story this is the main conflict and it makes sense to draw it out more (but I'm craving for the happy feelz too...^^)

Ryokoayeka2
joined Sep 6, 2017

Nismy I just wanted to give you a shout out- thanks for clearing things up a bit for me with the language. The devil is definitely in the details with this manga, and it sucks to be missing some of them. No shade at all being thrown to the translators- rather i want to throw money and praise on them for their work which is letting us read this!! Just saying it's nice to know the subtle spins on meanings, as they do seem to make a difference.

Jinx%20avatar%20150x150
joined Jan 11, 2017

OOOH SHIT

IS SHE GONNA TELL MOM ABOUT HER THING WITH MEI

I HOPE THAT'S WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN

FUCKING FINALLY

Oh I think it's been strongly hinted that she already knows, kind of like how we all thought it was a secret from all the friends but it turned out they all knew.

joined May 10, 2015

I may have teared up a bit when Yuzu started, this was a very nice chapter.

I expect Yuzu to come out to her mother next chapter and given how we have seen her act I expect her to have already realised what is going on. She acts cheerful and happy but something tells me she is more perceptive than she let's on.
That and Yuzu isn't really subtle.

joined May 21, 2018

For those readers who curious about Asian culture, I recommed these essays 'Emerging Lesbian Voices from Japan(Sharon Chalmers )' & 'Beautiful and Innocent Female Same-Sex Intimacy in the Japanese Yuri Genr(Verena Maser)'. Could be found in the internet.

Dgdiqxlxgaazs0n
joined May 17, 2018

All these essay comments are making my head spins, you guys sure like debating

To reply you must either login or sign up.