Forum › Kase-san discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I do know what you mean. I feel as if I could enumerate at length all the specific things I enjoy (and find interesting) about the characters, the story, and the art and still not get much closer to explaining why I keep coming back to it so often.

If it didn’t sound so ridiculously sappy, I’d just say that reading it makes me feel better. So I’ll say something much more intelligent and insightful than that—as soon as I think of it.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

There really is something about Kase-san, isn't there?

I would identify that something as "a truckload of positive, life- and love-affirming emotions that just ooze out of every page of this manga". It just overwhelms our poor morning glory brains and makes them sprout with every single happiness hormone we have.

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

The English print volume 4 has a lot more changes than the previous one.
In addition to new stuff, a lot of panels were redone.

Chapter 18:
Page 21 : New panels and some redone all the way to the end

Chapter 19, 20.1, 20.2 combined:
Chapter 19 Page 1 : Title page is seems to use online chapter 20
Chapter 19 Page 16 : Panel 5 is redone
Chapter 19 Page 18 : Transition between online chapter 19 and 20 redone
Chapter 20 Page 14 : 3 pages redone
Chapter 20 Page 19 : Redone
Chapter 20 Page 33 : Last panels redone
Chapter 20 Page 34 : Panel 4 redone
Chapter 20 Page 35 : Ending redone and new panels (this part is great!)

Also the print volume seemed to have some trouble with the ê in crêpes in two spots (left blank?)

last edited at Feb 28, 2018 10:38PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^ I’m not entirely sure how I feel about the changes to the Inoue-senpai face-off section. Some of the original dialogue seemed to be a little more pointed in regard to “I know you guys are gay—and it’s OK!” theme.

And no changes are quite up to the bathing-suit-skinship revisions in the previous volume. But the “You’re my first anything, Yamada” additions were a welcome clarification of an important point.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^
^
I’m always delighted to get official versions of good works like this (or rather, I’m always delighted when good works get official versions), and I’m really, really delighted to support mangaka doing such good work when I can (even though I’m given to understand that creators don’t actually get much direct monetary benefit from sales of translations).

BUT, it seems like nearly every official translation of anything flattens out one or more of my favorite lines from the scanlation. We’ve already discussed the “love > like” examples—in my mind Kase will always tell Yamada, “I’ve been in love with you for the longest time,” no matter what the translation says.

In this volume, it’s when Mikawacchi and Kase are shopping for Yamada’s birthday present and Kase says that she loses confidence around Mikawa. I loved the response:

“I am quite well-informed on the ways of Yamada!”

“The ways of Yamada” suggests how, to people who know her, Yamada is such a loveable oddball, where:

“I do know a lot more about Yamada, after all!” is completely flavorless and pedestrian.

So I’m glad the official translations exist, but I’m also very grateful for the work of the translators here.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I don't want to burst your bubble, especially without seeing raws, but “I do know a lot more about Yamada, after all!” is most likely a better translation than “I am quite well-informed on the ways of Yamada!” I get your point about official translations often being more "proper" and lacking certain charm and personality compare to scanlations though.

last edited at Mar 10, 2018 10:52AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I don't want to burst your bubble, especially without seeing raws, but “I do know a lot more about Yamada, after all!” is most likely a better translation than “I am quite well-informed on the ways of Yamada!”

Why is that more likely better? Something about the particular translator, or . . .? The overall sense seems to be about the same.

last edited at Mar 10, 2018 11:20AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Blastaar posted:

Why is that more likely better? Something about the particular translator, or . . .? The overall sense seems to be about the same.

Ok, I'm taking that back. After thinking about it for a bit, I don't feel comfortable with making any statements without seeing original sentence.

joined Mar 15, 2017

私の方が山田には詳しいからね!

I wouldn't fault the fan translator for adding the flourish, but the professional didn't flatten something that was in the Japanese.

And there's plenty of room for the professional translation to be better where the fan translator has made mistakes.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Ok, I'm taking that back. After thinking about it for a bit, I don't feel comfortable with making any statements without seeing original sentence.

私の方が山田には詳しいからね
So yeah, SS's is the more literal translation in this case. I think I just phrased it that way cos it made Mikawachi seem more braggy.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Goggled Anon posted:

私の方が山田には詳しいからね
So yeah, SS's is the more literal translation in this case. I think I just phrased it that way cos it made Mikawachi seem more braggy.

Nah. I just assumed something, but seeing the original sentence now I'm certain I was wrong about it. Your translation is just as valid and as I said, clearly try to be more colorful, while SS is focusing on being "correct and proper".

last edited at Mar 10, 2018 1:10PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Well, it’s a basic principle among the several people I know who translate poetry and fiction (in various languages) that translation is always also a form of creation—trying to be as absolutely literal as possible is just as much a stylistic choice as anything else.

Mikawacchi is being a bit braggy there, and not unjustifiably so—she knows that to an outside observer she doesn’t stack up against Kase in very many ways, and Kase is the only audience in the world for whom “familiarity with Yamada the little plant appointee” is a legitimate bragging point.

I especially like that little side chapter because, in addition to its fluffiness, it actually develops our understanding of all three characters a bit more and also establishes a relationship between Yamada’s lover and her bff. (That “pretty cloud” cellphone pic was hilarious.) So a little flourish in that phrasing is perfectly justifiable on artistic grounds by enhancing the overall theme of the chapter.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Blastaar posted:

trying to be as absolutely literal as possible is just as much a stylistic choice as anything else.

Well, it was linked on Discord few times, but since you seem to be interested in topic I can give you this (unless you saw it already).

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Well, it was linked on Discord few times, but since you seem to be interested in topic I can give you this (unless you saw it already).

Yeah, thanks, I’ve seen a version of that somewhere (although I think more in a list form), and those are certainly some of the ideas and challenges I was alluding to.

And then there are the issues that arise when the target texts are experimental poetry. At least most of the translators who I know are dealing with languages that use the same orthography. . .

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

OVA Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k94x6pAb_k0
Looks to be covering content from volumes 2 & 3.

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

Dear Crunchyroll:

Please, for the love of Christ, pick this up.

~kvrythx

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

Yeah, there's definitely the bedroom scene from Volume 3 there. But the name Morning Glories also suggests the 1st volume. So....everything but volume 4?

Speaking of volume 4, I ordered it, and it has been waiting for me at my company's main yard for whenever I manage to get back there. So of course, I haven't been back there in three weeks.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

But the name Morning Glories also suggests the 1st volume.

Considering the multitude of names given to the one-shots and tanks, I'm guessing they're settling on the one consistent name for the anime portion to make it more easily marketable. And to be fair they pretty much covered the first volume in the animation clip, so it gives the OVA a fairly decent reason to start from a later point.

-vmfsod
joined Feb 28, 2016

2018 June 09

joined Jun 12, 2015

Lookig good.
1:29 <3

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Chapter 18:
Page 21 : New panels and some redone all the way to the end

Just got my physical copy in. Kind of a shame that they took out Kase leaping from the second floor and fucking up the degenerate males. Some of the other reordering through me off, too, but the extra stuff was lovely.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Just got my physical copy in. Kind of a shame that they took out Kase leaping from the second floor and fucking up the degenerate males.

I was surprised at that too, at first, but on reflection I think it kinda works better. That's really the only event in the whole series that pushes the bounds of realism (that's a drop of about 20 feet or more onto a concrete surface--survivable surely and doable by a trained athlete, but still very dangerous and more likely than not to result in substantial injuries, especially to your feet and ankles if you land like Kase did). Kase's a super girlfriend, but not a superhero.

She comes off as pretty reckless and violent in the original scene (which of course may be the appeal of it), and the whole thing is sort of a repeat of her airport-drunkard intervention anyway. Having her appear ninja-like behind the boys and demand their phones is not only rather more plausible, it displays yet another aspect of her extensive anti-creep Do-Not-Mess-With-Yamada arsenal.

I totally agree that some parts of the reworking of the Inoue-senpai showdown worked better than others, but as a whole the revisions sort of smoothed the way to and made room for the "You're the first, Yamada" additions, and that stuff is purest Kase-san/Yamada gold.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Blastaar posted:

I was surprised at that too, at first, but on reflection I think it kinda works better. That's really the only event in the whole series that pushes the bounds of realism (that's a drop of about 20 feet or more onto a concrete surface--survivable surely and doable by a trained athlete, but still very dangerous and more likely than not to result in substantial injuries, especially to your feet and ankles if you land like Kase did). Kase's a super girlfriend, but not a superhero.

It's not really all that unrealistic. Dangerous and a bad idea, sure. But it's totally doable. Painful though. Knees are not meant for that sort of force.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It's not really all that unrealistic. Dangerous and a bad idea, sure. But it's totally doable. Painful though. Knees are not meant for that sort of force.

And about the last trick you want to try if you’re a competitive runner. “Um, coach, you see, there were these boys perving on the plant appointee’s apron, so of course I had to jump from the second floor to make them delete their cellphone pictures! It’s no big deal— the doctor says that both casts will be off just in time for the interhigh . . .”

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Blastaar posted:

And about the last trick you want to try if you’re a competitive runner. “Um, coach, you see, there were these boys perving on the plant appointee’s apron, so of course I had to jump from the second floor to make them delete their cellphone pictures! It’s no big deal— the doctor says that both casts will be off just in time for the interhigh . . .”

insert Hina jumping out of the schools's second floor window
"You can do it if you know how" (or something like that)
(Sadly couldn't find relevant clip on yt)

last edited at Mar 16, 2018 1:41PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.