Forum › Citrus discussion

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Ok so when I said "shit test", I didn't mean shitty test lol I meant an actual "shit test", meaning a group of contradicting actions with the (usually subconscious, as definitely is Mei's case) motivation to get a genuine and spontaneous emotional reaction out of the person being tested, in order to assess their character/intentions as a person in general and towards the tester. It has nothing to do with being a "bad person" and everything to do with feeling insecure. The more insecure the person, usually the more they tend to shit test their partners even if they don't mean to, because the more they need all sorts of reassurance.

An insecure teenager with abandonment issues like Mei would do that even more, since she isn't even very verbal in the first place about her feelings (because her family is all into repressing them) and has been known for acting out rather than consciously and calmly discussing about what she wants, needs or fears. As shown by the fact that she literally sexually assaulted Yuzu on the regular as (presumably) a way of venting her initial growing emotions towards her, or the whole push-pull behaviour to get Yuzu to decide whether she wanted to date her or be stepsisters only. She is an emotional train-wreck of a person who has been improving thanks to Yuzu...but pretty far from normal teen behaviour I think, nobody just heals quickly like that from a lifetime of problematic family history.

So yes, the letter is an SOS call in my opinion too, only of the shit test variety lol Because if this was all about being dutiful to her family, she wouldn't need to take off from Yuzu's life and declare her love so strongly at the same time. She isn't dumb, she could just downplay the whole thing as a high school crush or whatever, which by the way would help Yuzu to forget her faster. But because she fears being abandoned and expects abandonment from people she loves whenever sh*t hits the fan, she abandons Yuzu first instead. In other words: if Yuzu is ever to have a healthy relationship Mei is not the one for her.

Little Bits Of Mini
Josuke
joined Nov 8, 2013

The simplest solution I can think for the situation is for Yuzu to grow up as a character and have the confidence to ask Mei to marry her before time runs out. Its a selfish thing to do but we're talking about Robot Mei here. Apparently in order for her to have some purpose in life, she wants to be needed right. So who or what will Mei choose... what does she love more. She's gonna be forced to make a final decision. And Yuzu, Matsuri warned her in the beginning about how society would see their relationship, and to think about it realistically. Both are in doubt right now because they're afraid to be who they really are in fear that their friends, family and society will disown them and they don't want each other to be put in that position. If Mei can confront her grandfather and declare her love for Yuzu and yet still wants to take over the school without the arranged marriage, hands down, that would be the most beautiful thing ever. This is what Yuzu deserves.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

So yes, the letter is an SOS call in my opinion too, only of the shit test variety lol Because if this was all about being dutiful to her family, she wouldn't need to take off from Yuzu's life and declare her love so strongly at the same time. She isn't dumb, she could just downplay the whole thing as a high school crush or whatever, which by the way would help Yuzu to forget her faster.

Disagree on both counts. This a classic case (common in Korean dramas) of "noble idiocy": breaking up because (at least in part) in the long run it's supposedly "better" for the other person. The absolute worst and most hurtful version is when, in a misguided attempt to help the other person move on, the noble idiot lies and disavows their previous relationship--it was just a fling, they were only playing around, their feelings have changed entirely, etc. Mei at least is trying to be honest about her feelings. You think Yuzu would be happier if Mei took away not only their future life together but their entire past as well?

if Yuzu is ever to have a healthy relationship Mei is not the one for her.

This slips from talking about the story as it exists into berating an imaginary person. We know these two clowns are going to be together eventually; we just don't how the story is going to get there. There are any number of yuri stories which end tragically with two people locked into a destructive relationship; if you think this is one of them, you've been reading a different manga than I have.

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

The simplest solution I can think for the situation is for Yuzu to grow up as a character and have the confidence to ask Mei to marry her before time runs out.

Nope. Yuzu done enough for this relationship. Its Mei turn.

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

The simplest solution I can think for the situation is for Yuzu to grow up as a character and have the confidence to ask Mei to marry her before time runs out.

Nope. Yuzu done enough for this relationship. Its Mei turn.

Indeed. Yuzu is perfectly in tune with her feelings and she keeps cherishing them while suffering. Mei has to grow now, emotionally speaking and let down her "noble idiocy" behavior as Blastaar perfectly worded it. Mei act out of chivalry, she seriously believed that it was better for Yuzu, but at the same time, she offers what Yuzu always wanted, her own love confession (even though a face to face one will be needed). Yuzu knows Mei didn't play with her, but she suffers nonetheless.
Let's see how the author will make Mei choose.

But yeah, one thing is certain, Mei has to fix things, to be at Yuzu's level. And after that, to allow these two to progress together.

joined Feb 18, 2018

if Yuzu is ever to have a healthy relationship Mei is not the one for her.

This slips from talking about the story as it exists into berating an imaginary person. We know these two clowns are going to be together eventually; we just don't how the story is going to get there. There are any number of yuri stories which end tragically with two people locked into a destructive relationship; if you think this is one of them, you've been reading a different manga than I have.

I'm not berating Mei, as a character she is what makes Citrus interesting after all :P I don't see her as neither angel nor devil. But she isn't a healthy character, never has been and in order to turn her into one this series would have to be many more volumes long lol And I'm not saying the relationship is destructive; but simply that unless the manga author transforms Mei's personality completely, there is no way people will get the equal, warm, ultimately satisfying relationship they are dreaming of as the end for this story.

They will be together sure, but I doubt the unequal dynamics would go away. I mean, as much as they are cute together, what I have been reading is a story in which Yuzu has been sexually assaulted at first, then given mixed signals, put down numerous times, told to shut up/silenced with kisses, and even saying "I love you" is a one-sided thing lol Heck the ring too, Mei didn't want to put it in Yuzu's finger. I hope it's obvious this is not what a healthy relationship looks like.

If Mei acts by herself without any wild pursuit from Yuzu it will be surprising and very cool. For me it will be this manga setting itself apart from the genre (and I'm including all romantic shoujo manga here). Still my bet is totally on Yuzu pursuing/rescuing her one last time and Mei just saying yes and tagging along, because the reassurance of "Yuzu will never leave me and will fight any obstacles to be with me" is what she presumably craves here.

Little Bits Of Mini
Josuke
joined Nov 8, 2013

As much as I want Mei to be the one to come clean and fix things, Yuzu has to confront her first and prompt her to let out her real feelings. Yuzu is the only one who can break Mei's "resolve" whatever that means... To take responsibility for her grandfather's school since she is capable of it, and has anyone ever thought that maybe she does give an actual damn about taking over it instead of letting it crumble down. I think she'd feel sad about it closing down or letting someone else take over. She wants to be proud of accomplishing what her father couldn't. If she's doing it out of her own will like she indeed states, that's something utterly different than her acting out of "noble idiocy."

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

And I'm not saying the relationship is destructive; but simply that unless the manga author transforms Mei's personality completely, there is no way people will get the equal, warm, ultimately satisfying relationship they are dreaming of as the end for this story.

Ah, I think I get what you're saying more clearly now (although I still largely disagree). I don't know how others have been reading the situation, but (and putting real-world psychological dynamics aside for a moment) my feeling has been that once Mei can shed (or at least shift) that giant pile of responsibility/expectations that have been crushing her for so long, she'll be able to return Yuzu's playfulness and affection. (Not that she'll ever be a genki girl, but if at some level she didn't want to break out of her shell, she never would have responded to Yuzu's sincerity and emotional candor in the first place.) I don't think such a development would be an arbitrary character transformation to fit the plot; I think it's what the story has been working toward the whole time.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

If she's doing it out of her own will like she indeed states, that's something utterly different than her acting out of "noble idiocy."

Actually it's not. "Noble idiot" breakups happen for a lot of reasons (although duty coming into conflict with love is a very common one), and the reasons are often quite legitimate ("Give up your love or we'll have him/her killed" is one extreme example). The characters are "idiots" primarily because we know (because of the requirements of plot or genre) that they're going to end up getting back together, so in a lot of cases the story is basically marking time until they do. The trope can be done well, as when the two people develop while they're apart in ways that are necessary for them to be together in the long term. But sometimes it's just a pain in the ass.

last edited at Mar 2, 2018 1:23PM

joined Feb 18, 2018

And I'm not saying the relationship is destructive; but simply that unless the manga author transforms Mei's personality completely, there is no way people will get the equal, warm, ultimately satisfying relationship they are dreaming of as the end for this story.

Ah, I think I get what you're saying more clearly now (although I still largely disagree). I don't know how others have been reading the situation, but (and putting real-world psychological dynamics aside for a moment) my feeling has been that once Mei can shed (or at least shift) that giant pile of responsibility/expectations that have been crushing her for so long, she'll be able to return Yuzu's playfulness and affection. (Not that she'll ever be a genki girl, but if at some level she didn't want to break out of her shell, she never would have responded to Yuzu's sincerity and emotional candor in the first place.) I don't think such a development would be an arbitrary character transformation to fit the plot; I think it's what the story has been working toward the whole time.

Ok I get what you mean. The difference is in how we read Mei: I don't interpret Mei as a person being crushed by her responsibilities only; I would, if there hadn't been all the sexual assault/push-pull stuff in the beginning. But because of that initial stuff, combined with her improvement ever since the relationship started, I see her essentially as a non-sociopathic, more passive version of Hotaru from Netsuzou Trap. Someone affected by family abandonment. I guess the question is whether we can hand-wave all that uncomfortable stuff from before as, well who knows, maybe bait-and-switch that was never meant to be part of the story :P

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I hesitate to say this in response to someone with your username, but, IMO, * cough * Matsuri was initially introduced as a much more overtly malevolent character than Mei ever was—she seemed to have messed with her friend’s love life just for giggles before setting Mei up for sexual degradation—and she got rehabbed as a character with lightning speed.

I think that at this point—in fact as of quite some time ago—we’re supposed to regard rapey Mei and witchy Matsuri as all-but-forgotten figures of the distant past. (Shirapon is another example of a character who has undergone that patented Citrus “scary person > cutie pie” makeover, and Harumin’s sister’s appears to be well underway.)

joined Feb 18, 2018

Hah, you are totally right of course. I guess I am able to conveniently forget Matsuri was the devil incarnated because it was so over the top it couldn't possibly be taken seriously. Heck, I can see how the series will end now: Gramps will turn into a cutie pie too and support the wedding no questions asked lmao

joined Jan 22, 2018

@Blastaar

Matsuri's personality didn't change however she did mature in the manga as she starts to appreaciate the people around her compared to the Matsuri from before, who treats other people even her friends like her toys that she could manipulate for her own entertainment.

Mei was indeed rapey as we have seen in the anime but abusive is pushing it. We don't know for sure what kind of hell she needed to endure with Amameya that turns her from being sexually aggressive with Yuzu every time she gets emotional. Remember Mei has been used all her life by the people who was supposed to care for her. So it is only logical that she will change after spending time with Yuzu and Ume. the only two people that showed her what family and love really is.

While I find Shirapon as the most ridiculous side-character in the manga next to the Tachibana sister. Matsuri is probably the best temp antagonistic character in Citrus even if it was over-the-top because her motivation for being a thorn on Yuzu and Mei's relationship did make sense. Similar to Mei, Matsuri probaby finds Yuzu as the only person who truly cares for her unlike the arc with the Tachibana sisters, Himeko and Harumin's older sister. plus, Matsuri made Mei realized that she can't only have Yuzu as her sister, no matter how much she tried to keep their relationship that way.

last edited at Mar 3, 2018 12:14AM

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

Most of the time people who call Mei abusive are the ones who have completely ignored Mei's character development. Look at her. She has developed from a typical shoujo rapist kuudere to a cute & innocent kuudere who doesn't even know how to date. She can't even go to sleep without Yuzu, as somebody mentioned in a previous post. But her character development is so subtle that the people I'm talking about fail to notice it. Like Matsuri's character development was more visible and everyone noticed it. In Mei's case, you have to pay a lot of attention.

@Yuri_lvl100 Which Tachibana sister are you talking about?

last edited at Mar 3, 2018 1:48AM

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

Still Mei acts like a dick.

joined Jan 22, 2018

Most of the time people who call Mei abusive are the ones who have completely ignored Mei's character development. Look at her. She has developed from a typical shoujo rapist kuudere to a cute & innocent kuudere who doesn't even know how to date. She can't even go to sleep without Yuzu, as somebody mentioned in a previous post. But her character development is so subtle that the people I'm talking about fail to notice it. Like Matsuri's character development was more visible and everyone noticed it. In Mei's case, you have to pay a lot of attention.

@Yuri_lvl100 Which Tachibana sister are you talking about?

Mei's character development is subtle? LOL They're probably not reading the manga. If they can remember, Mei is the type of person who has problems expressing her feelings. She helped Yuzu in her own way. she help Yuzu in her academics, cover for her when she violates the school rules, comfort Yuzu and reassure her that there's nothing wrong about their relationship, no matter what the society might think about them, She even risk her position as the Student Council President just not to get Yuzu expelled and we all know how important the academy is to Mei.

All in all, Mei is a good person, she's not that really good at expressing herself and she did struggle to trust the people closest to her because of her family and bastard fiance. that's why she was cold AF to Yuzu when Yuzu tries her hardest to get close to her because she probably thinks that Yuzu only has ulterior motives but she started to change when she realized that Yuzu truly cares for her.

The Tachibana sisters from the school trip? Sara and Nina? The arc when Yuzu confess her love for Mei.

last edited at Mar 3, 2018 10:07AM

joined Feb 18, 2018

Mei has had plenty of character development but it's not a surprise her behaviour is still so controversial. It depends on whether she is judged by her actions or by her actions + why she does what she does. If she is judged only by her actions, honestly she is still very far from being as caring towards Yuzu as Yuzu is towards her, and this whole letter thing was of course just even more reason for negative judgements. If I was friends with Yuzu, I would have to tell her to move on and find a healthier person who can reciprocate her feelings more directly...no wonder people like Harumin so much.

Sans%20titre
joined Jul 12, 2015

OMG I THINK I KNOW WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN. SO, MEI IS GOING TO KEEP WEARING THE RING AROUND HER NECK (on the necklace) AND Then one day the Manager will see it and think that it looks familiar, and he's going to remember Yuzu telling him that the ring was for 'her lover', so he'll assume that Mei is Yuzu's lover! And then he's going to ask Mei about it, and Mei will confess and cry etc. AND THEN he'll let her go and cancel their marriage because he wants her to be happy and to be with Yuzu. So Mei will go back to Yuzu and then... I don't know what. But then I had this idea that maybe the Manager ends up inheriting Aihara academy?? Idk highly unlikely but those are my thoughts :)

I love you

ahhhcitrushasruinedme
joined Mar 1, 2018

I love you

Love you too!

Also what if this is just an epic acceptance story, and Mei just needs to grow the guts to tell gramps. Cos didn't he catch Mei and Yuzu in a sexual position in the beginning of the story? Yeah He expelled Yuzu, but it was cos he had the wrong opinion of her and didn't want her near Mei since she could be a bad influence. Not cos he doesn't like gays right?? Like wouldn't it be the dream ending if gramps was like 'remember when I told you that you can make your own choices?' and then Mei chooses Yuzu.

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

that's what this point is about. She must choose between Yuzu or Aihara legacy. Even if she chose second, she should tell Yuzu in face why she done this.

joined Jan 22, 2018

Mei has had plenty of character development but it's not a surprise her behaviour is still so controversial. It depends on whether she is judged by her actions or by her actions + why she does what she does. If she is judged only by her actions, honestly she is still very far from being as caring towards Yuzu as Yuzu is towards her, and this whole letter thing was of course just even more reason for negative judgements. If I was friends with Yuzu, I would have to tell her to move on and find a healthier person who can reciprocate her feelings more directly...no wonder people like Harumin so much.

Like I said before, Mei isn't the type of person who can express her feelings very well. But if you re-read the arc with Shirapon. Mei is boldly showing her feelings for Yuzu and wasn't afraid if everyone will see them all lovey-dovey with each other. She fed Yuzu while Ume (their mom) was busy trying to find a salad dressing, she tried to cling to Yuzu during the festival, asked Yuzu to kiss her when the fireworks began and was even begging Yuzu for more, she always wear the couple ring Yuzu gave her even when she told Yuzu that she won't wear it because it violates school rules, gave Yuzu some sort of hickey while knowing full-well that their mom is awake. it's true that Mei isn't showy when it comes to her feelings but why would Yuzu be with someone she doesn't love romantically?

Anyway, I re-read the Vol 3 Special and it was kind of hinting that Harumin might have romantic feelings for Yuzu. Matsuri told her that she can tell they both like the same person because of her female intuition and Harumin who had a hint of blush in her face couldn't answer back and immediately wants to walk off. I know it's wishful thinking but who knows? if Harumin will finally make a move on Yuzu in the upcoming chapters. but I still like Mei x Yuzu more. it will just be interesting to read because if there's anyone Yuzu is closest with next to Mei, it is Harumin. the only person she probably wouldn't mind dating after the events of chapter 36.

last edited at Mar 4, 2018 9:29AM

joined Feb 18, 2018

I actually got from the Special that Matsuri understood both Harumin and her like Yuzu as a friend and care a lot for her, not that it's romantic feelings (I really don't think Matsuri ever had true romantic feelings for Yuzu by the way, I guess it was more like "you are stealing my bff with your sexiness so I'm going to try to lure her back with sexual stuff too" kinda thing).

But hey that might be my bias because I ship Matsuri x Harumin so hard :P Yet Harumin could definitely be "final boss" if the series extends to 12 volumes, and because she is so nice, Yuzu could be happier with her in the long run. The only bad part about that would be fans not ever wanting to see a broken-hearted Harumin in case Yuzu ultimately left her to go back to Mei. I seriously think lots of people would flip out and stop reading the series, Harumin is too loved lol So it would be a very risky move from the author.

As for Mei x Yuzu, yeah I know Mei cannot express her feelings etc and been trying in the last several chapters. Again I don't doubt she is crazy for Yuzu in her own way, that much is obvious. But if we forget Mei for a moment and only look at Yuzu, she could easily do better. The only reason Mei "asking for more kisses" is seen as so impressive and "proof of love" is because she is constantly depriving Yuzu of basic affection in the first place.

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

As we said Mei is handicapped when it comes to feelings.

joined Jan 22, 2018

I actually got from the Special that Matsuri understood both Harumin and her like Yuzu as a friend and care a lot for her, not that it's romantic feelings (I really don't think Matsuri ever had true romantic feelings for Yuzu by the way, I guess it was more like "you are stealing my bff with your sexiness so I'm going to try to lure her back with sexual stuff too" kinda thing).

But the thing is, Harumin went silent and didn't have a counter argument when Matsuri said that and she immediately walk off to avoid the issue which only proves what Matsuri said before, that Harumin always run away from conflict to avoid getting hurt. and if you re-read the part where Matsuri teased Nene that Harumin is her girlfriend and told her that Harumin only thinks of Yuzu as a friend. she had this little text that says "As if" I don't know if she's talking about Harumin ever becoming her girlfriend or the "As if" means, As if it isn't obvious that Harumin has feelings for Yuzu. I mean, why should Harumin avoid what Matsuri said if she only think of Yuzu as her friend and nothing more. Besides,every time Matsuri opens her mouth it's always about romantic or sexual relationship and never about friendship. The way she implied it means they both like the same person (romantically). she could have worded it differently. I honestly think Matsuri would have pursued a romantic relationship with Yuzu, if it weren't for Mei.

But hey that might be my bias because I ship Matsuri x Harumin so hard :P Yet Harumin could definitely be "final boss" if the series extends to 12 volumes, and because she is so nice, Yuzu could be happier with her in the long run. The only bad part about that would be fans not ever wanting to see a broken-hearted Harumin in case Yuzu ultimately left her to go back to Mei. I seriously think lots of people would flip out and stop reading the series, Harumin is too loved lol So it would be a very risky move from the author.

Why will it be a risky move? I actually think a lot of manga and anime fans of Citrus wants to see Mei x Yuzu x Harumin. Harumin is like the only character in the manga who can compete against Mei for Yuzu's affection. We know Harumin is not dense as she wants to appear, it has been implied before that she knows Mei and Yuzu's relationship and maybe that's why she said she has no romantic interest for Yuzu. Matsuri did said that Harumin is a suspicious person.

As for Mei x Yuzu, yeah I know Mei cannot express her feelings etc and been trying in the last several chapters. Again I don't doubt she is crazy for Yuzu in her own way, that much is obvious. But if we forget Mei for a moment and only look at Yuzu, she could easily do better. The only reason Mei "asking for more kisses" is seen as so impressive and "proof of love" is because she is constantly depriving Yuzu of basic affection in the first place.

Mei begs Yuzu for more kisses because she can't contain her feelings for Yuzu anymore. She's completely acting the same way as Yuzu. Mei even starts liking the same thing Yuzu likes. Remember she ate spicy curry because Yuzu like it, even though she can't tolerate spicy food, she cuddle Yuzu and pretended that she's imagining her to be Kumagouru. Yuzu can probably do better but she's in love with Mei and Mei definitely need someone like Yuzu who has lots and lots of love to give for a person like her. Hopefully, she can reciprocate it more openly in the upcoming volumes.

last edited at Mar 4, 2018 2:07PM

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

Why will it be a risky move? I actually think a lot of manga and anime fans of Citrus wants to see Mei x Yuzu x Harumin.

No... Stop it.

To reply you must either login or sign up.