Forum › Citrus discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It is just that in the case of "Citrus" it would not fit, given how Saburouta depicted the society, and put special emphasis on Mei's social position. After all that, going for this approach would be kind of a cop-out.

Agreed there. I do quite enjoy some “men not found” storyworlds (they often give young female characters room to confront romantic/sexual feelings as such rather than as simultaneously transgressing a social taboo). But when (in any kind of story) people/attitudes/circumstances that have functioned as major blocks to the protagonists throughout the story suddenly get waved away to create an otherwise unlikely happy ending, yeah, that’s bad/lazy writing.

On the other hand, I do find the trope of the (background character, fairly neutral) Mom who turns out to have had her own crushes/flirtations back in the day pretty adorable. And that’s not totally impossible here.

last edited at Feb 27, 2018 9:39AM

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

Why is it that you don't like it? I suppose Matsuri has manipulative tendencies, but so does Mei and yet people are OK with shipping a nice girl like Yuzu with her...I'd actually say Matsuri has evolved past her problematic behaviours much faster than Mei has, and she shows concern for her friends much more openly while Mei shows concern for...Yuzu I guess at times, and no one else? Anyways I'd say the possibility that the story would have even side characters get together faster than the MC's is hilarious and so sad at the same time...

Too many of these ships... YuzuxMei, MatsurixHarumi, HomekoxShiraho, MitsukoxMaruta ehhh

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

lol ok I agree with you here actually, I don't know where people got the other ships from. It's not because 2 characters interact that there's something other than friendship going on between them. But it seems to me MatsurixHarumin is being treated differently by the manga author and even in the anime OP. So I don't know...

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

If fans wants MatsurixHarumi they will get it

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Saburota interview in Japanese

https://ddnavi.com/interview/421352/a/

last edited at Feb 27, 2018 5:34PM

joined Jan 22, 2018

I hope Citrus won't end in the next volume considering the anime might have a second season which I dream would happened.

On Matsuri and Harumin. Why would the realistic representation of our society in Citrus prevent Matsuri and Harumin from becoming a couple? if we're gonna base it on their personality. Matsuri would give zero f×cks about other people's opinion while Harumin is evidently cool with Yuzu's gayness. But I must say that Sabuoru Uta might just let the fans to interpret the real relationship of Harumin and Matsuri on their own instead of making them canon.

last edited at Mar 1, 2018 10:46PM

joined Feb 18, 2018

I think there would be nothing to prevent them from being a couple and it would likely be drama-less in comparison to YuzuMei. I mean, Harumin is the only down to earth person in the entire series, she deserves an award for tolerating all these crazy people around her xD If I was the manga author I'd just launch a parallel comedy series with Matsuri and Harumin as main characters and leave all the emo stuff behind.

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

^ I wish a spin-off with them happens at some point. They would be the perfect Yuri-comedy couple lol

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

At first let Citrus end.

ahhhcitrushasruinedme
joined Mar 1, 2018

OMG I THINK I KNOW WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN. SO, MEI IS GOING TO KEEP WEARING THE RING AROUND HER NECK (on the necklace) AND Then one day the Manager will see it and think that it looks familiar, and he's going to remember Yuzu telling him that the ring was for 'her lover', so he'll assume that Mei is Yuzu's lover! And then he's going to ask Mei about it, and Mei will confess and cry etc. AND THEN he'll let her go and cancel their marriage because he wants her to be happy and to be with Yuzu. So Mei will go back to Yuzu and then... I don't know what. But then I had this idea that maybe the Manager ends up inheriting Aihara academy?? Idk highly unlikely but those are my thoughts :)

joined Feb 18, 2018

The Manager can't inherit anything, as he is not from the same family unless he marries Mei. Actually after re-reading some key manga chapters, I confirmed Mei is really 100% head over heels over Yuzu, the girl can't even sleep when Yuzu is late to arrive home and is super possessive/jealous even towards friends like Harumin for no good reason. The possibility this series will end with her marrying some dude is slim...The "Dear Yuzu" letter amounts to a shit test from her to see if Yuzu has a backbone lol

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

Seriously, the "letter is a test" seems absurd. Mei wouldn't do that. She's indeed in love but convinced herself she made a good choice.
Seriously, why Yuzu should have to prove once again she has a backbone, the girl is broken after all she did? If it's that, Mei would be more pitiful than in volume 4 and 3 when she did test Yuzu and wanted her to pursue her. And I don't think it was intended like that. Mei's note is final for her, hence the sayonara ending it. Not a twisted way to call Yuzu back, especially seeing how she totally cut herself from school and from any chance to be meet by Yuzu before the wedding.

Nobody doubt she crazy is in love, but here, many expect that she does the job and choose by assuming this choice, whatever it is face to face with the persons involved.

last edited at Mar 1, 2018 10:25AM

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

OMG I THINK I KNOW WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN. SO, MEI IS GOING TO KEEP WEARING THE RING AROUND HER NECK (on the necklace) AND Then one day the Manager will see it and think that it looks familiar, and he's going to remember Yuzu telling him that the ring was for 'her lover', so he'll assume that Mei is Yuzu's lover! And then he's going to ask Mei about it, and Mei will confess and cry etc. AND THEN he'll let her go and cancel their marriage because he wants her to be happy and to be with Yuzu. So Mei will go back to Yuzu and then... I don't know what. But then I had this idea that maybe the Manager ends up inheriting Aihara academy?? Idk highly unlikely but those are my thoughts :)

Yes ofc. But this is the easiest way to fix all of this.

joined Feb 18, 2018

Seriously, the "letter is a test" seems absurd. Mei wouldn't do that. She's indeed in love but convinced herself she made a good choice.
Seriously, why Yuzu should have to prove once again she has a backbone, the girl is broken after all she did? If it's that, Mei would be more pitiful than in volume 4 and 3 when she did test Yuzu and wanted her to pursue her. And I don't think it was intended like that. Mei's note is final for her, hence the sayonara ending it. Not a twisted way to call Yuzu back, especially seeing how she totally cut herself from school and from any chance to be meet by Yuzu before the wedding.

So I think there are 2 ways the whole story of Citrus can be interpreted (well as much as it can, given it's a soap opera plot lol). In both ways the only characters that matter are Mei and Yuzu, especially Mei, and the others are there as support and that's all.

The first one is the whole "duty vs personal fulfillment". In this case the story is about Mei letting go of her strict/duty-bound ways and living more authentically, and Yuzu is the person helping her do that through her love. From what I read in previous posts this is the most common interpretation. If that's what the manga author also wants as the "moral of the story", then the solution to the engagement problem will most likely be Mei choosing to be with Yuzu out of her own will rather than Yuzu going after her (maybe with support from other characters). So, "carving her own path". Anything other than that would make no sense in the context of what the author is trying to send as a message.

The other one is that the story is about Mei overcoming her fear of being vulnerable and abandoned by people she loves, by turning Yuzu into the person who will always love her and be there for her. I say "turning Yuzu" because Mei was the one starting this whole thing and the story can very well be read as a sequence of shit tests from Mei towards Yuzu. As Yuzu "passes" the tests, matures and they become closer and closer, Mei drops her defenses and heals. In this 2nd interpretation, the letter is basically the ultimate shit test and the "correct solution" is actually for Yuzu to go after her one last time and show that she wants to be with Mei for the long run as adults, rather than as high school crush.

63515893-13a8-47bc-ac30-925c9c72c86e
joined Mar 1, 2018

Remember when chapter 10 came out 3-4 years ago? I sure do. I wanted to cry because it was sooooo good but it only updates about every two months. Years later and now it's chapter 36 and I still want to cry cause I want more. I NEED MORE.

joined Jan 22, 2018

The problem is, even if the manager backs out from the wedding. Mei's grandfather can easily find another marriage partner for her. the only way this could stop is if everyone in the Aihara family will finally found out Mei and Yuzu's relationship but the final decision would still come from Mei.

joined Jan 22, 2018

The Manager can't inherit anything, as he is not from the same family unless he marries Mei. Actually after re-reading some key manga chapters, I confirmed Mei is really 100% head over heels over Yuzu, the girl can't even sleep when Yuzu is late to arrive home and is super possessive/jealous even towards friends like Harumin for no good reason. The possibility this series will end with her marrying some dude is slim...The "Dear Yuzu" letter amounts to a shit test from her to see if Yuzu has a backbone lol

I actually want to see Mei get jealous of Yuzu and Harumin's bff relationship. Yuzu even spends most of her time with Harumin than with anyone else in the manga. Although, Yuzu has a habit of ditching Harumin when it comes to Mei.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic but if there's anyone who has gigantic balls on Citrus. it is Yuzu. She had the guts to confront Mei and her grandfather regarding the school rules, She announced to the whole school that Amemiya is forcing himself to a student which we all know is Mei and wasn't afraid to get a suspension out of it, She didn't back down to Harumin's sister (can't remember her name) to be honest, I don't think anyone can call Yuzu spineless because after all who can still stay in love with Mei and not give up on her when she's cold AF.

last edited at Mar 1, 2018 11:17PM

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

@Matsuri_wins : your second interpretation is too sarcastic and Mei already knows Yuzu was for the long run, that is why she broke drown. Being Mei defender doesn’t need to put everything on Yuzu’s shoulders once again. If it was a test, Mei would deserve to be forgotten by Yuzu. Let’s stay with the serious and most probable interpretation, the duty vs fulfillement.

Chapter 35 and Mei’s behavior (almost a full, third person chapter for once and not a pov Yuzu’s one) contradicts your second interpretation. And really, it really throw Mei under the bus with her being an ultimate toxic and abusive sadist.

last edited at Mar 2, 2018 12:10AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

And really, it really throw Mei under the bus with her being an ultimate toxic and abusive sadist.

Well, although I think your overall point is correct, it is worthwhile remembering how terrifying and borderline rapey Mei’s behavior toward Yuzu initially is. As we’ve gotten to know her and see her through Yuzu’s military-grade yuri goggles, she seems (to those of us who don’t just hate her) to be an emotionally fragile broken bird in need of, and fully deserving of, a large dose of Onee-san Yuzu’s Lovey-Dovey Rehab Sauce. But she starts out every bit as sexually inappropriate as the rapist fiancé (although not as maliciously motivated, to be sure).

A well-deserved smack in the chops from Yuzu seems to have permanently recalibrated her internal moral compass, and I have no doubt about the sincerity of her recent feelings (anguished and self-destructive though they be). But “toxic and abusive” comes pretty close to the mark in describing the Mei we see early on in the story.

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

Well, although I think your overall point is correct, it is worthwhile remembering how terrifying and borderline rapey Mei’s behavior toward Yuzu initially is. As we’ve gotten to know her and see her through Yuzu’s military-grade yuri goggles, she seems (to those of us who don’t just hate her) to be an emotionally fragile broken bird in need of, and fully deserving of, a large dose of Onee-san Yuzu’s Lovey-Dovey Rehab Sauce. But she starts out every bit as sexually inappropriate as the rapist fiancé (although not as maliciously motivated, to be sure).

A well-deserved smack in the chops from Yuzu seems to have permanently recalibrated her internal moral compass, and I have no doubt about the sincerity of her recent feelings (anguished and self-destructive though they be). But “toxic and abusive” comes pretty close to the mark in describing the Mei we see early on in the story.

Yes, I agree on the fact Mei was abusive in the first part, and as you said, Yuzu fixed her and her moral compass because Mei had for the first time someone who really cared no matter what were her flaws. And someone who didn't try to use her, but genuinely wanted her to be happy and safe.

After volume 4, when they became a couple, this side of Mei disappeared. Indeed, she wanted to test Yuzu's determination in the first volumes, but now, the letter and the last volumes show how much she doesn't need to be assured about Yuzu's level of love. She knows how much Yuzu loves her and already made projects for a shared future. And that's what ultimately broke her and decided her to cut Yuzu from her life, for Yuzu's safe (she thinks), and to convince herself that it was better for her familial goal. The brutal way she ended her story with Yuzu (for the moment) and her letter, plus all volume 8 and her conflicted faces showed how much it costed her to break-up. She doesn't try to test Yuzu, she doesn't need to, she already knows. She just assumed that Yuzu will recover sooner or later, but she's wrong. As some people said above, Mei hates herself and genuinely think she doesn't deserve Yuzu, Yuzu deserves better. More than a test, she wants to punish herself only but she failed because Yuzu didn't give up (she stills wears the ring, on the cover and in the chapter, she works hard, and the "I will always love you" is probably more her thought if we look at closely the way she stands) and Yuzu suffers a lot, even after 6/7/8 months hence Shiraho's look when she recognize the ring around Yuzu's neck.

But, she respects Mei's decision and probably wants to believe Mei will make her own definitive choice. We don't know when Yuzu had the letter, when she read it, if she tried to see Mei or not ...

Concerning this "shitty test" interpretation, the more we can think is that Mei's letter is an unconscious SOS call. She says four times she chose her goal with free will as if she tries to convince herself of that, but she debunks that by saying that if she sees Yuzu, her resolve will crumble. It's not a resolve if it's so weak.

Next chapter will probably show more insight into Mei's everyday life after the letter, and maybe some action will be taken by characters. But this time, Mei needs to make her final choice without any pressure or external influence, hence the reason Yuzu stepped back. To have our happy ending, Mei and Yuzu need to be on equal ground. If Yuzu was the one the pass "these test of determination", this relation would have really no reason to exist, because it would be still totally twisted, something Yuzu made sure to change by showing her constant support to Mei. That's why I totally disagree on matsuri-wins' second interpretation.

last edited at Mar 2, 2018 2:35AM

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

We can all agree its time for Mei to take a action and fix all of this. But... but what can kick Mei ass to start all of it?

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

We can all agree its time for Mei to take a action and fix all of this. But... but what can kick Mei ass to start all of it?

I think the more we try to make theories, the more the author will surprise us once again. Mei will need a trigger, the question is what trigger: her own self, after the same 6 months of suffering than Yuzu? Someone else like the manager, her father, Himeko? An unexpected meeting with Yuzu? Something more dramatic involving someone's health? Who knows. Or Ume will reveal her the real reasons why she married Shou.

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

I think the more we try to make theories, the more the author will surprise us once again.

or disappoint

last edited at Mar 2, 2018 3:20AM

ahhhcitrushasruinedme
joined Mar 1, 2018

Wait how old is Mei again? Why is she already getting married?!

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

17 perhaps now, and she is not married yet.

To reply you must either login or sign up.