Forum › Citrus discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

One of the objective of this arranged marriage is to produce a heir

We all do recall that if Shou comes back there is an alternate path to another Aihara heir, right?

joined Jan 22, 2018

We all do recall that if Shou comes back there is an alternate path to another Aihara heir, right?

If Shou do come back and decided to take over the academy. Will it really stop Mei's grandfather from setting her up into an arranged marriage given that it's traditional in their family? and remember he is sick and dying. Mei wouldn't certainly want to disappoint her grandfather at a time like this. well, unless Mei's grandfather dies and I don't think Shou will force Mei into something like that. then yeah it's a possible solution.

last edited at Feb 25, 2018 4:32PM

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

This is deus ex machina. It's Mei turn to fix all of this.

joined Feb 25, 2018

Mei needs something to trigger her decision. She forced herself to choose the Academy at first, but what will make Mei regret her decision?

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

Idk, mayby some of Matsuri plans? I just want Mei to make final decision. Not Shou, not Grampa, not Yuzu. Mei, only Mei.

joined Jan 22, 2018

Mei needs something to trigger her decision. She forced herself to choose the Academy at first, but what will make Mei regret her decision?

Mei chose her decision half-heartedly. I think she will have some regrets either way. if she chose Yuzu and disobey her grandfather. it will probably take a toll on her grandfather's health. leaving her to blame herself for what happened.

the only solution to this is if their family accepted them and if Mei stop running away from her feelings for Yuzu.

if we do get have a happy ending. I hope we have an extra chapter where Yuzu and Mei finally do it. (drool)

last edited at Feb 25, 2018 4:49PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Well of course Mei has to make a decision in favor of Yuzu--if there's going to be a happy ending, that's a given. And in one sense, we should all just sit quietly and see what actually happens in the story.

But if we're having fun speculating about what's going to happen, we need to examine what mechanisms are available to create the turn in the story and to untangle the plot complications, and there are potentially plenty of them. The question of "how many chapters are actually left?" is quite relevant, because that's an indication of how complicated and drawn out the process is likely to be. (Given the track record of Citrus so far, "pretty drawn out and complicated" is not a bad bet.)

"Who is going to run the academy after Gramps?" and "Who is going to carry on the Aihara name?" are not exactly the same questions. Shou suddenly appearing and solving all the problems in a chapter or two would indeed be a deus-ex-machina solution, but he's potentially involved in a more complex solution to both of them. (And given how important his absence has been to Mei's psyche AND to creating the family-inheritance problem, it would be a major dropped stitch in the story if he didn't return by the end.)

last edited at Feb 25, 2018 5:10PM

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Citrus is not realistic so it's OK, a solution will be found. But in real life there would never be a short-term solution to their situation except if they literally took off together and never looked back, which is unrealistic given they are both teenagers. What would likely happen is for Mei to tell Gramps and her dad she doesn't wish to be in an arranged marriage and wishes to marry for love in the future (I bet the dad would be supportive, and the Gramps would have to suck it up). Keep the relationship secret from the family and once they are financially independent then take off/do whatever they want, which likely would mean Mei being "forever single" as chairman of the academy and Yuzu accepting to be in a "don't ask don't tell" kind of lifestyle as far as Mei's career goes (even if friends and family know about it). That's not so bad, I mean actors and other famous people used to do that all the time and still doing it. Besides, Yuzu did say she wanted to be a housewife :P

last edited at Feb 25, 2018 6:41PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

What would likely happen is . . .

Geez, where's the fun in all that?

Of course, you're exactly right--we'd end up with two aging sisters living together, neither ever having found "just the right man" for some unknown reason, one "the fun one" and the other a strict schoolmarm who's always scolding the first one, and only if you were to look closely would you realize that one of the bedrooms actually gets a lot more wear and tear than the other.

A way, although probably not the Citrus way.

last edited at Feb 25, 2018 6:56PM

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

@matsuri_wins: That would indeed be the realistic option in the case Shou does not step in and Mei remains determined to lead the academy. That is to say, that would be the happy ending realistic option. But whether Saburouta will go for a more mango-like approach remains to be seen. Because that is the thing, society here has not really been portrayed as fundamentally different than in real life (I am reminded when Yuzu bumped into two of her friends from her previous school, and they were all "whoa, hehe, all-female school, some girls do that sort of thing, I guess with no guys around blabla", and Yuzu looked hurt and almost on the verge of telling them, but she stopped herself, as far as I remember), so I do not know how a more mango-like approach (like, for example, the two of them just being openly gay without any social repercussions) would actually fit within the confines of the story itself.

It is quite interesting, because I suspect many people would be dissatisfied with your proposed ending, but within what we are presented in the story itself, that actually looks like the most doable happy ending, short of Shou actually swallowing his 'philosophy' and coming back. Do note, though, that him taking over the school would not necessarily mean Mei and Yuzu now get to be open about it, because Mei might still want to take over one day (since this now became her wish as well), in which case secrecy of their relationship is just as needed as it is in your scenario.

last edited at Feb 25, 2018 7:09PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

that actually looks like the most doable happy ending, short of Shou actually swallowing his 'philosophy' and coming back.

C'mon folks, let's think outside the box a little--I can easily see Shou coming back to establish a Montessori-style (that's child-centered, exploratory education, for those unfamiliar) touchy-feelie kiddie annex complete with giant plushies while Mei cracks the whip in the academy proper for the rich-wives-in-waiting.

I'll shut up now . . .

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Of course, you're exactly right--we'd end up with two aging sisters living together, neither ever having found "just the right man" for some unknown reason, one "the fun one" and the other a strict schoolmarm who's always scolding the first one, and only if you were to look closely would you realize that one of the bedrooms actually gets a lot more wear and tear than the other.

A way, although probably not the Citrus way.

Funny they never married.

joined Feb 18, 2018

With few exceptions, I used to not like yuri manga because a lot of it strikes me as too unrealistic. Either unrealistic because of the setting (like Strawberry Panic and other "the world has never been homophobic" or "everybody is gay" kind of scenario) or because of the characters (super saccharine girls that can do no wrong). Netsuzou Trap changed that for me, I know many people don't like it because of the cheating aspect but it's frighteningly realistic, which I guess is why it makes people so uncomfortable lol

Then I decided to read Citrus...what I have to say is that Citrus seems to be this really odd in-between where it has realistic vibes but the way the story is written is so damn weird that you cannot help but wonder if you are supposed to take any of it seriously. So actually no, I don't really think my "realistic ending" will fly in the end. I am fully expecting Yuzu to crash the wedding and last scene to be Mei and Yuzu running away to live and be gay in Canada or something.

last edited at Feb 25, 2018 8:29PM

Fbphoto
joined Feb 26, 2018

Gods, reading this series has been a roller coaster...it hurt a little, too. I really hope Mei does right by Yuzu but there's no guarantee. Yuri has a long, long history of tragic endings, especially in the older material.

Mei is hurting, but at the same time, she's tearing poor Yuzucchi up by acting like this. Some part of me actually hopes Yuzu gets sick of it and dumps her for someone else, as unfair as that may seem.

last edited at Feb 26, 2018 2:28AM

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

@Uranus: What's a ''mango-like approach''? Sorry I'm unfamiliar with this term.

joined Sep 6, 2015

I meant how many manga take rather unrealistic approaches, in this specific case, how openly gay characters are often not met with any sort of animosity from their surroundings (which can vary from this aspect simply not being addressed at all, all the way to "waah, cuuuute" reactions from people around them), even when such works are set in Japan, or even worse (as is in this case), Japanese schools, which are notorious for bullying, and being openly gay is almost a guarantee societal rejection and bullying will happen. Parents and other family members are also most often simply not a factor in these scenarios.

Now, given how parents, social norms and expectations are fairly well depicted in this work, chances of Saburouta going for something like that are slim at best, but she could go for some sort of middle approach, where the biggest obstacle for the main couple is Mei's state of mind, and once that is resolved, all these other considerations are downplayed and treated as nothing an inspiring speech from Yuzu could not solve. Personally, I would not be a fan of this happening, but it is a possibility.

last edited at Feb 26, 2018 3:08AM

Little Bits Of Mini
Josuke
joined Nov 8, 2013

Reading through some of the newer chapters and realized, that there seemed to be many times where Mei had probably wanted to tell Yuzu the truth about how she felt, and about her marriage if only Yuzu had not disregarded what she had to say at times. So when it was time for her to leave, it was already too late. It seems like the only glimmer of hope we have left is for Yuzu to fight for Mei like she's always have in her own way. I think Mei wants to be saved even though she doesn't admit it.

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

I meant how many manga take rather unrealistic approaches, in this specific case, how openly gay characters are often not met with any sort of animosity from their surroundings (which can vary from this aspect simply not being addressed at all, all the way to "waah, cuuuute" reactions from people around them), even when such works are set in Japan, or even worse (as is in this case), Japanese schools, which are notorious for bullying, and being openly gay is almost a guarantee societal rejection and bullying will happen. Parents and other family members are also most often simply not a factor in these scenarios.

Oh... thanks for explaining :-)

Now, given how parents, social norms and expectations are fairly well depicted in this work, chances of Saburouta going for something like that are slim at best, but she could go for some sort of middle approach, where the biggest obstacle for the main couple is Mei's state of mind, and once that is resolved, all these other considerations are downplayed and treated as nothing an inspiring speech from Yuzu could not solve. Personally, I would not be a fan of this happening, but it is a possibility.

Same. I will absolutely hate it if SU opts this kind of narrative. Please no. That would not fit this series.

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

[...] that there seemed to be many times where Mei had probably wanted to tell Yuzu the truth about how she felt, and about her marriage if only Yuzu had not disregarded what she had to say at times.

That's the problem when you're too considerate of somebody/have low self-confidence. Yuzu absolutely doesn't want to make Mei feel bad about anything, I guess given their history she had some reasons of wanting to avoid that.

At the first hint of trouble, Yuzu was always trying to defuse the situation by being comprehensive and kind, or just by goofying it out, and I do wonder if that discouraged Mei from saying anything bad to her. Either because she felt it would be okay since Yuzu is so comprehensive or she couldn't stand watch her step-sister being depressed after being her only sunshine; depending on her state of mind.

@ Yuri queen I guess I can see where you're coming from, even if I slightly disagree with how the first physical contact would be interpreted (before the end of vol2). My point being that Yuzu pushed for a relationship even when Mei was trying to distance herself.

There has been a lot of back and forth between the two, I guess I won't be able to agree with the fact that Mei was some kind of manipulative sadist without any consideration towards her step-sister; and that Yuzu was just a helpless victim.

But that's still going with the theory that Mei don't like herself very much, so what could be seen as a dick move on her part is, actually, a kind act for her. It all has to do with what the intentions are behind the acts.

last edited at Feb 26, 2018 9:10AM

joined Feb 18, 2018

From Mei's personality and actions she is the "low self-esteem but sensitive and crazy deep feelings" type, and throughout the series it's pretty clear to me that she thinks she is doing Yuzu a favour by not involving her in the mess of her family and responsibilities. Besides, that would be the typical Asian line of thought (not being a burden to others, etc). I would think Yuzu understands what's going on actually, rather than imagining Mei doesn't love her -- after all Mei confessed all her love in the letter. The question is more whether Yuzu herself has enough self-esteem and maturity to believe she would be more important to Mei than her career/family in order to go and try to convince her of it...or whether Mei can conclude on her own that she deserves to be happy and that Yuzu wants her THAT much. But for Mei to conclude that, it's likely she would need to see some bold moves on Yuzu's part that show Yuzu is in for the long haul and not only suffering from severe infatuation. TL;DR: either their love will turn into mature fully committed love or it will remain a forgettable crush, and they have a short time to decide before this marriage goes down, while most couples would have more time lol

@AozTkM: thanks! Luckily I don't need condolences, as my gf and I managed to be together. It was a long uphill battle but sharing life with her every day makes it all worth it. The "Dear Yuzu" letter and subsequent family-related circus happened a few years ago :-)

last edited at Feb 26, 2018 9:50AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I meant how many manga take rather unrealistic approaches, in this specific case, how openly gay characters are often not met with any sort of animosity from their surroundings

I'm a little unclear how dismissive you mean the term "mango" to be (if at all). I actually quite enjoy the wide range of relations to "reality" in yuri manga, even in the non-overtly supernatural or fantasy series.

Popular culture stories in general have been called "imaginary solutions to real problems," and while, depending on the premises of a given story, the "mango" approach can in fact amount to an artistic cop-out, sometimes it's great to just have a story where all that's at issue is how the people feel about each other (and themselves) rather than also making them grapple with how society feels about them.

tl,dr: My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness or Kase-san: good yuri is good.

joined Feb 18, 2018

Completely changing topics: I mentioned that it seems Matsuri and Harumin will become a couple. My question is, is it possible they are already a couple but since the story is mostly under Yuzu's perspective, we don't know that yet? Reason being, Matsuri actually tells Nene pretty nonchalantly that Harumin only sees Yuzu as a friend, and that Harumin is her girlfriend in a very "no big deal" manner. Although Matsuri has pretty questionable behaviour, lying has never been one of them...in fact she has the opposite problem, "no filter" (to the point everything she has said is prophetic, like her evaluation of Mei as a "pawn being used by others" shortly after meeting her). Harumin is not seen protesting about Matsuri and her sharing rooms during the Summer trip either and is often worried about her. I vaguely remember also that Matsuri calls Yuzu from Harumin's phone? And now she is in the same school, which yes could be because of friendship reasons but pretty suspicious considering everything else.

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

Can Matsuri become Harumi girlfriend? Ofc she can. But i dont like this idea...

joined Feb 18, 2018

Why is it that you don't like it? I suppose Matsuri has manipulative tendencies, but so does Mei and yet people are OK with shipping a nice girl like Yuzu with her...I'd actually say Matsuri has evolved past her problematic behaviours much faster than Mei has, and she shows concern for her friends much more openly while Mei shows concern for...Yuzu I guess at times, and no one else? Anyways I'd say the possibility that the story would have even side characters get together faster than the MC's is hilarious and so sad at the same time...

joined Sep 6, 2015

I meant how many manga take rather unrealistic approaches, in this specific case, how openly gay characters are often not met with any sort of animosity from their surroundings

I'm a little unclear how dismissive you mean the term "mango" to be (if at all). I actually quite enjoy the wide range of relations to "reality" in yuri manga, even in the non-overtly supernatural or fantasy series.

Not at all dismissive, I enjoy them too. I just call these traits such because of how often manga works go for that approach. Most of my favourite oneshots are in that range, so no, I did not mean it negatively. It is just that in the case of "Citrus" it would not fit, given how Saburouta depicted the society, and put special emphasis on Mei's social position. After all that, going for this approach would be kind of a cop-out.

To reply you must either login or sign up.