Forum › Citrus discussion

Jhkjhk
joined Jan 7, 2014

I felt insulted, I responded accordingly, that was more verbal jousting than anything else. I guess I shouldn't have.

Might as well say "I get offended at literally everything and I just cannot stand when people don't see things the way I see them" then. Ignore what you know you can't tolerate rather than making yourself look desperate 24/7. I have noticed this pattern in your posting, hence my aggressiveness. Nonetheless, I apologize for my language, I can't seem to think twice most times before posting.

Completely cutting off Yuzu is a dick move, but that doesn't make the story bad, just a melodrama. I'm glad we had an explanation from Mei though.

The entire manga was like this, though? There were maybe 4-5 chapters where they were dating where I could almost see Mei try to step out of her comfort bubble and open up to Yuzu, easing the pain she has put her through. Which was then officially undone by the outcome of the following chapters, of course. I am no stranger to broken characters with past traumas and irrational behaviors, but my tolerance has been wiped out throughout the course of almost 40 chapters with no closure for Yuzu. Isn't it sad, becoming aware that Yuzu's happy moments were her being blissfully ignorant and borderline delusional, because Mei claims she loves her but then contradicts herself by stating she is doing all of this for her own sake?

joined Jun 15, 2013

It's because a lot of us enjoy it even if we're pointing out flaws or things that annoy us.

Yeah that’s what I was getting at. Citrus is still likeable, and the people who keep complaining about it are the ones who’ve been reading it since the beginning. Just thought it was interesting.

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

If Saburo Uta actually ended this manga like how I described then it is really one of the most mature endings i've ever read and this manga should be labled among people as "Aimed Towards Prudent and Mature people" though i know a lot of people will call it a bad ending.

I know my comment wont be liked by many and is not gonna get much attention but im writing this to rational and mature people who know what they are doing with their life.

Citrus will have happy ending. So there is 2 options:
1. Just like you said.
2. Mei will fix all of this in some way.

last edited at Feb 18, 2018 10:24AM

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

And you still miss my point. At this point Mei's dream isn't inheriting the Academy or upholding the Family's tradition, her dream is to be with Yuzu but she can't forego that burden in the same way Shou or Yuzu could.

Mei lacks that courage to break from the traditions she was raised to believe. And she acknowledges her own cowardice in her letter.

I got your point

joined Feb 10, 2018

We can all tell how bad this latest chapter was, but one thing for sure...

We WILL come back to read more.

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

I thought there will be more closure in regards to their relationship post time skip. Either SU wanted to keep us on suspense or they're just lazy.
And I just found out that SU is a straight, married woman too. No wonder she's really bad at handling the characters.

Not all yuri artists have to be lesbians or bisexuals, tho a lot are, well some of the best.

joined Jun 12, 2015

^Of course, because we can read it for free here. Easy access. No money loss.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Yes, because humans never have conflicting feelings and motivations. Humans never want multiple, different things that are sometimes diagonally opposed to each other. Humans are simple, uncomplicated creatures that only ever operate with one single motivation in mind. And obviously, love is the most important motivation of all. Therefore, if you are not prepared to drop your own family (whom you love) and all other dreams you might have (like running the academy) like hot potatoes the moment love enters the picture, then the only possible explanation is that it was not love in the first place. You nailed it. As usual.

Remind me, at what point in the manga does it explain that Mei has to get married to inherit the school? Oh, wait it never did, not once did it ever explain how the two are connected.

Also, remind me where Mei explained that inheriting the school has always been her dream? Never mind, it actually explains that she was anticipating for her father to return and take over the school instead. Her "dream" to inherit the school is actually relatively new to her and completely lacks any actual presented motivations that Shou didn't easily shut down.

The school is just an excuse because there is no actual love there at all. If there was then Mei would have taken a page from her own father and pursued what she actually wanted. But since she doesn't actually love Yuzu her new dream to become headmaster wins out easily.

joined Feb 10, 2018

^Of course, because we can read it for free here. Easy access. No money loss.

Yeah. But im referring mostly to people whose talking how bad this story is turning out. I, too, want to drop Citrus, but heck got emotionally invested with it. I want to see the ending no matter how it would be deliver.

On Cannibal's commentary

In my perspective, Mei does love Yuzu, but their love for each other is not equal. She just doesn't have the courage to go against traditions or her feelings are not deep enough to make her fight for Yuzu.

last edited at Feb 18, 2018 11:26AM

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

I cant forgive what mei has done to yuzu and now this is the final blow. its like bruh if thats what you decided for yourself since you were a child why suddenly become a gay and start kissing and teasing yuzu..

The only explanation is that she actually LOVES YUZU A LOT, contrary to what people are assuming , its like are you people dumb ? if she didn't love yuzu she wouldn't even give her a look and kept progressing towards her dream just like how she always treated Himeko but Yuzu is different, She truly loved her.so the dream that she has always followed and her love for yuzu opposed each other.

What People Didn't Notice is that Mei HAD BEEN SUFFERING CONSTANTLY, and EVEN Yuzu can't do anything for her in this state. Actually what Mei has did is probably one of the most difficult decisions i have ever saw. She is truly strong not weak like how people are saying..I Really Respect Her decision and I think Yuzu should too,YES ITS HARD,I know, its really hard BUT just like how Mei decided this hard resolve Yuzu should too if she truly loved her , its never too late, both of them are still very young and could forget eventually.even if Mei threw all of her dreams aside and decided to stay beside Yuzu still, the ghosts from the past will come back to hunt her and will especially hunt Yuzu leading her to think it was better if she didn't fall in love with Mei and many of other hardships.Mei did this for her own good in the future and for Yuzu's good too, she actually did it out of her pure love for Yuzu so she won't get hurt in the end in the future, yes she will be hurt a lot in the beginning but she will get over it believe me. so Thinking this through is better than regretting it in the future.

i don't want to be this kind of person but what made me write this is that because i knew two women who always loved each other and i was their friend and respected their love, but once they faced the pressure of society and the difficulties of two women living alone with no men helping them with money or protecting them and with no children there to be by their side when they get old one of them has committed suicide and the other has followed her.

Im not saying you should believe my story but regardless what im trying to say is that you should think of these things properly and not take it lightly without giving in to your emotions so you won't be facing those kind of hardships in your real life,I'm saying this for your own good, If you wanna be gay then be prepared for it!!! don't drive your lover crazy in the future.
if you cant respect a manga ending or got depressed over it,then im sorry to tell you that being a gay is not for you, to be a gay is not for weak people and is not just a sexual preference it is a matter of being able to live a decent life or a depressing life.

I had always thought Citrus was a dumb drama and only kept reading it because it was entertaing nonetheless , I didnt think it would get this dramatic towards the end and actually leads you to questioning your views about life

If Saburo Uta actually ended this manga like how I described then it is really one of the most mature endings i've ever read and this manga should be labled among people as "Aimed Towards Prudent and Mature people" though i know a lot of people will call it a bad ending.

I know my comment wont be liked by many and is not gonna get much attention but im writing this to rational and mature people who know what they are doing with their life.

I can see that you are an intelligent person who thinks about the world rationally, but there's still some things that tick me off in your comment. (no offence)

1. People say she is weak because she made Yuzu fall for her really hard, even though she knew that what she wanted (taking over the academy) didn't work with the relationship. Also she didn't have the guts to tell her personally. I agree though, if Mei wanted to run the academy truly, she needed to break the relationship off. But I also think it is past the point where Yuzu can just laugh it off. She scarred her for life. Will Yuzu ever love someone like that again out of fear if the person just up and disappears without seeing her again?

2. So, are you implying that it is better for a lesbian to marry a guy and live a loveless life with children? Because you can't really chose to be gay, you know? And what if her marriage falls apart, because she can't give the man the sex he wants, because she just doesn't like penis?

3. It's not mature to just accept that society is fucked up. Where would we be if everyone had always ever accepted it?

4. I think Citrus will not meet your standards of a well written ending.

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

The entire manga was like this, though? There were maybe 4-5 chapters where they were dating where I could almost see Mei try to step out of her comfort bubble and open up to Yuzu, easing the pain she has put her through. Which was then officially undone by the outcome of the following chapters, of course. I am no stranger to broken characters with past traumas and irrational behaviors, but my tolerance has been wiped out throughout the course of almost 40 chapters with no closure for Yuzu. Isn't it sad, becoming aware that Yuzu's happy moments were her being blissfully ignorant and borderline delusional, because Mei claims she loves her but then contradicts herself by stating she is doing all of this for her own sake?

I agree with you. It seems that everytime Mei gets some sort of character development, the author decides to undo that in just the next chapter. I mean, just last chapter i thought that maybe, just maybe, we wouldn't go the usual cliched route of "I have to marry this schmuck cuz my family needs it, so goodbye forever" type of storyline we always see in romance stories, but we went there and the way this would unfold would be exactly like every other story we've seen with the same plot device. Yuzu would be the knight in shining armor that would save the helpless Mei from the clutches of bad marriage and all shitty actions would be forgiven cuz "I love you" and everyone would live happily ever after.

Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016

Oh well.

Japan, man. For all the time I've known the country, duty is the backbone of their society. Just a few months ago the Tsukuba train company issued an official apology for one train of theirs who left 20 FRIKKIN SECONDS earlier (the next train was ONLY 4 minutes later). Take another example, say, how difficult it is to explain the concept of the super famous kanji "makoto," which some westerners translate as "truth" or "honesty," but I believe the closest equivalent will be "loyalty," i.e. "duty." (There are quite a number Japanese books written on the concept of "makoto" ALONE).

Long story short, what we see as SU's falling short on story telling might give an insight, if only a little, into the sense of "duty" that Japan and us non-Japanese don't share. Kinda telling, I think, when we compare the reaction of Japanese and non-Japanese fans towards the latest chapter.

Still. I'm kinda hoping that this latest update is merely the "ten" part of the classic kishotenketsu method of story telling. Chance's slim, but girls can hope.

joined Sep 18, 2017

I know there are going to be extras (like the rest of the volumes) but I don't see a To-Be-Continued anywhere - please give me proof this will continue please?

joined Jan 11, 2018

Oh well.

Japan, man. For all the time I've known the country, duty is the backbone of their society. Just a few months ago the Tsukuba train company issued an official apology for one train of theirs who left 20 FRIKKIN SECONDS earlier (the next train was ONLY 4 minutes later). Take another example, say, how difficult it is to explain the concept of the super famous kanji "makoto," which some westerners translate as "truth" or "honesty," but I believe the closest equivalent will be "loyalty," i.e. "duty." (There are quite a number Japanese books written on the concept of "makoto" ALONE).

Long story short, what we see as SU's falling short on story telling might give an insight, if only a little, into the sense of "duty" that Japan and us non-Japanese don't share. Kinda telling, I think, when we compare the reaction of Japanese and non-Japanese fans towards the latest chapter.

Still. I'm kinda hoping that this latest update is merely the "ten" part of the classic kishotenketsu method of story telling. Chance's slim, but girls can hope.

For another bit of insight, falling asleep in public is also considered normal for corporate culture. It shows that you were working hard even to the point of exhaustion and a sign of respect is at the end of the day telling your boss they look tired because it means you think they were working hard.

Here and most other places falling asleep would seem rude, neglectful, or even a sign the person is having self destructive behavior and is in need of a break or help. So yeah cultural differences and all that jazz.

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

I know there are going to be extras (like the rest of the volumes) but I don't see a To-Be-Continued anywhere - please give me proof this will continue please?

It would continue, this is not the end of Citrus yet. Yuri-Hime confirmed that there would be no chapter next month though, so we will get the new chapter in April.

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

Proofs :

• the author never talked about the ending and the final in the chapter's promotion. Kodama did (NTR's author).
  • no "to be continued", but no "fin" either
  • the anime is airing, its purpose is to increase the manga's sells, the manga needs to continue during the anime
  • a final chapter is always announced in the previous issue of YH with the word "climax": クライマツクス, it was the case for NTR, and other series which ended last year when they were listed on the preview page
  • a final chapter is always listed as a climax in the issue where it is published on the final cover of the magazine. Citrus is listed on the ongoing series.
  • the author promised happy ending in the last 4 volumes in the afterwords
  • Yuri Hime policy: the most popular series and a series that help to sell the magazine would end so badly without any notice? -Volume 9 promotion incoming with a bonus card showing the OTP in a wedding dress ... to buy a volume ending the manga on the exact opposite note?
  • another chapter was announced for March but has been put on hiatus since the volume 9 is released. Yuri Hime made an announcement, only to precise that the chapter was on break for Yuri hime n°5 (in March), not forever.

And more narrative reasons :
- We didn't see one of the MC. A series ending without seeing Mei...
- We didn't have any dialogues and speeches from the cast except Yuzu and Ume ... Will a manga end obliterating all their characters?
- too many loose ends. the father? the grandfather?

I think the lack of to be continued is a stylistic editorial choice. It's Mei's letter, hence Mei's words who is the narrator. On the graphics level, a to be continued would have ruined the impact of the "goodbye", visually but also on the meaning in Mei's mind. This goodbye is final for her.

last edited at Feb 18, 2018 12:40PM

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

SU just want buy time to fix all dramas and give us a SWEET HAPPY ending just like she promes.

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

Let's not forget she has the bonus to do but also the chapter 33 to fix, and it's not only 2 or 3 pages like the other chapter she had to fix when it was bimonthly.

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

I have a question. OK, two questions.

First, this chapter had a time skip; obviously Yuzu & Co. are in their 3rd year now. I read it somewhere else that it was a 7 month time skip, it doesn't really add up. How much time has passed since the events of chapter 35? Can somebody clear my confusion?

Second, some people in this thread said that Japanese fans reacted differently to this chapter, like they reacted positively or something. Where did you find this news? Do you have any link? I'm curious.

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

chapter 35 ends with the last day of summer break before the second semester of 2nd year. Mei's BD is in September, she would have had 17 years.
chapter 36, we see the sakura petal and 3A for Yuzu's classroom. We are in April, some days/one week/2 weeks after the beginning of the new year of school.
So 7/8 months probably, sure : 6-8.

For the reactions, just look at twitter with #citrus and citrus 芽衣, you'll have plenty of reaction. They are very lucid, rationalize the situation but also there's many sadness. They are happy to have heard Mei's feelings and are looking forward the happy ending, they are mostlyYuri Hime buyers, so they know the way it works with mangas published here.

joined Mar 15, 2017
  • a final chapter is always announced in the previous issue of YH with the word "climax": クライマツクス, it was the case for NTR, and other series which ended last year when they were listed on the preview page
  • a final chapter is always listed as a climax in the issue where it is published on the final cover of the magazine. Citrus is listed on the ongoing series.

Both those things are a case of "sometimes", not "always".

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

I highly doubt they would do it for NTR and minor series last year, and not Citrus. their flagship series.

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

chapter 35 ends with the last day of summer break before the second semester of 2nd year. Mei's BD is in September, she would have had 17 years.
chapter 36, we see the sakura petal and 3A for Yuzu's classroom. We are in April, some days/one week/2 weeks after the beginning of the new year of school.
So 7/8 months probably, sure : 6-8.

That makes sense, thank you.

For the reactions, just look at twitter with #citrus and citrus 芽衣, you'll have plenty of reaction. They are very lucid, rationalize the situation but also there's many sadness. They are happy to have heard Mei's feelings and are looking forward the happy ending, they are mostlyYuri Hime buyers, so they know the way it works with mangas published here.

Thanks!

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

Might as well say "I get offended at literally everything and I just cannot stand when people don't see things the way I see them" then. Ignore what you know you can't tolerate rather than making yourself look desperate 24/7. I have noticed this pattern in your posting, hence my aggressiveness. Nonetheless, I apologize for my language, I can't seem to think twice most times before posting.

Not really. Well, if you read my most recent posts it appears that way, but in that case I just took it too personally; and also the fact that I get (very) passionate when I disagree with something. I apologise as well for my petty taunts.

The entire manga was like this, though? There were maybe 4-5 chapters where they were dating where I could almost see Mei try to step out of her comfort bubble and open up to Yuzu, easing the pain she has put her through.

Can't really argue against that, I could disagree with the number of chapters, but yes the whole story is about pain and angst, mainly for Yuzu. I guess the fact that people react that strongly about it proves that Saburouta created a very good character (at least one you can empathise with) and excels at emotionally torturing her.

Harumin is also a witness to that fact given how much people love her, and I think Matsuri has really well evolved. Mei still looks like a hopeless case somehow, not completely in my book, she just acts like people that run away from their feelings/insecurities.

Isn't it sad, becoming aware that Yuzu's happy moments were her being blissfully ignorant and borderline delusional, because Mei claims she loves her but then contradicts herself by stating she is doing all of this for her own sake?

It is, it shows how much Yuzu is in love with Mei, and how this love can only exist if they ignore what (their) society tells them. And I think (well more like know, because that's what the author decided, but that may be too meta), Mei is in love with her but just can't let go of the values she grew up with (yet). It's just as she wrote : in order to uphold those values, she can't bring herself to face Yuzu lest she would probably drop everything. And Yuzu being too kind for her own good probably doesn't want to go after her in order to let Mei follow her goals; I'm assuming that's the case otherwise I guess it would've been shown.

So, are you implying that it is better for a lesbian to marry a guy and live a loveless life with children? Because you can't really chose to be gay, you know? And what if her marriage falls apart, because she can't give the man the sex he wants, because she just doesn't like penis?

This is an arranged marriage, I don't know how love get into the equation, but I'm pretty sure it can (and should) work out without it. It's not a love marriage.

It's not mature to just accept that society is fucked up. Where would we be if everyone had always ever accepted it?

It worked for a long time, from society's pov, maybe not from an individual's pov or for one's happiness. But I guess we have to throw away some stuff that people can't accept any more in order to evolve in a certain direction.

last edited at Feb 18, 2018 1:44PM

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

This 6-7 months time-skip is a very convenient way to avoid many threads, but it still sucks. Why show us all this things what Mei talked about, better give us a fucking letter xddd.

To reply you must either login or sign up.