Forum › Posts by thranduilion

thranduilion
Image Comments 30 Mar 10:35
Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016
C8qns3_vyaa3hom-orig

@Midnightgunner Well, equivalent to Mercy being the token hot older blonde character, D.va is the token cute young Asian girl. Both are stereotypical, yes.

thranduilion
Citrus discussion 18 Feb 12:05
Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016

Oh well.

Japan, man. For all the time I've known the country, duty is the backbone of their society. Just a few months ago the Tsukuba train company issued an official apology for one train of theirs who left 20 FRIKKIN SECONDS earlier (the next train was ONLY 4 minutes later). Take another example, say, how difficult it is to explain the concept of the super famous kanji "makoto," which some westerners translate as "truth" or "honesty," but I believe the closest equivalent will be "loyalty," i.e. "duty." (There are quite a number Japanese books written on the concept of "makoto" ALONE).

Long story short, what we see as SU's falling short on story telling might give an insight, if only a little, into the sense of "duty" that Japan and us non-Japanese don't share. Kinda telling, I think, when we compare the reaction of Japanese and non-Japanese fans towards the latest chapter.

Still. I'm kinda hoping that this latest update is merely the "ten" part of the classic kishotenketsu method of story telling. Chance's slim, but girls can hope.

thranduilion
Image Comments 03 Feb 11:11
Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016
62437099_p0

@yuriodaisuki Haha, in fact I've never got to watch it beyond a few couple of eps of season 2, but damn Nat's got a gorgeous side profile. That jaw, dayum.

thranduilion
Image Comments 02 Feb 21:45
Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016
62437099_p0

There's a great one-shot on AO3, "In Another Life" by fall_into_life.

Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016

As a southern girl, I for the life of me can't ever imagine Mari being southern. Maybe New York or Buffalo or somewhere else in Upstate.

That aside, this doujin's Kanan's way to processes things are top-notch.

Edit: my favorite parts are
- Kanan admitting she's done fucking up - that's in line with the canon
- Kanan running after Dia in her indoor shoes - that's YUUGE in Japan
- them crying together (17_68)
- Dia's self worth assessment (17_72) - again, canon!

And everything that is Mari.

Thank you, translator-tachi!

last edited at Oct 4, 2017 11:43AM

thranduilion
Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016

That's some delicate censoring there.

thranduilion
Image Comments 28 Sep 02:09
Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016
691d83e8bc62ad3b3c8acd26ce89641b_470

All the Kancolle jokes = win.

Alisa is idol!Shimakaze in another life.

Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016

Technically this is all one long doujin... it's just one long-ass doujin so I'm not surprised they split up the releases like this.

Excellent source material and excellent TL keep up the good work <3

Seconding this. Kudos!

Also, in a much more realistic world, the ending is just. Well. I mean, with the way school year-based grouping in Sunshine world, let's just say that there's no way they could expand up like the original LL. (Safe to say this is what I want addressed in the second season as well.)

Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016

Dare I say this is all about Riko's... guilty kiss(es)?

thranduilion
Citrus discussion 10 Sep 11:06
Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016

Whoever translated the puns, I salute thee.

thranduilion
Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016

The now is the best time, and the unwillingness to roll ("maki") back the time. This is BokuHika all over again.

Non-yuri aside, I do think that the first years get the shortest of the straw of every disbanding since they have to bear the brunt of memories the most. Personality wise, at Otonoki Maki is the most apt member to dwell on this. At Uranohoshi? I really, really couldn't find one among the first year trio.

thranduilion
xxx discussion 05 Sep 02:20
Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016

Everything about this doujin is diamond. 14/10. Thanks, Obama.

thranduilion
Beloved L discussion 16 Jun 23:40
Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016

Still can't get over of how mutedly beautiful the watercolor art is. Let's see if the story can catch up to that--or at least keep being consistent at the subtlety of numb adulthood.

Very reminiscent of the messed up professor in JM Coetzee's "Disgrace," by the way.

Oh, and "Landslide." That's just not fair, Jaeliu. Take responsibility of my pool of tears.

Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016

whispers THREE MERMAIDS

thranduilion
Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016

What light?

As Freya said, the original says "The river... I saw the river...", as in Korean culture (and others), "crossing the river" is a way to euphemistically refer to death. I didn't think that the literal TL would flow quite as well in English, so I decided to change it a bit.

After toying with other possible TLs like "I almost... crossed over...", I settled on the current form (the "light" being a reference to when people "see the light" during near-death experiences) - mainly because of space limitations. Korean is pretty space-efficient with its block characters so it can fit a lot more in tiny bubbles than English. :')

Yep, the River of Three Crossings--a Buddhist term for some sort of the Styx river in Greek mythology. Buddhist Japanese leave six mon coins in a deceased's coffin so that the deceased can pay the fee to cross the river--akin to how the Greek paid Charon for his boat service.

Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016

I must know what Umi's sister whispered to Eli. (T_T)

"Hail Hydra"

Or, you know, what Sakurazuka whispers to Subaru before his death that has haunted the whole X fandom for... check notes oh just 14 years by now.

Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016

Aaah the chapter that made me read Umi's SID novel... :')

thranduilion
Image Comments 20 Mar 10:37
Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016
Tumblr_olkbiheym31qm0wz2o2_r1_1280

I think this is closer to the Mari Kimino-sensei intends to write. She's not as flirty as fans take her to be, and she's as easily flustered as the rest of the group. Think of the difference between Ainya's flirty!Mari and Kimino-sensei's happy-go-lucky!Mari in Aqours' early public stage (English sub: https://youtu.be/2Cj9i3ml51E?t=23m50s). Not saying that she can't be both, but it makes more sense in a way that non-anime!Eli is not always the reliable big sister figure she is in the anime.

thranduilion
Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016

Haruka, is that you?

Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016

Finally some more love for oneesan-tachi! I don't mind the art style, which is akin to Minekura Kazuya and Oshima Tsukasa's (and is right up my alley), and it's fitting for Musashi, I guess. You can't get more distinct sisters in Kancolle than the Yamato-class.

Pp. 16-18: that's some detailed titty shading there, Takewan.

P. 19: Musashi's face = right in the feels.

last edited at Jan 21, 2017 5:49PM

thranduilion
Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016

I'm stuck with how to transfer that mouthful (witty, but mouthful) title--Suki suki daisuki sandoichi/sandwich--into English, but then you folks just have to deliver Ecchi sketchy sakurauchi. XD

last edited at Jan 10, 2017 3:22AM

thranduilion
Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016

Oooh it's finally here. Thank you for your hard work! I just wished you'd translated the author's note, and now am wondering how the kidnapping in the third book fits into the political concern of this series' universe.

thranduilion
Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016

Finally tomonari! The level of thirst on every page is unquenchable, my lord...

thranduilion
Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016

This story should change its title to "What the Fuck is Happening?".
I have faith in Sungji. She's not going to go through with it.

I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt.

(But in all seriousness, I'm having a Fruits basket war flashback.)

thranduilion
Carm2
joined Jun 23, 2016

Angsty, third people drama was already done in Seju's arc, I think they should use different techniques with Sungji, so it doesn't feel like they recycle same plots.

Same same but different in term of character name and hair color.

This is a cheapskate move, tbh. :\