Forum › Survey on Yuri Fandom Demographics(UPDATED with Results)

Nicomaki%20profile
joined Aug 7, 2016

Yes, it did ask country of origin. Also quick update: I got sick right after I last said I'd have it done soon, so sorry about that. Once this weekend's over and I've gotten through this season's premiere I should be able to actually finish it up.

Nicomaki%20profile
joined Aug 7, 2016

I've updated the initial post with results.

joined Apr 15, 2013

Thanks for posting the results, they are pretty interesting.

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

Neat. Very useful demographic data there. Good methodology, too.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Unsurprising that there were few het women. More surprising was the number of het women and non-het men who said they like yuri because they're into girls.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

The non-het men also include those who are bi, so that one at least is not that surprising.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

The non-het men also include those who are bi, so that one at least is not that surprising.

Most of the non-het men were bi, then? A substantial percentage chose that option.

joined Apr 28, 2016

Most of the non-het men were bi, then? A substantial percentage chose that option.

To be fair the question asked whether the person likes girls, which can mean a few different things.

Nicomaki%20profile
joined Aug 7, 2016

There were more bi or pan men than gay men, yes.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

No idea about the percentage, and I can not actually recall how the question on sexuality was formulated, so I checked the raw data. It was easy, I went by country, and apparently only two people from my country took the survey. One was under non-het women, so obviously not me, while the other was filed under non-het men. Since I am bi, I figured that is where I got slotted. Would be interesting to know the actual bi percentages, though, for both non-het women and non-het men.

last edited at Oct 14, 2017 11:36PM

Heihtzz
joined Oct 16, 2016

Huh. I'm surprised Kindred Spirits isn't that popular outside of lesbian women.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

To be fair the question asked whether the person likes girls, which can mean a few different things.

Wasn't it that liking girls was a primary reason for being into yuri, rather than liking girls in the more general sense?

joined Apr 28, 2016

That's what I meant. Yuri stories involve girls, so a person could potentially be indifferent about the romance and read yuri simply because they want to read about girls.

Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

Pretty much what I expected. Liking/being attracted to women is the common denominator to liking yuri, not being male or female. And while some series rank higher with certain demographics, there's definitely a lot of overlap.

Two main questions I have: Why does Girlfriends resonate with guys the most, and what percentage of yaoi fans are non-het guys?

last edited at Oct 15, 2017 12:28AM

Nicomaki%20profile
joined Aug 7, 2016

I don't know why Girl Friends is so popular among men; if I had to guess it would be that men tend to be a little less deep into the genre and it's a popular starter work, but that's pure speculation so don't take it as fact.

Non-het men are decently interested in BL(you can check this in the raw data) though not overwhelmingly so.

Reo
joined Feb 4, 2016

I don't know why Girl Friends is so popular among men; if I had to guess it would be that men tend to be a little less deep into the genre and it's a popular starter work, but that's pure speculation so don't take it as fact.

Non-het men are decently interested in BL(you can check this in the raw data) though not overwhelmingly so.

Why don't you use your own survey to answer that? According to "what you enjoy about yuri" graphic, most men enjoy the characters. So men must find Akko and Mari interesting characters or something.

Nicomaki%20profile
joined Aug 7, 2016

Why don't you use your own survey to answer that? According to "what you enjoy about yuri" graphic, most men enjoy the characters. So men must find Akko and Mari interesting characters or something.

That's just as much a guess as what I said. The survey didn't ask why people were interested in specific works so assuming that it's characters(which is a popular reason for every other group as well) is a massive assumption. Not that it can't be correct, but I wouldn't take that as a given.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I don't know why Girl Friends is so popular among men

In my case, since I mostly favorite by creator rather than by title, I was really just saying "Morinaga Milk" by listing her best-known, complete long work.

(I probably like Secret of the Princess even more, although I think that Girl Friends is less flawed and more fully developed.)

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

The fact that the three most listed series among men and women are the same seems pretty remarkable. In general I didn't expect to see so much similarity in selected series in an open-ended question. But I guess that format of sorting them by number of selections might be behind it - the highest ranked series was only chosen by 25% of respondents, so rather than implying that everyone likes the same series, it just means that the pluralities among each group were similar.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

Nice work. Thanks for the effort. Really insightful.
Most surprising take away for me. Low numbers of straight women. Was really hoping they were just reading whatever had love in. Shucks.
I did think straight males like myself made up about 30% of the fandom.

I don't count too many of the really popular manga among my favorite stories. They even turned a few into animes which had me like, "yay! Yuri being made into anime but why did they pick these ones?!"

I suppose the last question threw me a little bit. Initially I was like, none of these are my primary reason for liking yuri. But I guess "liking women" was the closest. It just seemed so broad i guess. I like characters. I just happen to find romance between women immensely interesting. But they gotta be great characters first. I won't go outta my way for boys love stories but If it shows up in something I'm enjoying already I'm OK with that.

last edited at Nov 9, 2017 5:25PM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Nice, pretty interesting results. I'm really interested in the fact that Utena was in top 5 for non-heterosexual women/nonbinary but didn't even register for men. With all of the swords and action and prince stuff, I thought it would be more known/favorited. In the Rose Garden has some really dedicated male fans too. shrug

Surprised to see Flip Flappers on the list for males. I hadn't even thought about it when filling the survey out. Same for Sakura Trick.

I never thought before that heterosexual males made up the majority of the yuri fanbase, I'd always assumed it would be females. I am slightly surprised there's such a low number of heterosexual women, but plurality of demographics being non-straight women with substantial amount of non-binary people was very satisfying to see.

Great results, thank you Zeria for conducting the survey. :) Hope in the future there's a way of eliminating more selection biases.

Reimu-shock
joined Mar 27, 2015

I never thought before that heterosexual males made up the majority of the yuri fanbase, I'd always assumed it would be females. I am slightly surprised there's such a low number of heterosexual women, but plurality of demographics being non-straight women with substantial amount of non-binary people was very satisfying to see.

I'm hetero males but reading yuri a lot haha

last edited at Dec 2, 2017 4:06AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.