Forum › Model-chan and Plain Manager discussion

joined Aug 16, 2015

Alright, just a little PSA : The author did NOT ask anyone to take anything down, they're simply asking people to come to them for permission first before doing translations or other such modifications to their work.
We're just taking down the chapters temporarily (or maybe indefinitely) until we're done talking with the author about the matter.

joined Aug 16, 2015

Update: We sent a message to the author asking for permission to keep scanlating Model-chan and got an answer just now. Sadly, the author was very against it and told us to stop what we were doing.
Sorry for everyone who enjoyed the series, but we're going to respect the author's wishes and take down everything indefinitely in the end.
Here's the series on pixiv if anyone wants to try to read it later: https://www.pixiv.net/user/2408277/series/7714

joined Aug 16, 2015
Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Don't tell anyone.

Imma tell EVERYONE
But yeah, this is more or less the better solution, since it's driving traffic towards the original uploads.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Labhubhul posted:

Sadly, the author was very against it and told us to stop what we were doing.

I legitimately don't get why an author would be against it. The series isn't making them any money as far as I know and the only thing it getting translated will do is make them more popular with people who don't speak Japanese. (Meaning an audience they would otherwise not have.) Did they give any reasoning for their decision?

She did not.

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

Labhubhul posted:

Sadly, the author was very against it and told us to stop what we were doing.

I legitimately don't get why an author would be against it. The series isn't making them any money as far as I know and the only thing it getting translated will do is make them more popular with people who don't speak Japanese. (Meaning an audience they would otherwise not have.) Did they give any reasoning for their decision?

Maybe she doesn't want to build an English-speaking audience. Maybe she doesn't trust a group of strangers with her work and can't or won't expend her resources establishing oversight.

There's a host of possible reasons. Ultimately it's their work and they get to decide how it's published -

If at all.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

I assume it comes down to the fact that it's taking views away from the original uploads (in this case, Pixiv and Twitter). Even when the artwork is more or less free, a lot of artists don't appreciate it when art, including translated versions of it, are uploaded on other accounts or websites instead of sharing the links/retweeting/etc, especially if it ends up getting more views on haha funny Facebook page than it does on the original post. It's probably why a handful of Pixiv artists have (hilariously) taken to translating their own stuff.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Goggled Anon posted:

I assume it comes down to the fact that it's taking views away from the original uploads (in this case, Pixiv and Twitter). Even when the artwork is more or less free, a lot of artists don't appreciate it when art, including translated versions of it, are uploaded on other accounts or websites instead of sharing the links/retweeting/etc, especially if it ends up getting more views on haha funny Facebook page than it does on the original post. It's probably why a handful of Pixiv artists have (hilariously) taken to translating their own stuff.

That's a fair enough point I suppose. Still not something I'd agree with myself for the most part. If I were a decent artist and released stuff online and people liked it enough to translate it to other languages I'd be more happy that people liked it enough to want more people to see it than worried about those versions getting more views. The only actually concern I'd have, personally, is simply that if the people translating it didn't provide source information then someone might come across it and want to see what else has been made but have no idea where to look. But I admittedly seem to be in a minority with my mindset for this sort of thing.

joined Jun 11, 2015

The main issue here is that the scanlators did not ask for permission first before scanlating. It was free, it was on pixiv, it was on twitter. How HARD was it to tell the author that you'd like to translate it to English and spread it to a wider audience? You know Japanese, you translate from Japanese, you should've known to do that. It's common courtesy. Stop defending your rudeness and apologize to the artist.

What's not to understand? Imagine you made something in English and you're very proud of it, and then all of a sudden you see it being translated in Japanese without your permission. You'd be happy you get Japanese exposure, but where do the credits go? To the scanlators and not to the author, because the audience does not understand the source language. In the end they appreciate 'the work' and not 'the author' Still doesn't make sense? Try checking your morals, maybe there's something wrong there.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

hinata0604 posted:

In the end they appreciate 'the work' and not 'the author' Still doesn't make sense? Try checking your morals, maybe there's something wrong there.

I'm pretty sure most people appreciate both the work done by the scanlators as well as the author's work itself? That's why with stuff like Mochi Au Lait's work lately you see just as much, if not more (pretty sure it's actually a lot more, at least from what I recall seeing), praise for Mochi than you do for the person doing the scanlation.

machigai kouhai Uploader
Wympw_yh
NHFH Scanlations
joined Sep 10, 2014

If you guys think this is bad just let me remind you that Yomotsuka saw a really badly translated version of one of his short LL stories he literally tweeted it and said that's why he doesn't allow translations. It's the artist's creation, unfortunately if that's how they want it that's how it's gonna be.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

You are speaking nonsense, hinata0604, when have you ever seen people here give credits to the "scanlators and not to the author"? Usually we express our gratitude to the scanlation groups, but we also praise, and discuss, and offer criticism about the authors themselves, their approach to storytelling, and whatnot. And I have not seen anyone give credits to scanlators instead of the author, as you implied. That could only happen if the scanlators post the works as their own, which is something that does not happen on this site, you can always see the author's name or internet nickname up there, next to the chapter.

I agree that asking for a permission for these non-commercial works posted on Pixiv and the like, before you start scanlating, is a proper, polite way to go about it, but I also think you are blowing it out of proportions. Generally, I agree with what Alice said on the matter.

last edited at Jul 21, 2017 3:23AM

joined Aug 16, 2015

The main issue here is that the scanlators did not ask for permission first before scanlating. It was free, it was on pixiv, it was on twitter. How HARD was it to tell the author that you'd like to translate it to English and spread it to a wider audience? You know Japanese, you translate from Japanese, you should've known to do that. It's common courtesy. Stop defending your rudeness and apologize to the artist.

What's not to understand? Imagine you made something in English and you're very proud of it, and then all of a sudden you see it being translated in Japanese without your permission. You'd be happy you get Japanese exposure, but where do the credits go? To the scanlators and not to the author, because the audience does not understand the source language. In the end they appreciate 'the work' and not 'the author' Still doesn't make sense? Try checking your morals, maybe there's something wrong there.

If it makes you feel better, we actually did apologize to the author quite a few times and felt very bad about the whole thing.
And I see your point on the permission asking and all that, but I fail to see how the credits all went to the scanlators and not to the author; we never even tried to pretend that the work was ours and did credit properly, so I really don't see your point.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Most of the time, I see scanlators get mentioned either to thank them for bringing the work of whatever awesome artist actually did the story, or getting on their case when they fuck something up. I don't think anyone's looking at Recently Added and going "Oh goodie! The new Yuri-ism is here!" instead of being excited about the author themselves, whose name is a lot more prominent.

Also arguing about permission on a site steeped in piracy is still very weird to me...regardless, it's been removed and won't be coming back.

Sans%20titre
joined Jan 25, 2017

Nezchan posted:

Most of the time, I see scanlators get mentioned either to thank them for bringing the work of whatever awesome artist actually did the story, or getting on their case when they fuck something up. I don't think anyone's looking at Recently Added and going "Oh goodie! The new Yuri-ism is here!" instead of being excited about the author themselves, whose name is a lot more prominent.

I kind of do in a way, when I see Yuri-ism or a few others as the scanlating team I'm like "ooh this is probably going to be good". Your point stands though.

It's obviously their decision but I think the author is being pretty stupid here: you posted your work on the internet on a free platform. How more obvious can it be that it is going to spread? Might as well not post it in the first place if it's how you feel about it... (Especially in regards to not wanting people to use their work as avatar etc, I can understand wanting to make sure it isn't mistranslated)

last edited at Jul 21, 2017 2:47PM

joined Jul 30, 2017

Mr. Arckuno - Contact me (translate Dear my Girl 2 - Akane no Monogatari) - terrol589@gmail.com

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I liked this author's work. I looked forward to more of it. But unless it ever gets an official English translation, I'll probably never see it again.

joined Jul 31, 2013

I don't think the scanlators did anything wrong. Thank you for bringing this new series to our attention, and I will gladly read anything you pick out next, hopefully by a more open-minded author.

joined Mar 15, 2017

This is confirmed to be one of the series on Yurihime@pixiv (YH's web manga platform), starting Sept 28th. I guess it'll be a new version.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

This is confirmed to be one of the series on Yurihime@pixiv (YH's web manga platform), starting Sept 28th. I guess it'll be a new version.

What! I'm hyped. Too bad I'll still have no idea what they say.

joined Jan 22, 2017

What! I'm hyped. Too bad I'll still have no idea what they say.

Though unlikely, maybe somebody could ask to translate, and then look into posting on Pixiv or wherever else under the artist. At the very least, I wanna be able to keep up with it :c

A85b3543-23b0-436a-a1a7-7ef9eb4e7778
joined Apr 30, 2016

18 days until September 28th, I can't wait!

joined Feb 2, 2016

I don't where to ask but what happened to the chapter here they vanished

last edited at Sep 27, 2017 12:41PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.